Did you swim today?

Options

Replies

• Robertus
    Robertus Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Half hour of open-water swimming in a very cold Adirondacks lake. Swam out to, around, and back from Peter Pan Island. I figure it was about 200 calories burned swimming and another 1,000 or so resisting hypothermia.
  • stephenrhinton
    stephenrhinton Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    ~50 minutes breast stroke, ~15 minutes pull buoy front crawl
  • gentlygently
    gentlygently Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Welcome back Bruce!!

(Suggest you listen to the doc and try a good week /10 days of really gentle swimming before very gradually increasing the pace/distance...your muscles will need easing in, and just cos day 1 goes fine, that doesn't mean by day 5 you won't be feeling it. Sorry to be dull, but I suseoct you are in a tortoise not hare wins the back to swimming race situation...maybe 10% increases each week?)

Not been swimming today - but taking it easy on the kitchen decorating, as pretty sure that is behind my shoulder pain. Still, the new colours look good....
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    I figure it was about 200 calories burned swimming and another 1,000 or so resisting hypothermia.

:lol: Giggle...
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    No swimming for 3 days. We took our daughters with us camping and we climbed Mt. St. Helens in Washington state. Thank goodness for all of my swimming! It was a huge challenge, but so rewarding. It took us 7.5 hours to summit and 5.5 to come down. Still sore, but good sore :)

gently, I put my daughter in the summer swim league. It's called "pre-competitive," in that they have meets, but it's really low key. I'm not sure what to do when summer ends. I could put her in the last lessons to work on stroke work (more focussed work on butterfly, breast, etc), or I could keep her in the Teen Lessons where she started out. That would mean she would work on whatever the instructor felt was most important/next step, or if she wanted to focus on something, they would do that. I'm really hopeful that she's caught the swimming bug. It has done her little body so much good (she's short but strong). And I LOVE having a buddy!

That was a lot of climbing. Wow!
    Great that they have a pre competitive category - that should help keep the interest up!
    Those lessons are great not just for now, but for decades to come as she hopefully continues or resumes swimming for general fitness and recreation in later years.
    Bruceapple wrote: »
    Thanks to all, I love the smell of chlorine in the morning, it smells like Victory. So far so good, no pain, I might push a little bit more (longer time), still easy stroke and multiple strokes. I had not swam since April.

Wow. Welcome back!
    I too thought we'd lost you for good after the diagnosis!

• mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Welcome back, Bruce. Good luck!

I swam 2000 yds in 54 minutes. Mixed freestyle sets with 6 - 50yd sprints in the middle. I have got to work on keeping a consistent fast pace. Those 50's were all over the place in times.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Yahoo! Got back from China Thursday night. Allowed myself a day of trip recovery. Only exercised my trigger finger on Friday.
    Saturday, Sunday and Today. 6000 yards each day. Chlorine addiction fed again :)
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all on the comments. I am to take it very easy, I do have "free bodies" in my shoulder joint.
    Doc said it up to me maybe 3 months or maybe 3 years, just take it easy.
    I agree with you gentlygently slow and easy. Today 1/2 mile @ 31 min.
  • stephenrhinton
    Options
    38 minutes backstroke pull buoy, 28 minutes breast stroke closed fist ..6 lengths sprint
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    20 minutes today at the lake. I was planning on more, but my 6.5 hour hike yesterday tired me out more than I thought.
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    2.508 km 53 min
    Welcome back to the pool Gutzy!
    Good job everyone!
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Welcome home, Gutzy - hopefully no more swimless trips....

Nice work, Folks - lots of great stuff posted!!!!

Back in today after no swimming last week, all freestyle workout: 250, 500, 1000, 1500, 1500, 1000, 500, 250 yards. Took a little time to shake the rust off, but not as much as I expected. In summer mode now, so Mondays & Fridays will be at the gym (different branch than my usual), Tuesdays & Thursdays will be at the community pool - it's a 19 yard pool so you will see some unusual yardages logged.....
  • Robertus
    Options
    2 miles moderate effort without stopping, wearing my brace. No elbow pain. I resisted the idea of doing 3 miles. Trying to be smart.
  • AquaticQuests
    Options
    2.5 km 57ish minutes
  • Bruceapple
    Bruceapple Posts: 2,026 Member
    Options
    Yes, swam 1/2 mile @ 35 min, slow and steady wins the race and has less pain.
  • Macstraw
    Options
    Good news Rob, & great job keeping the long term view in mind. It's very tough to resist the temptation when you're feeling good....
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    141 laps today. That is 10 yards over 4 miles. :)
  • Robertus
    Options
    Robertus wrote: »
    2 miles moderate effort without stopping, wearing my brace. No elbow pain. I resisted the idea of doing 3 miles. Trying to be smart.
    Later on last night and today my whole arm has been sore so the brace seems to be protecting the elbow but I suspect the shoulder issues are still causing problems. Maybe no more work-outs this week.
  • Macstraw
    Options
    WOW - great distance, Gutzy!!!!

1st day in the shorter pool (19 yards, so my distances are screwy), due to them getting set up late because the weather was off only got 30 minutes of actual swim time (about 40 minutes in the water): 190 free, 380 free, 6 x 152 I.M., 380 free....

Unfortunately I'm going to lose Thursday & Friday due to work....
  • stephenrhinton
    Options
    32 minutes front crawl, 17 minutes backstroke kickboard, 13 minutes breast stroke pull buoy