What's Cookin?

Options

Replies

• sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I made this Pumkin Soup the week before Halloween but it's taken me a while to figure out the picture thing :wink: . WARNING: It makes a ton! I still have several servings in the freezer.

006-1.jpg

Cut 1~5lb pumpkin in half, remove seeds and inerds with a spoon. Rub it with some olvie oil and salt & pepper. Roast @ 400 in oven along with onion, 2 red pepper, and ~4 sticks of celery (roughly chopped and also rubbed with oil and S&P). The pumpkin will take longer so keep an eye on everything but it's ok if they get a little blackened, you just want everything to be soft. I didn't even put the pumpkin on a pan but the other veg, yes. Let everything cool off. Blend into a puree with a blender. You will have to add some liquid. The pumpkin was suprisingly thick. I used some chicken stock, carrot juice (I would have roasted carrots if I had them) and water. I also added A LOT of garlic, fresh basil, and fresh thyme, also in the blender. You will have to blend in steps, it will not all fit at once. Add everything into a LARGE pot (I had to upgrade twice) and just warm it on medium. I added ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and some more S&P. We had it with some cheesy garlic toast and it was terrific!

It made ~15 servings @ 82 cal/serving.
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Balsamic-glazed steelhead on a bed of pan-wilted garlicky rainbow chard, and brussel sprouts steamed and sauteed in butter.

I'm tickled to death with this dinner! So glad I have leftovers for lunch. Yum! :)

balsamic.jpg

Balsamic glaze recipe: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/balsamic-glazed-salmon-fillets/detail.aspx
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Everything looks great! Gonna have to try the steelhead and the pumpkin soup!
  • Nikkie_too
    Options
    A very sexy salad (as Jamie Oliver might say).

I know, on this thread we celebrate real food, rather than "diet food" and salad is the quintessential "diet food". However, I believe this to be an exception. You decide!

salad.jpg

This salad is a bed of mixed greens and romaine ('cause I happened to have both).
    Topped with
    - English cucumber
    - Asian pear
    - pomegranate
    - gorgonzola cheese
    - home-candied pecans
    - warmed lemon-pepper chicken
    - drizzled with a homemade orange-poppyseed dressing

Please imagine a dusting of chopped scallions on top. I forgot them for then photo, tossed my salad and added them later. I was hungry! :)
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    After a crazy 2 days of cooking... It was nice to prepare something simple for me and my Husband for a quiet dinner...

f4cd2c8f.jpg
  • Nikkie_too
    Options
    Lovely bruschetta! I don't blame you a bit for wanting a light meal after your 'marathon of food prep'. LOL
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    that salad looks phenomenal !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    Doesn't it?! I'm so making that!
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    I've posted this in the other forum, but this one is a staple for us!
    Ina Gartens Roasted Sausages and Grapes!

aa38e7f6.jpg
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Nikki, that salad look gorgeous! I love pomegranate seeds. Loves, I have been meaning to try that recipe for sausages and grapes. I never met a grape I didn't like (and not all of them were in a bottle). I think it will have to wait until after Thanksgiving, though.
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    [img]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/pixlamarque/Food Pics/2011-11-20_19-14-22_836.jpg[/img]

Smoked Paprika Tilapia ( only slightly altered from here: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/grilled-tilapia-with-smoked-paprika-parmesan-polenta-10000001696596/ )

The tilapia was very good, would definitely make it again. I didn't think the oil/spice rub would be enough, so I doubled it. Next time I would double the spices except for the salt, but only use the original amount of oil. You might need more oil in a non-stick pan, but I used an anodized one. I didn't make the polenta based on the review comments. The sweetie really liked this one and it was fast and easy.
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    I love Tiapia and smoked paprika.... Must try!

Have you ever tried braised brusselsprouts? Omg!
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I love brussel sprouts. I like them fried in a pan with a little oil, onion and garlic. If you cut them in half, they get browned and a little crispy on the bottoms - yum!

We had Jamaican Me Crazy chicken last night from the Eat, Shrink, and Be Merry cookbook. Chicken was awesome. I experimented with coconut rice since husband bought 2 coconuts about a month ago and we still have them. I used the coconut water in the rice and grated the fresh coconut and threw it in there too. Disappointing - tasted like regular rice. "Nothing butter can't fix!" My hubby is so supportive ;) Also had green beans - another of my favorite veggies.
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    While my daughter baked her first Banana Bread (which turned out great!) I made a Pumpkin-Spice Bundt Cake by Cooking Light

5f6e9c5c.jpg

My son absolutely loved it! It has a little Rum glaze over top, but not necessary at all!
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    delicious looking bundt!
  • Nikkie_too
    Options
    fallenangel - Beautiful bundt! What's the glaze?

Pix - the tilapia sounds awesome! I love smoked paprika. :)
  • Faythee
    Faythee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Bowtie pasta, organic chicken sausage, fresh sauteed red pepper, tomatoes, zucchini, squash, onion and garlic in a little olive oil, spices, & sherry.....topped with Parmesan. Hubbys homemade bread.

fc72xe.jpg
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    Yummy looking!

Nikki its a rum glaze... It's by Cooking Light! (of course) :P
  • Nikkie_too
    Options
    Nikki its a rum glaze... It's by Cooking Light! (of course) :P

OMG - perfection!
  • Nikkie_too
    Options
    Here's my attempt at chicken ballotine/galantine. Becky did this a few months ago and I've been itching to try it ever since!

This version is stuffed with:
    - spinach
    - mushrooms
    - caramelized onions
    - Italian sausage
    - wheatberries
    - dried cranberries
    - garlic
    - fresh thyme

Here's Jacques Pepin <3 showing how to bone the whole stinkin' chicken. I'll warn you, he makes it look easy! ;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAekQ5fzfGM

ballotine.jpg

chickenballotine.jpg