Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• 60sPanda
    60sPanda Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Yesterday managed a paltry 2.5km in just over an hour - really slow as I just wasn't feeling it.

Much better this morning with 2.2km in 45 mins.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    1900yds, mixed drills, kicking, pulling and swimming. All freestyle. 55 minutes.
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! It was really cold (13c air temp, 16c water temp). Also really wavy (1.25m waves, apparently). But it wasn't raining (in that brief window of time). And it was fun!
    But I just checked the results so I could share my time (40:42 for 1.5k), and I was actually on the leader board (3rd for no-wetsuit women! 7th over all for no-wetsuit) But I was also a good 5 minutes slower than 2nd place. :tongue:

In the future, I know I need to actually warm up (It took me a good while to actually start using front stroke because the water was giving me brain freeze), practice more sighting (I often dropped into breast for a few strokes so I could see) and practice in wavy conditions (I went off course a few times). With those things fixed, I could have easily dropped 5 minutes.
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Wow, great job, Kida!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. Sounds like you're ready for your next event!! :)
  • panhandle8
    panhandle8 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I didn't swim over the weekend, but Friday I had a really good swim. 2350y in 45 minutes, 25 sprints, kick on back drills, and the usual warm up/cool down laps. 1 hr.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    1.65 km in 36 min
    Pool closed on me again
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    Great job everyone!
    Robertus wrote: »
    Swam a slow mile today. Wore a brace on my elbow and it felt OK. Maybe I will try 2 miles on Tuesday, but stop at the first sign of any pain. First time swimming in a salt-water pool. My gym had a fire alarm go off so I went to one of the sister gyms. I didn't like the pool better (slippery walls made the flip-turns a little more inefficient) but I do like not smelling like chlorine.
    Welcome back. Good job easing into it. I still have occasional pain in the elbows too, but in believe the break from swimming I had was useful too, and keeping close watch on my technique!
    60sPanda wrote: »
    Yesterday managed a paltry 2.5km in just over an hour - really slow as I just wasn't feeling it.
    That was me with the last swim last week. I was completely out of it!
    Thanks guys! It was really cold (13c air temp, 16c water temp). Also really wavy (1.25m waves, apparently). But it wasn't raining (in that brief window of time). And it was fun!
    But I just checked the results so I could share my time (40:42 for 1.5k), and I was actually on the leader board (3rd for no-wetsuit women! 7th over all for no-wetsuit) But I was also a good 5 minutes slower than 2nd place. :tongue:

In the future, I know I need to actually warm up (It took me a good while to actually start using front stroke because the water was giving me brain freeze), practice more sighting (I often dropped into breast for a few strokes so I could see) and practice in wavy conditions (I went off course a few times). With those things fixed, I could have easily dropped 5 minutes.
    Great job Kida. You're already building up the experience!
    And my that water was COLD!

• stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    60sPanda wrote: »

Much better this morning with 2.2km in 45 mins.

Your paltry is better than my personal best ....

Many Kudos Kida ...I'm jealous ...

~50 mins kickboard breast stroke, ~12min pull buoy front crawl
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Open Water Monday at a local pond to train with the *shudder* triathletes.

If the course really was a mile, that was a total PB at 36:43.

I confess I doubt it a little, as I've NEVER swum a mile that I know was a mile (my GPS watch couldn't catch a signal) in less than 47:00.

However, I was swimming with people who were like, finished with the course in 2/3 the time, and it was embarrassing to be so damn slow, so I was pushing harder than usual.

And there was a cloudburst, so I was trying to get in faster so the poor lifeguard could paddle in to shore and get out of the cold rain.
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Great job, everybody & congrats Kida!!!! No swims this week, IV treatment week but I should get some walking in now that I'm in Pennsylvania for the summer.....
  • panhandle8
    panhandle8 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Swam tonight. Sprints, a 30 min continuous swim, and fin work.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    1300m yesterday - ok bought my new goggles, but this time my finger counter died. Grrr. That didn't even last long enough for me to get used to always tapping it.

Good luck Kida!

Curly know what you mean about a) long stretches with nothing much happening progress wise - I am getting slower at the moment! b) the joy of having your daughter swim with you. Given all the teams around here are competative (London ) I suspect mine (10 years) is likely to drop swimming when she gets to the vey top of the lessons she is in ....she is resistant to joining a swim team based on racing, and personally I can see why. Any tips on how to keep a good but not fast or competative junior swimmer going?
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Any tips on how to keep a good but not fast or competative junior swimmer going?

Any open water or distance swimming available? When I did that big (for me) swim a couple of weeks ago, a young lady of 12 was doing the 4 mile swim. She was about the distance and not the winning.

• AquaticQuests
    edited June 2015
    Options
    1188 meters in 25 minutes - pool closed on me yet again!
    Descent speed coming back - now to build up on the stamina
  • Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Did a very slow 1.6 miles. Elbow started to get a little uncomfortable so I stopped short of 2 miles. Next time I will do 1 mile. If everything feels fine, I might try another half-mile, but even if I feel fine after 1.5 miles, I will not push it beyond that. Determined not to let this become a chronic injury. Probably won't be able to do the 3-mile open water swim on July 12th, but we'll see how it goes.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    ~50 minutes backstroke pull buoy ...dinner didn't agree with me and cut my swim short ...tommorrow is a dry lander day ...going to try a zumba class
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    2700SCM
    55 minutes
    Masters

800 as 75 free swim 25 fly kick

8x50 kick on 60 (3 free 3 back 2 fly)

8x75 pull as 50 free 25 br

8X100IM 15s rest between

100 easy

Shoulder a little niggly in pull and fly but not as bad as expected after not a good day with it.

Good session!
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Great job guys! Especially Kida. No wetsuit?! Wow!

1900 yards. 51 minutes. All freestyle, 500 swim, 200 kick, 250 pull, 200 kick, 250 pull, 500 swim. I tried to really concentrate on stroke quality today but I found it going all to hell in the last 500 so I just relaxed a bit and worked on executing a better flip turn. I think it is time to add some yardage, too. Maybe another 200 on Friday.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Apologies if this post becomes a repeat (I've had a few 'post' a few hours late recently..odd)

Anyway 1k ish, 25 mins .

I'm getting right shoukder / arm pain - started off in shoukder/bicep but yesterday spread to all under arm and lower shoukder and quite a lot of the muscle is sore... So today's swimming will be pretty much kicking only..... Bother as it is my hour in the pool day.

I have been thinking back over what my swim teacher had been saying and I suspect I have not been getting enough right side body roll. So pulling too much from the arm and not enough from the muscles across the back. I never could feel the difference as I swim (tho can correct the roll) - any suggestions for what it 'feels like' if you have properly got the back muscles involved in the pull / correct angles?