Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    MightyLolo wrote: »
    I swim indoors. I'm a redhead; I do outdoor stuff in sleeves and a hat. :smile:
    Ha! That's the same for my husband and oldest daughter. It's a part of why she moved from Florida to Washington state. She got a sunburn through the car window while we were driving through Nebraska in January!

@MightyLolo & @mpeters1965 As a Blonde I can understand your families troubles. I always say that I could get a Sunburn under a 100 Watt Light Bulb. Hard to believe that I once worked doing Survey Work on Highway projects = Working under the sun!! :) LoLo I understand the Joy/frustration in seeing an instructor move on. The senior instructor at our little pool is now spending more time travelling to other Local Pools doing Life Guard certification courses so we get to see less of her :(

Got a really good swim in today - all of 5 people in the pool for the 60 minute Lane Swim.
    250m crawl, 250 breast, 250 back. Then a 750m Crawl Time Trial ( 19:12 ) for a baseline number for the August Sprint Triathlon. This is my first personal TT ( not an official TT ) for getting the swim groups assembled so slowest swimmers start first and are swimming with people who have very similar times. Since the Sprint Triathlon swim is in the pool it's important to be brutally honest or you could end up in a slower group or faster group creating lots of passing/blocking frustrations. I expect I will get this down to 18 mins or less based on last years numbers and the fact that I have definitely improved my stroke length/rotation, kick and bi-lateral breathing over last year.
    100m cool down mixed Breast, Back, Crawl and Back kick. 1600m total.

A little to much " Social Time" with friends at the wall - should have been able to get in 2000m.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    At the doctor's office now. When it gets to over a week without getting better, my wife says it is time to go get it checked.
    So here I sit.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Hope the Dr. has something that will help!
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Bronchitis. Picking up a Z-pack at CVS later.
    Worst thing I brought back from a trip so far.
  • Montepulciano
    Options
    Bronchitis sucks. Take care of yourself, fishgutzy

3200 yards @ 65 minutes. Best part was a sixish year old and her mom came over and asked me to show them how to do the breaststroke correctly.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Ooh nasty Fishgutzy - get well soon.

Not a swim to write up (I had my daughter with me...) but it is really amazing how much loss of form happens in a few weeks off swimming (holidays).

So a good way I guess to remind me to breathe when head out of water not in, to look for the markers when doing backstroke, roughly what to do with the arms for butterfly ..and how steep that hill on the walk home can feel sometimes. And so a good easing back.

My whole body feels better for it - literally from top to toe.
  • juliet3455
    Options
    Noon hour splash and dash. 1650m.
    1000m Crawl
    3 x 75m w25 Kick & 50 Breast ( 225m )
    3 x 75m w25 Back & 50 kick ( 225m)
    200m Back
    It was a nice day in the Pool
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Got half an hour of practice in today; my crawl stroke seems to have recovered from the kickboard fiasco, and my whipkick has gotten better, as has coordinating arms with dolphin kick for butterfly. But the only two things I can keep track of arms and legs for entire laps, are still crawl and backstroke. :blush:
    I was glad I could fit it in today; I have a four-hour job interview tomorrow, and I don't ever get to swim on Wednesdays, right now.
  • Montepulciano
    Options
    Good luck with the interview MightyLolo. :)
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    meh swim but after a lot of days (maybe seven?) off, glad to stay close to pace. 2200 yards in something like 50 minutes. After a bonus weekend of beer and food, happy to have it.

Get those lungs back in shape, @fishgutzy -- take yer time
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Last night was the worst for coughing so far. Had sleep propped up on pillows.
    No swimming this morning. Jonesing for chlorine. :D
  • Montepulciano
    Options
    @nuffer - Sounds like a good weekend!

@fishgutzy - The chlorine will be there waiting for you.
  • Montepulciano
    Options
    3200 @ 70 minutes.

Struggled to get my left hand to release the bubbles from entry. Felt like a get through it work out, and I did. :)
  • MightyLolo
    MightyLolo Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    nuffer I'll take one of your meh swims any day :smiley:
  • juliet3455
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Triathlon Swim Club. Split - 2000m. Started with 200m warmup 2x50m kick/ 2x50m Crawl.
    Then one of my favorite drills. 3 x 60 Stroke Time/Distance ( 60 STD sounds really bad o:) )
    Swim 60 strokes - Stop grab your time off the swim clock and your distance. The idea is that this is a measure of overall stroke efficiency - Maximum Distance in Minimum Time over a set Stroke count. I was very consistent 79 - 82 seconds and 67-70 meters over the 3 drills. The speedster in the group was 66 seconds and 88 meters. The goal in the Junior Swim clubs is to get more than 75m under 60 seconds.
    Then lots of Stroke / Breathing / Efficiency drills all on front crawl
    8 x 25m @ 40 secs, alternate fast/slow pace
    4 x 50m @ 1:15 Breathing alternate 3/5 stroke cycle
    2 x 100m Negative Split
    2 x 200m Max Distance / Stroke. A big version of the 60 STD drill.( Minimum Stroke Count)
    2 x 100m Steady Pace Drill @ 45s/25m
    4 x 50m Descending Time 1:30, 1:20, 1:10, 1:00. A version of negative split.
    8 x 25m @ 45s Big PushOff and Long Glide. Getting the feel for the maximum Efficiency Point.
    Then 100m Cool down with 4 fast strokes before the wall and Flip Turns.
    Can't do Flip Turns in the Shallow End as my flip/tuck is not tight enough and I end up colliding with the bottom of the pool - not a pretty sight.

It was a really good - Intense workout. Also received lots of feedback from the instructor within each set. I still have a tendency to 1) Drop my Left Wrist just before my hand enters the water 2) I also short my Left arm pull 3) Have a slight arm crossing over centerline on both left and right arms. Concentrate on keeping the hand flat so I get Fingertip entry and touching the Thigh with each stroke to get maximum pull distance. Keeping the elbow from bending/flaring out helps reduce Centerline Crossover.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Programme for tonight

200 warmup

10x 200 (!!!!) as

1 and 6 negative split
    2 and 7 4x 50 to add up to PB
    3 and 8 kick
    4 and 9 negative split
    5 and 10 8x 25 to add up to PB

200 warmdown

YUK!! Not looking forward to this!
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Some serious training going on with @emmab0902 and @juliet3455! Yikes!
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Coughing wasn't as bad last night. Hoping I feel well enough to swim after work today.
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    3000m in 60min
    First swim in the outdoor 50m pool. Fabulous!