Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• dlmciver
    dlmciver Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I did a mile free with a lane to myself. Life doesn't get much better than that !
  • 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I haven't been swimming much over the past few weeks, and not at all last week but I did have the excuse of being on holiday with my mum over in county Donegal, Ireland. We did a lot of walking (in between being fed sandwiches, tea and cakes by the relatives) but I didn't get a chance to swim.

Made it this morning - did 1km crawl, 1km mixed kicks with fins, 1km crawl, some breast stroke and some backstroke, Felt good to be properly back.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    dlmciver wrote: »
    I did a mile free with a lane to myself. Life doesn't get much better than that !
    The benefit of Halloween when everyone is chasing their kids around frees up the pool. Enjoy it while you can the New Years Resolution Crowd is fast approaching.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I made it. Got in about an hour. It was a good swim (finally!). Mostly free, with MsJ's workout mixed in. I am fine on my back, but lack confidence, so I begin sinking or feeling like I'm swerving all over the place. It's those back drills that really lengthen me when I turn over though, so I'm still doing them.
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    After a fun Halloween, got in the pool today for 3050 yards in 71 minutes (2:20/100y pace). Nice and cool and heavy rain at times. Somewhat crowded as well, will be interesting to see if that continues as the weather gets colder.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    2250m

2X (50 free 50 br 50 back)

4X75 kick (sprint last 25)

8X50 alt fly/br and fly/back on 55s (hideous!)

2X (100 br 150 back 200 free)

3X100 as br back free

50 easy
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Back in the pool after 2 weeks off - as life/childcare got in the way .... And my did I feel like a rusty tin can man rather than a mermaid!

Still - like curly - I thought of all of us during my swim, decided just to keep on going and get atleast 1k done.

It wasn't fast or pretty - but I did it. Good to read all about everyone's progress (and struggles) in and out of the pool and welcome some new faces too! Well done all of us.
  • juliet3455
    Options
    1000m - 750 crawl - 250 breast. Quick new hour splash.
    Starting to snow outside.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    Got into the ocean for the first time since knee surgery! Just some wave play as the current was pretty strong and I just wanted to see how I would feel. My new wetsuit is amazing as well! Very happy it is summer...
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Nice work, all. About an hour and once again I didn't count yardage (I could get used to this!). I worked on various things including breaststroke and backstroke and some kicking with fins and got talked into doing one IM set. My butterfly still sucks.

It should be getting cooler here but the weather is not cooperating. Supposed to get to 89 degrees today (I think that is 32 for most of the rest of the world if Google is correct). I am still wearing skirts and sandals and sleeveless shirts. We don't often get very cold here but I wouldn't mind a few degrees reduction in temperature.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    2700 in 72 min.
  • emmab0902
    Options
    2600m

200 mixed strokes
    6X50 high elbow drill
    6X100 as 50 br/50 back
    4X150 free high shoulder
    6X100 as 25 fly/50 free/25 fly (YUCK!)
    8X25 as 12.5 underwater fly on back/12.5 swim
    100 easy

The high shoulder/rotation drills made me feel like an intoxicated centipede with an enormous backside, as I felt like I was snaking all over the place. My coach said I didn't look like one. I think he's lying.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I haven't been in the water for a week now. My pool IS closed for maintenance, but that really is just an excuse. I could go to the other pool closer to my work instead. I've been having motivational issues, so I'm giving myself permission to take a break from swimming. I barely exercised this last week at all. So I'm going to try to be better this week by doing other stuff, and see how that works. Did some body weight strength stuff last night (very intro level) and a 'Pound' class at the gym today. Given the doldrums I vacillate between 'I need something quick and easy I can do at home' and 'I need to be with other people to hold me accountable' ...

@emmab 'underwater fly on back' ?!?!?! really? what does that look like? Can you actually do that in 3 dimensional space-time or does it require some sort of quantum mechanical effect? And this is apparently not the drill of the set that made you feel insectoid ...
  • nuffer
    nuffer Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    2500 yards in just under an hour. Took a few laps to get warmed up after someone wanted to chat on the pool deck before I got started. Standing around on wet concrete in only swim trunks when it's just over 40 degrees (F) had my teeth chattering. Only two others in the pool for evening swim with a clear night sky.

@stephenrhinton - I hear you about motivation. I think the only thing keeping me going right now is the fact that I have a friend that will be joining me soon for evening laps and I have a lot of work to do to keep up with him.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    2700 yards in 72 minutes, followed by a VERY cold shower. The pool water was fine, but the boilers must be out on the shower heaters because there was a big fat goose-egg of hot water in the shower. zero. zip. nada. Thankfully, after shivering through my post-swim ablutions, I stepped out into a beautiful, sunny unseasonably warm 76-degree November day. Thank goodness for global warming??
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Mmmm a fairly rubbish swim - slow, and lost count, and not sure what time I got in and my shoulder hurting a bit and....

But I went. And I did not succumb to my desire to get out early.

It is not always easy to keep going, is it? But when I remember the really important goals (healthy heart etc) rather than the smaller goals (faster or better or thinner or whatever) then the discipline to just go is easier I find.

I have decided to put a waterproof iPod on the Santa list... I want to try the story book/ podcast approach to seeing if I can make the swim itself more enjoyable. Mind you I asked last year and did not get...clealry have not been good enough!

• emmab0902
    Options
    @stephenrhinton it was fly kick on back not full stroke lol
  • juliet3455
    Options
    750m crawl - 20min
    750m breast - 30min
    Unlike @rosebarnalice The pool was the temp of a Hot Tub and the showers were even warmer. The Joys of Pool Mtc upgrades that take longer than expected.
    @stephenrhinton I know how you feel with the pool closed for Mtc.
    And I agree with you @emmab0902's swim workouts are monsters.
  • SwimmyD
    SwimmyD Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Swam 4km today!! Feeling great about it. I made my way back into the pool after more than a decade out. I started with 1,500m four weeks ago and been going three days a week. I really never ever thought I'd be able to swim like this again. It's like being re-united with an old love. I certainly don't have the speed that I used to have, but at this point all I care about is just feeling good about my swimming again!!
  • aliciamariaq
    aliciamariaq Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    @stephenrhinton it was fly kick on back not full stroke lol

That's actually pretty fun! I love coming out of a backstroke turn and doing half the pool underwater!