Starting OMAD? Introduce Yourself Here!

Options

Replies

• jvcinv
    jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Welcome newcomers, looking forward to hearing how you progress with OMAD.
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Welcome, all!!
  • moniqueystroud
    moniqueystroud Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    ...your name: Monique
    ...your weight: 250 lbs
    ...your height: 5'11
    ...any past struggles you've faced or are facing:
    Overeating, finding too much comfort in food. Operating a home bakery where I have to taste test new items and taste test regular menu items for quality control. Since I bake at night, that's where I'll work to keep my window. But MUST make sure I don't over do the taste testing!
    ...your goal weight range: honestly I'd be happy 200-214; 175-190 would probably be better though.
    ...the time of your OMAD: 630-1030
    ...and your OMAD start date: May 16th 2017
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Hi, Monique...

Welcome!
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Woohoo - another tall one! Same height as I am, if I'm honest. That's the height my dr now measures - although I spent most of my life as a 6-footer, and tell everyone that's where I stand. (Dr says I've shrunk with age. Fooey I say.) I started just under 250 (237), and now am in the upper 180's. I would agree with your 175-190 goal. Welcome!
  • Yael452
    Yael452 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    ...your name or preferred username: Yael (not real name)
    ...your weight: 161.1
    ...your height: 5'3"
    Wow, where to start. I'll try to keep it simple.
    I was never "overweight" as a child, always healthy or skinny. I was a late bloomer and I hit puberty around the same time that my family and I moved to the UK from South Africa. The perfect storm.
    I gained weight through puberty, not excessively, but enough to send my self-esteem into a downward spiral. I started running in 2008 to soothe homesickness, loneliness, and also to try and lose weight (I was 16). Over three years I got down to my ideal weight (but if I'm honest, I was never happy, I always thought I had weight to lose). I actually became a great runner, placed in races - won a title or two. All amazing considering I definitely did not have the typical "runner body". At 5'3 I weighed between 115-120 lbs, but I had a lot of muscle too. In 2012 I got a severe degenerative injury (Planter Fasciitis) and was put out of the sport for almost two years. I fell into a sort of depression and gained 40lbs over a very short period of time.
    Fast forward to today, and I have tried to lose the weight in a myriad of ways (too much running, inaccurately counting calories, low carb, keto etc. ) but I've always believed that there must be a simpler way of doing things. I had experimented with fasting in the past, or "OMAD-ing" back when I was a fit, lean runner, and I always seemed to return to some kind of fast-eat-fast pattern because it made me feel good and in control.
    I can run now, and currently I run about 30 miles a week, but I've come to realise that it is my eating patterns and calories that really influence my weight. I can maintain my weight with running, but I don't seem to be able to lose with running alone - my body is too efficient at running I suppose.

So now I'm here. I've been lurking for awhile not sure if I should make myself accountable or not in some way, but I've decided that I've got nothing to lose!

...your goal weight range: My old weight, 115-120lbs - if I could get to 110 I'd be over the moon.
    ...the time of your OMAD: It will vary somewhat , but ideally between 5:30 PM and 8:30PM
    ...and your OMAD start date: Yesterday, I fasted til 5:30PM and finished at 7:30 PM.
    Overnight I lost 1.7lbs - but I don't expect that to continue at that rate.

I should probably add that I'm twenty-four years of age.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @Yael452 Welcome :)
  • Yael452
    Options
    @Yael452 Welcome :)

Thank you!
    I've read your entire personal thread - it's extremely inspiring! Well done on your losses!
  • arguablysamson
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Yael452 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was never "overweight" as a child, always healthy or skinny. I was a late bloomer and I hit puberty around the same time that my family and I moved to the UK from South Africa. The perfect storm.
    I gained weight through puberty, not excessively, but enough to send my self-esteem into a downward spiral. I started running in 2008 to soothe homesickness, loneliness, and also to try and lose weight (I was 16). Over three years I got down to my ideal weight (but if I'm honest, I was never happy, I always thought I had weight to lose). I actually became a great runner, placed in races - won a title or two. All amazing considering I definitely did not have the typical "runner body". At 5'3 I weighed between 115-120 lbs, but I had a lot of muscle too. In 2012 I got a severe degenerative injury (Planter Fasciitis) and was put out of the sport for almost two years. I fell into a sort of depression and gained 40lbs over a very short period of time.
    Fast forward to today, and I have tried to lose the weight in a myriad of ways (too much running, inaccurately counting calories, low carb, keto etc. ) but I've always believed that there must be a simpler way of doing things. I had experimented with fasting in the past, or "OMAD-ing" back when I was a fit, lean runner, and I always seemed to return to some kind of fast-eat-fast pattern because it made me feel good and in control.
    I can run now, and currently I run about 30 miles a week, but I've come to realise that it is my eating patterns and calories that really influence my weight. I can maintain my weight with running, but I don't seem to be able to lose with running alone - my body is too efficient at running I suppose.

So now I'm here. I've been lurking for awhile not sure if I should make myself accountable or not in some way, but I've decided that I've got nothing to lose!

...your goal weight range: My old weight, 115-120lbs - if I could get to 110 I'd be over the moon.
    ...the time of your OMAD: It will vary somewhat , but ideally between 5:30 PM and 8:30PM
    ...and your OMAD start date: Yesterday, I fasted til 5:30PM and finished at 7:30 PM.

Hi, and welcome!

I, too, have had degenerative plantar fasciitis and even had to have my left foot worked on surgically. Lots of conditions like that can make life unlivable. Remember that every pound you drop creates MUCH less shock on your joints and tissues.
  • Yael452
    Options
    Yael452 wrote: »
    Hi,

Hi, and welcome!

I, too, have had degenerative plantar fasciitis and even had to have my left foot worked on surgically. Lots of conditions like that can make life unlivable. Remember that every pound you drop creates MUCH less shock on your joints and tissues.

Indeed! That's another motivating factor for me. A lot of my running friends are trying to get me back into races, but I simply don't see the point in trying to push my (heavier) body to race right now; I'd much rather start racing once I'm back in a healthy weight range. I run very gently right now, and am hyper-aware of the extra weight I'm carrying.
    I look forward to being light again.

Thanks for starting this group, your experience and wisdom is a real gift!
  • wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Welcome each and every one of you! OMAD has become my lifestyle, even if I didn't lose weight (I am losing) the overall health benefits have been so great that I would never go back to any other way.
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hi all,

Name: Sarah
    Current weight: CW: 88.8 kg / 195.4 lbs
    Height: 5'6"
    Past struggles you've faced or are facing:
    • Clearly I eat too much!
    • Injured my leg/hip a few years ago while running which has really made my exercise suffer.
    • Totally burnt out on the gym as up until a few years ago I'd been going pretty much consistently since I was about 10 years old (competitive swimmer when I was a kid).
    • Swimming is my preferred method of exercise but I can't find a pool that is close that isn't:
      1. gross
      2. outdoors in full sun.
    • Up until a year ago I was swimming, in the lovely 50m outdoor pool, 2500m on 5 or 6 days a week - I quickly stopped that when my partner mentioned that my skin looked like it was aging really quickly and I realized that the constant Australian sun on my body was doing me no favors (this is with putting massive amounts of sunscreen on, before and between sets)
    • Since stopping exercise other than walking, I've gained close to 15 kg/33 lbs and I was overweight even before the weight gain!
    • I miss swimming SO MUCH!
    • I work from home which means the fridge is always there!
    Goal weight range: Would be ok with 73 kg / 160 lbs but my body is most happy when it is around 68 kg / 150 lbs
    Time of your OMAD: around 6-8pm
    OMAD start date: 23 May 2017 (this time)
    Weight lost so far: 1.9 kg / 4.2 lbs

I've been doing some form of IF (Leangains, ESE, etc.) for years - this is a way of eating that has always worked for me and worked for the large amount of exercise I do (did). I was doing OMAD sometime about a year ago to try and get my weight down - can't remember exactly why I stopped and started the eating free-for-all!!

Anyway, will probably start a separate accountability thread and go from there!

Everybody's results look encouraging and I need all the motivation I can get... :)

Sarah
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Welcome, Sarah!
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • alimk43
    alimk43 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

My name is Ali from England – I’m 48 and I’ve been intermittently fasting for the last couple of weeks and recently came across this group. I’m easing myself into OMAD with the hope I’ll complete my first one today. I’m completely inspired by all of your progress and fasting ability and see how much sense it makes. I feel so much better as a result of only eating in a 6 hour window but progress isn’t quite what I’d like so would like to intersperse this with OMAD. (Not sure if I can do this every day but we’ll see). I’m currently 200lb – would like to be 140 so a way to go. Most of my excess has come from evening snacking and wine! I’m finding my cravings are certainly less (if disappeared on some days) eating the way I’m eating now which gives me hope that I can sustain this.

Anyway –hope you all have a good day
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Hi, Ali. Welcome!
  • Brenda703
    Brenda703 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Brenda and I'm Brenda703 on My fitness pal and I weight 248 pounds. I'm 5 feet 6 1\2 and I have been on a roller coaster ride with my weight for about 15 years. My goal weight is 145 pounds so I have about 100 pounds to lose. I eat my one meal a day at 6pm because I work all day and don't want to carry all that food with me. Plus I get sleepy after I eat and don't want to be sleepy and tired at work. I am RESTARTING OMAD ON MAY 31st 2017. I have been on every DIET that you could think of and I would lose weight but the weight would just come back on and it was very discouraging. I have also tried one meal a day but I lost patience with myself and quit so I am back on the journey again and I know it woukd work out for me and I have faith this time that I can actually stick with it. I also tried the alternate-day fasting but I would get so hungry on My fasting days that I would quit so that did not work for me. I tried various intermittent fasting programs where I would eat during a certain time rather it be a four hour eating window or an 8 Hour eating window but I would over eat during those open windows. So here I am again and I want to start all over again and stick with this and I know it will work for me.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Welcome Newbies, I hope you all create a journal :)
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    Brenda703 wrote: »
    Hi I'm Brenda and I'm Brenda703 on My fitness pal and I weight 248 pounds. I'm 5 feet 6 1\2 and I have been on a roller coaster ride with my weight for about 15 years. My goal weight is 145 pounds so I have about 100 pounds to lose. I eat my one meal a day at 6pm because I work all day and don't want to carry all that food with me. Plus I get sleepy after I eat and don't want to be sleepy and tired at work. I am RESTARTING OMAD ON MAY 31st 2017. I have been on every DIET that you could think of and I would lose weight but the weight would just come back on and it was very discouraging. I have also tried one meal a day but I lost patience with myself and quit so I am back on the journey again and I know it woukd work out for me and I have faith this time that I can actually stick with it. I also tried the alternate-day fasting but I would get so hungry on My fasting days that I would quit so that did not work for me. I tried various intermittent fasting programs where I would eat during a certain time rather it be a four hour eating window or an 8 Hour eating window but I would over eat during those open windows. So here I am again and I want to start all over again and stick with this and I know it will work for me.

Hey, Brenda703!

I remember you from back aways when you first added me. Welcome back on the OMAD train!
  • riverkatie
    riverkatie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, I have just joined My Fitness pal so I can join you all.

Name Katie
    Female. Age 54.
    Live in New Zealand.
    Starting weight in 2010 was around 110kg. Last weight seen on the scale 108kg. Stopped weighing after that (denial anyone!) but did go up a dress size, so that is an estimate. Could have been more I suppose, but prefer not to think about that!

A dramatic event made me decide to lose weight, and I stared by cutting out sweet stuff. From there I tried loads and loads of diets, including Atkins which led me to Low carb which led me to Paleo and when that didn't work, finally I was zero carb (and therefore obviously ketogenic) for almost a year with no cheats. I remained stuck fluctuating between 90-95kg all that time.

Then I discovered Dr McDougall and lost most of the rest of my weight, down to around 65kg. I have remained vegan, but not as strict and drifted back up to 73kg. (73.7 if we want to be precise!)

Since discovering intermittent fasting and OMAD from there, I am back down to 68.3kg as of this morning. I am not as strict as many of you. I am losing vanity pounds and I don't mind if progress is therefore slower. During the week I eat OMAD but don't count calories. At the weekend I tend towards a 4 hour window. I don't plan splurge days but go with it if hubby and I decide to go out for morning tea at the weekend. (Maybe once a month...chocolate cake! Yum! Hubby and I share a slice :) )

I run because I love it, and have also taken up Aikido, which is fun.

So hello from a not so strict OMAD-er