• panhandle8
    panhandle8 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have been swimming but too lazy to add it here. ~2000yds today
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    That is awesome progress, Stephen.

I understand being sensitive about body image. I have a ways to go before I'm out of obese status myself. But I'm over 50 and don't give a rat's patootie what anyone thinks. That said, once you're in the pool, people can't really see much and they are focused on their own work anyhow. I'll predict you will feel and swim a lot better without a shirt getting in the way.

My swim was most excellent today. Took some time to get in on the noon lap swim where there is a two hour block instead of the single evening hour. Did 2500 yards in just under 58 minutes at a 2:19/100y pace, coming in almost ten minutes faster than the last time I did this distance back in July. And it was the first time ever I did it without a rest. The massage I had earlier in the week really seems to have helped loosen up my back and neck. I could have gone longer.

I was passed numerous times by other swimmers in the lanes to either side. Did I care? Nope, because they kept stopping and I kept going.

Pool was much more "crowded" with a couple of the six lanes doubling up with swimmers. I had a lane to myself for the entire hour. Weather was overcast.

Back in the pool tomorrow!
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    2400SCM
    First masters session since last weekend

8X50 as 4 free 2 back 2 br (15s ri)

8X50 as above but kick

2X400 free as
    1st negative split
    2nd 1st and 4th 100 hard middle 200 steady (30s ri)

8X25 fly kick

16X25 on 40 as 4 fly 4 back 4 br 4 free

200 easy.

The first 400 was 5.50, second was 5.39. My TMPB (this millennium personal best) is 5.46.

As expected my coach was disappointed in my 100 free from last weekend. Even though I did a TMPB of 1.12.6 (down from 1.13.9) he says I should be able to do 1.10. I asked if it was a coincidence that he was wearing a Mr Funny tshirt at the time.....
  • LauraRae2
    LauraRae2 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Swam last night. Got to the pool a bit later than planned so only swam 38 minutes, but managed 1350 yds in that time. A mix of sidekicks, kicking, pulling and sprinting. Those darn kick laps slow me down significantly but I know they're important.

Did aerial yoga tonight. I got to move up from the beginner class to something more advanced so that was way cool. Next swim is Sunday!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    @stephenrhinton Great stuff Stephen. And yes Loose Floopy suits add lots of drag and time to your swim. I started in 2XL and now use a medium. I have what I call my "Belly Button Smile" from the extra/loose skin and it doesn't bother me because it is a sign of Success. So buy new trunks and throw away the t-shirt and swim proud. I am still in drydock as the pool is still closed for maintenance. But if you want to scroll down to the bottom of the page linked below this is the Just Stupid Fun event that I did yesterday.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10244219/september-2015-running-challenge/p34
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I went back to the pool today even though my sternum still hurts. Took fins and kick board and did 200m front kicks, 200m back then 200m aqua jogging, repeat and repeat again. Felt really good to be in the water again and the chest was fine. Will be back tomorrow and will do similar swims until I can use my arms again.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm out of town for the week and not swimming but after crashing my car on Wednesday, I'm glad! I've been thinking about you, Panda, because I have this huge bruise across my chest from the seat belt. I can't imagine swimming right now so I'm happy I was going to be out of the pool until next Friday anyway. My poor car is a goner and will have to buy another when I get back to town.

Stephen, throw away that suit and do a happy dance! Swim in a shirt if you want but just get something smaller and maybe in a lighter weight fabric like HeatGear or something. Do whatever feels right and keep doing it! Nice work.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Welcome back AQ! Good to see you managed a distance swim again Bruce A, sorry about the car and so glas it wasn't worse MP, glad to hear you have new swim gear on order Stephen - you deserve,,! And good to read other people's good swims...

Bit of a non week for me - secondary school visiting and being off colour got in the way of my mid week, but my daughter and I went today. It was a 'atleast I smelt chlorine' swim - the intention was races and a bit of letting mummy do lengths. The reality was a school mate and dad were there so we ended up playing Marco Polo etc etc. I probably got more excercise on the walk to and from the pool...but we all had fun.

I only just beat them at crawl sprint, lost the backstroke race, was a narrow second in the doggy paddle and breastroke races. So it is official - my 20m sprint swimming is 10 year old girl standard. ... Mmmm.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    tried my new routine yesterday with the back-to-back sprints.
    2050m in 62 minutes, mixed strokes, 26 sprint lengths (650m)

Today will be a drylander day, probably stationary bike
  • 60sPanda
    Options
    @mpeters - your bruise is probably something similar to what I have. Be patient - the pain takes time to go.

Went back into the pool again today for another legs only session - added side leg kicks into the mix as well. Am definately going back into the pool for the rest of the week.

On another note, I haven't mentioned this on here before but I smoke like a chimney. In the UK we have "Stoptober" starting on 1st October so I have just been to the chemist and stocked up on my nicotine replacements and am all ready for Thursday. One great thing about the NHS is that I have £40 worth of goods for the price of one prescription (£8.20). All I have to do is go to the stop smoking guy at the chemist every Sunday, don't smoke and I get more inhalators etc for free. This is the third time I am attempting this and I will make it happen this time.
  • luv2eat2013
    luv2eat2013 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Not today...Sunday became rest day
  • luv2eat2013
    Options
    Tomorrow right away on it!!!!
  • 60sPanda
    Options
    First early morning swim for 3 and a half weeks and its good to start getting back into a routine. Kicks again - 400m front, 400m back, 400m side and 200m aqua jog.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Stephen, you can try "rash guard" swim shirts. They give you coverage but fit snug enough to not add much drag.
    I started at 310#. But I didn't care what others thought. I never felt as if anyone was judging me either. Before long the only thing anyone noticed was how far I was swimming. :)
    When you feel comfortable, the jammer style suit eliminated the drag of the board shorts. I noticed the difference right away.
    Keep at it. Before long you'll be "the guy" at your pool. As in "The guy who swims crazy distances."
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    5 miles on Saturday. It was a rainy day so no yard chores to rush home to.
    4 miles today.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    54 laps in 72 minutes, including 7 X 25 butterfly and 3 x 13 "wall sprint."
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    1k, 33 mins. Half as 25m x IM (no arm butterfly ..) rest crawl.

Got very excited c 25 minutes in as I thought I had a new PB on my hands.

Actually it was more I could not count the fingers on my hand.... Still had another 250 to go... Ah well.
  • luv2eat2013
    Options
    Hey , late than never. Missed 30 mins of finn class but pushed it to the limit for 30
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Have just finished doing the insane method swimmers use to celebrate birthdays - 100m for each year of your life, which in my sorry case meant 45 x 100m.

Never before have I so desperately wanted to be 18 again!!!!!
  • 60sPanda
    Options
    Swam the same as yesterday - all kick only with fins - 400m front, 400m back, 400m side and 200m aqua jog.