Did you swim today?

Replies

• Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    edited June 2015
    Stayed out of the pool for 10 days to let my epicondylitis (tennis & gold elbow) heal. Swam a very slow mile and a half and was starting to notice some tricep soreness. As it started moving more toward the elbow, I stopped and the lower tricep was red and warm. Never saw that before. Guess I'll be out of the pool for a while still. I will not let this become a chronic injury.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited June 2015
    If you don't mind my asking, Juliet, where do you live?
    Town of Peace River in Northern Alberta, its about a 5 hour drive north of Edmonton ( Ladies FIFA World Cup )

Who is " George R. R. Martin, please write, and write faster"
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Okay, yes, you get more cold than we.

George R. R. Martin is the author of the Song of Ice and Fire series (i.e. Game of Thrones). Some nerds wrote a song about how they want him to finish the last two books in the series soon because Mr. Martin is getting old and these books are quite long.
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,338 Member
    Feeling ignorant!! Can someone please tell me what MsJ's workout is that many of you seem to be doing??
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    edited June 2015
    emmab0902 wrote: »
    Feeling ignorant!! Can someone please tell me what MsJ's workout is that many of you seem to be doing??

Link to her Post. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10164950/swim-workouts/p1
    Short swim today, to many life conflicts. 750m: 500 breast, 100 back, 150 free. Was dragging the piano today.
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    I've been having a hard time keeping myself motivated to get to the pool (which is stupid, because I love swimming and shouldn't need motivation). But I made it today to a 50m lane swim. 2km in 1 hour. Times were a bit slower, but I really liked the long course. I start open water practice on Thursday.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,281 Member
    I've been having a hard time keeping myself motivated to get to the pool (which is stupid, because I love swimming and shouldn't need motivation). But I made it today to a 50m lane swim. 2km in 1 hour. Times were a bit slower, but I really liked the long course. I start open water practice on Thursday.

Oooh, I would love to try out a 50m lane! Well, on a good day I would. Today was pretty good. MsJ's workout and it went well. The back kick drills kick my butt (literally) and my hamstrings and my abs. I'm still not a straight swimmer on my back. I find that when I focus on the ceiling, it can actually be worse. I sometimes find myself just swimming, and feeling much more relaxed and straighter. Overthinking it, probably.
  • panhandle8
    panhandle8 Posts: 65 Member
    Pretty good swim today. Mixed in back kick drills, plain 'ole laps, and 16x50 sprints.
  • emmab0902
    juliet3455 wrote: »

Link to her Post. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10164950/swim-workouts/p1

Thanks heaps

Tonight's swim

2100SCM
    Masters
    Aim: no idea!!

2x 225 as 100 free 50 br 50 back 25 fly

8x50 kick fly on back/front

3x200 pull on 3.15

10x
    10 pullups on block
    swim 12.5m
    5 squat jumps
    swim 12.5m
    run 12.5m
    underwater 12.5m
    (20s rest between)

5x50 mixup ie different stroke for arms/legs

100 easy
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Woke up 10 minutes late! Forgot to set the alarm but made it anyway. About 1750 yds with two IM sets in there (with a 15 sec rest after fly). The high school kids are starting to swim at 7am now and they take up about half the pool. I need to work on getting done before they get in and the rest of us get kicked into the other lanes. No complaints from me about them though. Seeing that many teens and preteens up early doing something healthy appeals to the mom in me.
  • NoelFigart1
    2000 yds 55:29
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 947 Member
    edited June 2015
    I'm probably out of the pool till at least Friday, recovering from malaria, followed by a three day church fast!
    2000 59:30
    And a swim lesson. Gotta get that speed up!
    January 10, 2015
    2000 yds 55:29
    June 8, 2015
    I thought you said you were getting slower? (your blog) :smile:
    I really love starting to swim when it's dark and finishing when the sun is coming up.
    Same here. And as it gets brighter, you get additional motivation to keep going!!!
    Robertus wrote: »
    Stayed out of the pool for 10 days to let my epicondylitis (tennis & gold elbow) heal. Swam a very slow mile and a half and was starting to notice some tricep soreness. As it started moving more toward the elbow, I stopped and the lower tricep was red and warm. Never saw that before. Guess I'll be out of the pool for a while still. I will not let this become a chronic injury.
    Fascinating. Yep keep resting it. I'm also researching the problem like crazy to bring in technique tweaks that will hopefully allow me retain some form of high elbow catch, and keeping swimming my distances, and hopefully faster.
    I've been having a hard time keeping myself motivated to get to the pool (which is stupid, because I love swimming and shouldn't need motivation). But I made it today to a 50m lane swim.
    Once you're back in, you wonder what kept you out so long!
    I used to be slower over long course. Now I think I'm getting faster over long course because I'm getting "lazier" with more frequent stops at each turn in the short course pool!

[quote=. I sometimes find myself just swimming, and feeling much more relaxed and straighter. Overthinking it, probably.
    I think I over think things too, sometimes - you should hear my internal dialogue while swimming!

Tonight's swim 2100SCM Masters
    Aim: no idea!!
    Lol aim was to get faster and better which I'm sure you're doing? On the other hand it may have just been to remind you that the coach is the boss :smiley:
    A question - how much do you speedos think about pulling hard each stroke? I think a fair bit about stike style, and it is pretty good, but I do wonder if I shoukd simply be putting more effort into each pull and simply working a bit harder... (And. When I do sprints I tend to think about kicking hard, rather than pulling hard...)
    I doubt I would call myself a Speedo, but the pull is far more crucial then the kick. So I imagine getting as powerful and technically correct pull as you can, at a level that you can sustain at a constant tempo and cadence/ stroke rate over the distance without flaming out is key!
  • NoelFigart1
    I did get slower before I got faster!

But yes, my speed is now faster by a little bit.

It seems, I think, that tighter bathing suits make a difference, too. I know, weird, but anyway...
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Another 2k today. I did a bunch of closefisted swimming to try and get a feel for using my fore and upper arms more effectively - I think it worked, and now my arms are jelly.
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Feel for you Robert. MRI on my shoulder today, Dr. to talk about it on Thursday.
    I miss the water.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    bodyflow workout (tai chi/yoga hybrid) at my gym yesterday ...made me sore in muscles that swimming doesnt ...

61 minutes today, all continuous crawl
  • Kida_Adeylne

61 minutes today, all continuous crawl
    Wow! I remember just a month or two ago you didn't think you'd be able to do that! Way to go.

• Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Great job folks, I'm gone for only a few days & there were 38 new posts!!!! I'm back to it tomorrow - weather permitting. We have thunderstorms going on now & they're supposed to continue through the morning - they won't let us swim even though it's indoors. I can't blame them, safety has to come first, but I don't have to like it...
  • emmab0902
    For those of you with tennis elbow type pain this might be of interest. Trigger point work has worked wonders for my front of shoulder pain which is coming from the infraspinatus at the back! Have also had elbow pain relieved as in this link

http://www.triggerpointtherapist.com/blog/supraspinatus-trigger-points/treating-stubborn-supraspinatus-trigger-points/
  • panhandle8
    panhandle8 Posts: 65 Member
    Swam ladders tonight.