August workout check-in thread - August one more rep!

Options

Replies

• bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago someone recommended progressions when I wondered if I would ever be able to perform the super-awesome exercises some of the women here perform. I would think that the same logic applies to you integrating squats, while minding your shoulder. Start with bodyweight--aim for 5x5, and maybe scale back on the leg press sets, like do 4x5. Eventually you will be able to add to your squats, whether it be higher reps of bodyweight, resistance bands, weights in the form of dumbbells, goblet, or front. At that point, you may be able to and eliminate the leg press. You need to do what is the right fit for you. But, if you are going to follow a program that calls for squats, you really should be squatting in some form.

Let us know what you decide and how it is going.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago someone recommended progressions when I wondered if I would ever be able to perform the super-awesome exercises some of the women here perform. I would think that the same logic applies to you integrating squats, while minding your shoulder. Start with bodyweight--aim for 5x5, and maybe scale back on the leg press sets, like do 4x5. Eventually you will be able to add to your squats, whether it be higher reps of bodyweight, resistance bands, weights in the form of dumbbells, goblet, or front. At that point, you may be able to and eliminate the leg press. You need to do what is the right fit for you. But, if you are going to follow a program that calls for squats, you really should be squatting in some form.

Let us know what you decide and how it is going.

I agree completely with this. Use the leg press while you work on squats, don't just eliminate them. There are many different variations to squats, so you should be able to find something that works for you.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Thanks for the input - you've confirmed what I've been thinking. I'll add them in at body weight and go from there.

C.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Workout B today.

I don't what it is about squats that is making me dread them. They take so long with the warmup.

Squats - warmup + 5x5x100 - Yay triple digits!
    OHP - warmup + 1x3x60 (my head was totally not in this rep!), 5x5x60. I think I'll stick at this weight and just increase the reps next time. I wanted to go to 65, but that wasn't going to happen today.
    DL - 1x10x115

I hope to start back with C25K next week, as I think my toe is finally good to go.
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hubby is now sick with the sore throat, we all know what that means. He is way sicker than i was. :grumble:

The dreaded man cold :bigsmile:
    !
    Ohhhh man, he's not even my husband but I can already hear the whining, "But, but, but, I'm siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick!" :laugh: :wink:

Hee hee hee, I'm still laughing...wimps! :laugh:

Got workout B done the other night. Last workout before going out of town for a couple of weeks. Nothing too exciting to report but wanted to get my last month of August check-in on the record!

squats: 3x5 at 140 pounds
    OHP: 3,4,4 at 82.5 pounds
    DL: 1x5 at 180 pounds

Headed to the Virgin Islands for work. The first hotel I'm staying at in St. Croix has a fitness center with at least some dumbbells in it, as well as the required evil cardio machines. My workout clothes are packed and I fully intend to put them to some use instead of leaving them in my suitcase. The second week on St. Thomas there will be no gym, so I'll try to get some body weight stuff done in my room or something. But I'll be swimming for hours every day, so I'll at least be doing something!

Have a great couple of weeks everybody!!!
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Headed to the Virgin Islands for work. The first hotel I'm staying at in St. Croix has a fitness center with at least some dumbbells in it, as well as the required evil cardio machines. My workout clothes are packed and I fully intend to put them to some use instead of leaving them in my suitcase. The second week on St. Thomas there will be no gym, so I'll try to get some body weight stuff done in my room or something. But I'll be swimming for hours every day, so I'll at least be doing something!

Have a great couple of weeks everybody!!!

I'm trying not to be jealous, but yeah, totally not working, LOL. Enjoy your time there, and I hope that work doesn't consume too much of it. :drinker:
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    gmyeh. i went into the gym today and it was ridiculously packed. would have taken me two hours of hanging around just to get a turn at the rack. not reasonable.

i did my stretching and a few bodyweight/dumbbell things, but my heart just wasn't in it. not sure of my plan atm, but i may take a week or so off from lifting and either do nothing or go back to just being ms bike for a while. i miss that.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    sigh. were we talking about weird accidents? i just picked up a croissant with marzipan filling straight from the oven, and got burned by a stray blob of it that leaked out and got stuck to my skin. blisters across the bottom of the first two fingers right where you wrap your hand round the bar, and also all over the tip of that thumb. ow.

the croissants are good though. i'll admit that.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    @canadianlbs - it's a shame when delicious foods fight you like that! lol Aloe gel should help.

Started Week 3 of this Wendler's cycle (the heavy week) this morning!

Squats
    Warm up + 135x5, 155x3, 175x5
    Just for giggles, I decided to try 185 (my body weight) and got 1 rep! I think I could have done a max of 3, but I was shooting for just the one and was so excited that I re-racked my bar then shouted obscenities at it. :laugh:

Assisted pull-ups 3x8

Then, since I was still jacked up on pre-workout (hell, I still *AM* jacked up on pre-workout as I type this hehehe), I scrubbed the f outta my kitchen and bathroom. Yaaaaaaaaaay!
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    Then, since I was still jacked up on pre-workout (hell, I still *AM* jacked up on pre-workout as I type this hehehe), I scrubbed the f outta my kitchen and bathroom. Yaaaaaaaaaay!

"Nice muscles. What can you do with them?" :tongue:
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    Options

You can come over to my place :bigsmile:
    Btw nice numbers!

Hubs is OMG dying. :laugh: he keeps complaining, idk if he wants me to be sympathetic or what but he didn't give a crap when I had it last weekend.

B day today
    Squat 115 5x5 90 second rest, felt good but will take upping the weights a little slower this time around.
    OHP 50 5x5 shoulder was having a hard time on the 4th set so I rested 2 mins on that set but the rest were 90 seconds. Will see how the shoulder is when it close to B day again. I did notice that I don't use all the muscles around it to move it so it feels better over all now.
    DL 140 felt good here will go up 5 next time.

Ahhhh new week for SC. Holy am I wiped out.
    Dead lift started at 115 x8 but lowered it to 95 2x8
    Bulgarian split squats there again started at 20 x12 but decided to do body weight for the other 2 sets of 12
    Hip thrust constant pressure. 3x20 I screamed when I was done. Ouch!
    I made a mistake and did 15 hip raises instead of what I was suppose to do. To tired to think haha

Ended with 2x10 assisted pull-ups. Was to dead to do the 3rd set.
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Hubs is OMG dying. :laugh: he keeps complaining, idk if he wants me to be sympathetic or what but he didn't give a crap when I had it last weekend.

B day today
    Squat 115 5x5 90 second rest, felt good but will take upping the weights a little slower this time around.
    OHP 50 5x5 shoulder was having a hard time on the 4th set so I rested 2 mins on that set but the rest were 90 seconds. Will see how the shoulder is when it close to B day again. I did notice that I don't use all the muscles around it to move it so it feels better over all now.
    DL 140 felt good here will go up 5 next time.

Ahhhh new week for SC. Holy am I wiped out.
    Dead lift started at 115 x8 but lowered it to 95 2x8
    Bulgarian split squats there again started at 20 x12 but decided to do body weight for the other 2 sets of 12
    Hip thrust constant pressure. 3x20 I screamed when I was done. Ouch!
    I made a mistake and did 15 hip raises instead of what I was suppose to do. To tired to think haha

Ended with 2x10 assisted pull-ups. Was to dead to do the 3rd set.

Yeah-men are complete candy apples when it comes to sickness. My hubby has been carrying on all day about his "severe ragweed allergies" and how terrible he feels :laugh:

Great workout. I may try to see if the library has the strong curves book. I'm not ready to add in anything extra just yet, but someday...

Workout B today:
    Squat 110 lbs 5x5--sweating buckets from this
    OHP 65 lbs 5x5- had to fight. For. Every. Single. Rep. No way 70 is happening on Thursday. Will stay here again-maybe try adding extra reps on last set? I am getting fractionals after next week.
    DL- 135 lbs 5x1- been doing conventional, but am wondering does anyone do sumo? What do you feel the difference is?

Hope everyone enjoys the remainder of Sunday.
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    Options

Yeah-men are complete candy apples when it comes to sickness. My hubby has been carrying on all day about his "severe ragweed allergies" and how terrible he feels :laugh:

Tell him to drink more water. My allergies flare up when I don't drink enough. My eyes have been itchy the last few days again so I'm downing it for that and hopefully help with DOMS tomorrow.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options

Tell him to drink more water. My allergies flare up when I don't drink enough. My eyes have been itchy the last few days again so I'm downing it for that and hopefully help with DOMS tomorrow.

I'm the same way re: allergies and water. I can totally tell when I've been slacking.

531 Squat
    45x10, 95x5, 145x5, 195x5, 220x3, 250x5

Paused
    195 531

Superset x3
    Walking lungesx25
    Ab wheel x15

Prowler sprintsx10
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Workout B today (day #6)
    Squats - Racks were all full this morning. I am seeing a trend that Monday AM is the busiest time.

Instead I did...Squats
    BW + 2 ea 5lb plates x 10, BW + 2ea 10lb plates x 10, BW + 25lb plate x 10
    Lunges = 40 x BW + 10lb plate

OHP - I stuck to just the bar today, should have increased to 55lbs today, but my form is struggling so I want that better before I increase weight and injure myself.

DL - 1x5 @ 115lbs

Then I added @ 30lbs x 10 ea, upright row, bicep curl and overhead press
    + 10 min on elliptical.
  • Gen2703
    Gen2703 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies!

Workout B today!
    Goblet squats 5x8
    OHP 5x5 @50lbs
    Deadlift warmup + 1x5 @95

Felt pretty good!!! :)
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Workout A (Mon)

squats 5 X 5 - 190

Bench press - 5 x 5 - 100

deadlifts 5 X 1 - 165

Dumbbell Skis - 5 x 25 - 40

Dumbbell sidebends - 5 x 25 - 40

Reverse curls - 5 x 5 - 100

Overhand bicep curls - 5 x 5 - 140

flys 5 x 10 - 40
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    quick check in...again sorry ladies it's been a whirl wind lately for me...esp with the husband working out with me

Did workout B on Saturday as he worked Friday night...

Reduced weights again (he is newish)

Squats 3x5 @ 135
    OHP 3x5@80lbs
    DL 1x5@170...

3 more SL workouts for me then a week off and onto Wendlers...I think I have him convinced..if not might be doing something a bit different as our starting weights are pretty different...teehee mine are higher.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Workout A (Mon)

squats 5 X 5 - 190

Bench press - 5 x 5 - 100

deadlifts 5 X 1 - 165

@Perserverance --

You. Are. Rad!

Can't wait to get there!
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Lifted last night, was great! After my rest week, I de-loaded and have been going back up and really focusing on my form - I feel so much better and stronger!

Squat 5 x 5 @ 126lbs
    Bench 5x5 @66lbs
    Row 5x5 @77lbs