Morning Coffee and Gratitude List

Options

Replies

• IndianaPapaw
    IndianaPapaw Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm thankful we are having the second above freezing day in a row. Only two the entire month I believe. I'm thankful I only have three pounds to go to be under 200. Probably around 40 years since I've been this weight. I'm thankful we will be celebrating a granddaughter's 9th birthday this evening and my 91 year old Mom will be able to be with us. We'll have four generations present. Pretty cool.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Wow sounds like a wonderful day for your family.

Congrats on your progress. Just keep doing what you have been doing, you'll see the results.

Everyone, have a day full of the right choices.
  • JoanLovell
    JoanLovell Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a wonderful celebration! Have fun!
  • DreamOn145
    DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Good Morning everyone! To catch up, you know I have been going through quite an ordeal. In fact, I believe this was actually one of those life defining moments where l have now become the phoenix struggling to rise from the ashes. I now have a new MD(again) and the day I finally arrived at his clinic they gave me breathing treatments, epinephrine, IM prednisone, oral prednisone, and an EPI pen that they told me not to go anywhere without !Can you believe I nearly died from respiratory allergies!!! And two doctors failed to identify and adequately treat it! And the main culprit is dust! (one of my friends who I have always called The Queen of Clean once said We are at war and dust is the enemy! Its one of my new mantras lol)

This weekend gratitude is the top of my list. We moved back home this weekend (after being in a hotel since 12/22) to new floors, complete new paint job, and quite a bit of new furniture! Its amazing and its beautiful and I can't stop walking around looking at it! For many MANY years of working an incredibly high stressed job, I said when I retire I am going to paint and do yoga and deveolp a whole other self! Well, we went to the beach for my birthday lunch yesterday and stopped at a place called Zen Garden and I bought the decorations for the little art studio my bonus room has now become and it looks amazing. At 63, I am going to renew the nursing license because old habits die hard, but the question of working is officially off the table. And if I ever do decide on an encore career, I do not believe it will be nursing lol

As far as how this effects my fitness program, well I have to be careful. I came home on 40 mg of prednisone as well as two inhalers and prn breathing treatments. And there is NOTHING worse for packing on the pounds than steroids! I cannot walk outside because at present my MD says I have to be VERY careful (the trip yesterday meant extra prednisone last night along with breathing treatments) for a while and stay away from places like our heavily tree lined street! I have to pace myself - and that is difficult. I can't get the puppy we were planning on (though the animal allergy is slight and she said after a year of allergy shots we will talk again) and she does not even want me to have house plants for a while (I bought air plants at Zen garden yesterday for the art studio). Acrylic paint does not seem to bother me so I can paint, and I am fortunate that I do have a wonderful Sole exercise bike, and my yoga equipment so I will be spending a lot of time in the house, which right now is FINE with me. I am LOVING being home and after this HUGE episode of illness I am ready for recovery!!! I am soooooooo grateful to be back!!!
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Wow, that is some scary meds and illness, went through something similar with my husband until we finally pinpointed his allergy. Enjoy the yoga, try to go to the beach to walk out of doors, you'll get bored in the house eventually. Congrats on completing that remodel.
  • seeingthelight
    seeingthelight Posts: 128 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Good morning all!
    Dream- so glad you are back home and enjoying all the new spaces. Now-one small step at a time---and you will just get better and better :-)

This morning I am grateful for feeling good this morning, the coffee, and being allowed to start exercising again. I too will be taking it one step at a time LOL. One thing I have learned since retirement is that I am breakable--- and fixable, but after I am fixed, I need to take it slowly getting back to my "normal". So I am going to walk today and call it enough! Have a great day everyone!
  • DreamOn145
    Options
    This morning I truly am grateful for the cup of coffee and this peace and quiet. My husband has returned to work and I have my quiet house to myself so I can spend the day listening to music and slowly beginning to unravel this huge mess and putting everything in its place. Last night I laid down to rest for a few minutes before cooking dinner and slept for ten solid hours and I was sleeping so hard my husband did not wake me! lol I feel stronger this morning and much more on the road to recovery!
  • JoanLovell
    JoanLovell Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Dream and Strongersue - I'm with you. Taking it slow is what works. May we all carry on!
    Today - taking some time to appreciate all the good that MLK accomplished. I've just seen Selma twice (my cousin has a small part!) - and blubbered all the way through. Those were amazing days for sure.
  • Othermama7
    Options
    I am grateful that my insurance covers most of my Y membership and that I am able to try so many classes !
  • IndianaPapaw
    IndianaPapaw Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Greetings. So thankful for finally getting a day I could get out and walk. !st time since 1-1-15. Also first time to have a pace below 16 min./mile for a 2 mile+ walk. Guess all that pent up energy helped :) Hopefully there will be more days this week.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    I am grateful that I am here posting & logging instead of off the wagon like this time last year. I am really enjoying our above average temps but we expect snow tomorrow morning again. I'm grateful for these past few days when I could really walk and enjoy the sunshine and not feel freezing cold while doing it.
  • DreamOn145
    Options
    I am so grateful that so far my plan to stay on track is working! I weighed in the morning after moving back in and have lost 2 lbs since coming back. I did not know that was possible on the steroids! And I do not even have the exercise bike set up yet,I have just been busy unpacking all of these tons of bags and boxes and have a long way to go with that yet.

Grateful to be home and feeling a little stronger every day. Still having a very hard time pacing myself with so much to do in front of me, but I am learning to take little breaks and getting stronger as I go so hopefully it will level out. Have some fear issues about tomorrow when I start the allergy shots. I hope I do not react and have a setback, but push on we must! My vegan brother just keeps saying "Just keep going green and it will keep you strong" I will bear that in mind!
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    DreamOn145 wrote: »
    I am so grateful that so far my plan to stay on track is working! I weighed in the morning after moving back in and have lost 2 lbs since coming back. I did not know that was possible on the steroids! And I do not even have the exercise bike set up yet,I have just been busy unpacking all of these tons of bags and boxes and have a long way to go with that yet.

Grateful to be home and feeling a little stronger every day.

Great news, DreamOn! That's a nice release of weight under your current circumstances. ~ Best ~ Kathy

• DreamOn145
    Options
    Grateful that I am going to be taking my first step towards conquering these allergies today. Nervous, but grateful lol
  • seeingthelight
    Options
    Good luck!
  • sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, Dreamon145, even the new cortisone formulations mess with us. I'm so thankful the steroids are available and instead of dwelling on the side effects that are upsetting, I'm going to practice active appreciation for the unexpected but beneficial side effects such as: Oh look! That ache has eased. Gee, I have whole new chunks of the day feeling better.
    Even the *$&dang fat redistribution is going to be a great beneficial side effect. With weight loss, we'll see those particular puffy parts trim down: won't it be great to see a belly that swelled out trim itself. That will be a visual affirmation of our hard work.
    I'm grateful, yes. I'm glad the doc has you on the track to wellness. Huge praise for your weight loss this week.

• seeingthelight
    Options
    my favorite good side effect-mosquito bites don't itch and swell!
    I am grateful this morning that I can still do a Leslie walking video in-spite of several months of neglecting regular exercise! I'm also grateful that I burned enough calories to increase the speed of my weight loss(I hope) The coffee was good too!
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Grateful my mom's blood transfusions were successful and she is back in the nursing home, she was in the ER with renal failure last night. Just glad she's not still in hospital or worse. She seems to really be going downhill. I haven't seen her because of the snow today.
  • DreamOn145
    Options
    I had my first follow up with the new MD yesterday and I am soooo grateful for the results. He said he was amazed at how much better my breathing is in one week! (yes to the benefits of Yoga breathing exercises!). He dropped me from 40 mg of Prednisone daily to 30 mg for a week then 20 mg for a week until I see him again! I am thrilled!! I did not think I would be able to drop that much that fast and hope that the wean off does well. Had my first allergy shot and no side effects. Happy Dance!!!! Happy Dance!! lol
  • seeingthelight
    Options
    Today I am grateful Dream is doing so much better! That is great news Dream. Now don't get all crazy and start whizzing around- remember - you are building your activity slowly and taking time to smell the flowers-LOL. Well considering the allergies, maybe not smell the flowers but do something you enjoy every day.

My enjoyable thing to do today is to paint my toenails and have pizza for dinner.
    Have a great day everyone!