Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    2400SCM
    Masters Group

First swim in 10 days due to a chest infection, and first since MRI results.

Please excuse/ignore the P (pain) ratings - they are for my reference to track which sets cause what degree of pain so I can liaise with coach etc and have some information for orthopaedic surgeon when he reviews me in six weeks.

Pre swim P2

200 free P2
    100 back P1
    100 br P1

4x
    100 free kick
    100 br kick
    2x 25 swim/run

100 free easy P1
    100 free moderate P1
    25 free left arm P1 but not good feel for water
    25 free right arm P0
    100 free fast P3

200 br P0

200 free as alternate fast/easy P3

100 back as alternate fast/easy P0

100 fly as alternate fast/easy P4

50 easy
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    Yesterdays Swim that I forgot to log. Another Sprint Triathlon Time Trial.
    750m Free 18 mins, seems to be my average when I have an empty lane, 18:45 when in a group.

Then finished off with some mixed sets. 250 m Back, 250 m Breast, 250 m Back, 250 m Breast
    Kick set 50 flutter, 50 whip, 50 dolphin front, 50 dolphin-back ( great Ab Work-out )
    100m left shoulder breathing drill as a slow coodown.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Yep. 2 miles in Lake Memphremagog. 2:06.12 It was totally awesome, I was the slowest swimmer at the event and I wanna do it again.
  • juliet3455
    Options
    Yep. 2 miles in Lake Memphremagog. 2:06.12 It was totally awesome, I was the slowest swimmer at the event and I wanna do it again.

Attitude!! Great it is. B)

Its not where you placed, its that you finished and accomplished a goal.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! You have been such a quiet inspiration to me! :)
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    MsJ's workout, and then aquafitness class. Funny how MFP overestimates calorie burns except aquatints, lol. These instructors follow our lead, and they have said that when they see us working hard, it motivates them to challenge us more. There were way more than 150 calories burned in that 55 minute class.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    10 minutes breaststroke kickboard, 37 minutes front crawl pull bouy, 15 minutes backstroke closed fist ...
    4 sprint laps (100m)
    Stephen - I've never swam with a closed fist except as a drill, 50 or a 100 yds at a time. Is it tiring doing it for that long?
    It is a little tiring, but I am also moving much slower. I think if I were trying to do it and maintain speed it would be exhausting ...but I'm trying really hard to find ways to up my workout without watching the clock or counting ...

I actually find the pull buoy laps to be more difficult. Trying to figure out where/how to situate the buoy so I get the right level of buoyancy for my legs. (Doesn't help that I am using a water aerobic float weight instead of a real pull buoy). I also realized today how much that flutter kick stabilized me in the front crawl. I felt like I was rolling and swaying all over the place today without it.
  • panhandle8
    panhandle8 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Warm up, kick w/fins, 45 minutes continuous swim, and then some 50 sprints thrown in for good measure.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I actually find the pull buoy laps to be more difficult. Trying to figure out where/how to situate the buoy so I get the right level of buoyancy for my legs. (Doesn't help that I am using a water aerobic float weight instead of a real pull buoy). I also realized today how much that flutter kick stabilized me in the front crawl. I felt like I was rolling and swaying all over the place today without it.

Swimming with a buoy can be more difficult for sure. You really have to use your core muscles to keep yourself stabilized rather than depending on your kick, as you have found. You have to find the sweet spot between some rotation to help streamline your body through the water and not imitating a canoe about to flip over. I am a really buoyant person and so it doesn't much matter where I put the buoy. I swear I could almost go without one. Don't have to worry too much about drowning but trying to get underwater can be challenging. :wink:
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Only one swim last week. Hopefully this week I'm back to my usual routine!

I went to do my laps and then my aquafitness class, but I've been falling down tired lately. I think it's a combination of working out a lot during a busy and stressful time at work. Now I've got a couple of weeks off, so my body is screaming that it all caught up to me. I ended up skipping the class and swimming laps. I decided to forgo the planned workout and just do whatever felt right. Ended up swimming about an hour, maybe a little more. Some things felt difficult, others better. One thing I have been trying to do is slow down so that I'm not so winded. I feel like I get into a rhythm with a strong pull and wear myself out. For the first time, I tried to just swim slowly (as I assume a cool down swim would be) to see if I could keep going. It felt good, but I wondered if there is much of a workout in that? Then again, if I kept going and going, eventually it would be a workout, and my guess is that as I warmed up, I would eventually get back to a stronger pull...

Good job curls. Easy does it!
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    2400SCM
    Masters Group

First swim in 10 days due to a chest infection, and first since MRI results.

Please excuse/ignore the P (pain) ratings - they are for my reference to track which sets cause what degree of pain so I can liaise with coach etc and have some information for orthopaedic surgeon when he reviews me in six weeks.

Pre swim P2

200 free P2
    100 back P1
    100 br P1

4x
    100 free kick
    100 br kick
    2x 25 swim/run

100 free easy P1
    100 free moderate P1
    25 free left arm P1 but not good feel for water
    25 free right arm P0
    100 free fast P3

200 br P0

200 free as alternate fast/easy P3

100 back as alternate fast/easy P0

100 fly as alternate fast/easy P4

50 easy

Pain ratings! Wow. Hope you work through the issue!!!
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Yesterdays Swim that I forgot to log. Another Sprint Triathlon Time Trial.
    750m Free 18 mins, seems to be my average when I have an empty lane, 18:45 when in a group.

Then finished off with some mixed sets. 250 m Back, 250 m Breast, 250 m Back, 250 m Breast
    Kick set 50 flutter, 50 whip, 50 dolphin front, 50 dolphin-back ( great Ab Work-out )
    100m left shoulder breathing drill as a slow coodown.

Good job Juliet!

Fantastic work Noel. Isn't that your longest swim ever. Great job. Glad you finally did it! Wow!
    MsJ's workout, and then aquafitness class. Funny how MFP overestimates calorie burns except aquatints, lol. These instructors follow our lead, and they have said that when they see us working hard, it motivates them to challenge us more. There were way more than 150 calories burned in that 55 minute class.
    Yep those calorie calculation things can be tricky and misleading!
    10 minutes breaststroke kickboard, 37 minutes front crawl pull bouy, 15 minutes backstroke closed fist ...
    4 sprint laps (100m)
    Stephen - I've never swam with a closed fist except as a drill, 50 or a 100 yds at a time. Is it tiring doing it for that long?
    It is a little tiring, but I am also moving much slower. I think if I were trying to do it and maintain speed it would be exhausting ...but I'm trying really hard to find ways to up my workout without watching the clock or counting ...

I need to start doing some of those closed fist drills!
    panhandle8 wrote: »
    Warm up, kick w/fins, 45 minutes continuous swim, and then some 50 sprints thrown in for good measure.
    Good job! Long swim and sprints!

Swimming with a buoy can be more difficult for sure. You really have to use your core muscles to keep yourself stabilized rather than depending on your kick, as you have found. You have to find the sweet spot between some rotation to help streamline your body through the water and not imitating a canoe about to flip over. I am a really buoyant person and so it doesn't much matter where I put the buoy. I swear I could almost go without one. Don't have to worry too much about drowning but trying to get underwater can be challenging. :wink:

Like the closed fist drills, need to finally get a pull buoy. Left it too long!

• stephenrhinton
    Options
    ~15 minutes breast stroke, ~25 minutes front crawl kickboard, ~20 minutes backstroke pull buoy
  • panhandle8
    Options
    Went with my 10 yr old today. He worked on bilateral breathing and I worked on completing laps as he interrupted me...Needless to say, I didn't get much swimming done. :)
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Swimming with a closed fist is going to be slower because you're not getting that extra pull from the upped hand. It's designed to help you learn to get resistance along the length of the arm, which will help create a more powerful pull in conjunction with the cupped hand. Don't compare your speed doing it with your regular freestyle, just like you wouldn't with a kicking drill, instead use those lengths to concentrate on the purpose of the drill - learn the feel of getting that resistance along the whole arm.....
  • juliet3455
    edited June 2015
    Options
    10 minutes breaststroke kickboard, 37 minutes front crawl pull bouy, 15 minutes backstroke closed fist ... 4 sprint laps (100m)
    It is a little tiring, but I am also moving much slower.
    I actually find the pull buoy laps to be more difficult. (Doesn't help that I am using a water aerobic float weight instead of a real pull buoy). I also realized today how much that flutter kick stabilized me in the front crawl. I felt like I was rolling and swaying all over the place today without it.

I have never seen anyone do that much closed fist work - Good on you.
    If I use a Pull Buoy on Back Stroke I tend to Roll and Wander around the Lane so I know exactly what you mean.
    As Mac said
    Macstraw wrote: »
    Swimming with a closed fist is going to be slower because you're not getting that extra pull from the upped hand. It's designed --- to help you learn the feel of getting that resistance along the whole arm.....
    Only one swim last week. Hopefully this week I'm back to my usual routine! Like the closed fist drills, need to finally get a pull buoy. Left it too long!
    @Stephen and @AquaticQuests - Check out swimoutlet.com an online shop for swim gear and I am sure you can get a reasonable priced pull buoy there that will be better than what you are using. AQ not sure if they have an equivalent in your corner of the globe but its worth a try,

Breast Stroke Day 750m breast, 250m free, 250 back, 50 free sprint, 200 left shoulder breathing w fins.
    Slowly getting better on the Bi-lateral breathing.
    I must be doing something right because I have had some new swimmers ask me for pointers. I usually point at one of the LG's - most (70-80%) of our LG's are trained as swim instructor's so they are all ways willing to give a pointer about technique.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I got a decent pull buoy off of eBay for a good price a few years ago, try there also.....

Taking the extra couple of days off was exactly what the doctor ordered, usually when I do that I can feel the layoff but I was nice & strong today. All freestyle: 250, 500, 1000, 1500, 1500, 1000, 500, 250 yards in 114 minutes......
  • panhandle8
    Options
    I believe my pull buoy was $4.xx on swimoutlet.com
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    65 minutes, 2050m. I spent the whole time concentrating on the one change my coach suggested (changing the rotation of my hand as it exits the water). I feel like I just did push-ups for an hour.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    A bit of a rush today - so just 25 mins. Not sure on lengths as I used the lap counter, but kept on forgetting to press it.

Bizarre tightness across my chest that had me really puzzled - til I remembered I was at a barn dance Saturday night, and we were doing the basket (ie your arms take your entire body weight, whilst spinning around)...

It was fun to be dancing, and my aerobic fitness was just fine thanks to the swimming!
  • stephenrhinton
    Options
    18 minutes closed fist breast stroke, 44 minutes front crawl
  • juliet3455
    Options
    Had a Flying Trip to Edmonton today for work. Did a combination run and swim at the Kinsmen Park ( 1976 Commonwealth Games ) area. Did the 5 km Emily Murphy park/River Valley Rd Loop.
    Loved the South side run thru the trees along the river on the Gravel bush trail.
    Then went into the Kinsmen pool ( 50m ) and did a very slow 700m of mixed free/breast/back.
    Just didn't have any legs left after running ( to many little hills along the river bank ).
    Really understand why Triathlons are Swim Bike Run.