Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Actually got in 5km after work. Pool was less crowded too. Still way warm.
    At the 4km a Chinese man wanted to 'race'. He beat me easily on the first 100m. But we touched nearly same time at 200m. I beat him to 300m because he stopped after 200m :)
    He was all smiles when i showed him my lap counter after 50 Laps. He told me he could only do 2km.
    More people doing freestyle today.
    Only got hit in the head once. So it was a good swim.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady: 1/2 mile @ 35 minutes
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    At the 4km a Chinese man wanted to 'race'. He beat me easily on the first 100m. But we touched nearly same time at 200m. I beat him to 300m because he stopped after 200m :)
    He was all smiles when i showed him my lap counter after 50 Laps. He told me he could only do 2km.

Hit in the head? By what?
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Squoze in in a 2500 between two meetings, thanks to a very understanding dean who with whom I met having come STRAIGHT from the pool-- hair still wet, face still red with afterburn, and guzzling water from her fancy-schmancy 5 gallon water cooler thingy like a parched puppy!
  • Can_Do_Gal
    Can_Do_Gal Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Swam 1,100 yards again today. I went earlier, so at a different time in relation to my thyroid meds. It was unpleasant - felt like my muscles were asleep the whole time. But I was determined, and kept going. Slowly, but still kept going.

Earlier means more kids. I didn't get hit in the head, but twice I almost collided with kids swimming through my lane. Fishgutzy, you're dedicated.
  • fishgutzy
    Options

Hit in the head? By what?

By another swimmer. No lane ropes here in China. No etiquette. People swim across the lanes. Diagonal. Stand around in the lanes.
    Defensive swimming takes some of the fun out. Have keep my eyes forward more than I do at my Y back home. Strains my neck a little too.
    But it is marginally better than not swimming at all.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options

Hey you made a friend, proves that True Swimmers are decent anywhere in the world. Hopefully he shows up again and the 2 of you can take over one outside lane - even if only for a short time- 200m - challenge him to a 300m swim.
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »

Hey you made a friend, proves that True Swimmers are decent anywhere in the world. Hopefully he shows up again and the 2 of you can take over one outside lane - even if only for a short time- 200m - challenge him to a 300m swim.

I challenged him to push himself to 5km. He said, as best as I could understand, that he can swim 2km total. I said if I can do 5km, he surely can. :)
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    1650m, 62 minutes, 14 sprint laps, mixed strokes ...little bit of a lazy swim today ...
  • juliet3455
    Options
    Short swim today with no real plan/goal. 750m mixed strokes. On the Taper from Swimming, Biking and Running for Sunday Morning Sprint Triathlon.
  • drummer_lady
    drummer_lady Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hi, new to the group!

I did swim today, and it was awesome because I had a whole lane to myself for most of my swim! I haven't been keeping track of my distances yet since I just started swimming again a couple weeks ago, but I swam for over 40 minutes today (up from 30 minutes when I started).
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    It's so awesome to see so many people making such great progress with distance and time etc. You guys are all amazing. Long live swimming!!
  • aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Hi, new to the group!

I did swim today, and it was awesome because I had a whole lane to myself for most of my swim! I haven't been keeping track of my distances yet since I just started swimming again a couple weeks ago, but I swam for over 40 minutes today (up from 30 minutes when I started).
    That sounds heavenly! I hope you're enjoying yourself.

Yesterday, I swam 1 km in about 25 minutes. I did some HIIT and really got my heart rate up there on the sprints - 160 bpm. I can't wait to be done work so I can head to the pool tonight. <3:)
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    2.5 km 56ish minutes
    Lost count abit and also interrupted half way by a young hot rod who jumped into the pool with great pomp and circumstance halfway through my 100 laps and immediately challenged me to a one length sprint race! Weird!
    I obliged :smile: then proceeded with another 50 lengths while he wandered off somewhere - perhaps abit dejected that I beat him!
    I was happy they found my trunks which I'd left behind last week :smile: Glad I didn't waste money on yet another pair of expensive trunks unnecessarily!
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Great to read all the amazing and encouraging progress by all the oldies and newbies on the forum! Wow, it's lively in here!
    Short course yards, total 3,050 yards, about 45 minutes or so.

....then 20 minutes of band work. Hate it, but have to do it for my broken shoulders.

3,000 yards in 45 min and with a busted shoulders on top of it all! Fran that sort of slow speed just will not do! Lol!
    :smiley:
    LauraRae2 wrote: »
    Then I see the lifeguard bring out some crazy equipment I've never seen before...and don some blue plastic gloves...and I decided that I didn't really need to finish my swim and went to take a shower. <shudder> Hopefully I can get the image out of my head before tomorrow's swim!
    What - did someone go for a poop in the pool? Oh my oh my!

I have realised there is such a thing as positive peer pressure in the pool. Once in awhile I will go into a chaotic pool situation and begin to swim lengths, and before you know it, suddenly everyone turns serious and by the end of the swim all are doings laps!
    Strange but true!

• aledba
    aledba Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    2.5 km 56ish minutes
    Lost count abit and also interrupted half way by a young hot rod who jumped into the pool with great pomp and circumstance halfway through my 100 laps and immediately challenged me to a one length sprint race! Weird!
    I obliged :smile: then proceeded with another 50 lengths while he wandered off somewhere - perhaps abit dejected that I beat him!
    I was happy they found my trunks which I'd left behind last week :smile: Glad I didn't waste money on yet another pair of expensive trunks unnecessarily!

Way to show those young ones. And so glad to hear your trunks are found!

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    2500 in 60 minutes. Another squeezer between meetings.
  • LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Trying to get into the schedule i think I'm going to do once school starts again, so swam this evening and only had time for 36 minutes but i managed to do 1400 yds in that time.

300 warm up
    4x 50 pull/50 kick/50 swim
    4x interval+10
    ...and then there were 8 minutes until we got kicked out so i did another 300.
  • juliet3455
    Options
    Like @AquaticQuests I am impressed by all the New Swimmers just learning, Old Swimmers getting back into the splish/splash and all the Long time members for there speed/distance and continuous encouragement of everyone.
    As one of the Life-Guards/Swim Instructors said in my lessons last year everyone can learn from anyone no matter what their experience/skills. We all have different swim experiences and someone with less experience may have fought through the same issue that a "Mature" swimmer is suddenly fighting with. I remember reading how @stephenrhinton said that breathing was a pause in the stroke - I had never thought of it as that- applied that simple comment to my weak side breathing to slowdown the process and was able to improve my bilateral breathing.
    Now If only I could figure out why I get a Vertigo like feeling after about 250m of bilateral. Doesn't matter if I am doing Flip turns or Touch and Goes, as soon as I go full Bilateral it's pretty consistent around 250m. Instructor/lifeguard said she would watch me after the triathlon is done to see if she can pick anything out. I suspect it is something to do with my Head turn-Body roll but hard to self analyse from in the water.
    Due to the restriction on no Recording devices on deck unless in Private Rental Periods ( to many in-appropriate videos taken without consent ) I have no way to view my swim.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    1700SCM
    Masters

Short but evil

8X50 RIMO

10X25 mixed balance/rotation drills

6X100 free as odds fast evens steady on 2.30 push no dive

Fast ones were 1.15 1.15 and 1.13

8X50 mix kick pull and swim

50 easy