Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Masters today - maybe 1500m. Different coach again. This one offered a written down set (from our regular coach) or we could learn some technique if we wanted for breast stroke. Since I've recently started trying to add breast back in, I went for that. Easier workout, harder on the brain.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    First swim today after again being out for almost a week :disappointed:
    I'm away for a week and I come back to all these amazing posts - fantastic - if I'd been visiting the forum during my time out I would definitely have been back earlier!
    2.5 km 56
    Fantastic work everyone on all the personal best times, record breaking distances, stroke improvement work, etc.
    Great stuff to read!
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    3 miles continuous.
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I swam 2800 meters today with Masters.

I got so discouraged today but it ended well once I figured it all out. I have to swim the 2k in 40 minutes or less which comes out to a 2 minute per 100 meters pace. Today, my coach had me doing a couple of 300 meters on a 5:30 interval but I swam the first 300 in 5:36 so we extended my second 300 to a 6:15 interval. I told my coach I was really bummed about how "slow" I swam that first 300 and he was like, "What are you talking about? You swam it under 6 minutes." And then it dawned on me that not only did I finish the 300 with less than a 2 minute pace, I was doing a 300 pull, not a 300 swim, and I was pulling without paddles which I have never done before in long course meters. Needless to say, I felt much better after having that revelation.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    57 minutes, 1675m, continuous with a mix of strokes
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Swim Lessons. 55 mins. 1200 meters. Various Drills and Technique Tips.
    Masters today - maybe 1500m. Different coach again. This one offered a written down set (from our regular coach) or we could learn some technique if we wanted for breast stroke. Since I've recently started trying to add breast back in, I went for that. Easier workout, harder on the brain.

Hate when you get a new coach every lesson.
    Love it when they have the days workout written down for everyone to see.
    Ironically before I started swimming lessons last year I had a rudimentary Breast Stroke, breathing was a little off but the stroke and kick were pretty good. ( coach's words )
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    60sPanda wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. No rest for me - swam 2.5km yesterday (mainly drills) and another 2km this morning.

All that after the 5 km the previous day! Wow!
    Bruceapple wrote: »
    Morning swim: 2 miles @ 67 minutes
    Consistently working towards obliterating your year end target!
    Macstraw wrote: »
    Great work, everybody!!!!

I.M. workout today: 250 free, 500 free, 1000 free, 5 x 200 I.M., 500 free, 5 x 200 I.M., 1000 free, 250 free.....
    Good stuff Mac.
    Ms_J1 wrote: »
    3100 meters. Today was one of my better workouts because my main set was easy to remember - 20 x 100 on 2:15 which I later adjusted to 2:10 and then to 2:05 because I was getting too much rest (I was averaging 1:55/100m). If I can just maintain a 1:55 pace on 100 meters, I can pull off this upcoming 2k in under 40 minutes which is what I need to do to qualify for the 12 mile solo.
    Something tells me you'll definitely hit your 2km in 40 min target!
    1250m. First 1k my 'Fit at fifty' routine (sprints) - very slowly (well not the sprint bits, just lots of rests! ) then a play at new style Alexander technique butterfly, then front crawl for 250.
    The pool felt very short after my 50m pool session the other day...

"Fit at fifty routine"! Sounds good! What's the Alexander technique?
    Yep I find the pool short when I've swum in the 33 m pool. I actually prefer the 33 m pool now as fewer interruptions at the turns, but since I have paid membership at the 25 m pool, and it allows me to swim very early mornings or late evenings, have to stick with the 25 m pool most times.
    2nd swim - 50 minutes fun with kiddo, but definitely not relaxing. He did manage 38 seconds of treading, which is a new best. I am going to regret this extra exercise tomorrow.
    Two swims in the day. Good stuff!
    Masters - 2000 yds. She took it kind of easy on us today.
    Great!
    Robertus wrote: »
    3 miles continuous.
    Great distance.
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Swim Lessons. 55 mins. 1200 meters. Various Drills and Technique Tips.

Hate when you get a new coach every lesson.
    Love it when they have the days workout written down for everyone to see.
    Ironically before I started swimming lessons last year I had a rudimentary Breast Stroke, breathing was a little off but the stroke and kick were pretty good. ( coach's words )
    Y'all are lucky. I tried to find a team to practise with but have had no luck so far. So I plug away all on my lonesome!
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Rest day yesterday.... This morning I wasn't feeling it so took it slow but still did 2km :)
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Once again, some great workouts posted - inspiring!!!!!

Didn't swim yesterday, had to fast for blood work, but back at it today with the I.M. workout: 250 free, 500 free, 1000 free, 5 x 200 I.M., 500 free, 5 x 200 I.M., 1000 free, 250 free.....

Reading about all the improvements & how many people are incorporating sprints has had me thinking about adding a 3rd workout to put into the rotation, some form of a sprint/drill workout. I won't do kicking because it makes my hip stiff & it gives me trouble walking when that happens (the only ill effects I have from the hip replacements), but I'm thinking along the lines of closed fist, fingertip, catch-up & over rotating to extend the length of the stroke type stuff. Once I work out the #'s so I can keep a good amount of yardage I will road test it & adjust as I see fit. I'll have to figure out my intervals for the sprints, but I'm thinking 5 x 50 of each stroke......
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Trying to fit a minimum of 30 minutes in before the aquafitness class begins. Sometimes I can't get it all, but I'll take what I can get. I realize I can't make any huge gains without spending a substantially longer amount of time in the water, but my pre-fitness brain would have decided that it's just not worth it. The brain I am using now (and plan on keeping) says, "Get what you can when you can." I'll be able to pick up lots more lap time in June. For now, just keep swimming, just keep swimming... ;)
  • Ms_J1
    Options
    Today was a short course yards day. 3500 yards of 300 builds and some 50 yard kick sets. And for once, we had rest intervals instead of send off intervals which was a relief. I think our coaches are starting to taper down the workouts because they know a big group of us swimmers are swimming the 2k next weekend. I have a sneaking suspicion that between now and the 2k our coaches are going to give us at least one straight 2k swim on long meters.

AQ, thanks for the encouragement! I know I can swim a 2k in under 40 minutes in a pool but it's the sighting I'm worried about in open water. I've never sighted before other than in practice in a pool.
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    2.25k today. Sprints and descending time sets (well, in theory at least), as well as practicing some stroke work on breast. My arms are a bit sore from that. Have to be careful I don't over do it.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Yeah - I had an hour this morning to swim (instead of 45 mins). I used fins for the first time and they are good! They sure work muscles (mainly glutes) that I know I don't normally engage.... Also enabled me to do 2 lengths fly non-stop which was brilliant. Will definitely be incorporating these into a couple of swims a week.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Masters this morning. 1800-1900 yards (I lost count in there somewhere). Various sets, some with paddles. I used to have a love/hate relationship with paddles but I broke a middle finger late last year and now it is just hate. My finger objects to being pushed up against the paddle.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    No swimming today or tomorrow, I had to have 3 spots removed for biopsy & 2 spots frozen (most likely basal cell carcinoma), so I have to sty out of the pool until the spots heal. THen I lose Mon. - Thur. of next week for treatments.....
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    40min - sprints!
    It started to drizzle/ rain but I kept at it and it didn't get too bad, so at least I was able to do what I'd planned to!
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    60sPanda wrote: »
    Yeah - I had an hour this morning to swim (instead of 45 mins). I used fins for the first time and they are good! They sure work muscles (mainly glutes) that I know I don't normally engage.... Also enabled me to do 2 lengths fly non-stop which was brilliant. Will definitely be incorporating these into a couple of swims a week.
    Not used fins, and need to incorporate them if they'll improve my leg work. Thanks for the reminder!
    No swimming today or tomorrow, I had to have 3 spots removed for biopsy & 2 spots frozen (most likely basal cell carcinoma), so I have to sty out of the pool until the spots heal. THen I lose Mon. - Thur. of next week for treatments.....
    No worries. Rest up. The pool ain't going nowhere and will be waiting for you when you get back :smile:

• Ms_J1
    Options
    I swam 3000 yards (we go back and forth between SCY and LCM). It was an intense workout, especially the 6 x 125 sprints on 3:00. I'm sorry but 6 x 125 sprints are impossible even on a 3 minute interval. I was still huffing and puffing after each one minute and 10 seconds rest I got on the first two intervals. I pooped out on the third interval (it was necessary for my own well being) and told the coach that sprinting 125s six times was going to kill me and he said, "Oh, I didn't mean for you to sprint the whole thing. It should be a 'paced' sprint." Lol - well, that changed everything! I mean come on, to me, "sprint" means "swim like your life depends on it" and NOT "swim at your top speed but at a speed that allows you to finish the set without dying." So, I learned something today: "sprint" is a relative term. It's relative to the total distance you're swimming, not just the interval distance.
  • Ms_J1
    Options

Oh, Macstraw! I hope everything works out well for you.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    61 minutes today ...last increment in the Doc's original exercise prescription ...