New to the Group? Introduce yourself here.

Options

Replies

• bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Linda I have been on here for over a year.
    All I did was track my food so I stay stay in my cal. range. I do well at that my sugar is not where I like it. It has been 8.3 around there .I like to keep it around 5.9 or lower. when it high I feel sick.One of my gouls have been to get off the meds..All my test come back good..Going to try something new and see if it works.

I have lost 50 lbs. so far and a lot more to go. [LINDA] JET2003

Hi Linda, Welcome. Happy you've joined us!

It seems we all are trying something new at times to find out what works, then sticking to that plan like glue. Not an easy task for sure.
    Your weight loss accomplishment is very commendable too! WELL DONE!
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Hello Everyone! I'm Jenn and was just diagnosed with Type II diabetes this past November. Thankfully I'm not on any meds yet and am trying to keep off them with diet control. I've lost about 15-18 lb. since Christmas so far and am actually looking forward to my next A1C to see if feeling better has equated to better numbers. I've kind of taken this diagnosis as a challenge rather than be all in the dumps about it. Let's face it, I live in the heart of the South, I've been overweight my whole life, and I'm pretty lucky to have made it this far without diabetes. My issue so far has been my work schedule. I hope there are some other night shift workers here that can help me to figure out how to work the crazy sleeping patterns, crazy meal times, checking sugars, and trying to keep everything on track. Anyway, I'm happy to be here!

Hi Jenn, nice to meet you. Welcome!

Congrats on your weight loss accomplishment, that's a great start towards better blood sugar control. You have a great attitude and approach by taking on this diagnosis as a challenge. When applied correctly this program offers some great tools to help us achieve and improve our blood sugars, by tracking the foods we eat and the test results our meters show to learn how those food choices effect our blood sugars.

Good luck, and best wishes!
  • Singlemomgoingcrazy
    Options
    Hi all, I'm Rachel. I was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last week so this is all new to me. I am taking something called Amaryl for it and have my diabetes education classes scheduled to start next week. I'm open to any friend requests and especially hints and suggestions!
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Hi Rachel, welcome to the T2 D Group!

It's great you're scheduled to start D educational classes soon, as many of those afforded this opportunity find them to be very beneficial when initially diagnosed.

Have a look around the various pinned threads, in addition to the other topics posted, and ask questions when you feel comfortable.

They're many knowledgeable, supportive and experienced members of this group eager to help you, as you move forward on your journey.

Friend request sent.
  • Beritsmom
    Beritsmom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Laura. found out I was diabetic in April of 2012. It's been a rough 2 years, I have lost my grandmother, my dad, step-sister a cousin ,2 aunts and my father-in law. I have come to a decision that I need to get healthy for my young son. I need to be there for him. I am an older parent. Was told I could never have children and after 15 years of marriage God blessed me with the most precious little boy and I want to be here a long time for him. I have been on metformin and it seems to work fairly well. But there are times I am baffled, last night I had salmon for dinner and skim milk and this morning my sugar was 128. That's high for me in the morning. That really shocked me. Just had all my blood work done so I am waiting on the results. I hope they are good, we will see. I am looking forward to tips and support.
    Thanks!
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Hi Laura, Welcome!

I wish to extend you my condolences for the loss of your family members. Oftentimes when we try and work through these events in life do we come away from these experiences, realizing and learning, what truly is important in life.

One of the most puzzling issues with having diabetes is, it's consistently inconsistent. The good news is by using this program as intended, it will help you track and make healthier food choices, testing those choices against your meter to find a plan that works for you, then stick to it like glue. Not an easy task. Each of us is unique when it comes to managing this condition, adding to our confusion.

This is a wonderful, supportive and very encouraging group eager to share their knowledge and experiences with you, and each other to learn, and to also find out what works, and what doesn't work when managing our condition.

Good luck!
  • Valereee
    Valereee Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm Valerie, just turned age 57 and live in Northern Minnesota. I've been T2 since 1999. At one point I took 100 units of Lantus per night, but am now down to 30 a night, and don't take any oral diabetes meds. I've included total weight loss on my tracker, but in reality I've only been working hard to eat right since November and have lost 29 pounds since Thanksgiving. I'm not religious about testing my blood sugars, but my morning readings are usually between 75 and 82. One hour after Thanksgiving dinner I took it and it was 123. I don't even know if that's good or bad! I have open, leg ulcers covering almost 50% of my legs and they say it's from diabetes, so I try hard to count carbs.

My problem is that I have no idea about my intake of carbs per meal. At one time I was told to never go over 35 carbs per meal, then another person told me I could eat 45 per meal! I have been without health insurance for 15 years and am finally insured now. I live in a rural area, small town, and am looking for a diabetes educator. But in the mean time, does anyone have any suggestions for carb intake? Thanks so much!
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Hi Valerie, Welcome!

I'll be 57 too this coming June. It's wonderful you were able to reduce your Lantus needs, in addition to not needing the help of oral diabetes meds to control your blood sugars. Congrats on your weight loss since November too!

There are many T2D's who would be envious of your mornings' meter results.

Each of us is unique along with and our healthcare providers approach to our care, having different goals and expectations with regard to healthy blood sugar ranges and diabetes management.

The good news is, you've found this powerful program to help you track your food choices against your meter to learn if the choices you've made are acceptable to you and your goals. If not an adjustment may be necessary to reduce a portion size, or eliminate that choice altogether, or store this info in the back of our mind, as an occasional treat. It's all trial and error, and there isn't perfection, only improvement.

This program when applied honestly and correctly has been one of, (if not) the most valuable tools towards my success.

It's great you've attempted to seek out a diabetes educator course in your area, as many of us have found these sessions to be very beneficial.

In the mean time, have a look at the links provided within pinned on-line diabetic resource topic, in addition to the other various threads of interest to you, within this group.

Ask questions when you feel comfortable. There are many knowledgeable, encouraging and supportive members of this group eager to help you reach your your goals.

I welcome the opportunity to help you whenever possible.

Best wishes towards your good health and continued success!
  • Valereee
    Valereee Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much for your warm welcome! Believe me, my glucose readings were NOT like that before I started logging on MFP, so it definitely works. I'm anxious to see an A1C. My problem is that yes....I always counted the carbs --- but that's all. To make up for no carbs I was eating things like bacon cheeseburgers on 1 slice of bread, globbing butter on everything. When I started charting on MFP, WOW was I ever shocked to see how many calories and fat I was eating per day, even though I had my carbs in check. Total lifestyle change for me and so far it's working. Thanks for your help and suggestions!
  • theocine
    theocine Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Call me Nettie. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes last year shortly before Thanksgiving. Wow - what a difficult time to restrict what to eat! I'm on Metformin 2x500mg twice a day. Along with diet control, I've gotten my daily glucose readings much closer to 100 both morning fasting and night time. AND I've had a good steady drop in weight.

I began using MyFitnessPal almost immediately to try to track what I was eating. My doctor gave me two goals: 1500 calories a day and 30-45 g carbs per meal (though sometimes my lunch has been much lower). I've found it easier than expected, even though I'm not doing enough exercise - yet. Though perhaps lifting boxes counts. I'm in the midst of preparing for a move across country as I also lost my job. Sigh. Challenges and opportunities. But i've lost over 20lbs.

I have two or three times had a glucose reading in the low 80s as I went to bed: Since my readings usually goes down overnight and I wasn't sure how low to allow it to go (another question for the doctor next week!), I chose to eat a chocolate square. Just one.

I'm looking forward to my next A1C reading this week.
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Hi Nettie, welcome!

It's wonderful you've achieved such good success and progress using this powerful tracking program to help you reach your goals since your diagnosis. Congrats!

Each of us is unique, and how our bodies react to lower blood sugar levels. Clinically, a test result of 70mg/dL is widely considered to be borderline hypoglycemic in T2 diabetes. Discussing your recent results with your Doctor next week is a sound decision.

Sorry to hear you lost your job. It's a very stressful and life changing event to work through. Not to mention the additional stress of navigating a move, finding new doctors your comfortable with.

There are many encouraging, knowledgeable and supportive group members here, eager to share their experiences with works for them and what doesn't, in addition to looking forward to your contributions too.

Best wishes and good luck with your health and your life's new journey.

~Bob
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Hi,

My name is Diann and I was told I am in a pre-diabetic range. I am looking for some insight and tools. My boyfriend was told he is diabetic and was put on metaformin. I am concerned because 6 months earlier his blood sugar was fine. He was put on celebrex and I am wondering if that would affect his blood sugar. It's been almost a month and he has changed his entire diet. He cut out all sugar and closeley monitors his carbs. He's lost 18lbs since Dec, which concerns me a little. He is still has a blood sugar hovering around 140 on average. His highest was 188 and lowest 104. I am a little concerned that they put him on this medicine and some med for his kidneys, based off of one AC1.

Is this the normal reaction to one bad Ac1 to instantly throw a bunch of meds into your system?
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    :) Hello Everyone!

I am new to posting. I have started with myfitness since mid Jan and i love the tracker. I was diagnosed with type 2 in 2010. I can honestly say I am only now trying to get control of it. Since I had a bad reaction with over medication, it is important to me to manage my diabetes with only diet and exercise. I have lost so far 7 lbs but the scale goes up and down so I dont count on it too much. I am a following a more whole food, low carb diet plan and so far my blood sugar have improved dramatically. I went from fasting b/s 250 to now 160-170 (without medication). :) But I know how important diet and exercise are so I am also incorporating zumba and strength training daily.

I love hearing everyone's success stories and learning what can work.
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi Genmon00!

According to my endocrinologist's diabetes educator it is the spikes after eating that keep the weight hanging around. I don't know the mechanism of it. All I know is that when I got tight control of my BG with meds (metformin and byetta) I lost a lot of weight - along with tight control of what I ate, at a deficit. I'm 56 and it had been 10+ years since I had been able to have any significant weight loss. Those were the 10 years my diabetes wasn't controlled.

But at your age, this might not be the case. Just keep working on your eating and exercise. Only time will tell.
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Hi Genmon00, Welcome!

I've too, love the myfitnesspal tracking program. It's been a very powerful tool for me, when applied correctly, and a huge help to me when tracking my carb choices, and how those food choices I've made, effect my blood sugars.

Congratulations on your weight loss and improved blood sugar control. Your progress is wonderful and commendable. Not an easy task for many of us.

Congrats!

I welcome the opportunity to offer you any help I possibly can.

Best wishes on your journey!
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Hi,

My name is Diann and I was told I am in a pre-diabetic range. I am looking for some insight and tools. My boyfriend was told he is diabetic and was put on metaformin. I am concerned because 6 months earlier his blood sugar was fine. He was put on celebrex and I am wondering if that would affect his blood sugar. It's been almost a month and he has changed his entire diet. He cut out all sugar and closeley monitors his carbs. He's lost 18lbs since Dec, which concerns me a little. He is still has a blood sugar hovering around 140 on average. His highest was 188 and lowest 104. I am a little concerned that they put him on this medicine and some med for his kidneys, based off of one AC1.

Is this the normal reaction to one bad Ac1 to instantly throw a bunch of meds into your system?

Hi Diann, Welcome!

Metformin is a widely prescribed effective med after an initial diagnosis of T2 D.

It's very important for him to discuss the effects of his Celebrex treatment along with any other meds he's currently taking with his healthcare team, and what effects if any, these medications might have on his blood sugar control, in addition to any weight loss concerns he might have.

I would encourage you both to seek out a Diabetes Education course in your area as many newly diagnosed with a condition of diabetes find them to be very beneficial.

I've found this site below to be extremely helpful in understanding how to live a healthier lifestyle with a condition of diabetes.

www.bloodsugar101.com

Additionally, the pinned "Helpful Online Diabetic Resources" topic offered within this community might be helpful to you and your BF too.

Best wishes.
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Thanks, We're going to see an endo. The person who prescribed him all of this is a nurse practioner and she is the one that put him on the celebrex and then the metaformin and then something for his kidneys...it just seems to me she's stacking one med on top of another.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I have a very strong "inheritance" of diabetes (7 out of my maternal aunts and uncles have it along with my mother and grandmother!) and some of my aunts have used byetta which did make them lose weight and none have gained it back. Since I just getting health insurance back, I will be able to get medication regularly and I am open to try it again. However, I know alot of managing this disease is with better food management. And it working! LOL I just dont want to have so many medical problems as my family all due to this inheritance :(
  • bdubya55
    Options
    Sounds like he's got a lot going on arcana. It's great he has you in his corner for support and concerns.
    Best wishes for an informative and guiding Endo visit. :drinker:
  • bdubya55
    Options
    It's wonderful you've been able to gain access to health insurance again. It's a very puzzling and problematic conundrum this country faces-and what the future of the health insurance holds for so many.

Glad to know you're settling into finding out what works for you-and what it takes to manage this condition 24/7.
    Not an easy task.

You've got this nailed genmon00!. :drinker: