New to the Group? Introduce yourself here.

Options

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm Heidi, 72 y.o., with lots of Type II diabetes and obesity in the family. I've been overweight since before puberty and weigh twice what I ought at 260 lb. Sharing a retirement community apartment with Hubby & a cat. Other than my a1C sliding up to 9 and my scoliosis causing upright walker use, life is good. I'm on Metformin & Jardiance and the Endo just added Trulicity to the mix. I'm trying to "lean into" the appetite suppressance of Trulicity (dulaglutide) and have lost about 5 pounds in the last week. I've been an MFP member off and on for years and know that if I eat less and move more I lose weight.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Way to go on the weight loss!

I am glad you are here. You can get that A1C down...
  • RissasPieces
    RissasPieces Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hello! I was diagnosed T2 in March after my yearly blood tests. It wasn't a shock, considering last year's blood tests were pre-diabetic and I didn't make any changes. Smart, right? I am taking it very seriously now. Unfortunately, I've seen in family members what can happen when you don't.

Great to meet everyone!

I can totally relate to this! I was told about pre diabetes in 2020 and thought nothing of it then June 2022 I found myself in the ICU and it was terrifying! now its a year later and i have it under control with meds but want to get healthier and off the Insulin soon!
  • RissasPieces
    RissasPieces Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    hey yall! im Rissa a 36yo texan that was diagnosed june 2022. Ive been taking Trulicity , metformin and Lantus pretty much the whole year and am looking to take things to the next step of getting healthier! I have a goal of getting off of the insulin soon I went from tking 40 units twice a day to 20 units at night. Honestly im still lost on so much that has to do with diabetes! when i was first diagnosed it was terrifying and i was sure id be on it and get healthy but it only took one good blood test 3 month later for me to be back to my old ways. Hoping to take my health a bit more serious with some support!

• 2t9nty
    Options
    hey yall! im Rissa a 36yo texan that was diagnosed june 2022. Ive been taking Trulicity , metformin and Lantus pretty much the whole year and am looking to take things to the next step of getting healthier! I have a goal of getting off of the insulin soon I went from tking 40 units twice a day to 20 units at night. Honestly im still lost on so much that has to do with diabetes! when i was first diagnosed it was terrifying and i was sure id be on it and get healthy but it only took one good blood test 3 month later for me to be back to my old ways. Hoping to take my health a bit more serious with some support!

The "trick" is staying on top of the glucose numbers I claim. I found logging everything (food too) gave me a chance to see how I was responding. Some people find the dieticians are a help and your doctor can refer you.

It might help to try to get in a routine. It is a "lifestyle" and you have to adjust.

We are here for support!
  • 802Lundgren
    802Lundgren Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I am a 54yo bloke from sweden.
    I got diagnosed with t2d in the middle of mars. The thing is I had no clue, and I probably have had it for years. The discovery was made when I got sick and put in an intensive care unit where they did alot of tests. My initial HBA1C value was then 106 mmol/mol (about 16 mmol/L).

Anyway now my treatment is two metformin 500mg and one injection of Lantus 16 units aday and I have also changed my eating habits drastically. Last week on the 8 of june i did another HBA1C test and it was now 54 mmol/mol (about 8.6 mmol/L). My diabetes nurse was very happy and my dietitian was happy as well and it felt great to get some good news after all.

Thank you and feel free to ask me any questions. Im sure I will ask you some since Im very much a noob in this area.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I am a 54yo bloke from sweden.
    I got diagnosed with t2d in the middle of mars. The thing is I had no clue, and I probably have had it for years. The discovery was made when I got sick and put in an intensive care unit where they did alot of tests. My initial HBA1C value was then 106 mmol/mol (about 16 mmol/L).

Anyway now my treatment is two metformin 500mg and one injection of Lantus 16 units aday and I have also changed my eating habits drastically. Last week on the 8 of june i did another HBA1C test and it was now 54 mmol/mol (about 8.6 mmol/L). My diabetes nurse was very happy and my dietitian was happy as well and it felt great to get some good news after all.

Thank you and feel free to ask me any questions. Im sure I will ask you some since Im very much a noob in this area.

Welcome to the forum! It sounds like you are getting things managed. The diet/lifestyle changes make a huge impact.
  • q5xmyt49g5
    q5xmyt49g5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My name is Miche, I live in northern Kentucky. I just had the traumatic experience of pancreatitis and found out in the hospital that I have had diabetes for a while without knowing it (a1c is 9). I’m three days out of the hospital and trying to change everything in my life at once it seems. Or I just feel overwhelmed because I’m quitting smoking at the same time. For the T2, I’m starting with metformin twice a day.

I have so much to learn about food. I didn’t think I had been eating that badly. I’m glad there is a group. Thanks!
  • JuicyPlum
    JuicyPlum Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Lucy and I live in TN. I was originally diagnosed with T2 in 2009, joined MFP then but quickly gave up. I never really took my health that seriously, but last year I decided to really try to do better. This time last year my a1c was 9.3 then after 3 months of working at it it was 7.2. I am due to go back for a yearly check up in July (haven't scheduled it yet). I know my numbers should be better because my daily numbers are pretty good but I have been having trouble with my sugar level dropping while I sleep. I wake up (thankfully) drenched in sweat and sick at my stomach - test and its usually 45-65. I normally take 1000 metformin 2X daily and 2mg Glimepiride 2X daily. I dropped the second Glimepiride this week to see if that'll help. Can't see the doctor till July. I am pretty much alone on this journey and was hoping to just have some friends to talk too.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    q5xmyt49g5 wrote: »
    My name is Miche, I live in northern Kentucky. I just had the traumatic experience of pancreatitis and found out in the hospital that I have had diabetes for a while without knowing it (a1c is 9). I’m three days out of the hospital and trying to change everything in my life at once it seems. Or I just feel overwhelmed because I’m quitting smoking at the same time. For the T2, I’m starting with metformin twice a day.

I have so much to learn about food. I didn’t think I had been eating that badly. I’m glad there is a group. Thanks!

Diet has a lot to do with it for me anyway. I think there is a human tendency to want to fix everything with the right med, and lifestyle/diet changes + metformin will make a world of difference for most T2's.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    JuicyPlum wrote: »
    Hi, my name is Lucy and I live in TN. I was originally diagnosed with T2 in 2009, joined MFP then but quickly gave up. I never really took my health that seriously, but last year I decided to really try to do better. This time last year my a1c was 9.3 then after 3 months of working at it it was 7.2. I am due to go back for a yearly check up in July (haven't scheduled it yet). I know my numbers should be better because my daily numbers are pretty good but I have been having trouble with my sugar level dropping while I sleep. I wake up (thankfully) drenched in sweat and sick at my stomach - test and its usually 45-65. I normally take 1000 metformin 2X daily and 2mg Glimepiride 2X daily. I dropped the second Glimepiride this week to see if that'll help. Can't see the doctor till July. I am pretty much alone on this journey and was hoping to just have some friends to talk too.

FWIW, I never had lows on metformin. If you can get your numbers more in line, maybe the doctor would let you go off the Glimepiride?

The prospect of lows is scary. If you are checking BG, you will have a pretty good sense of where the A1C will be in July.
  • dozer60
    dozer60 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello Gang, not new to MFP but new to the group. Diagnosed with T2 in 2014 and managed pretty well over the years with diet and adjustments to meds. MFP helped me with losing @12 kilos in 2014/15. I slowly put @ 6 Kilo's back on over the last 4 years and in the last year have seen my A1c spike from 7 to 7.9. Time to get back on the MFP wagon and monitor the Carbs and Sugars. A bit more exercise and avoiding sweets and ice cream probably won't hurt either. I'm maxed out on the pills, ertugliflozin + sitagliptin 15/100 and 2000mg of Metformin. Wish me luck.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    dozer60 wrote: »
    Hello Gang, not new to MFP but new to the group. Diagnosed with T2 in 2014 and managed pretty well over the years with diet and adjustments to meds. MFP helped me with losing @12 kilos in 2014/15. I slowly put @ 6 Kilo's back on over the last 4 years and in the last year have seen my A1c spike from 7 to 7.9. Time to get back on the MFP wagon and monitor the Carbs and Sugars. A bit more exercise and avoiding sweets and ice cream probably won't hurt either. I'm maxed out on the pills, ertugliflozin + sitagliptin 15/100 and 2000mg of Metformin. Wish me luck.

Hey - glad you are here!

Stay strong... getting that weight back off will help.
  • 802Lundgren
    Options
    q5xmyt49g5 wrote: »

Hi Miche,
    just googled pancreatitis, that doesn't sound to fun. I'm glad you are better now.
    Yes, quit smoking that alone is a big thing, who wouldn't feel overwhelmed. I guess you monitor your blood glucose daily now, how is it going? And if you need some support just shout out.
  • 802Lundgren
    Options
    JuicyPlum wrote: »

Hello Lucy,
    good thinking, whats more important than your own health?
    Good work with your a1c. Btw is that (mono-s, %) ? these different units are a bit confusing to me, sorry.

Your lows 45-65 is that mg/dl? that is low..... I have so many questions. At what time is this? What and when is your meal before this happens? What is your morning glucose before you eat?
    Anyway hope you have met your doctor and maybe adjusted your medication.
  • 802Lundgren
    Options

Hi and good luck,
    you are definitely a pro compared to me, but have you tried Nicks icecream? I have just done that and it doesn't seem to spike my bg to much at least at portion size 75g, the portions nowadays are ridicilous I used to eat a whole pint by myself.
  • 2t9nty
    Options

Hi and good luck,
    you are definitely a pro compared to me, but have you tried Nicks icecream? I have just done that and it doesn't seem to spike my bg to much at least at portion size 75g, the portions nowadays are ridicilous I used to eat a whole pint by myself.

Serving size is always the "gotcha."

• jbs11
    jbs11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! I just joined, looking for details on how to eat properly so I can live a good life with this disease with which I was just diagnosed,
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    jbs11 wrote: »
    Hello! I just joined, looking for details on how to eat properly so I can live a good life with this disease with which I was just diagnosed,

Welcome to the forum! Are you going to see a dietician? Are you checking BG? Logging meals?

I realize I am asking lots of questions.
  • jmamboman
    jmamboman Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm Josh. I'm 41. I haven't been officially diagnosed with type 2 yet, but I have a follow up with my doctor this week following labs that were "significantly abnormal."

It started because I was denied coverage on a new life insurance policy. According to their test my a1c was at %8.6.

I started using myfitnesspal and exercising at the time (about a month ago). I was at 260 lbs. Now I'm at 253. The labs with my doctor had my a1c at %8.2. good to see improvement, but wondering how long it takes to really make a dent? Or is it largely weight related?

Also have had high sgpt alt and on both tests. 82 for insurance and 52 for doctor. Good to see improvement, but nervous that still "high." So far, I've been told this indicates fatty liver. Anyone else experience this?

Bottom line, I'm anticipating a type 2 diagnosis this week, which is what led me here.

Can anyone tell me.what to expect at the beginning of this journey?