Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    gosh.just gosh.

meanwhile,back at the friendly swimmers forum that has become my daily fix,
    i managed a 60 min swim yesterday.even slower than usual or expected tho.
    any other cross- trainers here finding other cardio. or strength training has a negative impact on swimming times/ ability?
    hoping i can find a positive fix to work towards.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    1100 33:02

I don't know about the cross-training, but I am about to find out. I'm hitting the weight room next week. I like lifting and do feel like weight-bearing exercise might be a good idea since my principle exercise is swimming, and that does zippo for bone density.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    YES: 1 mile x 34 min. + 1 x 35 min.
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    Out of curiosity, are we talking the 1500m/1650yd swimmer mile when we talk miles or are we talking the 1600m/1800yd "as close as we can get to a regular mile in a pool" mile?

I mean, I know the swimming consistently is really the important thing, but I was wondering how people measure that.

I'm also wondering, because I'm trying to get that 1800yd in 40 minutes mile thing because I'm assuming that if one is recommending one should be able to swim a mile in a pool in 40 minutes before it is safe to attempt an open water swim what they mean is a standard 1740 yard mile.

*whimper* I'm so confused...
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    good luck back in the pool

yours and the original comments strike me as being unnecessarily patronizing. I never let myself get out of shape to begin with. I am on MFP to get back to a reasonable competition weight for the Transplant Games and for other reasons. so getting unsolicited advice about the blatantly obvious is a bit much for this citizen.

And who in on earth would be so blitheringly stupid to compare themself to their competitively athletic days from 25 years ago? that's beyond asinine. Really. I wouldnt imagine someone being that idiotic.

good luck guys on everything else!

Easy does it wronkletoad! Macstraw is a great guy on here and I know without a shadow of a doubt he did not intend to come across as patronizing at all. I thought his comments were pretty normal encouraging comments. We tend to share experiences and advice on this swimmers forum, so he just assumed that like most on this forum, this would be fine! Certainly no harm intended!
    cw106 wrote: »
    gosh.just gosh.

meanwhile,back at the friendly swimmers forum that has become my daily fix,
    i managed a 60 min swim yesterday.even slower than usual or expected tho.
    any other cross- trainers here finding other cardio. or strength training has a negative impact on swimming times/ ability?
    hoping i can find a positive fix to work towards.

Lol CW.
    And in answer to your question, I definitely find my gym work/ strength training impacts negatively on my swimming and times.
    I get the feeling work in the gym exercises muscles in "the opposite" way then my swims.
    That's my totally unscientific take on it, but I have heard advanced swimmers say the same thing.

That said, I still do go to the gym regardless, as overall fitness, cardio and muscle tone is what I'm after and would like to be able to function at a descent cardiovascular level both inside and outside the pool. So I'm willing to sacrifice some of the speed in the pool to that end!

• cw106
    Options
    cheers for the feedback AQand noelf.
    i am still plugging away, swam for 30 of 100 exercise mins today.
  • cw106
    Options
    Out of curiosity, are we talking the 1500m/1650yd swimmer mile when we talk miles or are we talking the 1600m/1800yd "as close as we can get to a regular mile in a pool" mile?

I mean, I know the swimming consistently is really the important thing, but I was wondering how people measure that.

I'm also wondering, because I'm trying to get that 1800yd in 40 minutes mile thing because I'm assuming that if one is recommending one should be able to swim a mile in a pool in 40 minutes before it is safe to attempt an open water swim what they mean is a standard 1740 yard mile.

1 mile = 1609 metres.a metric mile distance is 1600 m.
    no idea on yards tho.
  • NoelFigart1
    Options

no idea on yards tho.

That's actually close to a land mile. Wow... I'm a long way from being able to swim that fast!
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    And today's swim

1300 38:28. (I mix that up with back breast and free. I'd be a lot faster free only).
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    1 mile = 5,280 feet or 70.4 lengths in a 25 YD pool
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    2.5 km in 57 min (personal best)
    Starting today I'm making a conscious effort to up my stroke rate!
  • AquaticQuests
    edited October 2014
    Options

no idea on yards tho.

That's actually close to a land mile. Wow... I'm a long way from being able to swim that fast!

No worries NoelFig.
    The thing is to set your targets based on where you are now and keep upping them.

I was reading somewhere that sometimes the improvements that the top level swim programs target is an improvement in time of 0.8 % per year.
    But of course for those of us that are basically starting from being fairly out of shape, the improvements would be greater at the beginning, then as we get closer and closer to our optimum, it gets harder and harder to shave off the time!

I was pretty shocked yesterday to discover the top marathon swimmer Aurélie Muller covered 5377.75 meters or 3.34 miles in an hour (takes me 2 hrs to cover a shorter distance- lol) http://dailynews.openwaterswimming.com/2014/01/how-fast-are-elite-open-water-swimmers.html
    I mean these guys can swim 25 kilometers (12 miles) and it only takes them just over 5 hours to do it. That is just mind blowing - it's difficult for me to even process 1000 lengths in a 25 m pool! Good Lord!

Or that people can swim in excess of 5 miles an hour http://www.swimcoachtools.com/Speed.aspx

Elite really does mean elite!

But the beauty is that if I start from where I'm at and build up, I may never be an elite level swimmer, but my body is loving me for the changes I'm making, and hey - I can blast past most of my peers now - lol!

So you will swim that mile at a fast clip it may take you 6 months or 2 years, but keep at it!
  • cw106
    edited October 2014
    Options
    excellent info,as ever,AQ.

a paltry 500m from me today,after a pb on elliptical and shoulder press its just as much as i can currently do.

excellent month/s again tho
    many thanks to all you helpful,supportive folk here.
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    1800 54:22

I was trying to get a good idea of general time for a longer distance.
  • bama6977
    bama6977 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    OK, so I'm coming out of lurker status. Suggestions welcomed.
    Started swimming 3x a week vs walking/jog 6x a week last month. Now 3x week and 45-50 min walk at least 2x. Today 36x50yd laps free style crawl. First 5 laps very easy warm up, then every even lap bump my pace up, recover on odd laps. Last 5 laps with "Force Fins" just legs power kicking, on my back. Then walk around in the pool to recover. Yes I did swim today!! B)
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Great job, Bama - glad to see you did some sort of a cool down, it's very important....
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    1800 54:22

I was trying to get a good idea of general time for a longer distance.

Good job NoelFig. Good that you keep pushing the envelope! I'm sure the body is noticing and complaining abit'
    bama6977 wrote: »
    OK, so I'm coming out of lurker status. Suggestions welcomed.
    Started swimming 3x a week vs walking/jog 6x a week last month. Now 3x week and 45-50 min walk at least 2x. Today 36x50yd laps free style crawl. First 5 laps very easy warm up, then every even lap bump my pace up, recover on odd laps. Last 5 laps with "Force Fins" just legs power kicking, on my back. Then walk around in the pool to recover. Yes I did swim today!! B)

Welcome (back?) lurker Bama :smile:
    Quite the swim that, and for a lurker too :wink:
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I'm finally back in the pool tomorrow, however November does turn out to be sporadic for me. The big job we had lined up is still pushed back to January, however another client needs work done this month so I lose 3 days this coming week, 4 the next week & 3 the week after. It'll be good to get back in, even if it's not every day yet, I can feel the effects of the layoff.......
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    Macstraw wrote: »
    I'm finally back in the pool tomorrow, however November does turn out to be sporadic for me. The big job we had lined up is still pushed back to January, however another client needs work done this month so I lose 3 days this coming week, 4 the next week & 3 the week after. It'll be good to get back in, even if it's not every day yet, I can feel the effects of the layoff.......

Well on the plus side at least more paying work is rolling in - never a bad thing from the perspective of a self employed entrepreneur like myself :smile:
  • bama6977
    bama6977 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    21x50-light to moderate; 11x50 - moderate to hard; 5x50 hard with fins.