What's Cookin?

Options

Replies

• garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Too cute!!!!!!!!!!!! So how do you like the silicone bake-ware?
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Had to do some adjusting but so far so good! Now to see how the mini gingerbread men turn out!
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Squeeee! Adorable baby-bundt! :)
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    love the baby bundt!

Nikkie - you make way too much yummy seafood for a Canadian girl ;) unless you're a Newfie! If you are, I really hope you're from 'round da bay.

A couple of good ones I have yet to post.

White Chili made with ground Pork. Just the holy trinity, 1lb ground pork, chick peas, wht kidney beans, great northern beans, corn, chicken broth and spices. The first time I made it, I used 1 can of condensed cream soup as was suggested online but this time I didn't have it so I just thickened it with a bit of gravy flour. It tasted WAY better! More flavorful and less salty.

pork_white_chili.jpg

Chicken and Roasted Veg with Summer Berry Reduction Sauce (as Hubby calls it - Fruit Gravy). I think this would be a super fun dinner if we had kids, especially girls bc it's purple :). I roasted the potato, carrot, and cabbage after tossing in a little oil, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakers. I wanted the veg to be a little spicy to off set the sweet gravy. The chicken I cooked covered in a pan with strawberries, blueberries, onion, garlic, and a little chicken broth. When the chicken was cooked, I put the pan remains in the blender to puree, returned to pan, added ~2tbsp brown sugar and heated through until it thickened up.

chickenfruit_gravy.jpg

PS - I reorganized my photobucket folders and I see my pics here are messed up. all well.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    Options
    errr, photobucket!

This is a test

roasted_cabbage_sausage.jpg
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    87bcfe93.jpg

Pork Chops with Country Gravy, Mashed Potatoes and a Brusselsprouts Gratin

Cooking Light
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    Pork chooooooops!
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I gave up white gravy when I left Texas (one of our favorite meals growing up was torn up Mrs. Baird's bread with white gravy on top and loads of pepper--I still get nostalgic for it), but that brussel sprout gratin looks amazing. I will have to check that out.
  • pixlamarque
    Options
    [img]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/pixlamarque/Food Pics/2011-12-12_19-15-55_911.jpg[/img]

Smokey Crock Pot Chili (Cooking Light)

I would make it again, but only with the following changes: 1) I would never use pork shoulder again. Super greasy. I had to suction loads of oil off the top. It makes me wonder if their nutritional info was all that correct. I would use pork tenderloin in its place. Much less fat. 2) I would also add some diced jalapeno to the onion/bell pepper mixture for a little heat. This had a nice flavor, but no heat. I don't think it needs much, just a little. 3) The queso blanco didn't do much for me. I would just use shredded sharp cheddar or similar instead. I just didn't think it added much flavor. 4) I would change the pinto beans to kidney beans and use two cans. There is nothing wrong with pinto beans; I just like red beans in my chili and a little more than what was there.

All that makes it sound like a bad recipe, but it really wasn't. In fact, with those changes it would probably be my go-to chili recipe. I really loved the lime (the sweetie didn't care for it though).
  • pixlamarque
    Options
    Sarah--on your photos, I'm sure you know, but if you change your photo album names it will mess up your links. You will have to go back into each post, delete the old link and post in the new one. A common problem is that if you put a space into the name (such as "Food Photos" instead of "FoodPhotos") of the album, when the link is generated it will usually show that space between words as "%20". The link will not work that way. Once you paste the link, change your "IMG" to "img" as usual and delete the "%20" and insert a space. Once you do that the link should work. You will have to do that every time you copy a link. Not sure if that was your problem or not, but hope it helps.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    Options
    Hey Pix - I did know some of that and I ended up deleting the whole album and re-uploading the photos at least so I could post the new ones and it's still f'ed up! I'm not a fan of photobucket anyway because it seems really slow and buggy. It often freezes on me when I'm trying to edit photos.

Anyone know any other, possible better, photo share sites? I've heard of flickr but no others.
  • Nikkie_too
    Options
    Pix - the chili is simply gorgeous - especially with the corn bread wedge! :)

cranappleporkroast.jpg

This is a pork loin roast rolled with a filling of chili cran-apple relish, glazed turnips and carrots (Cook's Illustrated), and a simple sautee of crimini mushrooms and green onions.

The relish recipe can be found here (The soup is wonderful too!): http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/pumpkin-soup-with-chili-cran-apple-relish-recipe/index.html

The relish was extra from the soup recipe and was simply awesome with the pork! The turnips and carrots were excellent and easy to do - the whole dish is done on the stovetop in a skillet.
  • pixlamarque
    Options
    Nikki--can you believe I have never eaten a turnip? Crazy, I know, but now I'm thinking I might have to give them a try. That makes me think of all the veggies I have never tried. I should get on that.

[img]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/pixlamarque/Food Pics/2011-12-20_19-21-57_679.jpg[/img]

The shepard's pie (Robin Miller's Quick Fix Meals) was just meh. Maybe less than meh. I would not make it again. It had a distinct canned tomato taste (the sweetie picked this weeks' recipes--honestly, it isn't something I ever would have made, just didn't sound good). There are a lot of recipes that sound really good and use more fresh ingredients, this just wasn't it. The balsamic roasted brussel sprouts, on the other hand, were fab-u-lous. Just brussel sprouts, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar with salt and pepper, tossed and roasted. Yum.
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    Love the chili pic!

I make Taste's of Home Shepherds pie and love it! Except I add peas too...

I just had a turnip for the first time here recently... Not impressed but not bad... Is there much nutritional value in them?
  • pixlamarque
    Options
    [img]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/pixlamarque/Food Pics/2011-12-22_08-54-51_348.jpg[/img]

Ok, it isn't cooked, but this is one of my favorite breakfasts lately. Plain Green yogurt with 1 Tbsp. each of wheat germ and honey and 100 grams of strawberries. Next time I need to mix up the berries. Blackberries sound good.

[img]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/pixlamarque/Food Pics/2011-12-24_13-07-15_461.jpg[/img]

Lunch today. Grilled cheese and my homemade version of Whole Food's Broccoli Crunch Salad. It is not a low cal salad by any means (I'm over today, should have just had it for dinner and not at lunch and dinner), but leaving out the cashews wouldn't bother me a bit and if I am just making it for me I cut way back on the bacon. I haven't tried it with turkey bacon. I'm not a huge turkey bacon fan, so I think if I ever make it when I know I need to be skimpy with the calories I would just do broccoli and grapes with the dressing. The grapes are what does it for me anyway.
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    [img]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/pixlamarque/Food Pics/2011-12-22_08-54-51_348.jpg[/img]

Ok, it isn't cooked, but this is one of my favorite breakfasts lately. Plain Green yogurt with 1 Tbsp. each of wheat germ and honey and 100 grams of strawberries. Next time I need to mix up the berries. Blackberries sound good.

[img]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q22/pixlamarque/Food Pics/2011-12-24_13-07-15_461.jpg[/img]

Lunch today. Grilled cheese and my homemade version of Whole Food's Broccoli Crunch Salad. It is not a low cal salad by any means (I'm over today, should have just had it for dinner and not at lunch and dinner), but leaving out the cashews wouldn't bother me a bit and if I am just making it for me I cut way back on the bacon. I haven't tried it with turkey bacon. I'm not a huge turkey bacon fan, so I think if I ever make it when I know I need to be skimpy with the calories I would just do broccoli and grapes with the dressing. The grapes are what does it for me anyway.
    LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    I would like to eat raw broccoli.... Can't stand the crunch! Maybe if I pulverize it!
  • Nikkie_too
    Options
    Lovely pics, Pix! Are you getting decent berries this time of year?

Grilled cheese is always so comfort-foody. :) I'm not a fan of turkey bacon either, and if I recall correctly, there isn't much difference in calories between lovely real bacon and turkey bacon. The difference in the macronutrient ratio with the turkey having more protein and less fat or something. A couple of slices of real bacon pack a big flavor punch, with only 30 calories/slice. Cutting back a bit, as you suggested might be perfect! :) The grapes look awesome there!

Fallenangel - I don't see why you couldn't do that kind of salad with steamed (firm) and cooled broccoli. It'd be less "crunchy", but that's what you're looking for, after all. :)
  • fallenangelloves
    Options
    6f70d23a.jpg

Gnudi (spinach and ricotta dumplings) with Marinara....

Food Network March 2011
  • garlic7girl
    Options
    Looks good