Show us the goods

Options

Replies

• tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    omg!!! what are you gonna do when you run out of weights???? Nice job Chris :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    omg!!! what are you gonna do when you run out of weights???? Nice job Chris :)

Got another 4 20kg plates for my Bday :P Should last a while!
  • tjradd73
    Options
    Got another 4 20kg plates for my Bday :P Should last a while!

awwwwww....*kitten*! LOL I just bought 12.5lb dumbbells for myself and was pretty stoked for that!!!:laugh:
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    hehe, got to start somewhere :happy:
  • tjradd73
    Options
    hehe, got to start somewhere :happy:

hey....when I joined MFP I was using 3lbers!!! :tongue:
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    can you get adjustable ones? Even 12.5lb DB's aren't going to be challenging for any lower body workouts. My sister who I train with has only done a couple of sessions with me and is already barbell back squatting 40kg (88lbs) to below parallel. You can do it!
  • tjradd73
    Options
    I don't use the weights for lower body lifting (as of right now)! I only do Hiit with combo upper and lower body lifts for the biggest cal burns. So think lunges with tricep kickbacks, squats with overhead presses, deadlifts with upright rows, and side lunges with lateral raises. So the 12.5 should last me for a bit with those types of moves!! The weights I HAD were 5lbers...and the new ones I got adjust from 2-12.5 (2-5-7.5-10-12.5)! I will start some heavier lifting moves when I get rid of the rest of this fat...until then Hiit will just have to do :wink:
  • tjradd73
    Options
    thanks for the link Chris, I have read it and have bookmarked it for future reference!!

One question I have though, from this specific paragraph..."If you strength train while eating a normal amount of calories, you will lose the fat on top of your muscle, and leave behind the muscle you already have – giving you that toned look. Make the mistake of just eating less and running more, you’ll burn through both fat and any muscle you have as you lose weight."...it makes perfect sense BUT I do NOT feel that 3000cals/day is "normal" for a woman, yet the blog states this, and states that Staci ate 3000-4000cals/day also!?!?

Otherwise...I may not be doing HEAVY lifting like she is...but I have UPPED my weights, and my workouts AND my cals and protein!! SO...I do feel that I am doing things the right way...just not to the extent that she is, which is ok...because I still have great energy and feel like I eat plenty on most days :bigsmile:
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    "normal" amount of calories is a bit subjective isn't it :P

She had to eat that amount of calories to put on weight. If she had an active job that is quite likely. My friend jennw10 on here is bulking on 150P/413C/60F totalling 2800cals. She weighs 124lbs & lifts heavy stuff :) Her log is here BTW http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=139497073&page=26.

To put on muscle you need to be in calorie surplus, simple as that. I aim for 10-15% above maintenance as this should ensure minimal fat gain with that muscle.

It's all about progressive resistance. We know that certain rep ranges are better for strength, hypertrophy or muscular endurance. If you don't increase the weight then you increase the reps. You increase the reps enough and you move into the muscular endurance category which is not ideal.

Hope that helps :)
  • tjradd73
    Options
    ok...so I will admit that I am NOT scared of "bulking up", as I know that is next to impossible...but I am also not yet ready to start putting weight BACK ON to build up my muscle yet either!!! It has taken me sooo long to finally be at a weight that I am actually somewhat ok with...and that would be counter-productive for my "mind"...if you know what I mean?!

I like being in the catagory of "tiny" right now...and once I get to the number on the scale that I like...and learn to maintain it...I will then start "toning" up my muscles a bit more!

so in other words...yes I do wanna tone, yes I do wanna be fit...and yes I do lilke having the extra energy from working out (which I do now)...BUT I am NOT ok with an increase on the scale just yet :wink:
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Got to do what you think is right for you :)

I personally don't worry about scale numbers so much these days, more BF% readings with calipers. This along with measurements give me a much more accurate picture of what's going on e.g I was 79kg 4 weeks ago with 9mm pinch on abs. I got back from Japan and I was 79.5kg with 14mm pinch. So only half a kg gain but noticably fatter in the gut. That sucked haha
  • tjradd73
    Options
    LOL...that DOES suck!! But seeing all of the yummy food you ate....it could have benn way worse!!

I talked to the manager of one of the gyms out here, and he said that metal calipers are great, but plastic calipers are pieces of junk, and recommended that I get the electronic hand sensor checker instead...what do you think about the options?
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    Metal > plastic > bioimpedance device.

Mine are just plastic ones but as I figure I'm the one measuring each week I can at least be comparable and somewhat accurate. Would like some metal ones though! I only check mm, the %'s that they work out to mean nothing to me.

I also have a handheld bioimpedance device. I've made it change 2% just from drinking a litre of water so I think using one of these is less accurate than mm on calipers.
  • tjradd73
    Options
    sent you a PM...so I could keep pestering JUST you vs everyone else!!:tongue:
  • tjradd73
    Options
    yup....lookin good Chris!!
  • tjradd73
    Options
    my first attempt @ "Camel" pose today...I thought that I did pretty well :happy:

DSC01406.jpg
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    good flexibility!