Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    1.5 hours fun swim with kiddo.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    60sPanda wrote: »
    Forgot to post earlier but did 3km this morning. 1km free, 1km with fins doing a mix of things, 500m with paddles then the final 500m in sprints in and flip turns. Love using the fins for fly - it means that instead of just going as fast as i can to get to the end so I can rest, I was actually able to slow right down and focus on the stroke. Still only managed 5 x 20, but it felt good.

Now that is something I will have to try - Did you do the Fly with Hand Paddles and Fins?
    I have done it with fins ( not very well ) so anything that lets me slow it down has all ways helped me with the other strokes.
    1.5 hours fun swim with kiddo.

Kida that is the best kind of swim- Family time.

Great work Stephen and Robertus.
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Swam 3000m. Our coaches know many of us are swimming in the 2k this weekend so I think they're going easy on us by giving us more drills and fewer sprints this week.

Warm Up: 3 x 200 swim, :20RI

Main Set
    10 x 100 pull w/paddles on 2:15
    6 x 150 w/fins (50 drill, 100 spd) on 1:30
    8 x 50 (50 drill, 50 sprint *)

Cool Down: 100 easy

* Sprint focus was on kicking.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    2.5 km 53 min
    Still trying to get to the bottom of the elbow pain. Today, tried to have my hands go in the water slightly closer to the midline. Have a feeling that perhaps as I incorporated he high elbow catch I started holding my hands out too wide hence placing a lot of pressure on the elbows.
    Will see how this works out!
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Hope it works, AQ - if not then get it checked......
  • AquaticQuests
    edited April 2015
    Options
    62 Mins, 1725m
    See you're tracking distance and time now Stephen!
    Great! More milestones to set and break through :smile:
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    1500m. Front, Back and Breast working on items from yesterdays lessons, plus 200m more weak side breathing lengths - was a tough swim due to " interruptions ".

Only one Double lane tonight for lane swimmers and the other 4 lanes were wide open to " Family swim".
    Had a number of people who did not understand ( did not / could not read the large sign about Family Swim area and Lane swimming area ) and would jump in with out any communication with the lane swimmers.

AQ I still have a little bit of crossover on my left side but it starts just before my arm gets at 90 degrees to my shoulder under water, So I see it developing every time and can straighten it out, still a work in progress. Seems like I fix one item and break something else.

Lol! Probably they didn't understand. Although occasionally you get a case of "why should I bother with reading signs when I'm here to swim - nit read - so let's just jump in anyhow"! Lol!
    All those sets are sooo impressive. I need to get a water watch as I have no idea how fast sprints are - I just go by looking at the wall clock which doesn't have seconds!!

Did my usual Saturday attempt to swim a mile in 30 mins - I thought I was there but no, clock said 32 minutes again! Spent the next 30 mins mix of crawl, back and breast and even threw in 4x20 metres fly.

Lol! Yep the clock don't lie! Unless you mix up the count! I'm getting tired of counting now and a swim watch is hopefully in my near future!
    Robertus wrote: »
    Practiced with the swim team at my gym today. First time I've done a team practice since Freshman year in high school 41 years ago. Let's see if I can remember what we did:

Then I did another 15x100 to put me over 3 miles so that this is the first week that I've done 3 miles three times (twice continuous).

Wow practise with swim team must've been fun!
    And 3 times 3 mile swims in a week is awesome!
    Macstraw wrote: »
    Hope it works, AQ - if not then get it checked......
    Thanks Mac. You know me - by the time I'm at the doctor, the world must be about to end!
    :smile:

• stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    56 minutes, 1600m ...got interrupted tonight by an water aerobics class. With only 4 minutes left on my workout I didn't feel like jumping into another hour

AQ - My audio player has been out of commission, so I've been counting. I really want to get back to my audiobook, I enjoy the swims more when I'm distracted. Got a new player in today, but I'm having trouble getting Audible to let me convert to generic non-DRM MP3s.
  • juliet3455
    Options
    Light swim tonight. 1200m Stroke Drills and Weak Side Breathing.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    2km swum yesterday, rest day today as had some arm pain (not sure if its swimming or RSI or a bit of both).

Juliet - I don't use the paddles for fly. The instructor I had last year for a couple of lessons recommended not to use the paddles until I am pretty my stroke is right as using them with an imperfect stroke would only exacerbate my problems. So, not yet - maybe once I have joined the masters squad and have more coaching.
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    1km in 40 mins.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Masters. 1900 yds various kick/pull/drill/swim sets. I was working on lengthening my stroke and it slowed me down even more than my normal slowness. We did move to the outside pool and it was great! I swim at a YMCA where we have an indoor and outdoor pool. Outdoors is not heated so we usually swim in it from April to October and then inside for the rest of the year. The indoor pool is heated but small, with only 4 narrow lanes and no black stripes on the bottom. I had to re-calibrate my flip turns now that I have the floor tiles to go by. :smiley:
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    No swimming for the rest of week, but I expect to be doing a lot of touristy type walking around (and under) Rome.
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    Dryland gym work today! And boy am I sore and tired!
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    AQ - My audio player has been out of commission, so I've been counting. I really want to get back to my audiobook, I enjoy the swims more when I'm distracted. Got a new player in today, but I'm having trouble getting Audible to let me convert to generic non-DRM MP3s.
    I hope audible lets you do that. It might not!
    The instructor I had last year for a couple of lessons recommended not to use the paddles until I am pretty my stroke is right as using them with an imperfect stroke would only exacerbate my problems. So, not yet - maybe once I have joined the masters squad and have more coaching.
    That throws a spanner in the works. Should I or should I not get paddles?
    :smile:

• Kida_Adeylne
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Missed yesterday due to work, and boy was I cranky. Masters today - again a different coach (!) He had a stop watch out, and I've apparently dropped another couple seconds of my 50m sprint! (Probably because I had someone to 'race' against).
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Options
    Ooo, almost forgot- I've signed up for another open water race for the send off June - a 1.5km. Figure it'll be a good test run for my 3.8km in August.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Light swim also 1 mile @ 50 min. Dislocated shoulder (old injury) last Wednesday.
    I probably should stop and heal, I just miss the water.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    61 minutes. 2.5 chapters of my audiobook, !YEA! (Clash of Kings, sequel to Game of Thrones). I wouldn't say Audible 'let' me convert to non-DRM mp3s for my new Aerb player. But my Tech-Fu is Strong!

But alas, this means I once again haven't a clue how many meters I swam.
  • juliet3455
    Options
    1100m, Swim lessons lots of drills Back, Breast, SideStroke and Front Crawl.
    Masters. 1900 yds various kick/pull/drill/swim sets. We did move to the outside pool and it was great! Outdoors is not heated so we usually swim in it from April to October and then inside for the rest of the year. The indoor pool is heated but small, with only 4 narrow lanes and no black stripes on the bottom. I had to re-calibrate my flip turns now that I have the floor tiles to go by. :smiley:
    Don't have access to an outdoor pool and the local lakes still have Ice all along the shore lines ( COLD ). Love the colder water of a bigger pool, Bigger lanes and deeper water.
    Robertus wrote: »
    No swimming for the rest of week, but I expect to be doing a lot of touristy type walking around (and under) Rome.
    Under Rome? Catacombs Tours?
    Ooo, almost forgot- I've signed up for another open water race for the send off June - a 1.5km. Figure it'll be a good test run for my 3.8km in August.
    Great Training plan, do a short race before the big race.
    Bruceapple wrote: »
    Light swim also 1 mile @ 50 min. Dislocated shoulder (old injury) last Wednesday.
    I probably should stop and heal, I just miss the water.
    Ouch, I know the suffering. for me it was from downhill skiing. Its why I can't get a nice straight right arm when doing backstroke.
    61 minutes. But alas, this means I once again haven't a clue how many meters I swam.
    I lose count all the time. That's when I do my best guestimate. If I can do 1100m in swim lessons with instructional breaks, then I know that during a normal workout swim I can manage 1100 - 1300 meters.