Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    60min of masters. We did 100m IMs - and I did the whole length of butterfly!! Four times! Yes!!!! (The rest of each IM was torture - I was done after that length of fly).

I have never managed more than 1/2 a length of fly before I self destruct. I find it too hard on my shoulders due to old injuries.

Light Swim tonight 40 minutes probably only 900-1000 meters, Front Crawl, Breast and Kick drills. Shoulders are still a little tender from my 750m sprint time trials for the local TriRivers Sprint Marathon. Due to Life Schedules I was forced to do the 2 Time Trials on consecutive days. Not used to the high speed heavy work load of a Time Trial so that is why I hurt a little bit.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    58:25 2000yds
  • juliet3455
    Options
    It was a " beautiful day here yesterday ". A perfect example of why we have very few outdoor pools except in the Big Cities.
    ydfri0m5t6fu.jpg
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    60min of masters. We did 100m IMs - and I did the whole length of butterfly!! Four times! Yes!!!! (The rest of each IM was torture - I was done after that length of fly).

If you keep at it, the fly endurance will build faster than you expect, nice work!!!!!

All freestyle today - felt VERY sluggish & sloppy (I HATE days like this): 250, 500, 1000, 1500, 1500, 1000, 500, 250.......
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Today I just didn't go. Didn't have the time, so I'll consider it a rest day!
    61 minutes
    Mr consistent at it again! :smile:

Good stuff! Half the battle is mental, and once you can mentally break through that barrier, you're almost home!
    juliet3455 wrote: »

I have never managed more than 1/2 a length of fly before I self destruct. I find it too hard on my shoulders due to old injuries.

Light Swim tonight 40 minutes probably only 900-1000 meters, Front Crawl, Breast and Kick drills. Shoulders are still a little tender from my 750m sprint time trials for the local TriRivers Sprint Marathon. Due to Life Schedules I was forced to do the 2 Time Trials on consecutive days. Not used to the high speed heavy work load of a Time Trial so that is why I hurt a little bit.

Yeah my shoulders can be testy too, but shoulder exercises help. The pain is no longer with my shoulders much, but more with the elbows now! Lol!
    58:25 2000yds

Yep - you're definitely upping the yardage :smiley:
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    It was a " beautiful day here yesterday ". A perfect example of why we have very few outdoor pools except in the Big Cities.
    Yep that looks just about perfect for an outdoor pool! Lol!
    Macstraw wrote: »
    [

All freestyle today - felt VERY sluggish & sloppy (I HATE days like this): 250, 500, 1000, 1500, 1500, 1000, 500, 250.......

Yep I hate those days.
    From my swim yesterday, there were ladies I see doing widths who kept asking me how I don't get tired when swimming.
    It was a hard job convincing them that I in fact do get tired - very tired - even though it might not look that way from the outside observer!

• Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, AQ, I find that when I'm getting my best work in people comment on how smooth & easy my stroke looks but I'm pretty wiped out when I'm done.....
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    61 minutes, 1925m, 50 minute mile, Personal Best
    (unexpectedly reached the end of part of my audiobook, had to count laps)
    From my swim yesterday, there were ladies I see doing widths who kept asking me how I don't get tired when swimming.
    It was a hard job convincing them that I in fact do get tired - very tired - even though it might not look that way from the outside observer!
    I know what you mean, AQ, I find that when I'm getting my best work in people comment on how smooth & easy my stroke looks but I'm pretty wiped out when I'm done.....

I really don't get that way much. I feel a general sense of fatigue and soreness. But I rarely get a 'couldn't swim another lap' exhaustion. I seem to just swim at my 'exercise forever stride'. But I also can't find another 'gear' between that and sprint. If I really push my speed much I am totally spent in just a few lengths.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options

I really don't get that way much. I feel a general sense of fatigue and soreness. But I rarely get a 'couldn't swim another lap' exhaustion. I seem to just swim at my 'exercise forever stride'. But I also can't find another 'gear' between that and sprint. If I really push my speed much I am totally spent in just a few lengths.
    This is a really common experience. Your goal is not increasing fitness and endurance, but swimming every day to treat your diabetes. To increase fitness and stamina, you would follow a different approach, more intense work-outs and also more rest days afterward to let your body rebuild itself stronger. Exhaustion and rest, exhaustion and rest, over and over again. I'm not saying you should change your program; your doctor and you know what is best for you.

• juliet3455
    Options
    1500m 50 mins. Out of town so got to swim in my favorite pool, cold, big and deep.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Gym work today. And I'm slowly regaining my mojo on that treadmill!

Great job on the personal best Stephen.

On the different gears, as Robertus points out, developing those gears requires mixing up the training regime from long swims at a steady rate (and possibly in the region of 75% of peak heart rate), to introducing sprints (where you are approaching 90-100%) heart rate over shorter periods of time, with greater rest periods in between intervals, and other high intensity stuff, drills, eg ladders etc.

I am currently in the process of trying to build up a fast gear too, having worked on distance over the last few years, even as I keep touch with the long swims!

I would say keep up the long swims and continue to push to increase the yardage too, even if you want to build up the gears, you can intersperse the high intensity stuff, with the long swims!
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Good morning. Rest day yesterday after the masters squad trial. This morning I decided to focus on drills, as I realised at the trial that my drill work is not good and my legs do nothing when I swim. So, just did 1km in very slow drills over 30 mins. Will need to do the same a couple of times a week to get my legs swimming properly.
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Good morning. Rest day yesterday after the masters squad trial. This morning I decided to focus on drills, as I realised at the trial that my drill work is not good and my legs do nothing when I swim. So, just did 1km in very slow drills over 30 mins. Will need to do the same a couple of times a week to get my legs swimming properly.
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    59:46 2000 yds
  • NoelFigart1
    Options

Congratulations. That's good!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    You guys are making me jealous. It's track season, so I am not getting in my laps nearly as often as I want/expect. It's also time to get the garden in, so my weekends have been taken over by dirt and plants. Not giving up, just getting there when I can. It makes my swims hard though, without the consistency I was getting in winter.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    61 minutes ....and that concludes the initial proscribed exercise by my diabetes doc ..started at 30 mins/day ...add 5 mins every two weeks until you get to an hour. I've been swimming an hour a day for two weeks.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    61 minutes ....and that concludes the initial proscribed exercise by my diabetes doc ..started at 30 mins/day ...add 5 mins every two weeks until you get to an hour. I've been swimming an hour a day for two weeks.

Great! Way to keep at it.

• mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I did. Masters. An hour of mixed sets and mixed strokes so probably only 1700-1800 yards. Plus I was feeling chatty so that cut into my swimming time. My lane mate was similarly unmotivated for swimming but totally up for chatting so it all worked out. :smile:
  • NoelFigart1
    Options

That's awesome. Consistency over heroic effort is really a lot harder than people think, but it sounds to me like you're pretty self-disciplined.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    So a week or so away from Mfp and a whole load of dedicated swimming going on - very inspiring.

I had a fun 1k swim today -mainly dodgems with a really nice family having fun with the kids whilst my daughter was in her swim class - so although I hardly set a PB I did enjoy their pleasure, and I concentrated on form when I wasn't concentrating on avoiding the kids.

Much better than yesterday's 'am I made of lead?' Swim.

And much much longer than my weekend swim in the pool on roof of my Barcelona hotel. I think I maxed out at 10 laps. Maybe 4 m a length . ... But a) 2 lengths were full on sprints against the hubby ... B) I won the sprints. C) the view was lovely.

Still the best thing about today's swim was probably that some nice person handed in my bag with my I-pad in it to the reception desk...after my daughter and I got too distracted chatting to the fellow swimmers in the changing room.