New member check in...

So far there are 2 of us here.. w00t!!!

I'll introduce myself.. I'm Martin, from Germantown MD.. got 50+ lbs to lose.. I figure if we have local support..the more fun..!!

I think it's a good idea to add everyone as friends that're in the group.. so feel free to add me..!!

M

Replies

• Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    *pokes head in cautiously* I'm Colleen, 25, live in Reston. I am jealous of all the MFPers that don't have awful commutes to work. Now I have people that can share my pain! Lol. I work full time for a govt agency in the Alexandria/Arlington area and go to school at GMU part time for my masters in Public Administration. I know there's more DC area MFPers out there, show yourselves! :drinker:
  • liveinthemix
    liveinthemix Posts: 360 Member
    Welcome Colleen.. thanks for joining up!!

I too work at a gov't agency.. something to do w/food..and drugs.. Anywho! We've already got 10 members.. this could be pretty cool.. working on a logo now!!
  • liveinthemix
    And congrats on the weight loss!! Way to go!
  • myurav
    myurav Posts: 165 Member
    I'm Merav - I just moved back to the DC area (Potomac native), and I'm taking some time off to find a new direction. I retired from teaching at the ripe age of 24, and I'm now looking a career that I'm passionate and excited about.

I just started (semi-)running, and I've also been doing some JM videos and gymming every once in a while. It would be great to have some meet-ups in the area!
  • liveinthemix
    Welcome Merav!! Glad to have you aboard!!
  • I'm Renata, 33, from Gaithersburg. I work in Potomac - thank God I don't have to go downtown anymore.
    I'm on a 1200 cal/day regimen and work out at least 5 times per week. I go to the gym near work, and on weekends I can bring my 8yo who loves the kid's club.
  • liveinthemix
    Hello Renata! Welcome to the group, thanks for joining!!

The downtown commute from up this way (moco) is horrid!! Glad you've found a spot where the commute is more forgiving!!
  • Hey Everyone! So glad this group was made! I'm brand new to the area (been in Takoma for about a month now, moved from Manhattan) and I'm still learning the ins and outs. I've been running in Rock Creek Park and I do Zumba DVDs most days though I haven't found a convenient gym to start classes at yet since I don't have a car and rely entirely on things that are walkable/bikable from the metro. Would love suggestions on good places to run or hike and I'm really looking for a good fun league to play softball with in the spring. I'll also settle for Ultimate Frisbee.

Feel free to friend me or message me if you have any info and looking forward to getting to know everyone!
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    YEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!!!!!!! Last week it took 2 hours to get home just because of volume and most of my MFPers did not understand. I get jealous because the exercise twice a day cook lavish meals and I am like WTH???
    I did a race in Lingoria Vineyard Sunday! Beautiful up that way. So peaceful!
  • liveinthemix
    Welcome both to LittleFootLT11 and garlic7girl!!!

LittleFoot - Welcome to the DC Metro area..!! How are you enjoying it so far?

garlic7girl - haha.. I know.. it's too funny.. whenever people from out of town visit my job for training or whatever, they cannot believe the amount of traffic we have to sit in on a daily basis!!

Thank you both for joining and introducing yourselves..!!
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Hi!! I'm Charlene. I'm originally from Philly, but now live in Baltimore. I also work for a federal agency in DC, one that deals with housing. My commute is 2 to 2.5 hours each way, but that's mainly because I take the MARC train. If I had to drive to DC everyday, they'd have to fit me for one of those white jackets with the extra long, wrap-around sleeves!!! :laugh:
  • liveinthemix
    Welcome Charlene!!! Glad to have you aboard!! I could not imagine having to drive from Baltimore to DC every day..!! I hear the train is nice though since you get to kick back and relax for the ride!!

Thanks so much for joining the group and introducing yourself!
  • riley711
    I love the train from Baltimore to DC. I get an extra hour of sleep on the train in the morning, and usually work or read on the ride home in the afternoon. Thinking of moving a little closer to DC next year.
  • liveinthemix
    Ahh.. an extra hour of sleep in the AM would be splendid!! Too bad there's no MARC from Germantown to Rockville.. hehe!
  • riley711
    Ahh.. an extra hour of sleep in the AM would be splendid!! Too bad there's no MARC from Germantown to Rockville.. hehe!

Aww man, I hated it when I worked in Rockville. I had to drive there everyday for a year. Used to work for HHS OIG. Did a few audits working out of the Parklawn building on Fishers Lane.
  • Welcome both to LittleFootLT11 and garlic7girl!!!

LittleFoot - Welcome to the DC Metro area..!! How are you enjoying it so far?

garlic7girl - haha.. I know.. it's too funny.. whenever people from out of town visit my job for training or whatever, they cannot believe the amount of traffic we have to sit in on a daily basis!!

Thank you both for joining and introducing yourselves..!!

I'm loving it so far, thanks for asking! It's a nice breath of fresh air from midtown Manhattan, let me tell you!

I have a 40 minute commute to and from work in Georgetown but I spend 20 minutes of it in the Metro (half of which is above ground and afforded great views of the sunrise up until daylight savings ended) and the remaining 20 consists of walking about a mile. That gives me two miles a day which really helps my calorie goals. I'm a little nervous now that it's so dark when I'm walking home but it's mostly residential, hopefully it'll be ok. Worst comes to worse I could just take a cab.

I have to say that the best moment in my life was when I decided to live without a car. It's much easier to do in NYC then here but I just opened a zipcar account so I can get pretty much anywhere without too much hassle. I'm spoiled, any time in the car now and I get motion sick! My truest sympathies to those who have to spend an hour or more in the car a day. It must be miserable :-(
  • justler6
    justler6 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi everyone,

I'm Greg, 28 from Brunswick (little west of Frederick). Work in Ashburn Virginia for a communications company and not for a government agency! Although I have worked for several in MD and VA. I found MFP a few weeks ago via reddit and figured i'd give it a shot. I'm holding strong and have changed my ways pretty drastically from eating out all meals every day to making pretty much everything at home and controlling portions!

Hoping to find some support and ideas here, as well as where people in the area go to find a good meal that is not 1,000 calories per hamburger! ;)
  • Hello, I'm Emmy I'm 30. I live in DC. I've been on MFP for a little while now ( I think since may) I have been doing great except for workouts. hopefully I can get inspired to get back to the gym (it's been two months and getting close to three since I've been to the gym. at first it was my work schedule that stopped me but now i realize I'm lacking motivation to get back to it. so with that said i'm glad this group was created for us in the DMV maybe i'll find a workout partner in the process.
  • fairfieldbeach
    fairfieldbeach Posts: 261 Member
    Hi! DC area native here--now living in McLean, Va., and I mostly telecommute now (yay!)--but I have commuted everywhere from Capitol Hill to downtown to Georgetown to Alexandria. Exercising is no problem for me--late night bingeing is! :frown:
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Hi all! I'm Lyndsay. I live in Annandale, VA and work in Reston for an environmental clean-up company (reverse commute). I have lots of weight to lose, but I love kickboxing and walking my dogs. When it gets warmer I hope to get back in to bikeriding.

So glad there are others here!!!!