Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    42 lengths. 1050m. Second 30 length Time Trial for Triatholon 17:58:85.
    Then 12 slow Breast/Back combo's as a cool down.
    Wo Ho consistent time under 18 minutes puts me in the middle of the pack based on Last Years results and about 4th for my age group ( Good thing that there were only 5 in the group last year )
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    62 minutes
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    62 minutes
    Stephen - What consistency! I know you have probably mentioned it before but where do you swim that you can go every day?

• NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Okay, I need to get serious now. I have an open water swim in about six weeks. I'm getting in the lake, no matter how damn cold, this weekend. And I need to bump up my yardage.

Today 1500 yards 43 minutes. *sighs* I've given up worrying about speeding up. It's disheartening and it gets me not wanting to swim when I sweat it.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    1400m Front crawl.
    Today 1500 yards 43 minutes. *sighs* I've given up worrying about speeding up. It's disheartening and it gets me not wanting to swim when I sweat it.
    My personal experience was that to speed up I had to Slow down and complete the last part of the stroke. Slowed my stroke rate, making sure that I was pushing all the way until my arm was straight. My Swim Coach gave me that tip in my lessons and I started paying lots of attention to the last part of my stroke I was normally starting to do arm recovery/stroke end with a bent elbow, that meant that I was not completing the very last part of the stroke. Don't sweat it just get in there and swim. Glad to see your comments back on the group :)
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Juliet is right on the money - ultimately you will want the stroke rate up while getting the full length of a powerful pull, but first you need to get the pull going all the way to the end. Once it becomes natural you can increase the stroke rate. It won't take long to get it, as long as you concentrate on the technique to make it natural. You can do that in conjunction with increasing the yardage, killing 2 birds with 1 stone. Don't get disheartened by any of it, all of a sudden you will see a big change as long as you stick to it. Plateaus, even some regression, are common & then all of a sudden there's a leap forward.....

Finally back in today after almost 2 weeks out (missed the last couple of days 2 weeks ago while biopsy spots healed, then had treatments last week. I had been hoping to swim Friday, but my wife was under the weather so I stayed home to get the kids off to school so she could get some much needed sleep....

Shaking the rust off freestyle workout today: 250, 500, 1000, 1500, 1500, 1000, 500, 250 yards.....
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Went to the pool very early so I could actually go swimming today - 1000m. (at about 700m my stomach woke up and I couldn't swim much more).
  • mpeters1965
    Options
    Swam today on my own, Masters tomorrow. We had a bit of a "cool' snap over the weekend so the pool water was down to 75 degrees. Made me swim a bit faster. 1500yds I think but I kind of lost count in the middle. Good thing I got the extra day in because I went whole hog on some pizza for lunch.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    2.5 km 54 min.
    Felt way tired before the swim, but the time turned out decent!
    Gym day tomorrow! Ugh!
    The gym work has certainly interfered with my swim groove and the balance I was getting into! Body is all out of whack!
    But will push through all the same, because it'll probably be for the good ultimately!
    The treadmill and circuits await! :anguished:
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    Okay, I need to get serious now. I have an open water swim in about six weeks. I'm getting in the lake, no matter how damn cold, this weekend. And I need to bump up my yardage.

Yeah don't worry about speeding up, especially if it is frustrating you out of the pool!
    Bump up the yardage as you're intending to already and get used to that increased daily yardage for now. You can always come back to speeding up later!

The little victories keep us going, be it technique, yardage, speed, etc

• AquaticQuests
    edited May 2015
    Options
  • stephenrhinton
    Options
    62 minutes ...
    Stephen - What consistency! I know you have probably mentioned it before but where do you swim that you can go every day?

I swim at a Gold's Gym ...its just a 2 lane lap pool, but open 24/7 ...I've been in the water as early as 5:30am and as late as midnight. And at least at mine the lanes are fairly open. I only rarely need to share a lane or wait for one to open. Much more economical than the YMCA or Aquatic Center Membership. On the downside, no teams or coaching available. I've toyed around with jumping over to the Aquatic Center for a bit just to be able to connect with more experienced swimmers.
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    2000 yards 58:30
  • mpeters1965
    Options
    62 minutes ...

I swim at a Gold's Gym ...its just a 2 lane lap pool, but open 24/7 ...I've been in the water as early as 5:30am and as late as midnight. And at least at mine the lanes are fairly open. I only rarely need to share a lane or wait for one to open. Much more economical than the YMCA or Aquatic Center Membership. On the downside, no teams or coaching available. I've toyed around with jumping over to the Aquatic Center for a bit just to be able to connect with more experienced swimmers.

That's a tough call. I know on the days I swim with a group, I put in better effort, but having the flexibility to go whenever you want to at a reasonable cost is great. Jumping over for a bit will mix it up and if you can do it on a trial basis, you can be sure you like it before committing. I know lots of people who swim every day on their own and are just fine with it.
  • NoelFigart1
    Options
    @stephenrhinton FWIW, I train by myself, and probably will for at least a year or so. There is no way I could keep up with the swimmers in my local Masters team, and it would suck the fun out of it to constantly be reminded of that. (Not that the people themselves are unkind. They're not. This is internal).

If you're more motivated by camaraderie, however, I cannot recommend some sort of swim group enough! Swim teams tend to be all about that.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @NoelFigart1 - I would bet if you looked into a Masters program, they would get you into a lane with swimmers of a similar ability (assuming you'd be interested).....

I.M. workout today, with a serious case of dead arms: 250 free, 500 free, 1000 free, 5 x200 I.M., 500 free, 5 x 200 I.M., 1000 free, 250 free......
  • mpeters1965
    Options
    @stephenrhinton FWIW, I train by myself, and probably will for at least a year or so. There is no way I could keep up with the swimmers in my local Masters team, and it would suck the fun out of it to constantly be reminded of that. (Not that the people themselves are unkind. They're not. This is internal).

If you're more motivated by camaraderie, however, I cannot recommend some sort of swim group enough! Swim teams tend to be all about that.

I am the slowest swimmer in our regular masters group. New people come in and they might be slower at first but they always seem to speed up past me eventually. In this morning's hour workout, I got in 2,000 yds of mixed freestyle sets. If I flat out swam for an hour, I could maybe get 2,300 yds and if there is any significant amount of non-freestyle work, it can drop to 1,700.

I agree that it can suck the fun out being the slowest, especially on the days when we have lots of new people and I am kicked up to a faster lane and get consistently passed by our speedies. But it is ALL internal. None of them seem to care. I am not all that competitive by nature but I am used to being extremely competent in all other phases of my life so it is definitely an adjustment. I work on what I can and remind myself of the things I am good at on the days where it seems to bug me more. I have an excellent and efficient open turn (still working on flips) and great endurance. While I may not be fast, I'm also faster than I used to be. And hey, I'm in the pool and love it! :smile:
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    45 min sprints.
    Woke up too late to hit the gym which is usually a 2 hr workout.
    So I had to make do with the pool lol :smile:
    And after reading this, I'm not exactly missing the treadmill either: http://gawker.com/mexican-officials-say-dave-goldberg-died-after-falling-1702118187
  • stephenrhinton
    Options
    61 minutes
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    60min of masters. We did 100m IMs - and I did the whole length of butterfly!! Four times! Yes!!!! (The rest of each IM was torture - I was done after that length of fly).