Let's discuss it all. Welcome home.

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    JW, that looks amazing as always.

Let me ask you ice cream makers a question. Since you make it yourself, do you even bother to try and figure out calories and macros or do you just accept it for what it is and just eat it. I would assume it would be almost impossible to get it right. I would think, make it, weigh out a serving (100g or so) and leave at least 300 calories to cover it.

Well, I just started but I weighed my whole batch and made it 10 servings. It only ended up being 68 grams per serving for 254 calories, so I don't know yet if that's going to seem tiny.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    JW, that looks amazing as always.

Let me ask you ice cream makers a question. Since you make it yourself, do you even bother to try and figure out calories and macros or do you just accept it for what it is and just eat it. I would assume it would be almost impossible to get it right. I would think, make it, weigh out a serving (100g or so) and leave at least 300 calories to cover it.

Well, I just started but I weighed my whole batch and made it 10 servings. It only ended up being 68 grams per serving for 254 calories, so I don't know yet if that's going to seem tiny.

When I'm making one that I have made before it's much easier, I weigh the batch divide it into serving sizes and call it a day.

Now yesterday's with both being new creations, base was different, ingredients and flavor I was going by taste alone, I was not precise at all. So I inflated all the ingredients by a bit to try and account for it. There's times when I log the recipe I add an extra cup of cream and figure that will cover any errors I made and usually if it makes 10 servings I log the recipe for 9. It's not perfect but has kept me pretty honest.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried Ben and Jerry's chocolate/hazelnut core? I forgot the exact name of it.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried Ben and Jerry's chocolate/hazelnut core? I forgot the exact name of it.

Hazed & Confused. Not bad, but not my favorite of the core flavors. Peanut Butter Fudge is the best of those IMO.

BTW, sorry for not posting yet!
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I found randomly at Target a very unexpectedly delicious ice cream:

12+mini+donut.jpg

At 150 cals a serving, how could I say no?
    I keep hearing so many great things about Target's ice creams. I meant to go the this past weekend but didn't have time.

I have got to try this.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Seriously bro, how many times am I going to tell you to stop using a potato for a camera.

not my pic...

bish
    Damn amateur.

BSnLkh2.jpg?1
    So, I picked this up because everyone was raving about it, but I'm really just not that much of a fan. There's a TON of glaze, but it's just sugar and doesn't have a ton of flavor. The doughnut pieces are interesting because they freeze up harder than everything else. I guess if I'm going to eat that much solid sugar, I'd prefer it in caramel form... :laugh:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Seriously bro, how many times am I going to tell you to stop using a potato for a camera.

not my pic...

bish
    Damn amateur.

BSnLkh2.jpg?1
    So, I picked this up because everyone was raving about it, but I'm really just not that much of a fan. There's a TON of glaze, but it's just sugar and doesn't have a ton of flavor. The doughnut pieces are interesting because they freeze up harder than everything else. I guess if I'm going to eat that much solid sugar, I'd prefer it in caramel form... :laugh:

I have a feeling it wouldn't be my cup of tea either-- I'm just not a huge coffee person and I like my donuts crunchy on the outside and warm and fluffy on the inside, so it didn't seem like it'd be a good fit.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I'll begin posting more :D
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Here's a few pics from yesterday's ice cream making.

Toasted coconut - I split this one in half, the one in the picture I mixed in more toasted coconut that one is for my husband, I prefer just the taste of the coconut and not the slivers it ruins the texture for me. But the flavor of this was perfect. Hubby gave me the ultimate compliment on it, said it was better than Talenti caribbean coconut.

igi93a.png

Now for the ice cream inspired by Ambers love of Smores & Rach's suggestion of making toasted marshmallow ice cream. Decided on the toasted marshmallow base, made a basic chocolate sauce that I mixed in with crumbled graham cracker and threw in some chunks of toasted marshmallows at the end. Only had a little of this last night it was still more a soft serve consistency but the flavor YUM!!

az9n61.png

I'll write up both recipes today or tomorrow

Oh my gosh! That looks amazing!!! Because of our discussion, I had to try Menchie's toasty marshmallow frozen yogurt over the weekend. It was free, how could I pass it up?! And it was really good, too. I think it's a new chain.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

not my pic...

bish
    Damn amateur.

BSnLkh2.jpg?1

Really?! My donuts weren't hard. The ones that came in Steve's NOLA coffee and donuts ice cream were like stale tasteless donuts, but the Sam's Choice were good. Maybe you got a bad batch? I'll have to buy it again and see if it's the same as the first one I got.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Here's a few pics from yesterday's ice cream making.

Toasted coconut - I split this one in half, the one in the picture I mixed in more toasted coconut that one is for my husband, I prefer just the taste of the coconut and not the slivers it ruins the texture for me. But the flavor of this was perfect. Hubby gave me the ultimate compliment on it, said it was better than Talenti caribbean coconut.

igi93a.png

Now for the ice cream inspired by Ambers love of Smores & Rach's suggestion of making toasted marshmallow ice cream. Decided on the toasted marshmallow base, made a basic chocolate sauce that I mixed in with crumbled graham cracker and threw in some chunks of toasted marshmallows at the end. Only had a little of this last night it was still more a soft serve consistency but the flavor YUM!!

az9n61.png

I'll write up both recipes today or tomorrow

Jen you have outdone yourself....
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    At the local Sprouts store here in SoCal. I knew I'd eat the whole thing of whatever I bought. I need to burn more so I can eat more. How do you guys keep from eating a whole pint?!!
    Maybe I could take my serving and give the rest to my neighbor...

I never really know how to answer this-- I prelog all my food. Hitting fat and protein goals are important. Then I try to get in at least a couple of servings of veggies, preferably more. Then I weigh out my one serving of ice cream/gelato and enjoy it.

If I want more I go for a walk.

But really, it's just that my fitness and aesthetics goals mean more to me than having another serving.

Thanks! I am working on this. It's something entirely new to me. I appreciate your input--it shows me a goal I need to aspire to.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options

Oh my gosh! That looks amazing!!! Because of our discussion, I had to try Menchie's toasty marshmallow frozen yogurt over the weekend. It was free, how could I pass it up?! And it was really good, too. I think it's a new chain.

Toasted marshmallow, free and tasted good sounds like a definite win. I think I saw that chain on an episode of undercover boss. The closest one is about 45 minutes away, I don't like frozen yogurt enough to drive that far
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    At the local Sprouts store here in SoCal. I knew I'd eat the whole thing of whatever I bought. I need to burn more so I can eat more. How do you guys keep from eating a whole pint?!!

I never really know how to answer this-- I prelog all my food. Hitting fat and protein goals are important. Then I try to get in at least a couple of servings of veggies, preferably more. Then I weigh out my one serving of ice cream/gelato and enjoy it.

But really, it's just that my fitness and aesthetics goals mean more to me than having another serving.

Thanks! I am working on this. It's something entirely new to me. I appreciate your input--it shows me a goal I need to aspire to.

I feel like it's not very helpful at all.

I do believe that willpower is like a muscle. It has to be worked in order to progress. But it can be helpful to start with little things. Like maybe at first you just buy the single serving ice creams so you can eat the whole thing. Then maybe you buy a pint and split it with someone, and then progress from there. Just realize that it takes work and it may not always be perfect. But it's a skill worth perfecting imo.

Maybe some others will have more tips for you. :flowerforyou:
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options

I do believe that willpower is like a muscle. It has to be worked in order to progress. But it can be helpful to start with little things. Like maybe at first you just buy the single serving ice creams so you can eat the whole thing. Then maybe you buy a pint and split it with someone, and then progress from there. Just realize that it takes work and it may not always be perfect. But it's a skill worth perfecting imo.

It's a difficult question to answer. Willpower and learning portion control didn't happen overnight, and there are still times if I don't portion out my serving I'll eat the whole pint.

So same tips from me, plan for it, log it all and don't eat right out of the container cause then I eat it all.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

It's a difficult question to answer. Willpower and learning portion control didn't happen overnight, and there are still times if I don't portion out my serving I'll eat the whole pint.

So same tips from me, plan for it, log it all and don't eat right out of the container cause then I eat it all.

Same here. It took a lot of practice. I pre-log my food. I know pretty much every morning I'm having ice cream, but the amount I eat depends on everything else I'm having for the day. Once I have my diary filled in and hit my protein goal, I can increase or decrease the amount from there.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    My chocolate malt flavor is good, but I think I need to try freezing it in smaller batches. It says it can take 4 cups, but it never froze past the milkshake stage. So I put it in the freezer to firm up the rest of the way and it ended up a little too icy for my taste. I think next time I'll try doing 2 cups at a time to see if that's better.
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Graeter's Black Raspberry Chip for dessert tonight....came in 1 calorie under goal for the day.

I tried Talenti's version and it doesn't compare.