Let's discuss it all. Welcome home.

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    There's a local place here that has amazing cheap ice cream by the pint... but I never go, because there's no nutrition info. It makes me sad.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Quick trip to Walgreens last week turned up this little pint of goodness... turns out my husband has eaten almost the entire pint and I only got a taste last night, but I really liked it. Not much marshmallow flavor, but definitely liked the dark chocolate chunks and graham cracker swirl...

55261d29-3098-427e-a2a4-28137335573e_zps368107fa.jpg

0671d428-8be5-4115-9af3-4de826b00e5d_zps21777cc7.jpg
    I was looking at these De lish ice creams on Monday but have never met anyone that tried them. I guess I just might.

A couple years ago we were watching Celebrity Apprentice and one of the final challenges was to create a new flavor of Delish ice cream for Walgreens. Penn Gillette created something called Chocolate Swirtle, which was really good, it had chocolate covered caramel turtle pieces in it (I think). I was looking for it the other night and stumbled on this S'Mores flavor to try.

Looking at the available Delish flavors on the Walgreen's website, it doesn't look like they have the Chocolate Swirtle anymore, but I am intrigued by Salted Caramel Butter Pecan.... or Caramel Overload, that might be good for MrM and Acrylics to review since you are our Caramel Connoisseurs...

http://www.walgreens.com/q/delish-ice-cream
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I got Haagen-Dasz's Limited Edition Midnight Cookies and cream the other day... it was sooooo good. I went to have it again last night only to find hubby had eaten the rest of it! :explode: So I settled for Turkey Hill's Strawberries n cream.

So tonight I have a choice of Talenti's Fudge Brownie, or Caffe Gelato's Dark Chocolate Chocolate Chip (this is a local gelato place who recently started selling pints at Shoprite). Unfortunately the Caffe Gelato has no nutritional information since it's just a local thing. I emailed them, but haven't gotten a response and I don't expect one since it's been 4 days, lol.

I'm thinking of just logging the Talenti for calories and then eating the Caffe Gelato. It can't be too terribly off for calories.

You need to fire your husband. :wink: I would write to the gelato people again. Maybe your e-mail got buried. That said, I wrote to WonderMade marshmallow people twice, the guy promised he'd get back to me right away, and that was months ago.

ETA I included a link to this group post in my e-mail to Gelato Fiasco, and told them it's all MrM27's fault! :bigsmile:

I know, the nerve of him! And then he has the audacity to complain that I buy too much ice cream. Well, I wouldn't have to keep buying ice cream if he didn't eat it all in one sitting! Maybe he can't stop at 1-2 servings but I can! lol. He should know better anyway since I'm pregnant. You don't mess with a pregnant lady's ice cream. You just don't!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Today was a visit to Rita's for a Blendini - Mint Oreo Ice, chocolate custard and mint oreos mixed in No pictures this time
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I got Haagen-Dasz's Limited Edition Midnight Cookies and cream the other day... it was sooooo good. I went to have it again last night only to find hubby had eaten the rest of it! :explode: So I settled for Turkey Hill's Strawberries n cream.

So tonight I have a choice of Talenti's Fudge Brownie, or Caffe Gelato's Dark Chocolate Chocolate Chip (this is a local gelato place who recently started selling pints at Shoprite). Unfortunately the Caffe Gelato has no nutritional information since it's just a local thing. I emailed them, but haven't gotten a response and I don't expect one since it's been 4 days, lol.

I'm thinking of just logging the Talenti for calories and then eating the Caffe Gelato. It can't be too terribly off for calories.

You need to fire your husband. :wink: I would write to the gelato people again. Maybe your e-mail got buried. That said, I wrote to WonderMade marshmallow people twice, the guy promised he'd get back to me right away, and that was months ago.

ETA I included a link to this group post in my e-mail to Gelato Fiasco, and told them it's all MrM27's fault! :bigsmile:

I know, the nerve of him! And then he has the audacity to complain that I buy too much ice cream. Well, I wouldn't have to keep buying ice cream if he didn't eat it all in one sitting! Maybe he can't stop at 1-2 servings but I can! lol. He should know better anyway since I'm pregnant. You don't mess with a pregnant lady's ice cream. You just don't!

Exactly! I think the general public learned not to mess with me when I was pregnant. :laugh: I wish my kids would help me eat more of the ice cream. They don't always like the flavors I get.
  • fullersun35
    fullersun35 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I finally made it to Target and checked out their Jeni's selection will I was there. They only had four flavors: Brown Butter Almond Brittle, Whiskey and Pecans, Vanilla Bean and Salty Caramel. Price was 9.99 per pint. Once I get through some of what is in my freezer, I'll be back to try them all.
  • WinoGelato
    Options
    We made a trip to Target to get supplies for our upcoming road trip/vacation and I picked up a couple of different flavors of ice cream/gelato. I tried the Market Pantry Sea Salt Caramel Pretzel, which I had had before and really enjoyed, but that was probably a year or more ago before I was part of this elite group of ice cream fanatics... anyway, I don't know if I am just spoiled by Talenti and other types of Gelato, or if I had a bad batch, or if I was just off - but it tasted really, meh. The base was so light it was almost like eating cool whip. There were very few mix ins also. I had about a half serving of that with the remainder of my Talenti Sea Salt Caramel and there was just no comparison... Even though I had less than a half serving of the Talenti left - it was chock full of the little truffles - every bite had one!

So I don't know if I need to try the Market Pantry again for other flavors, or give it another go...

I did also get some Talenti Caramel Cookie Crunch which I'm super excited to try!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    fullersun I'm jealous of the brown butter flavor. I'm the queen of brown butter baking but our local place doesn't have that flavor of Jeni's. I still haven't decided if I'm willing to spend $10 a pint on it again either. It was really good though so maybe I will.

Kruggeri-- I'm spoiled now. Rotten, even. It's sad-- I used to be perfectly happy with my Edy's slow churned cookies n creme. I tried it the other day and it just seemed so flavorless. :frown: Thankfully I still enjoy some of the Edy's for when I want a little more volume. But not that one.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    We made a trip to Target to get supplies for our upcoming road trip/vacation and I picked up a couple of different flavors of ice cream/gelato. I tried the Market Pantry Sea Salt Caramel Pretzel, which I had had before and really enjoyed, but that was probably a year or more ago before I was part of this elite group of ice cream fanatics... anyway, I don't know if I am just spoiled by Talenti and other types of Gelato, or if I had a bad batch, or if I was just off - but it tasted really, meh. The base was so light it was almost like eating cool whip. There were very few mix ins also. I had about a half serving of that with the remainder of my Talenti Sea Salt Caramel and there was just no comparison... Even though I had less than a half serving of the Talenti left - it was chock full of the little truffles - every bite had one!

So I don't know if I need to try the Market Pantry again for other flavors, or give it another go...

I did also get some Talenti Caramel Cookie Crunch which I'm super excited to try!

How were the pretzels in your Market Pantry sea salt caramel pretzel? I never got that one again. It tasted ok, but I didn't like how the pretzel pieces were soft.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

I want to try this, someone posted a thread in here about it... and yes coffee / gelato together would be heaven for me. So it will be happening soon!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Up tonight: Haagen Dazs Bourbon Pecan Praline

5dc7aab9-cf92-43c5-a37b-182e4cdca474_zps5768ede9.jpg

Two notes before I start-- bourbon used to be my drink of choice. I always drank it straight, so I like the flavor. Second, I generally don't like foods that try to mix two very dissimilar things. Like I didn't love the Reese's s'mores. Because I like s'mores, and I like Reese's, but they're two separate things for me and I like to keep them separate. So I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about this flavor.

All that said, I really liked it. The bourbon flavor is subtle but it's definitely present. I thought it was a perfect amount-- enough to taste it without being overpowering. I just had the pralines and cream and I don't think I liked this one quite as much as that one, because even though they're very similar this one didn't have quite the same mix of textures. But it was still very good and if you're a bourbon lover it's definitely worth a shot.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

How were the pretzels in your Market Pantry sea salt caramel pretzel? I never got that one again. It tasted ok, but I didn't like how the pretzel pieces were soft.

I didn't have enough pretzels to even notice the texture! I was so disappointed. You people have turned me into an ice cream snob! And I love you for it!!!
  • WinoGelato
    Options

I want to try this, someone posted a thread in here about it... and yes coffee / gelato together would be heaven for me. So it will be happening soon!

I saw an episode of Giada one time and she served Affogato with Amaretti cookies crumbled over it, which also looked amazing. Like an Amaretto Biscotti if I remember right...
  • WinoGelato
    Options

Two notes before I start-- bourbon used to be my drink of choice. I always drank it straight, so I like the flavor. Second, I generally don't like foods that try to mix two very dissimilar things. Like I didn't love the Reese's s'mores. Because I like s'mores, and I like Reese's, but they're two separate things for me and I like to keep them separate. So I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about this flavor.

All that said, I really liked it. The bourbon flavor is subtle but it's definitely present. I thought it was a perfect amount-- enough to taste it without being overpowering. I just had the pralines and cream and I don't think I liked this one quite as much as that one, because even though they're very similar this one didn't have quite the same mix of textures. But it was still very good and if you're a bourbon lover it's definitely worth a shot.

Interesting observation but I don't think those are dissimilar things (bourbon and pecan praline). Like Bourbon Bread Pudding... similar flavors. Will definitely check this out, I loves me some boozy desserts.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Speaking of alcohol, my grocery store has some wine ice cream. It sounds... interesting. But I don't like wine enough to try it :laugh:

I still need to try that Market Pantry ice cream, but it seems the reviews I've seen are mixed. Got to finish what I have first anyway (I tried Breyer's raspberry cheesecake gelato and like it as well - will try the tiramisu one next).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Interesting observation but I don't think those are dissimilar things (bourbon and pecan praline). Like Bourbon Bread Pudding... similar flavors. Will definitely check this out, I loves me some boozy desserts.

No, I meant alcohol and ice cream.

I don't know how else to explain it but if I consider two foods to be in separate categories I usually don't like them mixed.
  • WinoGelato
    Options

No, I meant alcohol and ice cream.

I don't know how else to explain it but if I consider two foods to be in separate categories I usually don't like them mixed.

Gotcha!