Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You can try to use your shoulders more on the pull - I found that made a difference for me in getting rid of the s curve in my right (non dominant) arm.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    56 minutes ...I'm noting a tendency to s-curve my hands on the front crawl stroke. Is that an inefficiency?

I also tend to S curve on my non-dominant arm. I try to focus more on the pull and getting my arm pointed towards the bottom of the pool right after my hand enters the water. The way I understand it (but don't always manage) is that you want to create a flat surface from elbow to fingertip, pointing down, so that the palm is facing backward as early in the stroke as possible. Knowing you have that curve is half the battle!
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Yes, you most definitely want to create that resistance along the arm, but don't shorten your stroke to achieve it. When your hand enters the water you want some rotation in the shoulders so that you can reach out toward the wall you're approaching, then you create that resistance along the arm during the pull. I watch a lot of swimmers at my gym drop their hands into the water just over their hard, but they are losing a lot of length (& power) on the pull. Swimming with a closed fist is a good way to learn to create that resistance along the arm.....
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Did my 5km charity swim this morning - 1 hour and 40 minutes - bang on target so am very pleased with that.
  • mpeters1965
    Options
    Macstraw wrote: »
    Yes, you most definitely want to create that resistance along the arm, but don't shorten your stroke to achieve it. When your hand enters the water you want some rotation in the shoulders so that you can reach out toward the wall you're approaching, then you create that resistance along the arm during the pull. I watch a lot of swimmers at my gym drop their hands into the water just over their hard, but they are losing a lot of length (& power) on the pull. Swimming with a closed fist is a good way to learn to create that resistance along the arm.....

Yes! Well said.
  • mpeters1965
    Options
    60sPanda wrote: »
    Did my 5km charity swim this morning - 1 hour and 40 minutes - bang on target so am very pleased with that.

Great job! You are going to smoke that Masters "trial".
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Yes; 2 miles @ 67 minutes
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    1300 m , 750 m crawl in 24mins and then 550m of drills, total chlorine time 55 mins.
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Options
    60sPanda wrote: »
    Fantastic! Hope your taking some rest after that. :)
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    57 minutes, 1625m ...Continous swim with mixed strokes. Crawl, Back, Breast, Back, Repeat.

Was early this morning ...got in the pool between 5:30-6am
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    57 ish minutes ...forgot to check the clock when i started, but I figured back based on my lap times ....1650m same mix of strokes
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. No rest for me - swam 2.5km yesterday (mainly drills) and another 2km this morning.
  • Bruceapple
    Options
    Morning swim: 2 miles @ 67 minutes
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Great work, everybody!!!!

I.M. workout today: 250 free, 500 free, 1000 free, 5 x 200 I.M., 500 free, 5 x 200 I.M., 1000 free, 250 free.....
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Options
    2.25km this morning in... 65min? I dunno. Ladder workout today. I'm actually going swimming again in about half an hour because I couldn't take my little buddy yesterday.
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    3100 meters. Today was one of my better workouts because my main set was easy to remember - 20 x 100 on 2:15 which I later adjusted to 2:10 and then to 2:05 because I was getting too much rest (I was averaging 1:55/100m). If I can just maintain a 1:55 pace on 100 meters, I can pull off this upcoming 2k in under 40 minutes which is what I need to do to qualify for the 12 mile solo.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    1250m. First 1k my 'Fit at fifty' routine (sprints) - very slowly (well not the sprint bits, just lots of rests! ) then a play at new style Alexander technique butterfly, then front crawl for 250.

The pool felt very short after my 50m pool session the other day...
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Options
    2nd swim - 50 minutes fun with kiddo, but definitely not relaxing. He did manage 38 seconds of treading, which is a new best. I am going to regret this extra exercise tomorrow.
  • mpeters1965
    Options
    Masters - 2000 yds. She took it kind of easy on us today.
  • Bruceapple
    Options
    Morning swim: 2 miles @ 75 minutes