New to the Group? Introduce yourself here.

Options

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Hey Josh... I had the high liver enzymes for years before the BG went crazy high between appointments. Getting the weight down will help with the BG, and eventually my liver enzymes went down too.

My guess is that they will put you on metformin, and that worked very well for me as I lost weight.

If you get the diagnosis, one of the things I found very helpful was tracking macros and monitoring BG closely. You will get a sense for how you respond to various foods as you make changes to the diet.

Part of my experience is that you get A LOT of gratuitous advice. People will tell you, "Oh, my aunt is a diabetic. She eats sweet potatoes, and they are great for her glucose readings." There is also a lot of garbage "reverse diabetes" stuff out there designed to part you from your money. Be a cautious consumer and don't get reeled in by the magic gummies or whatever.

Keep us posted...
  • jmamboman
    jmamboman Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    Hey Josh... I had the high liver enzymes for years before the BG went crazy high between appointments. Getting the weight down will help with the BG, and eventually my liver enzymes went down too.

My guess is that they will put you on metformin, and that worked very well for me as I lost weight.

If you get the diagnosis, one of the things I found very helpful was tracking macros and monitoring BG closely. You will get a sense for how you respond to various foods as you make changes to the diet.

Part of my experience is that you get A LOT of gratuitous advice. People will tell you, "Oh, my aunt is a diabetic. She eats sweet potatoes, and they are great for her glucose readings." There is also a lot of garbage "reverse diabetes" stuff out there designed to part you from your money. Be a cautious consumer and don't get reeled in by the magic gummies or whatever.

Keep us posted...

Thank you. It is encouraging to know that someone has been through a similar circumstance. My mom has been living with type 2 diabetes for 25+ years. Right now, she's been my biggest resource. I knew she has type 2, but didn't know that her father and grandfather both had it too.
    Some days I feel a lot of guilt with the coulda, woulda, shoulda's, but I'm trying to stay positive and look for the next best step from where I am now.

I plan on going through this visibly in front of my elementary school boys hoping to imprint on them a healthier lifestyle to hopefully break the chain.

Thanks again!
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    I was diagnosed in 2016 and have learned a lot in that time about myself and how I respond to things.

One of my observations is that the medical community tends to have a one-size-fits-all approach just in general. You may discover that green beans spike BG a lot more than they should. From the macros and glycemic index, etc. they shouldn't, but they do for you. So you make a note. People react in different ways to different meds. It is complicated.

Pretty much one of the best things the boys can learn from you is to stay on top of your health. The sooner things get caught, the sooner you can start working on them.
  • jmamboman
    Options
    Ok....I have the official diagnosis. Dr. Prescribed ozempic, but unless the insurance comes through...I can't afford that. Meeting with nurse next week. I am down 10+ lbs since starting a month ago! Don't feel down on energy as much as when I first started my fitness pal. Looking forward to keeping up the diet and hopefully dropping the pounds and getting healthy.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    Pretty much it is a lifestyle. You will get adjusted.

What are your BG readings looking like?
  • jmamboman
    Options
    Update: down 25lbs since I started. 15 to go before I'm officially out of obese. Still haven't met with doctor to discuss medication options, so not on anything yet.

Have switched from cycling to brisk walking on most days. It's more efficient at getting calories burned.

I don't measure blood glucose before& after every meal unless I'm eating a new food. I've got a rhythm and set of foods that it's currently working for me. That said, blood glucose before breakfast has been <120 for about a month now. Yesterday it was <100. Unmedicated.
    I'm hoping that doctor will be willing to go with me using metformin so that I don't break the bank.

Follow up is Friday, so we'll see at that time.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    jmamboman wrote: »
    Update: down 25lbs since I started. 15 to go before I'm officially out of obese. Still haven't met with doctor to discuss medication options, so not on anything yet.

Have switched from cycling to brisk walking on most days. It's more efficient at getting calories burned.

I don't measure blood glucose before& after every meal unless I'm eating a new food. I've got a rhythm and set of foods that it's currently working for me. That said, blood glucose before breakfast has been <120 for about a month now. Yesterday it was <100. Unmedicated.
    I'm hoping that doctor will be willing to go with me using metformin so that I don't break the bank.

It sounds to me as if you have a routine that is working for you. The doctor will be interested in the A1C and how that is trending.

I found that metformin worked well for me. I take it insurance said no to the Ozempic?
  • jmamboman
    Options
    Update: doctor's appointment went well. I was presented with a lot of good information on how to live with diabetes. I requested an A1C and came in at %5.9. Reminder, that's unmedicated. I'm pleased with the results and will keep fighting the good fight. I'm starting metformin and am not going to pursue ozempic or manjouro at this time. Especially given the current trends that I'm seeing, I think it's the right thing to do.
  • jmamboman
    Options

It sounds to me as if you have a routine that is working for you. The doctor will be interested in the A1C and how that is trending.

I found that metformin worked well for me. I take it insurance said no to the Ozempic?

Insurance denied coverage to ozempic, unless metformin doesn't work or I can prove that ozempic lowers my a1c for 2months. 🙄 so, pretty much denied.

Going with metformin for the time being and hopefully can see a1c be within range.
  • phantomsteve2023
    Options
    Hi, my name is Steve and I live in South London, UK.

A bit over a year ago I was diagnosed with essential hypertension (high blood pressure), then 2 months ago diagnosed with unstable angina (following a visit to A&E with chest pains) - and then 1½ weeks ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes (following blood tests ordered after my angina diagnosis!)

I kinda took the hint that perhaps I need to deal with my health!

My GP surgery said that I could try lifestyle changes (diet and exercise), medication or both. I have gone for the lifestyle changes route (although medication may be an option depending on the results of my HbA1c blood test in about 6 weeks!), so am tracking my food intake with mfp (my kitchen scales is becoming a close friend!).

I have got a few diabetes recipe books (once a week I'm normally on my own for the evening meal, as my wife and kids are out!) - I want to try different things, I think my wife (who also wants to lose weight) likes the idea of me doing more cooking :)

Since I started tracking on Tuesday, I've met my targets on the whole (and lost 1kg), the one day when I went over (on my fat intake) was the day that my wife did the evening meal!

Exercise-wise, that's harder. I am office-based so a pretty sedentary work style. I have stopped getting the bus down the road (that's about 10 mins walk, although I'm less inclined when I'm coming home from work!) and using the stairs to go to the 4th floor rather than the lift! It's only a little, but I want to build it up.... I haven't done any proper exercise for a long time!

At the moment, I'm trying to work out the best diet, so that I reduce the calories and the carbs, but keep up the protein (that's where I'm falling down a bit at the moment!)

Hopefully mfp will really help - I'm pretty sure it will, especially when I can put in recipes which don't have the nutritional info worked out for me... I had one "diabetes cooking for one and two" which had nothing, not even calories! Putting in the recipe gave the nutrional information!
  • 2t9nty
    Options

Insurance denied coverage to ozempic, unless metformin doesn't work or I can prove that ozempic lowers my a1c for 2months. 🙄 so, pretty much denied.

Going with metformin for the time being and hopefully can see a1c be within range.

Ozempic got a lot of press for weight loss. I suspect with the changes in lifestyle you have made, you will find the Metformin works well for you.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    Hi, my name is Steve and I live in South London, UK.

A bit over a year ago I was diagnosed with essential hypertension (high blood pressure), then 2 months ago diagnosed with unstable angina (following a visit to A&E with chest pains) - and then 1½ weeks ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes (following blood tests ordered after my angina diagnosis!)

I kinda took the hint that perhaps I need to deal with my health!

My GP surgery said that I could try lifestyle changes (diet and exercise), medication or both. I have gone for the lifestyle changes route (although medication may be an option depending on the results of my HbA1c blood test in about 6 weeks!), so am tracking my food intake with mfp (my kitchen scales is becoming a close friend!).

I have got a few diabetes recipe books (once a week I'm normally on my own for the evening meal, as my wife and kids are out!) - I want to try different things, I think my wife (who also wants to lose weight) likes the idea of me doing more cooking :)

Since I started tracking on Tuesday, I've met my targets on the whole (and lost 1kg), the one day when I went over (on my fat intake) was the day that my wife did the evening meal!

Exercise-wise, that's harder. I am office-based so a pretty sedentary work style. I have stopped getting the bus down the road (that's about 10 mins walk, although I'm less inclined when I'm coming home from work!) and using the stairs to go to the 4th floor rather than the lift! It's only a little, but I want to build it up.... I haven't done any proper exercise for a long time!

At the moment, I'm trying to work out the best diet, so that I reduce the calories and the carbs, but keep up the protein (that's where I'm falling down a bit at the moment!)

Hopefully mfp will really help - I'm pretty sure it will, especially when I can put in recipes which don't have the nutritional info worked out for me... I had one "diabetes cooking for one and two" which had nothing, not even calories! Putting in the recipe gave the nutrional information!

I think you are doing all the right things! You had a wake-up call, and you can turn things around. I found the MFP logging to be a big help in managing diet and getting the A1C down.
  • mjsavagesales
    mjsavagesales Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is MJ. Newly diagnosed T2 Diabetes along with several other health issues. Feeling a little overwhelmed and thought I would start with MFP to start figuring out what I'm doing wrong so I can start making changes as quickly as possible. I'm on information overload this week and need to break it down and take one step at a time, I think. Looking forward to making positive changes and learning more about diabetes management.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    Welcome to the group!

Getting a grip on just where you are is key. I found the logging and closely monitoring BG helped me figure out what I needed to do. Maybe it gave me a sense of controlling some aspect of the process when it was feeling out of control.

You can make some changes that will have a tremendous impact in my experience.
  • Sean_Glotfelty28
    Sean_Glotfelty28 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

My name is Sean and was recently diagnosed in late 2023 with type 2 and high blood pressure. Always have been “pre-diabetic” for years and weight loss and diets are hard for me to stick to. Have been starting to take my health more seriously of late, getting back to the gym and trying to diet and stick to a plan to get everything under control. At the time of testing my a1c was 12.5 and glucose after an 8 hour fast was 320. I think the week prior my sugar was up around 380-390. Looking for any tips and recommendations anyone can provide. Currently taking farxiga, lisinopril and aspirin daily
  • sequimtrim
    sequimtrim Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 67 yo female, inexorably gaining weight, with a history of high blood sugar. This week crossed the threshold, with an A1C level of 6.8. I've taken berberine for about 6 months. So maybe it's for the best. Looking forward to some medical attention, losing weight and lowering my A1C.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    Hello to you folks!

My counsel is to monitor the diet and BG closely to figure out what exactly is going on. Having a fairly consistent carb intake seems to help with the management and meds.

So if you decide that 100 net carbs is your target for the day, you want 30 to 35 at each meal. A dietician can help if your doctor can refer you to one.

One of those things I have learned is that people are different. You have to figure out what works for you. The medical community operates on the assumption that the patient is not going to take any agency and just adds meds until the A1C is at target. The consistent carb intake will help with management.
  • LFServant5
    LFServant5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello my names Louis and Im a Diabetic (pauses for hellos). Just turned forty 2 weeks ago and did blood work for kicks and found out I'm diabetic. (Glucose 290 a1c 11.7). Thry have me on the stagger metforin treatment 1 wk 1 2 wk 2 3 wk 3 and 4 wk 4 oneard. Justt downloaded thr app and trying to figuree out things. It was really intimidating that firstt day given I already have ro do daily checkins with nyself and my depression so to add another thing to the list has been hard. But I want to try to be better. Already starting tracking with diet. Doing 45% protein 30 carb 25 fat so we will see. Thanks for listening.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    Hello Louis!

It is really overwhelming at first. Progress is NEVER as fast as you want. I found metformin worked well for me. You've got this...
  • 80ah
    80ah Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 14
    Options
    Hi I’m Adrienne from Vancouver BC Canada! I’m 43 years old, and was just diagnosed with type 2 diabetes on Tuesday! I watched YouTube videos by different doctors and there is so much conflicting information about what I can and can’t eat. I will try to find a course or dietitian to understand it better. And I need to lose some weight. My husband and I had 6 years of stress and grief, loss of parents and horrible thing like that. I’ve never been a good sleeper. And I have a sweet tooth. I think all of those factors led to this. Glad I found this group! I should add I am right on the border (A1C is 6.5) so my doctor isn’t putting g me on meds yet and wants me to control it via lifestyle changes.