Intermediate Team Chat Board

Options

Replies

• SaraAlexandre
    SaraAlexandre Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of us have gone through these struggles habit365, just with our own weight loss journeys. We get injured, we have surgeries, we slip up and we seriously stumble and fall. (I'm taking on Daryl's roll here, lol) The hard part is getting back up. I have talked about this before in other challenges but I only became successful losing weight when I started putting myself first. It always seemed selfish to me to take the time for myself and work out, or to eat healthy. I realized that it was essential! How can I take care of anyone else with out taking care of myself first? It's not selfish, it's far from it.

As far as calories habit365, you are not the only person having problems so don't feel guilty. So, my resolve this week is to help support those struggling with their calorie goals. I will start with myself. Self : you can reverse the weight you have gained these past 6 months. You will do it because it's important and you are worth it! Take some time and plan your meals. You prefer healthier food and you enjoy it! It makes you look and feel better.

Habit365: you have such an awesomely inspiring name! Cause that's what it takes, make it a habit each and every single day. This is our lives and our journeys have ups and downs. Don't forget to pick yourself back up.
  • ToughHippieChick
    ToughHippieChick Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    habit365 wrote: »
    I lost the old me, the invincible me, the go go go person. I had to relearn various physical things and learn how to deal with the things that could not be fixed. I learned that I can endure a lot, but in the process I temporarily stopped trying to be better, I was just trying to survive. Gradually I started realizing that while I will never be the old person, I can still start where I am and make progress.

Thank you for sharing with us habit365! I think once you start forming and meeting smaller different goals that are conducive to the new person you are, you'll feel so much more comfortable in your skin! :smiley:
    habit365 wrote: »
    And, I totally hear you SaraAlexandre about the calories. I have been a big offender on this front and I have at times contemplated dropping out of the challenge so I can work on it without dragging the whole team down.

I have been guilty of this as well. Don't drop out though. We are all here to be fitter and being part of a team means sometimes we need others to carry the ball and sometimes we run it ahead of others. I just try anew each day and sometimes I get it right and sometimes I come close, but short of my goal, and sometimes I blow it. You're an asset to the team!
  • SaraAlexandre
    Options
    I am working extra hard this week to stay under my calories and to really push the strength training as well. Have you guys all watched the episode yet?
  • pdnaylor
    Options
    I don't think I'm going to be able to hit my numbers this week, but I'm gonna try...I slipped on a patch of ice and hyper-extended my already surgically repaired knee...I'm on day 2 of resting it, so hopefully I can make it up to the gym tomorrow..
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    The cold, rainy weather is making it difficult to get out for my usual lunchtime walk so I'm a bit concerned about my cardio this week, and I guess that's only going to be more and more the case as November slips by. I've always been a bit over in both categories so I'm hoping this week I'll be right at my numbers. Although since today is cold but sunny I may try just a quick half hour...wearing my gloves and hat!

I saw the episode and all I can say is I would watch an entire season about Carol and Daryl if they would film it.
  • knitapeace
    Options
    I'd like to address this week's challenge about Carol. I loved all the symbolism about the old you "burning away" and leaving something new behind--sometimes you like what's left behind, sometimes you don't. In my progress to health I burned away the person who says, "I can't." What got me started in the very, very beginning was a dream I had in which I was running like the wind. When I woke up I remember thinking, "Too bad that'll never happen." But in the coming days the dream kept coming back to me, irritating me, because I didn't like thinking that running around was something that was forever out of my reach. So I began my journey with the Couch to 5K app from the NHS, and when I discovered I wasn't going to lose any weight doing that alone I joined MFP and started tracking calories and losing weight. Today I can run! Not fast, not super far, but I can do 10K at a stretch and I absolutely love doing it. I'm glad to have burned away that girl who said, "I'll never be a runner."
  • ToughHippieChick
    Options
    knitapeace wrote: »
    I'm glad to have burned away that girl who said, "I'll never be a runner."

Way to go! I'm still at that place where I say "I'll never be a runner." but seeing statements like yours is inspiring!

• SaraAlexandre
    Options
    It's amazing what we can do when we try! Those that are short, I will pitch in what I can. I hope to see some great numbers this week!
  • aprilyankee
    aprilyankee Posts: 345 Member
    Options

1. Be retrospective like Carol : talk to your team about a fire in your life or smoke you saw that "consumed" you and made you rise like a phoenix from the ashes in a new direction, especially if this story relates to health and fitness like a sport's injury or regaining weight you had lost.

-I'm quite fortunate not to have endured all that Carol has. Each experience effects you and changes you as a person. I like to think I would be just fine in her situation, but you never know how you will react until you get there. For me, getting out of the Army completely killed my fitness motivation. Being fit served a greater purpose, now it only serves me. I know I am perfectly capable of doing anything, just lacking the desire to do so. Still a work in progress. I have gotten the calorie consumption under control, and back to logging. Now to focus on fitness.

2. Be determined and optimistic like Daryl and encourage someone in your own life who is experiencing difficulties in reaching their goals or is having similar setbacks.

-I always found encouraging others mutually beneficial. There are so many times a kind or encouraging word pulled me out of the dumps. I like to think my positive attitude helps others. I do have a friend in the middle of a relationship crisis. There isn't much I can do, but I can be there for her and give her a sympathetic ear when she needs one.

• ToughHippieChick
    Options
    1. I'd like to share with my team the hardship I endured as I gained weight. I had never really struggled with my weight, normally falling around 130 most of my adult life and quite content at that weight. Both my mother and my older sister were obese and I considered myself lucky that I didn't struggle as they did. In 2007 and 2008 I experienced a great deal of turbulence in my life. I started grad school. My father died. I quit smoking. I ended a relationship and moved out of state. During that time I gained over 120 pounds in less than a year. This led to significant health issues, and also significantly changed the way I was viewed and treated by others. I felt rejection, less respect, shame, and fear. Not only about my body, but also reflected into my professional capabilities and my personal abilities in relationships. It was a vicious cycle of receiving negative feedback from the world around me which fueled my own self-doubt and eventually self-hatred and hopelessness.
    Fast forward 7 years. I have gone through quite a bit of therapy, started a healthy relationship, graduated grad school, acquired a profession and built a great professional reputation. Most importantly, I have dismissed negative people from my life and refuse to think negatively anymore. I have gained and lost the same 30 pounds a hundred times since then as well and started and stopped smoking a few times.
    Currently I am down almost 40 pounds from my highest weight, smoke-free forever, happily married, and loving myself daily. I still have about 80-90 pounds to lose and a lot of goals in life to accomplish, but through it all I have learned to love myself unconditionally. I have also become keenly aware when I see body shaming happening in society.
    That's my Carol rising from the ashes story and I thank my team for taking the time to read it. :)
  • knitapeace
    Options
    Such wonderful stories you all are sharing! Scar tissue is tougher than unmarked skin, and every challenge we overcome makes us that much stronger.

Looks like the weather is a bit milder today so if I can get in my 45 minute lunchtime walk I should be good for my numbers this week. I'll still be under a little for strength but there are still two days left in the week to get it in! I'm definitely feeling a difference in my midsection since I started this challenge, and that's a great feeling!
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    1. Be retrospective like Carol : talk to your team about a fire in your life or smoke you saw that "consumed" you and made you rise like a phoenix from the ashes in a new direction, especially if this story relates to health and fitness like a sport's injury or regaining weight you had lost.

I honestly think this weight loss journey is the most phoenix-like thing I've done... though in my case I've *always* been overweight, so maybe it's more like going from a caterpillar to a butterfly, or something. :) Though in the last 5 years or so, I definitely was gaining and reached my highest weight yet. I've never *really* tried to lose weight - more like every once in awhile decide to eat healthy for a week, or hardly eat anything at all for a couple days and then eventually cave and binge. This is the first time I've really put my mind to it, and I've stuck with it since January. I've now lost over 90 lbs, and am still working on it. It's really wonderful essentially feeling like a whole new person, or at least a better, more confident version of who I used to be. Still getting used to it. Here's the photo that really made me start on this journey, and a photo from my sister's wedding this past weekend.

670q6c16z3a0.jpg

2. Be determined and optimistic like Daryl and encourage someone in your own life who is experiencing difficulties in reaching their goals or is having similar setbacks.

I fully appreciate all the support I've gotten on MFP since I've started this journey, and am trying my best to return that appreciation and kindness to my friends here. But I admit that I should be better in encouraging my mother - who also really wants to lose weight, but is having a difficult time. Luckily I'm spending most of next week with her, including taking her out on a hike (at her request) on Monday! :D
  • Jennwa
    Jennwa Posts: 107 Member
    Options

Ok. Here's my story. I have always been overweight. It started when I was probably 9 or so. I was always the "bigger" girl in school, but it just never bothered me all that much. I never tried to loose the weight. I would guess I was around 160/170 all through out high school and most of college, maybe. I guess I don't really know because I never weighed myself back then. I just knew I was bigger than I wanted to be and that's how it was going to be. It wasn't until 2009/2010 that I finally started worrying about my weight. It wasn't even that worried, just enough to buy a scale and actually see what my weight was. It wasn't until 2011 that I stepped on the scale and read 210. The very next day everything clicked. I weighed food, measured out portions, worked out like crazy. The weight just fell off. By July 2011 I had lost 40lbs. I hit a wall and stopped. I remember telling myself that I was tired and just didn't want to do it. Well by December 2011 I had lost another 30lbs just by kinda watching what I ate. I was able to keep the total 65lbs off for almost another year. In November 2012 I had an emergency gallbladder removal surgery. I literally went into the hospital weighing 143lbs and went home weighing 163lbs!! I remember stepping on the scale and just bawling. How is this possible?? I hated myself and the scale that day and pretty much everyday since. I have gained another almost 30lbs. Pretty much 15 per year since then.

I decided that I would try all over again. I am not near as motivated as I was the last time. It just hasn't clicked this time like it should. I don't consider myself fully "rising" yet, but I am getting there.

One of my great friends is doing a fitness challenge at work. They are encouraging their employees to become healthier with lowering their health insurance if they complete the program and what not. So she is doing this. I am trying really hard to encourage different things to try, but I will talk until I am blue in the face with her :smiley:
    I also want to make a shout out to everyone here!! I was about to give up on weight loss when I found this challenge. If it wasn't for this....I'm not sure where I would be. Granted I really haven't lost any weight, but I am being way more consistant with workouts and watching what I eat! So...THANK YOU :wink:
  • knitapeace
    Options
    Check in day! I have extra strength minutes this week if anyone is short.
  • ToughHippieChick
    Options
    Hi team.
    Hope everyone had a great week!
    Here's how I did.

Cardio: 263/130
    Strength: 147/75
    Others are welcome to use my extra minutes.

Calories within goal for the week: 6/7 days yes!
    Character challenge (Michonne): (I didn't see one posted so I did a previous one, the Michael Jackson Thriller dance.) Yes
    All member challenge: 1. Share with team: Yes, 2. Encourage someone: Yes
    Punishment: Any of previous 5 punishments. How to Run From a Zombie Workout: Yes
  • SaraAlexandre
    Options
    Thank you guys for sharing your stories and what amazing losses and encouraging words. Please don't for get to check in and think of a punishment! Maybe we will win this week??
  • Mrscheyfleming
    Mrscheyfleming Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry I forgot to check in, I had a lot going on! I promise I won't forget this weekend!
  • habit365
    habit365 Posts: 174
    Options
    Ugh. This is the first time I've been able to log in in almost two days. I cannot keep up with the challenge at this time. Add me to the horde!
  • SaraAlexandre
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Ok habit but I hope you stay with the team as a walker friend. I'm still having problems too. UggghHH!!!

We are now down to 13 active members. No shows this week was turntechbiologist and mscheyflemming. Not bad!
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    New challenge is posted. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1464792/weekly-challenge#Item_68

However, I have to run in to work so winning team and MVPs won't be posted for a few hours.