Hufflepuff Common Room

Options

Replies

• BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,420 Member
    Options
    Hi, Fellow Hufflepuffers!

I just filled in my first entry in the spreadsheet - and I have a question or rwo about that.

I put my Apr 23 weight as the start of Wk 3, gave myself 2 NEWTS ( started to eat two decades-long neglected veggies), 1 OWL for starters (I have been continuously logging since I joined up just over 25 days ago) and 110 HP so far for time spent exercising to date -- 30 mins on Sun and 110 mins on Monday.

SOOOO - since I have continuously logged in since (before) April 23, that means I should have given myself 3 points for that? Plus one more for writing this message?

Also, I didn't put anything in the Starting Weight Column. Should I leave it blank and start with May-Week 1 for that? If something needs to be added, would it be my April 23 weight, or my beginning of April weight? I don't want to skew any statistics for you.

Meow, kitties! (that's Cat for "Ciao, all!)
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Talk about Huffling and Puffing! Tonight at Boot Camp was the monthly Night of 1000 exercises (literally!)

10 rounds of 10 reps each of 10 exercises.

But I got through them all (1 was starting round 10 as the second-slowest recruit FINISHED round 10 - but I DID it!!)

Monthly weights and measures on Thursday.
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Great job BeeJ with the exercise. I would be huffing and puffing too :) I moved your owls and newts over to week 4 (since we have started week 4), but left your weigh in at week 3. It shouldn't skew the data...however I will be the first to admit spreadsheets are not my forte! The OWL is actually meant to get just whenever the message pops up "you have logged in for 25 days" So you only get 1 owl every 5 days, and one owl for every day you post

My town survived the presidential visit...bummed I missed the motorcade roll by as he came in (I could have walked to see it). One of my best friends came to town and I spent the evening with her...too short of a visit! We went to the Melting Pot...a fondue restaurant. Love it! Back to reality today...I already have the day planned out complete with snacks and meals and extra walking.

Have a great day!
  • BMcC9
    Options
    SOOO that makes 2 OWLS for 2 daily postings here ... plus 1 OWL for the "Logged in 30 days" message this morning ... plus one for yesterday's strength training (Boot Camp). I will correct that.

I have actually logged everything I brought / plan to eat today in advance of supper - and it actuall looks to work out right in terms of cals left over for the evening meal! (Too many times I have to have a post-supper snack, just to make the minimum 1200 cals. Trying to eat TOO healthy, I guess! :blushing:

Meow, all
  • Molly_Louise
    Options
    Hi everyone! Sorry I've been absent for the past few days, I've had one busy week to say the least.

Firstly welcome BMcC9. I'm Molly and I am the head of Hufflepuff. I hope you enjoy being in Hufflepuff.

I sent our results off to Bron last night so keep an eye out for those in the Great Hall thread. We did well on house points as usual but due to the majority gaining weight this we we were left with a negative figure for weight loss. Never mind though because it's not about winning and I for one gained weight.

It's been a stressful week for me so I am expecting a gain this weekend. I have had an awful lot of college work to do and I've been really stressed because of it but I am getting there with it. I have 5 weeks of school left so the pressure is on but the end is in sight. I was meant to be at a University interview today, right now in fact, but one of my teachers said I couldn't have an extension on my work for her (I had 5 essays to write for tomorrow, I was given 2 of them on Monday and 3 of them a few days before). I explained that I had an interview for Uni (which I had to prepare for and would need to prioritise over my work) but she still didn't give me an extension and so I was unable to go today. I have just got an email from another one of my teachers saying the teacher who didn't give me an extension won't be in tomorrow as she is ill and so I don't have college. I am really really angry because I could have gone to my interview after all because I won't be in college tomorrow. By the time I got the email I had 5 minutes to get to an interview an hour away so I am devastated. I was so lucky to be offered an interview and while I have been given a place at a different Uni, it is always nice to keep your options open and I could have changed my mind about which one I was going to. I know it's not her fault that's shes ill but she is signed off for the rest of the week with a "virus" but was fine yesterday. Oh, did I mention last week she said she might not be in on Thursday because she's due to move house? That was when I asked her for the extension btw. Then her move was put back and now she's on her death bed with a virus. Sorry for ranting and going on, I'm just really angry.

Anyway on a more positive note I'm going to start marathon training!! Well I'm not going to run a marathon but I am going to do some training as if I was going to. The London marathon was on Sunday and I went on their website to find out about doing one when I came across three 24-week training plans in preparation for running a marathon. They're varying levels and those outside of the UK, I hope you can access the website as it looks like great exercise even if I'm not going to do the marathon. I'll be starting on Monday and I'm doing the beginner plan, so if you want to join me please do. http://www.virginlondonmarathon.com/training-centre/training-advice/training-plans/
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Did I mention that my Boot Camp (2 X 1 hr per week in rolling 4 wk sessions) has its End Of April Fit Test / Weights and Measures Night tonight ?

(Yup, same place as the Night Of 1000 Exercises two nights ago)

There will be a drum-roll with results some time after 8:00 tonight. Stay tuned!
  • carolinagirl7
    Options
    BeeJ...looking forward to hearing your progress Bootcamp classes are intimidating to me yet! (yet I am the girl completing in sprint triathalons...go figure!)
    Molly...Sorry to hear about your school work. Hang tough...graduation is around the corner! Marathon training sounds great! I am going to start a class next week on chi walking to running. It is a technique with walking/running that is supposed to eliminate common runner injuries. I had a one hour intro to the running method...I learned just enough to know, I would have to take the class! The woman that instructs the class looked like she was running on a cloud...I have never seen a runner run like that. She had injuries/pain similar to mine and she was told she would never be able to run again. She is now running marathons and has no plans to stop.

I rode my bike over lunch today...and I "got lost" again on my bike. My 30 minute ride ended up being over an hour (good thing we had an extra long lunch!). I was hoping to grab a quick shower at home before I had to return...Good thing I was a couple of people away from the crowd...on top of sweaty, it started to rain a bit and I was wet as well! So worth it though!
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Using Booty Camp Official Weights & Measures, I am down 3.6 pounds and 5.25" since start of April / 10.6 pounds and 14.75" since Jan 1. (I joined MFP 31 days ago, and am in my first week as a Hufflepuff)

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: YAY ME!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

To clarify about the inches - they measure both upper arms, both upper thighs, and 4 points on the torso (bust, bellybutton, hipbones and butt) So with more points to compare, the inches seem large compared to MFP reporting - I was down 1" EACH on bust, bellybutton and hipbone, and 1.5" from butt. this month.

I am treating the once-a-month Booty Camp figures as my personal "Gold Standard", and in between I go with the differential on my Wii Sunday Morning Weigh In, with a possible correction on the last Thursday of the month. (for example, according to the Wii, I was down 3.5 lbs in three weeks - I will see on Sunday if it thinks I remained the same or went down this past week)

www.bootycampfitness.com is a Canadian franchise that originated in Toronto and is now across Canada.. For women only (sorry, guys:tongue: ) with only women instructors - they do the same kinds of full body calisthenics and cardio as other Boot Camp style classes at the same high intensity, but not pseudo-military "move it, maggot!" shouting in your face. There are always reminders of "This is your work-out - these are the alternate levels of intensity, but push yourself! Do 10% more of what you are able to do! Challenge Yourself!"

I used to think I pushed myself at home with DVDs or EA Sports Active on Hard Settng... I was wrong!
  • BMcC9
    Options
    I just found out from a Friend that one can set additional lines in the "Inches Lost" part of Weigh-In :noway: (makes perfect sense that the capability would be built in - considering the versatility of the "Nutrition Factors Tracked" feature!! :blushing:

So I will be adjusting mine to include all the points covered by Boot Camp Official Measuring (see above post).

I packed all food needed pre-dinner again today .... but never got around to eating the AM Snack because of helping a co-worker. So I am having half of it with Lunch, and will probably have to extend Supper / PM snack (AGAIN!) to get the last of those 1200 cals in me. So pay attention, Hubby! I need an extra ounce of meat and a whole cup of potato (not the half you keep serving me! :bigsmile: )

BeeJ
  • carolinagirl7
    Options
    OWL and NEWT challenges Starting on Sunday 4/29/12

OWL challenge: Add 10 minutes of exercise daily to any activity that you do. For example if you plan a 60 minute workout and go to 70 minutes, give yourself 5 OWLS

NEWT challenge: Let's make sure we start our day off right. For everyday we eat a breakfast that is at least 15-20% of our daily calories, give yourself 5 NEWTS

I will announce prefects Sunday evening to give everyone a chance to update the spreadsheets for the week.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    I have been doing so well at boot camp. and upping the at home step aerobic from 30 to 60, to sometimes 90 mins.

But i noticed I am not as flexible as I was a year ago (not a good state of affairs for a cat :laugh: ) So I dusted off my Wii EA Sports Active, created a new profile, and created a workout that strings all the warm-ups and cool-downs together (16 exercises, takes about 19 minutes). Doing this regularly should help bring the flexibility back.

I also recreated the "1000 Exercises" cycle as close as I could, and plan to create as close to the boot camp "circuit night" as I can, but with on-the-spot sprinting in place of jump-rope.for the cardio element that is every second "station"

The time has come to switch up from step-aerobics only as my non-boot camp staple - but I also signed on for a "lose 5 pounds in May" challenge, so what I replace it with has to be reasonably high energy, so the fat burn stays constant. To pull that off, I have to be upping the ante from the steady 3.5 lbs per month for the past four months.

Neat OWLS and NEWTS by the way. I'll be whipping out the calculator, to see what my breakfast-calorie budget is supposed to be, to earn those NEWTS!

BeeJ
  • BMcC9
    Options
    OWL and NEWT challenges Starting on Sunday 4/29/12

OWL challenge: Add 10 minutes of exercise daily to any activity that you do. For example if you plan a 60 minute workout and go to 70 minutes, give yourself 5 OWLS

NEWT challenge: Let's make sure we start our day off right. For everyday we eat a breakfast that is at least 15-20% of our daily calories, give yourself 5 NEWTS

I will announce prefects Sunday evening to give everyone a chance to update the spreadsheets for the week.

I invented an new breakfast combo this morning, and it looks like a winner - easily portable to eat at the office (no time to eat at home before catching the bus) AND works out to 18% of my daily calories so it is also perfect for the NEWT challenge!

1/2 cup Kashi Cinnamon Harvest cereal, 1/2 cup Astro 1% plain yoghut (plus a sprinkle of cinnamon for extra flavour) and 1/2 cup of fresh blueberries (although any fresh fruit or previously frozen unsweetened berry would probably do for variations.
  • Molly_Louise
    Options
    Hi Hufflepuff!

Sorry I havent been around much this week, I've had a lot of school work but thankfully I am up to date with all but two pieces which I will do on Monday as I don't have sixth from which will be nice.

Thanks Karen for creating the new challenges, I love the breakfast one especially as I don't always get the chance to grab breakfast which I know isn't good, so this will be good for me.

BeeJ, I too have EA Sports Active for the Wii and I do a few days but then lose motivation to do it. How are you keeping yourself motivated with the challenges?

A new month means a new spreadsheet! We have a new spreadsheet which you can access here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArisWe6qmbHrdENZWmNPTVpOT2lzVWlnTS1hdUdTOUE#gid=0. Everyone's names have been copied and pasted from the previous spreadsheet but it's now in alphabetical order, so please check where you are in the list as you may have moved. Please post your weight by Monday as usual in both the current (april) spreadsheet as well as the new one which we will be using from tomorrow. Your end weight for this month is your start weight for the new spreadsheet.

I hope this makes sense and that you're all okay! :)
  • carolinagirl7
    Options
    Keep in mind the challenges are complements of cpa8198 and shreddin_mama this time around.
    Maintained this week. My body has been rebelling since the huge weight loss at the beginning of the month!

BeeJ- Congrats on the bootcamp victory! That breakfast sounds awesome.
    I am stuck on my almond butter before exercise and kashi waffle, greek yogurt and fruit for breakfast. It is more than my 20%, but I have found if I make breakfast meal top heavy, the rest of my day goes better. I like my wii fit as well, I haven't used in awhile though since the weather got nice, I have been outside for much of my exercise.

Molly-Glad to hear you are finally getting caught up. It is amazing how much work there is to do at the end of schooling...you think they would lighten up and give you time to enjoy your last weeks of school before going to uni...but they don't...not here in the US either.

I hope all Hufflepuffs are having a great weekend! Lets get going for those last minute house points!
  • BMcC9
    Options

BeeJ, I too have EA Sports Active for the Wii and I do a few days but then lose motivation to do it. How are you keeping yourself motivated with the challenges?

If you have EA Sports Active, maybe you can explain to me how to meet up online! (maybe arranging exercise dates will help:laugh: like play dates for big people!) Can you think of ANYTHING on EA Sports (1 or 2) that might sub for burpees?

Did you mean the House Challenges, or the EA SPORTS cups?

In terms of Exercise OWLS, I count Boot Camp as strength, and have been checking in here daily (for less than a week) For HP, I have 2 X 60 mins per week Boot Camp, plus have been mostly using Wii Fit Plus for my main exercise time - I can do 30 (or 60 or 90) minutes of Free Step while watching tv or a DVD. (I make the time count by putting the balance board on top of my 6" step bench and BOY do you work up a sweat doing that! Like hiking uphill all the way! But I have been doing that for a while now, and there isn't always anything interesting to watch to pass the time. Plus I noticed that I'm not as flexible as when I did the 90 Day EA Sports challenge.

I like that EA Sports Active lets you build your own routines, so I clumped all the warm-ups and cool-downs into one chain so that I had a Flexibility routine. I will also be building as close to the Boot Camp Circuit Night as possible, with jump-rope replaced by Foot Fires. I am going to try very hard to shed a full 5 pounds in May, so if I am not doing 60 or 90 minutes of 6" step on non-Boot Camp night, it has to be something that pushes me enough to burn comparable cals.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    I'm off to a good start - Breakfast cals at 15% and checking in today before lunch :bigsmile:

I have joined Team Silver for a one-month "Lose 5 Pounds Challenge" I'll keep you informed of how it's going.

Re the new May spreadsheet - if the Hogwarts Week runs from Sat-Sun, I log today's OWLS and/or NEWTS on the May sheet. right? (I'll wait for a reply on this before actually filling in.

carolinagirl7: good to see another Wii Fit user (I sometimes feel it is under-apreciated when I keep seeing all the "I use 30 Day Shed" posts etc on the General boards. Are you Wii Fit or Wii Fit Plus? what choices do you like to use in the off-season?

Up here in Ontario, Canada - the wind is still a bit chilly for consistent outdoor exercise - but I opened the Wii Fit Plus "Island View Course" in Biking last night - next step = opening free-wheeling all over the island!
  • Molly_Louise
    Options
    BeeJ, yes everything today onwards is posted on the May spreadsheet. Please ensure your weight from this weekend is posted on the April spreadsheet too, as the results from the week 4 of that spreadsheet get submitted.

Another wii fit plus user here! The cycling is my favourite and I've also recently unlocked the island view course. I've been unable to complete it, I get about 75-80% complete and then can't find the remaining flags as they're on locations I can't work out how to get to! I'll do it one day though! Haha.
  • carolinagirl7
    Options
    Hufflepuff prefects:

cpa8198
    and
    shreddin_mama

Well done to both of you!

Please message me challenges by next Wed

cpa8198 you can come up with an OWL challenge
    shreddin_mama you can come up with an NEWT challenge
  • BMcC9
    Options
    BeeJ, yes everything today onwards is posted on the May spreadsheet. Please ensure your weight from this weekend is posted on the April spreadsheet too, as the results from the week 4 of that spreadsheet get submitted.

Another wii fit plus user here! The cycling is my favourite and I've also recently unlocked the island view course. I've been unable to complete it, I get about 75-80% complete and then can't find the remaining flags as they're on locations I can't work out how to get to! I'll do it one day though! Haha.

If you ask nicely, I'll tell you where to find a map .... :wink:

Have you been to :

the end of the beach?
    the back of the lighthouse?
    the ruins to the left after you go through the tunnel just past the Beach Hotel?
    up to the "Castle on top of the mountain?
    all through the town?

Once you get through Island view course, you will be able to free-wheel all over the place, and not have to stay on the paths like "Free Run" makes you.
  • carolinagirl7
    Options
    BeeJ I use WII active and Wii fit plus. I like the boxing and cycling the best. I do also enjoy those balance games as well! It is almost getting too hot to be out mid day...ALREADY! The joys of southern living :)

I can't believe my first spring triathlon of the season is in 21 days...At this point I am training light...saving myself for the race. My back is much better, but I can feel it if I have worked too hard the following day. Don't want to do anything to injure anything before the race!
    Hope everyone had a great weekend!