JANUARY CHALLENGE GROUP

Options

Replies

• chownot
    chownot Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    A friend that has done Atkins recommended drinking a "Zero" drink (no calorie/no carb) as it helps with electrolyte replacement and the Atkins "flu". I drank one and felt a ton better.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    I should have reset my weight but I'm down 4 pounds in a week, and that includes a lot of snacking on Saturday night that could have knocked me out of ketosis and over calorie limit. Great motivation, finally feel like I have control of myself again. Half way through the month! I think I could get down 12 pounds this month. Sick of looking back and wishing I had stuck with it and starting over to relose weight I've lost about 20 times before. The first time I did Atkins/low carb I didn't know as much as I do know and all the tools, like ketosis strips and what a fat fast is so I should really have the hang of this by now.

Hope everyone is on track so far in January!

Just wondered, what is a fat fast?
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    its entirely possible to get smaller and not see the scale go down, its happend to me, because the pants feel loser, I did loss 2 more pounds this week so far, kinda fun, I just hope everyone is staying positive and staying away from those sugar alchols and keeping the net carb thing on a short leash, if you do , you too will have success!!
  • LuluNH
    LuluNH Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    SW: 178
    CW: 172
    GW: anything under 173!!

Yeah! I'm in new territory for the first time since before Christmas!! Yikes it takes time to recover!!! I'd love to see 170 or 169 by the end of January!!

I agree with Timwhoa - your body may be changing before any progress is seen on the scale. The scale can be so frustrating. When I re-started Atkins last year, I had some old pants I saved from 10 years ago and used them as a gauge for my progress. This time around I have donated all clothes that are too big - I am not saving them in case I "get big". If I slide, I would have to go out and buy something. I plan on long term success this time!! Best wishes for an on plan day!!!
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Options
    Tim, thanks for the encouraging post...I'm in 'large' ketosis for the first time and yet I only lost .2 lbs each day for the last 2 days. But, I think you're correct in saying that the body might show the loss before the scale for some people. I can feel my (rather large) stomach getting smaller. Atkins stresses that you should take measurements ( so you can see changes if the scale doesn't move), and I haven't as it's not something a woman in my position wants to do lol!
    Last night (day 8), I felt hungry for the first time, so I overdid it on the cheese...Atkins says no more than 4 ounces of cheese and I had almost double that for a snack. This morning I thought the ketosis strip wouldn't show any burn, but it did...in fact, it was more than usual.
    I like Tim's philosophy of just keep at it and success will come.

Lulu, I like your idea of trying on clothes to see the loss.
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I am down 7 pounds now for the month of January!! YAYA! ,, is the 4 oz of cheese from the new atkins books or the old atkins books?, i need to look into that one
  • dyladog
    dyladog Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    NICE work Tim!
  • tunesntea
    Options
    I didn't lose anything this morning so I guess I'm finished with the quick drop in the beginning!
    I'll wait to weigh until Monday if I can stand it and just do what I'm supposed to do over the weekend and not worry about the scale number.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Options
    Tim, the book I'm reading is called "DR. ATkins New Diet Revolution" and was published in 2002.
    He says not to eat more than 3-4 ounces of cheese a day during induction. For me, that's the only hard part to follow, but I try.
    I don't know how the diet changes after two weeks. I'm waiting for another week to read the next part of the book.
  • ox_MadisonBailey_xo
    Options
    Joined atkins 4.5 months and have already lost 35 pounds! :) Just found this group, awesome!
  • chownot
    Options
    Started Atkins about 12 days ago. Not only am I not hungry and have no cravings but I have a complete disinterest in food. I simply don't want to eat. I wonder for those of you that increased your carbs by adding 5 grams of carbs by fruit did it increase your appetite?
  • LuluNH
    Options
    Chownot - I have read about other people becoming disinterested in food on Atkins most advise them eat regularly or it will have a negative impact. Personally, I feel compelled to eat most of the time and struggle daily to manage portion control. It is very rare that I am actually hungry but I always want to eat - so I don't have any firsthand knowledge of this issue.( I'm a work in progress!! )

Holding at 172.... Looking for 171 or 170 by the end of this month, then a countdown to my realistic goal!!
  • Helenabc
    Helenabc Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Chownot - I have read about other people becoming disinterested in food on Atkins most advise them eat regularly or it will have a negative impact. Personally, I feel compelled to eat most of the time and struggle daily to manage portion control. It is very rare that I am actually hungry but I always want to eat - so I don't have any firsthand knowledge of this issue.( I'm a work in progress!! )

Holding at 172.... Looking for 171 or 170 by the end of this month, then a countdown to my realistic goal!!

Congratulations Lulu NH on getting under 173! Helen
  • Helenabc
    Options
    Hi,

I am checking in for the week. I am at 163 which is a loss of 5 pounds in January! I feel like I have momentum and it is easier to make the low carb choices. All the best to everyone for a positive week! Helen :flowerforyou:
  • Helenabc
    Options
    I am down 7 pounds now for the month of January!! YAYA! ,, is the 4 oz of cheese from the new atkins books or the old atkins books?, i need to look into that one

Congratulations! January is going to be a great month for you. Helen
  • LuluNH
    Options
    Helenabc - Keep up the great work!! Just curious if you know about how many carbs/calories you are eating in the 160s. I find I have to stay under 100 carbs (under 50 is better) and close to 1200 - 1300 calories. It's been a year and I eat no bread, rice, potatoes or pasta - even low carb versions because they trigger me to eat and I could not lose/maintain. I exercise everyday because I am trying to make it a habit....I just wanted to know if others had to eat so close to a certain carb/calorie range.
  • chownot
    Options
    Congrats! I have the new Atkins book and it states up to 4oz of cheese/day. Keep up the good work.
  • chownot
    Options
    Welcome, I new to Atkins and love being part of a supportive group.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Options
    Welcome Chownot: I've been doing ATkins and feel a lot better than when I started. I've been on Atkins for 11 days and lost 6 lbs. Even if it's water weight, it's more than I could do just counting calories.
    I know you're sceptical about the diet. You may want to read another helpful book called "Wheat Belly". It focuses a lot more on the science of wheat and carbs. It's not a 'diet' book, but the author refers to Dr. Atkins in a positive way.. It seems Atkins has led the way to a lot of ideas on healthy lifestyle eating.
  • 50racinggirl
    50racinggirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am in. Sorry for the late join. I haven't been on here much yet this new year. I've started Induction today and I am having a pretty good day so far.

An update

SW--219.4
    1/15/14--215.4
    Goal--160