What's Cookin?

Options

Replies

• Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Lunch and dinner today!

White bean chicken chili from Allrecipes.com. For the love of all that is good, use fresh tomatillos! :) I could have dressed it up with cilantro and cheese and sour cream but... I didn't. ;)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/white-bean-chicken-chili/detail.aspx

whitebeanchickenchili-lo.jpg

This is a crock-pot pulled pork made from a loin roast with onions and garlic and - get this - root beer and chili sauce. It's really quite good! Not terribly authentic, but hey - what does a Canadian girl know about BBQ???

pulledpork-lo.jpg
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I need to cook brussel sprouts more!

4c6d6640.jpg

Ccken Breast with Classic French Sauce, Steamed Baby Broccoli and Parsley Butter Potatoes.... Cooking Light
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Lunch and dinner today!

White bean chicken chili from Allrecipes.com. For the love of all that is good, use fresh tomatillos! :) I could have dressed it up with cilantro and cheese and sour cream but... I didn't. ;)

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/white-bean-chicken-chili/detail.aspx

whitebeanchickenchili-lo.jpg

This is a crock-pot pulled pork made from a loin roast with onions and garlic and - get this - root beer and chili sauce. It's really quite good! Not terribly authentic, but hey - what does a Canadian girl know about BBQ???

pulledpork-lo.jpg

The brussel sprouts actually make me salivate!!!!!! Go Figure! Girl I am from Dayton!!!!!!!!!
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    93893ee5.jpg

Slow Cooker Sweet & Sour Pork.... Taste of Home!
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I love slow cooked pork - yum!

So, cabbage was on sale 3 heads for $1, yes $1 so it's been a cabbage friendly week here. I did the two things I know how to do: Irish Boil - cabbage boiled with potatoes, carrots, onion, and sausage and Bubble & Squeek, which is essentially mashed potato with the cabbage mixed in.

I still have 1.5 heads to deal with so tonight I tried it roasted. It was terrific! I chopped it, tossed it with some oil, salt, pepper, dill, and oregano, spread it on a pan, and roasted for ~10min @ 450. We had it with roasted potatoes and carrots, prepared the same way and the remaining kielbasa just sliced and fried in a pan. Terrific, cheap meal!

roasted_cabbage_sausage.jpg
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    Yum! I love cabbage!

f70dee4b.jpg

Turkey Tomato Pizza...Tastes of Home
  • Nikkie_too
    Options
    Man, that kielbasa looks wonderful. Haven't had a nice bit of sausage in a while. Maybe Sunday... hmmm... :) The pizza looks fresh and yummy too! :) Did you use a regular pizza crust? I tend to do flatbread (even flat-out wraps) because it's perfect for li'l ol' me.
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    This one was pizza crust... But I get fresh focaccia when I can at Central Market and make it that way too!
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    e531f6de.jpg

Browned Butter Rissoto with Shrimp... Giada
  • Nikkie_too
    Options
    I'm not sure what to call this concoction. I sauteed some crimini mushrooms and scallions with butter and garlic, then added shrimp and a squeeze of lemon. Served over brown rice (leftover and reheated). All of 10 minutes from fridge to plate, and pretty darned yummy! :)

shrimpandshrooms.jpg
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    BAM BAM BAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dang I keep banging my head trying to get into the screen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Nikkie_too
    Options
    I'm in the mood to cook this weekend... :)

Breakfast was a crustless mushroom, spinach and feta quiche with scallions. I think I overcooked it a bit - the sides were a bit chewy. LOL Still - it turned out very well, considering I winged it. :)

crustlessquiche-lo2.jpg

crustlessquiche-lo.jpg
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    c48fde0e.jpg

Provençal Beef Stew.... Cooking Light

Nice glass of wine and some crusty French bread... Nice simple meal!
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    That quiche looked amazing! and the stew....I am going to try that! I love slow cooker ideas:)

I just made a cheater's baked ziti -- I consider it cheating since I used jarred sauce. I NEVER in my life thought I would ever use sauce from a jar, but Barilla makes two that are amazing -- the Basilica and the roasted garlic. Even one of my friends who spent a lot of time in Italy enjoys those two...
    So I made the ziti with part skim ricotta and mozzarella; I always mix in fresh basil and locatelli to the cheese mixture.
    The best part is it made enough for 12 servings, and two trays went into the freezer for a busy night :)
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    I like their jarred sauce too.... Only one I will use!

I always forget to make extra and freeze....
  • Nikkie_too
    Options
    Excellent stew, my dear! :)

Tonight I made lighter crab cakes from Cook's Illustrated. I did NOT use fake crab, nor did I use canned crab. I bought some giant frozen legs and steamed and shelled them with my own two hands. Yep, I get to keep my foodie card another day! :)

They really are lighter - at 225 calories and 10g of fat, it's not bad at all... but if you're sodium-sensitive, beware! I had no idea crab was so high in sodium on its own! Since I'm weighing in for a challenge tomorrow, I need to curb my sodium a bit today... so only one crabcake for me. Waaah!

They're yummy, and almost entirely crab. Plus, they can be made up to 24 hours ahead and kept in the fridge, then fried up at the last minute. I served them on a bed of kale done in toasted garlic.

crabcakes.jpg
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    Excellent stew, my dear! :)

Tonight I made lighter crab cakes from Cook's Illustrated. I did NOT use fake crab, nor did I use canned crab. I bought some giant frozen legs and steamed and shelled them with my own two hands. Yep, I get to keep my foodie card another day! :)

They really are lighter - at 225 calories and 10g of fat, it's not bad at all... but if you're sodium-sensitive, beware! I had no idea crab was so high in sodium on its own! Since I'm weighing in for a challenge tomorrow, I need to curb my sodium a bit today... so only one crabcake for me. Waaah!

They're yummy, and almost entirely crab. Plus, they can be made up to 24 hours ahead and kept in the fridge, then fried up at the last minute. I served them on a bed of kale done in toasted garlic.

crabcakes.jpg
    I am moving in with you for 6 months then Ms. Loves for 6 months!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Nikkie_too
    Options
    Lunch today was Mmmmmmmm.... clams! I know, kind of extravagant for lunch, but sometimes on Sundays my boyfriend in Germany and I will video-skype and make the same dish (him for dinner +6 hours, and me for lunch). The broth was AMAZING. I was moaning and eating, which was sometimes difficult, let me tell ya! ;)

This recipe came from allrecipes.com, but it's a classic and can be found anywhere I'm sure. I just wish I had a clear-lidded skillet so I could watch the clams pop open without lifting the lid to peek. LOL

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/scott-ures-clams-and-garlic/detail.aspx

clams-lo.jpg
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    Haha garlic7girl... Nikki made those amazing looking crab cakes!

The clams look great too! My husband does that while eating too.... It's how I know my meal was a hit! Hahahaha
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    cee80755.jpg

OMG! Isn't it adorable?!

It's just my Double Chip Pumpkin Muffin recipe but I am thinking I'm going to do my Old Fashioned Cider-Gingerbread one too!