New to the Group? Introduce yourself here.

Options

Replies

• karenrich77
    karenrich77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    G'Day All!

My name is Karen, I'm 36 from Australia. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes yesterday.

I had a feeling this diagnosis was coming, I mean I am 370 pounds :(

I have suffered with Fibromyalgia for 3 years and have struggled to exercise due to the pain and fatigue. and have put on 100 pounds in this time from emotional eating. My former GP couldn't be bothered testing me for Diabetes so I suspect I have gone undiagnosed for some time which I am very angry about.

Now my train of thought is, it's now or ever. I lost 5 pounds in my first week on MFP and love it. I am managing around 15 minutes on a stationary recumbant bike at this point and hope to increase this to 30 mins each day over time if my pain levels stay steady.

My diagnosis of Diabetes has hit me hard, I already feel like my life is over, this is one bell I can't unring.

I am yet to see my diabetic educator so am floundering around not wanting to eat ANYTHING just in case... and exercising hard trying to make myself thin overnight. Firstly I know I can't do that, and Secondly I know I SHOULDN'T do that, Thirdly my pain levels are sky high because I am exercising harder than I should and that makes me WANT to eat.

It's all just so scary. I just see myself living on carrots and celery until the day I die and I know in my heart it's not that bad but the unknown is so very scary.

I hope I can hang around here and get some tips and see people who are actually losing the weight and getting their lives back.

So... shoot me a message anytime :)

Kaz
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    G'Day Kaz, Welcome!

Sorry to hear your former GP was not capable of meeting your needs. I suspect there are many here in the states too, who share your experience. You have a great attitude, train of thought and approach, by taking control over your diabetes care.

The MyFitnessPal program is truly a great tool to utilize in helping us track our food choices and the effects those choices have on our blood sugar management. Additionally, introducing exercise in to your schedule will be beneficial too. Please know, it's improvements that win not perfection. There are many people living productive lives successfully with this condition well in to there 80's and beyond.

An initial diagnosis is overwhelming to be sure. Set short term goals, baby steps, and reward yourself when you meet those goals, and be proud of yourself when you achieve them.

Use this program, it's a valuable tool, in addition to meeting with your diabetes educator. Test your food choices against a blood sugar monitor if you have one, to learn what effects, if any those choices you've made is within your blood sugar management goals.

Avoiding meals isn't a sustainable solution. I've gone that route too. Find a plan that works, and stick to it like glue.
    It's natural to want to change overnight. Been there too. You've got this with your winning attitude!

Congrats on your weight loss so far! wtg!
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here to MFP. It's my first week still. I have Type 2 Diabetes and have managed it with diet for a year now. My A1C last month was 5.5% and steady. I hope to learn more and help others on my journey here to reach my goal weight over the course of this year.
  • Lesa1129
    Lesa1129 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Lesa and I was just diagnosed last week. Everything right now is very confusing when I go to the store it takes me hours as Im trying to read all the labels and Im still confused. The Dr set me up for a class March 4 but what do I do in the mean time. I know low carb but then I see some things say net carbs? What do I count? What do I eat? What do I really need to stay away from? The Dr put me on Metafomin and also said I need to go on Pravastatin since most diabetics have high cholestrol and mine is borderline. HELP!!!????
  • Lesa1129
    Lesa1129 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    KarenRich77 ---I am new at this too and have a lot of weight to lose too. I am having the same feelings you are having. I feel like I have lost control of my life. Maybe we can do this journey together?:smile:
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Hi Lesa1129, Welcome!

You've made a great decision to sign up and use the MyFitnessPal program and the great tools it offers to help you reach your goals. Being diagnosed with D is overwhelming at first, with oftentimes so little information given out or instruction on what to do to help us navigate through everything required to care for ourselves properly moving forward.

If you haven't already I would encourage you to seek out a recommendation for diabetic education classes from your doctor as many newly diagnosed with diabetes find them very beneficial.

Have a look around the various threads and ask questions when you're feeling comfortable. Their many knowledgeable and experience members of this group are eager to help and share their experiences in their effort to help.

I welcome the opportunity to offer you any help I possibly can.

Nice to meet you!

Good luck
  • Housekat61
    Housekat61 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi Im Chrys. I am managing type 2 diabetes. And I have a question for any professionals out there. I have been following a plant based diet so im mostly vegetarian with the exception of some dairy , egg whites and fish. The challenges Im facing are this. I am trying hard to reach my mini weight loss goal of 10 lbl s by the end of March. I am 235 and hope to be 225 by then. My diet has been mostly spot on ,however, I am having problems meeting my caloric goal by the end of the day ( i have approx. 800-900cals left over by the end of the day.) and I don't want to mess up my metabolism by eating to few calories. What are some ways I can boost my calories, stay within my range and maintain my vegetarian diet?:happy:
  • charleswwarner
    charleswwarner Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am trying to keep the carbs down to 30 g or less per meal. I have T2 & If I can make friends and get advice here that would be great. Trying to lower my T2 with diet & exercise and yes I am on Metformin at least for now.
  • Arleen316
    Arleen316 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi All!
    My name is Arleen, I am coming back to MFP after a long stint using Lose It. (or not using it...yeah...)
    I was diagnosed in August 2011 and for over a year I was controlling my blood sugar through diet and exercise...but about 6 months ago I fell off the food and exercise wagon and my numbers have been creeping up steadily. I have put off going to the Dr. because I want to go when I can show an improvement...wonderful Catch 22 there...but today I went for a walk after work, and logged my food for the first time in forever. Today just felt like it was the day to have a fresh start. I look forward to getting to know you guys :)
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Hi Arleen, Welcome!

It is indeed a difficult task to find a plan that works, then sticking to it. I've had the same experience attempting to my manage diabetes countless times over the years since my diagnosis in 1982. It wasn't until I found MyFitnessPal and the tools it offers that i realized actual improvements with my blood sugar control..

It's great you've made the decision to take control over your diabetes by making a fresh start.

Glad you've joined us, best wishes on your journey!
  • gklingel52
    gklingel52 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Gary and I live in Orange County, CA. I am 62 and was diagnosed with T2D (6.9) about 4 years ago. After losing too many friends too early, I decided to take things (my health) more seriously now that retirement is on the horizon for both my wife and I.

I too am on Metformin and would nothing more that to drop it (and my BP med) from my pill regiment! I was recently given the opportunity to meet regularly with a Nutritionist who specializes in Diabetes. She is a God-sent and has put me on track to a healthy lifestyle that includes eating right and exercise (aerobic walking). Its been 2 weeks and I already feel better than I have in a long time!

Look forward to being apart of this group and receiving the support I know I will need from time to time.

Thank you for having me!! :happy:
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Chrys, I'm not a profession but here's my 2 cents worth - If I was vegetarian and wanted to add calories, I would do it with nuts. I LOVE almonds and that is my go-to snack. They are good for you and are a healthy fat. Just my opinion, but I've never had them make my blood sugars spike. AND they have a good amount of calories. I usually limit myself to 6 or 7 (a serving). Walnuts and cashews would also be good.
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Hello, my name is Gary and I live in Orange County, CA. I am 62 and was diagnosed with T2D (6.9) about 4 years ago. After losing too many friends too early, I decided to take things (my health) more seriously now that retirement is on the horizon for both my wife and I.

I too am on Metformin and would nothing more that to drop it (and my BP med) from my pill regiment! I was recently given the opportunity to meet regularly with a Nutritionist who specializes in Diabetes. She is a God-sent and has put me on track to a healthy lifestyle that includes eating right and exercise (aerobic walking). Its been 2 weeks and I already feel better than I have in a long time!

Look forward to being apart of this group and receiving the support I know I will need from time to time.

Thank you for having me!! :happy:

Hi there Gary, Welcome!

It's truly wonderful you've found a nutritionist specializing in diabetes and feeling like you're on track with the right mix to accomplish your goals. Equally important and wonderful is the fact you're your feeling better in short notice already!

This is a very supportive group, not only eager for your future contribution to this community, but also help see you through the rough spots when they occur too.

Glad you've decided to join us!:drinker:
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Hi Im Chrys. I am managing type 2 diabetes. And I have a question for any professionals out there. I have been following a plant based diet so im mostly vegetarian with the exception of some dairy , egg whites and fish. The challenges Im facing are this. I am trying hard to reach my mini weight loss goal of 10 lbl s by the end of March. I am 235 and hope to be 225 by then. My diet has been mostly spot on ,however, I am having problems meeting my caloric goal by the end of the day ( i have approx. 800-900cals left over by the end of the day.) and I don't want to mess up my metabolism by eating to few calories. What are some ways I can boost my calories, stay within my range and maintain my vegetarian diet?:happy:

Hi Chris, Welcome!

I too echo cathylopezs' suggestion of adding almonds to your meal plan, It actually takes part in my daily plan by adding them to the nutri-bullet recipe I enjoy so much!
  • jamies7852
    jamies7852 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, My name is Jamie. I'm Type 2 (MODY - Maturity Onset Diabetes of the Young). I have had diabetes since I was 17. I was able to control my diabetes by exercise and diet throughout college and grad school. But of recent, it's been a struggle to control it. My recent A1C was 10.4, which actually came down from 11.3 last year. I am recently married. I would like to have children but I won't have them until I get my sugar under control. I'm at 258 lbs so obviously I need to lose some weight. My first goal is lose 50 pounds. I'm here to get some support and ideas to control and manage my diabetes. I know I can do this!
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Hi Jaimies7852, Welcome!

Congrats on your recent marriage too. You're certainly no stranger to the struggles we face when attempting to managing our diabetes in addition to juggling any other medical conditions we have.

It's wonderful your recent A1C showed improvement. over last years lab result. Its a tough task, even when we make every effort to accomplish improving our blood sugar management control and goals.

The good news is. you've found MyFitnessPal, along with it's wonderful tools to help us track our food and fitness choices, and this very supportive community to also help cheer you on.

Best wishes for the same success I've enjoyed!

~Bob
  • eat4god
    eat4god Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am Julia Mitchell and I am new to having Type 2 Diabetes. My mom had it. I am kind of on my own with it so am hopeful I can get some insight by watching and listening to you all.

This morning my resting blood glucose was 129.

I have lost 21 pounds so far. I started at 272 pounds! Woo-hoo! Only 80 pounds to go. : ( But...I had 100 pounds to lose and I am 1/5 of the way there already so that is great!
  • SANGSTER63
    SANGSTER63 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Linda I have been on here for over a year.
    All I did was track my food so I stay stay in my cal. range. I do well at that my sugar is not where I like it. It has been 8.3 around there .I like to keep it around 5.9 or lower. when it high I feel sick.One of my gouls have been to get off the meds..All my test come back good..Going to try something new and see if it works.

I have lost 50 lbs. so far and a lot more to go. [LINDA] JET2003
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Hi! I am Julia Mitchell and I am new to having Type 2 Diabetes. My mom had it. I am kind of on my own with it so am hopeful I can get some insight by watching and listening to you all.

This morning my resting blood glucose was 129.

I have lost 21 pounds so far. I started at 272 pounds! Woo-hoo! Only 80 pounds to go. : ( But...I had 100 pounds to lose and I am 1/5 of the way there already so that is great!

Hi Julia Mitchell, Welcome!

Congrats on your weight loss so far. That's an improvement to be proud of. You're doing great!

Please know your not alone here. This group is very supportive, encouraging and experienced, eager to answer any questions you might have in addition to sharing their experiences with you on what works for them, and what doesn't work. It's important to know each of us is unique with one size not fitting all. Each of us has different goals and expectations along with the guidelines set by our healthcare providers.

Have look around the various pinned, and other past threads in this group. Feel free to ask questions when you feel comfortable.

I welcome the opportunity to offer you any help I possibly can.

Best wishes Julia!
  • Damensha
    Damensha Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone! I'm Jenn and was just diagnosed with Type II diabetes this past November. Thankfully I'm not on any meds yet and am trying to keep off them with diet control. I've lost about 15-18 lb. since Christmas so far and am actually looking forward to my next A1C to see if feeling better has equated to better numbers. I've kind of taken this diagnosis as a challenge rather than be all in the dumps about it. Let's face it, I live in the heart of the South, I've been overweight my whole life, and I'm pretty lucky to have made it this far without diabetes. My issue so far has been my work schedule. I hope there are some other night shift workers here that can help me to figure out how to work the crazy sleeping patterns, crazy meal times, checking sugars, and trying to keep everything on track. Anyway, I'm happy to be here!