Mad March workout check in thread

Options

Replies

• Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    FINALLY back at it! I am slightly embarrassed by my weights because I had to deload COMPLETELY (per dr/PT) to avoid reinjuring my wrist. BUT NOTHING, NOTHING can ruin the high I feel at being able to lift again!!!
    Workout A: bench 5x5 at 45, squat 5x5 at 45, rows 5x5 at 45. I also did wrist curls with very light weight and 15 minutes of HIIT (until I felt like I would throw up then I stopped).
    So is it where I want to be? Nope...but give me a year baby!!!! :tongue:

I am monitoring my wrist pain. I don't plan to increase weight for at least 2 weeks until I restrengthen my forearm (been in brace for 5 months).

Welcome back. I always read lifting is a marathon not a sprint so you already have the right attitude!

@fisher. :drinker: for the 65lb squats!

I'm switching OHP for bench since I can't bench currently, and I figure 2xWeek OHP can't hurt!

Back squat:
    45x5, 125x5, 150x5, 185x5, 225x5, 260x<- rep PR

Ohp
    45x5, 55x5 65x5, 85x5, 100x4 <-rep and actual PR Woot!

Row:
    45x5, 65 3x5, 95x5, 115 3x5

Band assisted pullupsx3 I was going to do 3 sets but for some reason my battery was super low on my phone and I didn't want my c25k app to die in the middle of a jog and never tell me to walk.

C25k

Then I came home and made a banging quesadilla with some frozen leftover pulled beef. NOMNOMNOM
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Back to it today, hope everyone had a fantastic weekend!

@Stef - thanks for that article, that's just what I needed to read.

@AAbru - glad the wrist is healing and you're back.

@Fittree - holy crap, 100 pound OHP?!?! You're my hero.

@Wofsbayne - same to you, holy crap, 235 pound DL!!! Awesome work everyone!

Did workout B tonight. Thought I was going to be tired after my 4.5 mile run last night, but felt great. Must have been that little piece of chocolate birthday cake I had at work today!

Squats - 5x5 @ 100 pounds; deloaded on these and coming back up very slowly to keep from getting a sore back again.
    OHP - 5,5,3,5,5 @ 75 pounds; accidentally started with 85 pounds on the bar (darn that math stuff) and only realized it after only getting 3 up on the first set. So took off the extra 10 pounds and started the sets over. At least I know I will at least be able to get that much over my head when I eventually get there.
    DL - 1x5 at 155 pounds; next time I'll be attempting body weight!

Now time for some zzzzzzz's! :yawn:
  • dixoncrew
    dixoncrew Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Did workout B today...

Squats @ 100# for sets 1,2,3, and 4 and then 95# for the last set. I got stuck under the bar during set 4 and had to maneuver myself from under the bar. Here's the video if you want a laugh, feel free to make fun of me - I totally did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSNvN-luRg0

OHP @ 55#

Deadlifts, did a warm up set @ 135 and my working set was 170# (WOOHOO!!!) I may have done a little happy dance after deads today.

And I am having my husband build me a squat cage this weekend because I don't feel like repeating that squat fail. ;)

ETA: I also did 3 sets of front squats, 45#, 55#, 65#
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    FINALLY back at it! I am slightly embarrassed by my weights because I had to deload COMPLETELY (per dr/PT) to avoid reinjuring my wrist. BUT NOTHING, NOTHING can ruin the high I feel at being able to lift again!!!
    Workout A: bench 5x5 at 45, squat 5x5 at 45, rows 5x5 at 45. I also did wrist curls with very light weight and 15 minutes of HIIT (until I felt like I would throw up then I stopped).
    So is it where I want to be? Nope...but give me a year baby!!!! :tongue:

I am monitoring my wrist pain. I don't plan to increase weight for at least 2 weeks until I restrengthen my forearm (been in brace for 5 months).

Welcome back!! I had to start over too but it is so great to be lifting again!
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Finally I gave up on the doing 4-5 moves on the same dat nonsense. I guess I reached the point when thing are getting heavy :)
    Squat:
    Warm ups:45x5, 55x5
    Sets:70 lb, 5x5
    Bench:
    Sets:70lb , 5x5, I supposed to do 65 , but miscalculated the plates. It was hard and I didn't know why, until I realized I used the exact same plates as for the squat. I am not sure I will go up next time because of this.
    Barbell row:
    Warm ups: 45x5, 65x5,
    Sets: 75lb ,5x5

Otherstuff:
    Assisted pull-ups 5x5 with 95 lb assistance
    Knee ups: 12,12,10,10

Today I was on fire with the squat. First a girl was openly watching me with her mouth open, :) when I went to drink some water during rest time she sneaked into the power cage and tried to lift my weight and she couldn' t . I know I am nowhere near to many of you, but still it made me fell badass. Then one of the fittest guy in the gym complemented my technique ! He doesn't know, but he made my day. He said very nice to see somebody doing proper full squat, not the half ones that most guys doing.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I love strength training.
    And I gotta say, I also really enjoy crossfit like workouts.

So combining both makes for a pretty kickass way to wake up in the morning!

Deadlift 3/3/3+ day
    140x3
    160x3
    180x10

The last 3 reps were a little iffy because I switched to mixed grip, but I got it up! Woo! Needed 9 to beat last week's rep PR!

Then moved on to squats, 120x5x10
    I tried going high bar on the last set, but gave up right up haha. The program I'm transitioning to calls for high bar but I'll ease into it with lesser weight xD

Then my UBB 2.0 building blocks circuit which consisted of
    5 strict OHP
    15 KB swings
    10 jump lunges
    10 push press
    15 american KB swings (all the way up overhead)
    10 front lunges
    15 push jerks
    15 KB swings
    10 drop lunges

All in 8:10! Hafta say, I had to break down the push jerks in 3 sets because I was out of breath and shaky and was afraid I'd hit my face! lol. Bar was at 55lbs, KB 40. Lunges were bodyweight only (thank gawd xD). Really fun way to end a session ^^ And who needs assistance work with this? The jerk is basically a full body move! lol - And a kinda weird but fun one!

I also saw someone left a band up on the pull-up bar. I tried to do a pull-up but failed D: I was pretty gassed though. It will come!
  • Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    @stef thanks for the article, gonna read that after finishing work, just skimmed it briefly but it sounds interesting!

@redheadmommy wow, that´s great, good lift!

My workout was pretty nice too, it was B today - I was really struggeling/working/fighting today, so I think I am getting in the realm, where it´s not that "easy" anymore to gain

Squats: 42,5kg (93lbs) 5x5 - plus warmup
    OHP: still stuck at 20kg (45lbs) 5x5 - plus warmup
    Deadlift: 52,5kg /115lbs) 1x5 - plus warmup

I did my squats today between two benches due to the fact that the squat rack sidethings are too high for me. Worked pretty good, but is only doable if the gym is empty like it was today. Otherwise I cannot occupy two benches :-(
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Finally I gave up on the doing 4-5 moves on the same dat nonsense. I guess I reached the point when thing are getting heavy :)
    Squat:
    Sets:70 lb, 5x5
    Bench:
    Sets:70lb , 5x5, I supposed to do 65 , but miscalculated the plates. It was hard and I didn't know why, until I realized I used the exact same plates as for the squat. I am not sure I will go up next time because of this.
    Barbell row:
    Warm ups: 45x5, 65x5,
    Sets: 75lb ,5x5

Otherstuff:
    Assisted pull-ups 5x5 with 95 lb assistance
    Knee ups: 12,12,10,10

Today I was on fire with the squat. First a girl was openly watching me with her mouth open, :) when I went to drink some water during rest time she sneaked into the power cage and tried to lift my weight and she couldn' t . I know I am nowhere near to many of you, but still it made me fell badass. Then one of the fittest guy in the gym complemented my technique ! He doesn't know, but he made my day. He said very nice to see somebody doing proper full squat, not the half ones that most guys doing.

Awesome work!
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Squats:
    115 x 5
    135 x 5
    145 x 5
    150 x 5 (breakdown on last rep)
    145 x 3

OHP:
    50 x 5
    45 x 5

Deadlift:
    135 x 5
    155 x 5
    160 x 5

EDIT: Just sort of went with the flow. I felt good about the deads, but I think I'm going to go back to putting OHP before squats! My arms were tired by the end of the second set, and I couldn't lift it even off my chest. I looked mighty dumb trying. :embarassed:
  • JamBlaze
    JamBlaze Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Today was my first day using a power rack, after 8 months of dumb bell squats!

My gym is rubbissshhh so doesn't tell you how to use any equipment and all the men in the room think I'm a moron anyway because LOLZ FEMALE, so it was a bit of a difficulty spike for me. Happy with 5 complete sets at 40kg, even though my form needs some work. Really cool to use muscles I'm not used to using!

OHP completely stalled on the third set, but putting that down to doing push ups and dips last night (whoops!)

Deadlift still sat at 50kg with my crappy little 5kg weights, which make the bar difficult to grip (form still not good enough to increase.)

Outside of 5 x 5, also managed 102 sit-ups in a row - yay!

A good day.
  • crossroad2012
    crossroad2012 Posts: 84 Member
    Options

Back squat:
    45x5, 125x5, 150x5, 185x5, 225x5, 260x<- rep PR

Ohp
    45x5, 55x5 65x5, 85x5, 100x4 <-rep and actual PR Woot!

Row:
    45x5, 65 3x5, 95x5, 115 3x5

Band assisted pullupsx3 I was going to do 3 sets but for some reason my battery was super low on my phone and I didn't want my c25k app to die in the middle of a jog and never tell me to walk.

C25k

That is just jaw dropping! Congrats on two PR's on the same day!!!

Workout B yesterday

Squat:
    Warm up: 2x5 45lbs. 1x5 75lbs. 1x5 95lbs. 1x5 115lbs.
    Work: 5x5 135lbs. it felt scary and awesome to stick 2 45's on the bar :happy:

OHP:
    Warm up: 2x5 45lbs.
    Work: I decided to repeat 65lbs, since I was stuck at this weight so long. 5x5 no problem

Deadlift: Blah...my first failings at this. 1 and about 3/4 reps of 195lbs. De loaded to 185 and was able to do 2 nice ones and 1 extremely iffy one :laugh:

My home set up should be complete by Wednesday! My husband has been spending a lot of time on Craigslist making this happen...I am so happy!
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I am eating roughly 1700 calories. I have not had my iron levels checked.

I am sick so no workout for me yesterday or today. Hope to lift thursday! But if not i am glad for a reat. My knees have been hurting- i think from tightness due to lifting so i need to stretch more!!!
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Finally back after taking 10 days off of lifting. I went skiing last weekend and tweaked my shoulder, so I wanted to wait until there was no more pain before attempting lifts again.

Round 4 of 5/3/1, my bench press day of my 5 week.

Warmup Sets:
    5 x 45 pounds
    5 x 55 pounds
    3 x 65 pounds

Working Sets:
    5 x 70 pounds
    5 x 80 pounds
    5 x 90 pounds-I got all 5 easily, I probably could have gotten 6, but didn't want a ROS.

Assistance Work:
    Incline Dumbbell Flyes 3 x 10 with 15 pd dumbbells in each hand
    Assisted Pullups- 3 x 10 with 55 pounds supported-these are starting to get really tough, but they feel good!

I switched things up for Round 4 by doing bench and squat early in the week, then OHP and DL's later in the week. I have a hard time mentally getting through heavy squats and bench presses on my hardest week, so I figure if I do them early in the week, I'll make less excuses to put them off.

I've had to repeat my weight with squat and bench twice now, because I don't end up doing the last week of the program. For the last two weeks I've come up with excuses as to why I should skip them. We'll see if this works better.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    @neonbeige: Usually the squat rack side-thingy is adjustable. Have you tried to see if you can change the height? I always start to adjust the side-thingy in the powercage, because often too high for me too. It surprises me as I am 5'8", so definely not short, but since generally males are using it , they tend to be taller than me.

@krokador: I noticed hat you not really doing 5x5 anymore. would you mind explaining me what is the purpose of your set/rep structure. I started to see what set/reps people are doing in the gym, and nobody does 5x5.

@KaterinaTeres: I like to start with squat, but last time when I started with OHP, it definitely helped to make the reps.Maybe I should try that order more often.
  • Neonbeige
    Options
    @redheadmommy No, we unfortunately don´t have a power rack in the gym, just something like this

http://www.fitnessscape.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000002/Legend-3138-Squat-Rack.jpg

I even asked in the gym for a better idea/solution but they just told me, they couldn´t change anything for one user and I could put two steps together. WTF? That´s why I came up with this solution, which isn´t perfect but still better than squatting in the danger of being crushed :-)
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    @krokador: I noticed hat you not really doing 5x5 anymore. would you mind explaining me what is the purpose of your set/rep structure. I started to see what set/reps people are doing in the gym, and nobody does 5x5.

I did 5x5 for a while but got a bit bored with the program/progression and the time it took was getting out of hand, so I've been doing Wendler 5/3/1 boring but big for a while now. I usually don't follow a set program for the accessory work, but I'm transitioning into a different program that's closer to crossfit than pure strength training in april to train for a mud run I have in june. I need the extra conditioning pretty bad! lol.

There are many wendler calculators/variations out there. My favorite is this one: http://blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator
    It's more of an intermediate program, so the progression isn't as linear as SL, and a bit slower, but it fit with my goals a bit better and allows more flexibility with assistance work. (I've basically been making 3 days a week full body and on OHP day making it more of a "bro" day with shoulders, biceps and triceps :P)
    @redheadmommy No, we unfortunately don´t have a power rack in the gym, just something like this

http://www.fitnessscape.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000002/Legend-3138-Squat-Rack.jpg

I even asked in the gym for a better idea/solution but they just told me, they couldn´t change anything for one user and I could put two steps together. WTF? That´s why I came up with this solution, which isn´t perfect but still better than squatting in the danger of being crushed :-)

Oh, we have one that's similar at my gym and I hate using it because it's rattly, but at least the safeties are about mid tigh for me so I can use it... Well, if the bar was to fall it might flip over me... So, uh, yeah, that's why I don't use it xD I'm not sure 2 benches would be high enough to catch the bar in time if you were to fail a set either, though. Just don't try this technique to duck under the bar?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FukrLSl0hx8&amp;list=PL9jZSsBVkYtgw67te4oa5M715OxIdZZ0P
  • Neonbeige
    Options

Oh, we have one that's similar at my gym and I hate using it because it's rattly, but at least the safeties are about mid tigh for me so I can use it... Well, if the bar was to fall it might flip over me... So, uh, yeah, that's why I don't use it xD I'm not sure 2 benches would be high enough to catch the bar in time if you were to fail a set either, though. Just don't try this technique to duck under the bar?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FukrLSl0hx8&amp;list=PL9jZSsBVkYtgw67te4oa5M715OxIdZZ0P

Mid thigh? Wow, either yours is lower than mine or you are really tall :-) ours is at about waist height for me, so way too high. The benches I used today are about mid thigh, I found them almost perfect for me, I am 5'2.

The video: oho, that looks really dangerous, I think I would break my neck trying this oO

@all are you also super hungry on workout days. I feel like I could almost eat twice my allowed calories. And apropos calories, which tdee calculator did you use? I have a difference of about 200 calories from two different calculators (scooby and another one)
  • TGDMJNoles
    TGDMJNoles Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    @all are you also super hungry on workout days. I feel like I could almost eat twice my allowed calories. And apropos calories, which tdee calculator did you use? I have a difference of about 200 calories from two different calculators (scooby and another one)

I'm usually okay hunger wise on lift days but I am starving and actually feel a little weak in the morning on the days after lifting. I'm eating at a 20% deficit or a little higher though and I'm pretty sure that is why. I do find sometimes I need to bump up my intake on non-lift days. I am eating over 100 grams of protein per day. I'm trying to listen to my body and respond appropriately.

I also have a 200 calorie difference between scooby and iifym. I just averaged the two and call that my TDEE.
  • Neonbeige
    Options

I'm usually okay hunger wise on lift days but I am starving and actually feel a little weak in the morning on the days after lifting. I'm eating at a 20% deficit or a little higher though and I'm pretty sure that is why. I do find sometimes I need to bump up my intake on non-lift days. I am eating over 100 grams of protein per day. I'm trying to listen to my body and respond appropriately.

I also have a 200 calorie difference between scooby and iifym. I just averaged the two and call that my TDEE.

At what time of the day do you usually lift? I go directly in the morning, right after taking the kids to school and from around noon on I crave food. I also eat at about 20% deficit, which means around 1800 calories a day. But I think today I will not make it ;-)

I was even thinking about doing more cardio to be able to eat more - although this would probably make me even more hungry...
  • TGDMJNoles
    TGDMJNoles Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    At what time of the day do you usually lift? I go directly in the morning, right after taking the kids to school and from around noon on I crave food. I also eat at about 20% deficit, which means around 1800 calories a day. But I think today I will not make it ;-)

I was even thinking about doing more cardio to be able to eat more - although this would probably make me even more hungry...

I lift usually in the early afternoon.

Cardio…I love it when I'm finally doing it but I struggle with motivation every single day.