New member check in...

Options

Replies

• Shizzman
    Shizzman Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I guess I might as well introduce myself. I'm Maxwell and I live in Arlington, VA. I'm 26 and am a government contractor. I am CrossFitter and I'm not really looking to lose weight as much as gain muscle (don't mind losing body fat).
  • insaindon
    Options
    Another Federale, also in Rockville, but with a reverse and early morning commute, so that's not so terrible. I've been at this since August, and feel like I've barely made any progress, so it's great to have more support, and even some locals. (I'm a born and bred local, which is unusual in this area.) I try to get my exercize in before work, which is difficult as I'm at work at 7:30, and some days are better than others. Glad to have found you all.
  • liveinthemix
    liveinthemix Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! Welcome everyone!!! I have a few meetings this morning but I will be back to post a bit more this afternoon!!

Thanks for checking in.. I feel a sense of community already!!! :)

Feel free to spread the word about the group to any friends that are in the area (Bmore/Frederick/Fredericksburg/Stafford/Richmond included)
  • katyk00
    katyk00 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! After hearing the horrible commute stories I feel bad admitting that I live 5 minutes away from my Fed Job in DC. But, I'm 27 and recently gotten excited about running after avoiding it forever. Thank you C25K, I'm down to my last 4 lbs and excited about my first race next month.
  • ShannaDBowser
    ShannaDBowser Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Shanna (Shaw-Na) from Easton, MD on the Eastern Shore. I'm a single mom of a rambunctious three year old girl and I am engaged to be married to a wonderful man in May of 2013. I'm looking to lose about 100+ pounds and I've lost just about 11 so far in 3 weeks.
    I walk while at work. We have a course that is 1.5 miles out and back that I try to walk on my lunch breaks, provided someone can cover the phones. I've been trying to do some isometrics at home and I have the Slim in 6 program that I can't seem to put in my DVD player and actually use. I have two torn discs in my lower back so I can't do some moves, like crunches, and both of my knees are prone to giving me fits. That is mainly caused by my being so overweight.. but that's what I'm here for! Hopefully this is the right group to join.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    (I'm a born and bred local, which is unusual in this area.)

I was born in Nova and grew up in Anne Arundel County, MD; and recently moved back to Nova. I thought I was the only person living and working here who actually grew up around here! Lol!

This is cool...everyone, feel free to add me as a friend. Please put in a little note about the DC MD VA group, though, since I sometimes get a lot of random ones without notes, and I wanna be sure I'm adding the right people.

Hope everyone has a great day! :-)
  • notoriouslyKEN
    notoriouslyKEN Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    30 year old from Gaithersburg here. I am trying to shed about 50 lbs and would like to do most of it by my wedding (and honeymoon) in July. I work in Rockville so no complaints on my short commute. I try to run around my neighborhood with my dog as my main source of exercise. I am also a member of Planet Fitness and my work has a gym, but the PF membership is collecting dust and I have yet to go to my work gym (only been on the job 3 weeks so far). I also grew up in MoCo, so I am a longtime local.
  • amenadenine
    amenadenine Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone my name is Amena. I live in Hyattsville. I started this journey in January. I have only made one other real effort at loosing weight this is the longest I have stuck to it. I've lost 51lbs and have 73 to go.

My motivation has been wavering for the past few months I am still looking for new motivation to get back into things like I was before. Work has gotten stressful and I have started grad school. The challenge now is to loose this weight during stressful busy times. I know I can do it and I know you all can too. Looking forward to being a part of this group.
  • SmileyJ23
    SmileyJ23 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hi All :) Im Jasminn. Live in MD. Work in DC. I seriously only live like 10 min a way but tell that to the TRAFFIC!!! It is a lot better going home. Usually I'm home by 4:15 PM (off at 3:30) Im currently still doing 30 Day Shred. Doing very well with it!! Plan to start Ripped in 30 next week.
  • liveinthemix
    Options
    Welcome both to LittleFootLT11 and garlic7girl!!!

LittleFoot - Welcome to the DC Metro area..!! How are you enjoying it so far?

garlic7girl - haha.. I know.. it's too funny.. whenever people from out of town visit my job for training or whatever, they cannot believe the amount of traffic we have to sit in on a daily basis!!

Thank you both for joining and introducing yourselves..!!

I'm loving it so far, thanks for asking! It's a nice breath of fresh air from midtown Manhattan, let me tell you!

I have a 40 minute commute to and from work in Georgetown but I spend 20 minutes of it in the Metro (half of which is above ground and afforded great views of the sunrise up until daylight savings ended) and the remaining 20 consists of walking about a mile. That gives me two miles a day which really helps my calorie goals. I'm a little nervous now that it's so dark when I'm walking home but it's mostly residential, hopefully it'll be ok. Worst comes to worse I could just take a cab.

I have to say that the best moment in my life was when I decided to live without a car. It's much easier to do in NYC then here but I just opened a zipcar account so I can get pretty much anywhere without too much hassle. I'm spoiled, any time in the car now and I get motion sick! My truest sympathies to those who have to spend an hour or more in the car a day. It must be miserable :-(

Glad you're enjoying it here!!

That's awesome you get your 2 miles in by default as part of your commute!! I've thought about going carless, but living out in the burbs would severely limit my mobility.. I think that's an awesome idea though. If I lived in the city I'd definitely consider it..esp w/the way parking is..!!

So glad you're aboard..thanks for sharing some of your story w/us..!
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I live in Alexandria and work at AU in upper (way upper) NW. I drive 11 miles and one-way it's 45 minutes on a good day (it would take at least 1-1/2 hours by metro). I grew up here, but lived in the mid-west most of my adult life.
  • liveinthemix
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm Greg, 28 from Brunswick (little west of Frederick). Work in Ashburn Virginia for a communications company and not for a government agency! Although I have worked for several in MD and VA. I found MFP a few weeks ago via reddit and figured i'd give it a shot. I'm holding strong and have changed my ways pretty drastically from eating out all meals every day to making pretty much everything at home and controlling portions!

Hoping to find some support and ideas here, as well as where people in the area go to find a good meal that is not 1,000 calories per hamburger! ;)

Welcome Greg!! Glad to have you aboard!! It does make a big difference once you actually take a look at what you're putting in your body.. I was just thinking how I'd go to Wendy's or McDonald's for lunch, and how one of those meals would probably wipe out 3/4th's of my calorie allowance!! Not to mention packing a over a day's worth of sodium and fat along the way!!

A good idea is to start a thread here soliciting ideas for just that.. I'll try to find some here in the rockville/moco area..and I'm sure we'll have other members chime in w/places from their respective areas as well!!

Thanks again!
  • liveinthemix
    Options
    Hello, I'm Emmy I'm 30. I live in DC. I've been on MFP for a little while now ( I think since may) I have been doing great except for workouts. hopefully I can get inspired to get back to the gym (it's been two months and getting close to three since I've been to the gym. at first it was my work schedule that stopped me but now i realize I'm lacking motivation to get back to it. so with that said i'm glad this group was created for us in the DMV maybe i'll find a workout partner in the process.

Hey there Emmy!! Way to hang in there even w/the 2~3 month lull.. the important thing is you came back and are ready to get back to it!!

There's so much to do in DC, do you belong to one of the chain gyms (bally's, gold's), or one of the other's that are more "personal" I guess..? I see them featured on the news from time to time.. One was featured when the whole Seargent's workout trend started to get popular..!

Thanks for sharing and thanks for joining up w/the group!!
  • liveinthemix
    Options
    Hi! DC area native here--now living in McLean, Va., and I mostly telecommute now (yay!)--but I have commuted everywhere from Capitol Hill to downtown to Georgetown to Alexandria. Exercising is no problem for me--late night bingeing is! :frown:

Mostly telecommute..?? no sympathy for you!! Just kidding!! :wink: That's pretty awesome!! I telecommute 2 days a week, and use one of them to hit the weights at my local Planet Fitness.. !!

Ahh.. late night binging... One of my favorite past times!! It gets hard to resist sometimes right?? Esp ice cream.., and snack cakes.. ok let me stop.. bad habits are hard to break! lol

Thanks for joining the group!!
  • liveinthemix
    Options
    Hi all! I'm Lyndsay. I live in Annandale, VA and work in Reston for an environmental clean-up company (reverse commute). I have lots of weight to lose, but I love kickboxing and walking my dogs. When it gets warmer I hope to get back in to bikeriding.

So glad there are others here!!!!

Hello Lyndsay!! Ahh..the good ol' reverse commute.. When I had a reverse commute, I'd point and laugh at everyone stuck in traffic headed in the other direction!! Now that I've moved and have to be IN the traffic, my past actions aren't so amusing anymore.. :).

Although today is LOVELY in the metro area, we all know that bitter cold is coming.. kind of a bummer because if we had these groups start up earlier in the year, it'd be easier to organize walks and such that people wouldn't have to pack 3 layers of clothes on to attend.. I'm getting ahead of myself though..

Anywho, thanks for joining up!! Glad to have you here!!
  • liveinthemix
    Options
    Work calls again.. Will be back in a little bit!! Thanks again to everyone for joining!! :)
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I'm Caroline, originally from South Jersey and now living in DC. I work as an engineer/government contractor and I'm also a grad student at GMU.

My partner and I got really lucky and found a house in the Capitol Hill/Eastern Market neighborhood, only 1 mile from where I work. So I have plenty of opportunities to get my biking and walking exercise in! Prior to that we were commuting 2-3 hours every day, so I can empathize with all of you who spend a significant portion of the day stuck in a car.
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    everybody wassup, since we all in the same area thats wassup....Let drop these lbs
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Morgan from Maryland

and i'm awesome :bigsmile:
  • weightloss12345678
    weightloss12345678 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    i got 50+ to lose too