Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Ms_J, all is well - they were really small spots. Not my 1st go round, I had 2 other spots removed a couple of years ago - Irish skin & a lifetime in the sun. Basal cell takes a REALLY long time to become dangerous, & that won't happen because I regularly go to get checked. The treatments next week are unrelated - they're the IV treatments for my autoimmune disorder that I have to get every month.....
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Swim Lessons 800meters various drills, breast and back so a lot slower than crawl. Still all great stuff.
    Macstraw wrote: »
    No swimming today or tomorrow, I had to have 3 spots removed for biopsy & 2 spots frozen (most likely basal cell carcinoma), so I have to sty out of the pool until the spots heal. THen I lose Mon. - Thur. of next week for treatments.....

Mac we are all in your corner cheering for you. As AQ said " The pool ain't going nowhere and will be waiting for you when you get back ".
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    3 miles, approximately 95 minutes.
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Thanks, everybody, I really appreciate this. Thankfully, this isn't something I need to worry about - it just stinks missing a few days in the pool....
  • Robertus
    Options
    Ms_J1 wrote: »
    I swam 3000 yards (we go back and forth between SCY and LCM). It was an intense workout, especially the 6 x 125 sprints on 3:00. I'm sorry but 6 x 125 sprints are impossible even on a 3 minute interval. I was still huffing and puffing after each one minute and 10 seconds rest I got on the first two intervals. I pooped out on the third interval (it was necessary for my own well being) and told the coach that sprinting 125s six times was going to kill me and he said, "Oh, I didn't mean for you to sprint the whole thing. It should be a 'paced' sprint." Lol - well, that changed everything! I mean come on, to me, "sprint" means "swim like your life depends on it" and NOT "swim at your top speed but at a speed that allows you to finish the set without dying." So, I learned something today: "sprint" is a relative term. It's relative to the total distance you're swimming, not just the interval distance.
    I like your coach's relative definition of 'sprints'. I was thinking of that this morning as I sprinted my last mile.

• Robertus
    Options
    Macstraw wrote: »
    Thanks, everybody, I really appreciate this. Thankfully, this isn't something I need to worry about - it just stinks missing a few days in the pool....
    Glad to hear you're taking care of everything so well. I took three days off this week because I was tired after swimming 8 miles last week and the rest really helped. When I got back in the pool this morning, at first it felt like my arms were made of wood, but before long I was swimming faster and stronger than ever. The rest and rebuilding phase is every bit as important as the actual workout.
  • logan_t
    logan_t Posts: 13 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Last nights swim - I think it took roughly 75 minutes.

400 W.U.

30x 50's @ 0:45
    - 0:33 pace
    - 3:00 break @ halfway

1600 IM set:
    25 Fly
    50 Fly
    50 Fly, 25 Back
    50 Fly, 50 Back
    50 Fly, 50 Back, 25 Breast
    50 Fly, 50 Back, 50 Breast
    50 Fly, 50 Back, 50 Breast, 25 Free
    50 Fly, 50 Back, 50 Breast, 50 Free
    25 Fly, 50 Back, 50 Breast, 50 Free
    50 Back, 50 Breast, 50 Free
    25 Back, 50 Breast, 50 Free
    50 Breast, 50 Free
    25 Breast, 50 Free
    50 Free
    25 Free

300 C.D. Free/Back

-- AQ, you definitely want to get that crossover out of your stroke ASAP. I've dealt with major shoulder impingement problems due to heavy crossover in my younger days. Good for you for recognizing it and taking steps to correct!
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    62 Mins, 1725m
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    2km in 1 hour. Was tired when I got in, was so tired when I got out that I put my body wash in my hair when I showered... But mentally I feel much better.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    30 min swim and lost count.
    Had to end the swim early as ran out of sunlight and was swimming at a pool that has no lights!
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    logan_t wrote: »

400 W.U.

1600 IM set:
    25 Fly
    50 Fly
    50 Fly, 25 Back
    50 Fly, 50 Back
    50 Breast, 50 Free
    25 Breast, 50 Free
    50 Free
    25 Free

300 C.D. Free/Back

-- AQ, you definitely want to get that crossover out of your stroke ASAP. I've dealt with major shoulder impingement problems due to heavy crossover in my younger days. Good for you for recognizing it and taking steps to correct!

Hahahaha!
    I just read this work out and laughed out loud all by myself like a madman!
    I mean those times are just so ridiculously fast! 30 x 50s on 0:45 at 0:33 pace.
    Good grief that is phenomenal! And 30 of them too!
    *shakes his head in wonder while trying to keep hold of reality*
    Lol!

• Robertus
    Options

400 W.U.

1600 IM set:
    25 Fly
    50 Fly
    50 Fly, 25 Back
    50 Fly, 50 Back
    50 Breast, 50 Free
    25 Breast, 50 Free
    50 Free
    25 Free

300 C.D. Free/Back

Hahahaha!
    I just read this work out and laughed out loud all by myself like a madman!
    I mean those times are just so ridiculously fast! 30 x 50s on 0:45 at 0:33 pace.
    Good grief that is phenomenal! And 30 of them too!
    *shakes his head in wonder while trying to keep hold of reality*
    Lol!
    Not to mention 400 yards of Butterfly. Very impressive work-out, Logan!

• Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    1600 IM set:
    25 Fly
    50 Fly
    50 Fly, 25 Back
    50 Fly, 50 Back
    50 Breast, 50 Free
    25 Breast, 50 Free
    50 Free
    25 Free

I gotta remember this one and do it. It looks like it would kill me... which is why I gotta do it.

I swam 3000 yards. A ton of kicks. Our Main set was
    6 x 150 pull, build, on 2:45
    2 x 500 kick w/fins (25 fast/25 easy, 50 fast/25 easy, 75 fast/25 easy, 100 fast/25 easy, 125 fast/25 easy), :10 RI
    12 x 25 catch up drills with stick, :10RI
    1 x 500 swim, focusing on reaching

• juliet3455
    edited April 2015
    Options
    1500m. Front, Back and Breast working on items from yesterdays lessons, plus 200m more weak side breathing lengths - was a tough swim due to " interruptions ".

Only one Double lane tonight for lane swimmers and the other 4 lanes were wide open to " Family swim".
    Had a number of people who did not understand ( did not / could not read the large sign about Family Swim area and Lane swimming area ) and would jump in with out any communication with the lane swimmers. The life guards would chase them out and then a new group would showup. Nothing like a 6x4 ft foam floating pad being shoved into your lane. Picture a 6ft man doing a Timed Front Crawl 50m Sprint with a flip turn - meeting a tiny lady who does not speak English. At the last possible moment I caught a glimpse of her out of the corner of my eye while taking a breath. Managed to turn enough to miss her with my arms and shoulders our bodies scrapped past each other. If I had not seen her or stopped kicking as I glided by it would have been ugly. Life guard had to get her 6-9 yr old grandchildren to act as interpreter's. I Used lots of words under my breath that would have made a sailor blush.

I now know and understand how fishgutzy feels in China and a new appreciation of the Video clip from one of his trips.

400 W.U.
    1600 IM set:
    300 C.D. Free/Back

There is a new speed demon in the group, Logan impressive.

Logan and Ms_J1 I will be using some of the things in your sets to build on my sets.

AQ I still have a little bit of crossover on my left side but it starts just before my arm gets at 90 degrees to my shoulder under water, So I see it developing every time and can straighten it out, still a work in progress. Seems like I fix one item and break something else.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    All those sets are sooo impressive. I need to get a water watch as I have no idea how fast sprints are - I just go by looking at the wall clock which doesn't have seconds!!

Good to hear its not serious Mac and hope it clears up.

Did my usual Saturday attempt to swim a mile in 30 mins - I thought I was there but no, clock said 32 minutes again! Spent the next 30 mins mix of crawl, back and breast and even threw in 4x20 metres fly.
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Juliet - you're not breaking something when you fix something else, you're just finding the next thing you want to work on. I'm not sure you realize how far you've come, being able to self diagnose like that - great job.....

Panda - thanks, it's not my first go round. Thankfully, it gets caught early enough that what they take to biopsy removes the whole thing. I just have to stay on schedule with the visits so that it always gets caught so early....

Very nice swimming, Everybody!!!
  • Robertus
    Options
    Practiced with the swim team at my gym today. First time I've done a team practice since Freshman year in high school 41 years ago. Let's see if I can remember what we did:

500 warm-up
    10x50 kicking.
    3x200 progressive
    8x75, breathing every 3rd, 5th, 7th breath
    3x200
    12x50
    12x25
    200 cool-down
    3,900 yards total in team practice

Then I did another 15x100 to put me over 3 miles so that this is the first week that I've done 3 miles three times (twice continuous).
  • juliet3455
    Options
    1500m, 1000 free, 300 back, 200 breast.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    62 min, 1675m
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Forgot to post earlier but did 3km this morning. 1km free, 1km with fins doing a mix of things, 500m with paddles then the final 500m in sprints in and flip turns. Love using the fins for fly - it means that instead of just going as fast as i can to get to the end so I can rest, I was actually able to slow right down and focus on the stroke. Still only managed 5 x 20, but it felt good.