Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    Wowsers Smokin Time Kida.!!! I haven't had any Finger pain, Have you ever Injured your hand/arm?
    Thanks!
    Nope, never injured anything. The only thing I can think of is that the way I'm holding my hands is wrong - it doesn't bother my left, but my left hand/arm is stronger (I'm a lefty and a cellist, so it gets a good workout in daily life). Looking at this video - http://www.theraceclub.com/videos/secret-tip-how-to-position-your-hands-underwater/ - I'm thinking that I'm 'cupping' my hand too much, and it's putting undue stress on my fingers. I experimented with it a bit today, just to see if I could avoid the pain and it made a difference without comprimising my stroke.

50 mintues today - not sure how much distance as I lost track after 1k, but I was going slowly and doing drills, so I'll guess 1.5k.
  • panhandle8
    panhandle8 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The pool has been shut down for "cleaning" for the last 2 days. Algae build up...
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Slept poorly but got to the pool anyway. Not sure of the distance because I ran into a friend and chat/swam much of it but in hindsight, it's all I was really fit for. :smile:
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    After a second 10-day period of no swimming, I decided to try a slow easy mile swim to see how my elbow was. After 1,000 yards, I was starting to feel a little something so I stopped. It was not yet red or hot and was not actual pain yet but I did not want to push it. I think it is getting better.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    I feel for you emma, I have got corn flake chips in my shoulder joint. It's hell getting old.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Great swimming (as always), Folks!!!!

All freestyle today & felt pretty strong for the 2nd day in a row: 250, 500, 1000, 1500, 1500, 1000, 500, 250 yards....
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    ~45 minutes front crawl, ~15 minutes backstroke kickboard, 2 'sprint-ish' laps ...
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Options
    30 minutes, 1k. Keeping my fingers crossed that people will actually be at the lake tomorrow like they're supposed to. Booked myself a camp site for my race on June 28th!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    75 minutes. 750 m free 19 mins. 250 m back, 250 m breast, 250 free. last 750 was done at an extremely slow pace. Working on breathing and general technique.
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Kinda sorta swam today. Got up this morning feeling tired but went to the gym anyway. Started out OK, but as I swam I just felt more & more wiped out. You know when you're so physically tired that it almost feels like your body is humming or vibrating? That's the point it got to, so I decided it was smarter to knock off. I only did a 250 free, a 500 free & a 1000 free (the last 250 of it I slowed down & used it as my cool down). Not sure what I'm gonna do tomorrow, I have a golf outing at 11:00 & I had planned on swimming beforehand but I'm not sure if I'm gonna swim now. I'll see how the rest of today goes & how I sleep tonight - my wife said I was very restless last night, so I think not falling deep asleep is part of the problem....
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Options
    I hate when those days happen, Mac. And the worst part is it can be tricky to tell if going ahead and exercising will give you more energy or wear you down more. Hope you feel better tomorrow!

Open water practice! And they were actually there - at a different beach than the one I thought (there are two on our small lake), so I didn't actually join them until half way through the practice. About 1 hour of swimming, and the coach said it was about 2km. We practiced drafting, for the most part. Which was really tricky for me - I kept up on the first 100m, and did feel the benefit of drafting, but the other swimmers were faster paced than me and I decided I should practice my sighting and go my own pace rather than kill myself sprinting the whole time to keep up with the others. (I was also the only non-wetsuit person, so that probably contributed to my slower pace).

Coach was surprised at how well I was sighting (which was news to me), and even more surprised when I told him I learned how from youtube. Got a few stroke corrections that I shall be practicing for next week. (Higher recovery for when there are waves, and changing my hand position for the finish of the stroke).
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Did swim yesterday and gonna swim again today. I have this little route I swim in the lake.

God, I am going to hate it when winter comes and I can't get in the open water any more.

Up Saturday, Son of a Swim at Lake Memphremagog. 2 miles. While I have done 2 miles in the pool before, never done it in open water.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Macstraw wrote: »
    Kinda sorta swam today. Got up this morning feeling tired but went to the gym anyway. Started out OK, but as I swam I just felt more & more wiped out. You know when you're so physically tired that it almost feels like your body is humming or vibrating? That's the point it got to, so I decided it was smarter to knock off. I only did a 250 free, a 500 free & a 1000 free (the last 250 of it I slowed down & used it as my cool down). Not sure what I'm gonna do tomorrow, I have a golf outing at 11:00 & I had planned on swimming beforehand but I'm not sure if I'm gonna swim now. I'll see how the rest of today goes & how I sleep tonight - my wife said I was very restless last night, so I think not falling deep asleep is part of the problem....
    Trouble sleeping can also be an indication of over-training. Take a few days off, see how you feel then.

• stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    15 minutes pull bouy breast stroke, 30 minutes closed fist front crawl, 16 minutes backstroke
    4 lengths (100m) sprint interspersed.
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Thanks, guys - I took it easy after I got home & spent the afternoon taking care of the lawn. I'll head into bed at a decent hour & sleep a little later. I was up in the air about whether I was gonna swim tomorrow, then fate intervened & made my decision for me. Pennsylvania passed recent legislation requiring any adults working or volunteering with kids to have background checks & since I live in NY I'm required to get fingerprinted, so I'm gonna shoot out there in the morning to get that taken care of. I'll have plenty of time to get that done & get back for the golf outing here, so it'll give me 4 days out of the water.....

Kida & Noel - great work with the open water swims!!!!!
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    First day back in the pool for a chunk of time (my body woes, and then mum in hospital...) - so a gentle 1k or so to ease back in. I was glad to be back in the pool.

But reading some of the group's body challenges (I've not logged in for a while) made me even more grateful for what I can do...and can keep on doing.... Emma, Bruce - wishing you well.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Meters instead of yards again today. Mixed sets. 1800 total in about 50 minutes. You guys all inspire me. Everyone is doing something different and some are having challenges but are keeping it up anyway. :smile:

Stephen - I've never swam with a closed fist except as a drill, 50 or a 100 yds at a time. Is it tiring doing it for that long?

• panhandle8
    panhandle8 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Finally back in the pool although my lips feel weird! Probably due to whatever chemical they used to blast the algae. Swam 50 minutes.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Macstraw wrote: »
    Very unusual for you! I wonder what that was all about? Sounds really unusual!
    For me I learned the hard way lack of sleep has major negative effect on my form and ability. So if I'm up really late these days, I don't even attempt an early morning swim - doesn't work!
    Robertus wrote: »
    After a second 10-day period of no swimming, I decided to try a slow easy mile swim to see how my elbow was. After 1,000 yards, I was starting to feel a little something so I stopped. It was not yet red or hot and was not actual pain yet but I did not want to push it. I think it is getting better.
    Good idea. To take things at your own pace!
    Bruceapple wrote: »
    I feel for you emma, I have got corn flake chips in my shoulder joint. It's hell getting old.
    You're in our thoughts Bruce. But I'm sure you'll pick up an alternative exercise that will eventually capture your heart the way swimming has!!!
    I hate when those days happen, Mac. And the worst part is it can be tricky to tell if going ahead and exercising will give you more energy or wear you down more. Hope you feel better tomorrow!

Open water practice! And they were actually there - at a different beach than the one I thought (there are two on our small lake), so I didn't actually join them until half way through the practice. About 1 hour of swimming, and the coach said it was about 2km. We practiced drafting, for the most part. Which was really tricky for me - I kept up on the first 100m, and did feel the benefit of drafting, but the other swimmers were faster paced than me and I decided I should practice my sighting and go my own pace rather than kill myself sprinting the whole time to keep up with the others. (I was also the only non-wetsuit person, so that probably contributed to my slower pace).
    Coach was surprised at how well I was sighting (which was news to me), and even more surprised when I told him I learned how from youtube. Got a few stroke corrections that I shall be practicing for next week. (Higher recovery for when there are waves, and changing my hand position for the finish of the stroke).

Good stuff! Sounds exciting. You and Noel with your open water swims!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I went to do my laps and then my aquafitness class, but I've been falling down tired lately. I think it's a combination of working out a lot during a busy and stressful time at work. Now I've got a couple of weeks off, so my body is screaming that it all caught up to me. I ended up skipping the class and swimming laps. I decided to forgo the planned workout and just do whatever felt right. Ended up swimming about an hour, maybe a little more. Some things felt difficult, others better. One thing I have been trying to do is slow down so that I'm not so winded. I feel like I get into a rhythm with a strong pull and wear myself out. For the first time, I tried to just swim slowly (as I assume a cool down swim would be) to see if I could keep going. It felt good, but I wondered if there is much of a workout in that? Then again, if I kept going and going, eventually it would be a workout, and my guess is that as I warmed up, I would eventually get back to a stronger pull...