June Challenges

Options

Replies

• Mariang165
    Mariang165 Posts: 2,142 Member
    Options
    Welcome Learn to Live, you've already walked 10k steps ! Well done, so glad you decided to join in, I am one of the sloths of our group so 10k steps sounds wonderfully impressive to me, well done as I struggle every day to move :wink: Sign in every day, read some posts and do your diary, that is a lot to start with! Small steps, they will add up.

Angel, welcome also, glad you let us know your plans for the next few days, as Claudine said, do the best you can, try to make the best choices you can and when you do, I bet they will be much better choices than in the past! That's what lots of us try to do, just make little improvements and soon they add up and we are feeling much better about ourselves. Think of us as we will be cheering for you! :smile:

Cheers Marian
  • ker95texas
    ker95texas Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    She said something that was important. To improve the quality and quantity of your life, you need to only do 4 things!

1. Don't smoke.
    2. Get 30 minutes of exercise 5 days a week.
    3. Eat 5 servings of fruits and vegetables every day.
    4. (My personal favorite) If you drink alcohol, women should have one glass a day!
    Great advice!! However, I don't think I can change my lifestyle enough to do this, so....... Here is MY version of the 4 things - I think it might just work for me :bigsmile:
    1. Laugh. laugh often. See the funny side of things, be optimistic.
    2. Walk at least 30 minutes a day. Walking from couch/computer to bathroom/kitchen don't count, unless you work up a sweat doing it.
    3. Portion control is key. The garbage can (for leftovers or food that you can't keep out of) is our friend. Play with your food all you want - takes longer to eat.
    4. If you drink alcohol, make sure there is a designated driver to get you home safely on the RARE!! occasions you start making a fool of yourself (including being taught how to twerk) in public.

:laugh: :smokin: :laugh: :bigsmile:
  • Mariang165
    Mariang165 Posts: 2,142 Member
    Options
    Ker: I can see the Wisconsin air is invigorating you and you have certainly made me laugh! Just to show you I will try your challenge, here goes! Charlie, your advice is very valuable and thank you for sharing so pls forgive me for being silly, it's been a tough week!

1) I optimistically believe a glass equals 16 ounces. Bring on the red wine! :drinker:
    2) I do break out in a sweat caused.by worrying someone will catch me falling off the wagon and sneaking into the kitchen for a cookie that isn't planned in my diary!
    3) playing with my food burns calories so it is all good!
    4) of my gosh, the picture of this comment just is too outstandingly silly! Hey, but there would be less of me to see! :noway:

TKS Everyone for tolerating my post, I best exit stage left !,:blushing:
  • Claud1313
    Claud1313 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Ker,

I will meld your suggestions with Charlie's. I hadn't thought of the garbage can as my friend. Good idea. And definitely NO drinking and driving. When we go out, I'm the designated drinker. HaHa. But when I go it alone with the girls, I never, ever drink. Arizona has 0 tolerance for drinking and driving and I never want to be in such an embarrassing or dangerous situation.

Hope your visit with Mom is going well.

Marian, You're a tremendous positive influence to this group.

Yay Alex. The more the merrier.

Claudine
  • Rebamae
    Rebamae Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I just went out and walked again!!
    I have walked for 32 min doing 3092 cardio steps and went 1.35 for distance!!

It is just beautiful - cool cloudy and hopefully bringing some rain.

I really would rather be at the lake this week-end than going to a 50th reunion. But I am going to get ready and go.

Have a great evening!!
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Great day for you, Reba. We are all raising a glass of wine to you right now! Cheers! Have yours at your class reunion.
  • Claud1313
    Options
    Hey Reba,
    Have fun, tell us all about it, okay?
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Hope you all have a great weekend....... visiting, going to reunions, walking, drinking....lol......I am trying to have three or four no alcohol days a week and it seems to be working...... I tend to indulge Friday, Saturday and sometimes Sunday and then stay clean the rest of the week.....

Going good here....have been gardening as well as walking every day .... only two runs last week but can't fit everything into my busy day....have to keep reading too! Haha! The old saying is so true....how did I ever find time to go to work!

Keep on keeping on ! :flowerforyou:

Jean
  • alexandriabenson
    alexandriabenson Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Claudine: Not only do we have 0 tolerance for drinking and driving here, where I live you also get your name in the newspaper! :embarassed: That will just NEVER happen to me ! Alex
  • Rebamae
    Options
    Alexandria, I so very much appreciate anyone's work on discouraging drinking and driving, since I experienced first hand what it can do to individual's and families.
  • Rebamae
    Options
    Good morning all of the June Challengers!!

Reporting on my goals from yesterday:
    1. walked 6501 steps which included 32 min of cardio

2. total calories = 1350 below MFP goal and right on w/ my goal (1200 - 1400)

3. I did spend time on the message boards yesterday

4. Did not meet this goal - no eating after 9:00. I certainly did better w/ what I ate but ate again late. So today is a new day and I will DO THIS!!

The reunion get together last night was OK. We really had a lot of the class returning for this with more flying in today. Last night was just a social get together and visit. It was fun seeing everyone, but I truly think I was the heaviest one there (in the female section)

Tonight we have the dinner. This is coordinated with Larned's Santa Fe Trail Days which means there are activities all day long. I am not sure I am going up for any of it, but later tonight they are having a street dance and the band is a great one! So I imagine we will go and listen after the dinner as most of the classmates will do the same. I still haven't decided on what to wear this evening.

We did not get rain nor did we get any severe weather - but so disappointed in the 0" rainfall.

It is time I get my walking shoes on and head out the door with Mr. Barkley!!

Hope each of you have a great and special Saturday!!

We are making June Jolly by working towards onward and downward!
  • Claud1313
    Options
    Hi Reba,

You'll see, today will be better. Do some activities that interest you and enjoy the dinner and dance. After the reunion, so that you don't snack too late, perhaps you should have a bigger dinner. Or try to pick snacks, that are lean protein, like a piece of string cheese or a slice of turkey.

Have fun this week-end :-)

Claudine
  • Rebamae
    Options
    I am sooo excited! :love:
    We did get rain! YEA PTL We received 1.25"!
    The other reason I am excited - I walked 1.5 miles just now. That is the furthest I have walked in a very long time! THANK YOU friends for giving me the encouragement to do this!! :drinker:

Thank you Claudine for the help. Part of my problem is that my cupboards are very bare! The three bears would not find a thing to eat at Adams Farms :bigsmile:

Onward and downward we go
  • alexandriabenson
    Options
    Reba: Don't know if this will work for you but sometimes when I get a craving, even if it's for something sweet, I have a dill pickle and it seems to satisfy me. (Not the battered, deep-fried ones :laugh: ) Dills are low in calorie count but are high in sodium so I have to be aware of what else I ate that day. Alex :smile:
  • alexandriabenson
    Options
    Hi All: One of my challenges is getting enough calcium. Is anyone else having difficulty with this? I have been tracking it on my diary and have started to take supplements and it still shows that I am low on calcium. I have noticed that some of the foods with calcium show up on the diary as "0" but I know I still need to get more. :ohwell: Cheers and happy Saturday. Alex
  • bvifun
    bvifun Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    One of my challenges is getting enough calcium. Is anyone else having difficulty with this?

Alex.
    You piqued my curiosity about calcium. I don't track it but tried it to see what it showed. I noticed MFP just used a % based on intake but that did not help me much as most recommendations are in mg's now. And what they considered 100% was really low for an "older woman."
    I cannot have the best source of calcium.....dairy products.....not even yogurt (one of my favourites.):ohwell: so I have been taking a 1000mg supplement for about 20 years now and hope I eat enough to get another 200mg in other foods.
    I came across this site that lists how much calcium some foods have, if that is any interest to you.

http://www.dietitians.ca/Nutrition-Resources-A-Z/Factsheets/Osteoporosis/Food-Sources-of-Calcium.aspx

What are collards anyway???

Wanda
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Collards are a green. More bitter than spinach. Reminds me of turnip greens in taste. Most popular in the south.
  • Fig_1946
    Fig_1946 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is non dairy and is high in calcium. It's good, too.
  • alexandriabenson
    Options
    Thanks Wanda, I'll check out that website. Alex :smile:
  • steppingstones
    steppingstones Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Alex, What a good point you raised. I take 1200mg + D. Mady