Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    2 km in 65 min. Decided to work on my other strokes today, 200m each then 2*400 free for my main set. Felt somewhat sluggish today - probably because of yesterday's swim.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Hey, welcome back panda.and happy swimming everyone else. Good to read all th progress.

Had another Alexander technique swimming lesson today - apparently my crawl arms are too high in the water, I am over tensing my arms in recovery rather than letting them recover (!) and rotating my head too late in breadth . Gives me a lot more to think about, but the body roll / timing of stroke is all good from last lesson. And started deconstructing my butterfly too...

Other than the usual swimming continues. Nothing major to report - other than my new style breaststroke is slow, slow. Same speed as my daughter (level 8 swimmer, 10 year old). It does not hurt my back though! I guess the spee will pick up.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Nice easy swim this morning - 2km in 40 mins.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Masters swim. Only 40 minutes of the hour class though. I woke up with a headache and couldn't shake it through class so finally gave up. Still have it. ugh.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Morning swim: 3 miles @ 105 min
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    No swim today, took off to go golfing. My buddy & I walked the course, so I don't feel guilty about not swimming. He ran a pedometer app on his phone, we did about 14,500 steps & 7.3 miles. I knew it was a decent distance walking the course, but I didn't know it was that far....
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    3000m with Masters. I'm 5'0" and I outsprinted 6'4" Speedy Gonzales in the lane next to me on the 50s and then I got slower and slower and slower on the rest of the ladder intervals. But then I have a dislocated wrist so I'm lucky to have survived the workout at all.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    56 minutes ...armband for my music player is giving me fits ...slightly annoying
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Swim Lessons. 1000m drills. Full class today. 4 per lane received a few kicks and hand hits from adjoining swimmers and lanes especially during breast stroke.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Nothing for me today. Having a rest day before my charity 5km swim tomorrow.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Bruceapple wrote: »
    Morning swim: 3 miles @ 105 min
    Excellent distance!

• Robertus
    Options
    Only 2 miles this morning, but did the first mile in 29:15 (PB).
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Good luck for tomorrow Panda!

I've just come back from a fab swim - outdoor, sunshine, and - cos I was waiting on my friend - did my 1k usual and then had a rest and added another 500m. Longest swim for me for a while, and glad my body felt happy to do it. No idea on swim time, but Cafe was baked potato and half a slice of lemon drizzle cake in 120 mins.

It would have been faster, but the gossiping got in the way of the eating...
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    45mins - 200m warm up, 1800m continuous (except to swear loudly when a guy I didn't even know was in my lane hit me on the head). I was originally going to just swim 1500m, then I felt so good I kept going. Then my body said STOP! :) The 1800 took me 37m15s

lol Gently - I'm sure with practice your cafe time will improve. ;)
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I got about 25 minutes of practice in. Working in the weak side breathing using a kickboard, and freestyle, just muscle memory. It felt really good. Hoping for about 30 min before aquafitness tonight too.

Some great swims here, people! Wow. I know that to really improve, I'm going to have to push myself. Just not feeling it yet.
  • stephenrhinton
    Options
    56 minutes ...I'm noting a tendency to s-curve my hands on the front crawl stroke. Is that an inefficiency?
  • Robertus
    Options
    56 minutes ...I'm noting a tendency to s-curve my hands on the front crawl stroke. Is that an inefficiency?
    A little bit inefficient; sounds like maybe your arm muscles are tired. You might want to consider taking more (some?) rest days and working in some strength training if you aren't doing any. It doesn't seem like you take any rest days. They are very important for increasing fitness, especially at the beginning and even later on if you are really pushing yourself.

• mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Swam for the first time for about 25 minutes at the University pool, rather than the YMCA. It's a bit different. There are only backstroke flags at one end of the pool, which is a bit of a problem and they didn't have lane markers in (although they have them). None of that is what limited my swim though. It was my damn leaking goggles. I'm getting a new pair tomorrow!
  • stephenrhinton
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    ]A little bit inefficient; sounds like maybe your arm muscles are tired. You might want to consider taking more (some?) rest days and working in some strength training if you aren't doing any. It doesn't seem like you take any rest days. They are very important for increasing fitness, especially at the beginning and even later on if you are really pushing yourself.

I've taken one rest day in the last 79 days ....but I'm making up for the approximately 7,300 rest days before that ....

Seriously, I do understand that muscles rebuild more efficiently between workouts. But increasing muscle or even fitness is secondary for me to burning glycogen. I gotta get that excess glucose out of my bloodstream. (Type II Diabetes)

Also, I really haven't had ANY sort of regular exercise since high school. I'm still in the early stages of building a habit right now. I tend to be an all or nothing kind of guy. If I give myself wiggle room by saying I should exercise 'several' times a week I'll wiggle my way right back onto the couch for another decade or two. Performance goals will start in about 3 weeks when I am at my 60 minute mark for two weeks.
  • Robertus
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    ]A little bit inefficient; sounds like maybe your arm muscles are tired. You might want to consider taking more (some?) rest days and working in some strength training if you aren't doing any. It doesn't seem like you take any rest days. They are very important for increasing fitness, especially at the beginning and even later on if you are really pushing yourself.

I've taken one rest day in the last 79 days ....but I'm making up for the approximately 7,300 rest days before that ....

Seriously, I do understand that muscles rebuild more efficiently between workouts. But increasing muscle or even fitness is secondary for me to burning glycogen. I gotta get that excess glucose out of my bloodstream. (Type II Diabetes)

Also, I really haven't had ANY sort of regular exercise since high school. I'm still in the early stages of building a habit right now. I tend to be an all or nothing kind of guy. If I give myself wiggle room by saying I should exercise 'several' times a week I'll wiggle my way right back onto the couch for another decade or two. Performance goals will start in about 3 weeks when I am at my 60 minute mark for two weeks.
    OK, do whatever you think (and your doctor says) is best for you. I don't know hardly anything at all about diabetes, but I doubt that a lack of the proper rest now will somehow magically make up for a lack of exercise in the past. I will stop preaching now. I wish you all the best, truly!