AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    2.5 km 56 min
  • AquaticQuests
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    Did a very slow 1.6 miles. Elbow started to get a little uncomfortable so I stopped short of 2 miles. Next time I will do 1 mile. If everything feels fine, I might try another half-mile, but even if I feel fine after 1.5 miles, I will not push it beyond that. Determined not to let this become a chronic injury. Probably won't be able to do the 3-mile open water swim on July 12th, but we'll see how it goes.
    Today during my swim, I was thinking abit about elbow pain (not because it was bad - just thinking through possible causes), and wondered whether in my case, it could possibly be caused or aggravated, not so much by what I do during the swim, but more by my actions on reaching the end of each length.

You see, when I'm not doing flip turns, I've developed a bad habit of swimming into the wall with my hand stretched out but my palms flat and perpendicular so they absorb an impact as I "ram" into the wall! I think my elbow absorbs some of this as my hand is straight and not bent as I glide into and hit the wall.

Done repeatedly (up to 100 times per 2.5 km swim) I imagine this could be a problem. So I made the conscious effort today not to do that! Will see if that helps at all over time!
    ~50 minutes backstroke pull buoy ...dinner didn't agree with me and cut my swim short ...tommorrow is a dry lander day ...going to try a zumba class
    it's been a few weeks/ months since I did any dryland so good reminder!
    Great job guys! Especially Kida. No wetsuit?! Wow!

1900 yards. 51 minutes. All freestyle, 500 swim, 200 kick, 250 pull, 200 kick, 250 pull, 500 swim. I tried to really concentrate on stroke quality today but I found it going all to hell in the last 500 so I just relaxed a bit and worked on executing a better flip turn. I think it is time to add some yardage, too. Maybe another 200 on Friday.
    More yardage! Yay!
    Apologies if this post becomes a repeat (I've had a few 'post' a few hours late recently..odd)

Anyway 1k ish, 25 mins .

I'm getting right shoukder / arm pain - started off in shoukder/bicep but yesterday spread to all under arm and lower shoukder and quite a lot of the muscle is sore... So today's swimming will be pretty much kicking only..... Bother as it is my hour in the pool day.

I have been thinking back over what my swim teacher had been saying and I suspect I have not been getting enough right side body roll. So pulling too much from the arm and not enough from the muscles across the back. I never could feel the difference as I swim (tho can correct the roll) - any suggestions for what it 'feels like' if you have properly got the back muscles involved in the pull / correct angles?
    For me the rotator cuff exercises were a great help!
    Your decision to rest it was good too! A few years ago, I made the mistake of repeatedly battling through numerous IM sets even as my shoulders were killing me thinking that battling through the pain would toughen me up! Boy was I wrong!
    It wasn't until I got to the point where I couldn't lift up my hands straight while standing that I realised my approach wasn't working. That kept me out for many months!

• Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    2.5k open water in 75 minutes. I don't know how you early morning swimmers do it regularly - when I go swimming in the morning, I spend the whole day tired and hungry.
  • mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    2.5k open water in 75 minutes. I don't know how you early morning swimmers do it regularly - when I go swimming in the morning, I spend the whole day tired and hungry.

Well I don't swim open water but I generally eat twice in the morning on the days I do swim. When I get up at 5:20, I'll have 2 eggs, scrambled. This is the only breakfast I can swim on but I run out of steam without any breakfast at all. Then usually about an hour or so after I finish, I'll have a banana or an apple or something like that to help me get to lunch.

I don't spend the day tired because I find that swimming early gives me energy during the day but I will tell you that I am definitely ready for bed when bedtime comes around!
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options

I haven't done as many early swims of late ...but i'm tired and hungry all day every day regardless ...its what happens when you are trying to lose half your body weight ...

~35 closed fist front crawl, ~27 minutes back stroke ...4 sprint lengths, 2 at the end of each set. I have decided that when I do my sprints at the end of each drill I need to drop the drill and swim the full stroke. 'sprinting' with a kickboard or pull buoy just doesn't work well.

• Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Wearing my elbow brace, I did a slow two miles with a couple of laps of kickboarding thrown into the mix to convince myself that I was giving my elbow a rest. After the first mile, I was ready to stop at any point if there was any elbow pain but I was OK, just not very fast. Maybe I will be able to do the 3.1-mile (5k) open-water swim on the 12th,but I also asked about the possibility of switching to the 1.5-mile event.
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    45 mins of kicking, breastroke, dolphin - and 100m of slow, careful front crawl - very dull (and a bit frustrating as only one swimming lane open early eve, with 2 fastish lads in it...and there was me in 'resting my shoulder slow motion'). Distance wise - mmm, well it felt like I went nowhere.

Thanks for the excercise tip AQ. I googled and the first one stated off - 'overdoing the tennis, swimming, or decorating the ceiling....'. Mmmm well I don't do tennis but I have been decorating the kitchen ceiling.... Rats, only a third way through. I wonder how well doing it left handed is going to go!

Kida /Stephen - I only have energy to swim mornings (ok I HAVE to be in bed for atleast an hour early afternoon, so yes it makes me tired but I do that every day regardless of the pool!) but one of my goals for 2015 is being well enough to swim in the evening. Managing 6.30pm once a week now... So getting there. Funny how our bodies and body challenges / goals are all so different. Robertus - 1.5m with an elbow brace sounds easily enough to me! Glad pain is getting better...

• mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    2000 yards. About 48 minutes. All freestyle, 500 swim, 250 kick, 250 pull, 250 kick, 250 pull, 500 swim. I got up a bit later this morning as was going to be booted out by the kids swim team so I picked up the pace from Wednesday so I could get it all in.
  • AquaticQuests
    edited July 2015
    Options
    2.5 km 58 min
    Think I'm going to have to resume the sprint days again to build the speed back up! I'm yoyoing all over the place!
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    I guess after a short while the body gets used to it. It helps to eat something after the swim (breakfast in my case) without overdoing it!
    I haven't done as many early swims of late ...but i'm tired and hungry all day every day regardless ...its what happens when you are trying to lose half your body weight ...
    It's only for a season - hang in there! Once you reach maintenance, things ease off!

• panhandle8
    panhandle8 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Landed at my parents' house yesterday after a straight 17 hr drive. I am going to try to swim at the local pool during 'adult swim'.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    No swimming for 3 days. We took our daughters with us camping and we climbed Mt. St. Helens in Washington state. Thank goodness for all of my swimming! It was a huge challenge, but so rewarding. It took us 7.5 hours to summit and 5.5 to come down. Still sore, but good sore :)

gently, I put my daughter in the summer swim league. It's called "pre-competitive," in that they have meets, but it's really low key. I'm not sure what to do when summer ends. I could put her in the last lessons to work on stroke work (more focussed work on butterfly, breast, etc), or I could keep her in the Teen Lessons where she started out. That would mean she would work on whatever the instructor felt was most important/next step, or if she wanted to focus on something, they would do that. I'm really hopeful that she's caught the swimming bug. It has done her little body so much good (she's short but strong). And I LOVE having a buddy!
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    YES, finally. Doctor released me for only moderate swimming. I completed 1/2 mile @ 32 minutes
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    ~20 minutes kickboard breast stroke, ~23 minutes pull buoy front crawl, ~21 minutes closed fist back stroke, 6 sprint laps interspersed
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Bruce, AWESOME!!! I'll be that was a fantastic 32 min of swimming!! :)
    Stephen, you amaze me. I feel like a total wimp next to you. What grit... :heart:
  • Robertus
    Options
    Great news, Bruce!
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Awesome Bruce! Glad you got to get back in the water.

50 minutes (guessing) in Lake Ontario this morning. The course was apparently 500m, and I did it four times. 16c, but at least the air was nice (20c when we got out).
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks to all, I love the smell of chlorine in the morning, it smells like Victory. So far so good, no pain, I might push a little bit more (longer time), still easy stroke and multiple strokes. I had not swam since April.
  • Robertus
    Options
    Bruceapple wrote: »
    Thanks to all, I love the smell of chlorine in the morning, it smells like Victory. So far so good, no pain, I might push a little bit more (longer time), still easy stroke and multiple strokes. I had not swam since April.
    Bruce, didn't your doctor say, 'no more swimming', a while back? Did he change his mind? Or did he just mean no competitive/fast hard-core swimming?

• Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Good news, Bruce - welcome back!!!!