Hufflepuff Common Room

Options

Replies

• BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    Options
    By the way, any advices on how to do the jumping jacks/ rope jumping without feeling a lot of pain on my boobs? I am using two bras at the same time, one specially made for exercising and the other is a normal bra, this has helped me reduce the pain when I jog, but it was useless when I started jumping.

The "low impact version of Jacks" from boot camp is:
    Start with feet together, weight evenly distribted, soft knees (If you can bend knees more while maintaining straight back, even better)

Keep weight on your supporting leg (left to start) and stretch other leg (right to start) to the side and tap with toe (do NOT shift weight to extended leg)

Bring leg back to center / weight to centre and smoothly shift weight to opposite leg and repeat, continuing to alternate sides.

Arms should be at shoulder hight, parallel to the ground, elbows bent so that hands (fists) are centered on chest. As you extend right leg, extend right arm at shoulder hight so that the whole arm is parallel to the ground. As you bring leg back to centre, bend elbow so that fist returns to starting position. Alternate along with the leg.

Sort of like doing "half a jack at a time", but without the jumping part. And your arms don't go above (or below) shoulder height.
  • vasogoma
    vasogoma Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks BeeJ! :)
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday to all Hufflepuffs! Glad Monday is behind me! Jump roping for 5 minutes straight was hard work...must incorporate in more days!

Off to walk the dog and go for a swim. enjoying the last of cool temps and open windows for awhile

BeeJ thanks for posting the modified jumping jack

Vale congrats for discretion over the weekend...I would make sure that you have a bra for high impact activity. Not all sports bras are created equal. I have one from moving comfort and one from champion that I love, and I pick which bra I need depending on whether I am walking, running or biking. Incorporate running slowly, add 15-30 sec intervals of running as your pulse rate returns towards normal! You'll be back in shape in no time if you keep working at it!

Molly Looks like the jubilee celebration is a hit. Caught it on the news as well, Very cool celebration in true royal fashion.

Lisa...having a mind is a good thing! moving more sounds like a great plan!

Suzie great job scraping through the weekend with your parties and food choices, sounds like you had a great time!
  • skinnysuzie
    skinnysuzie Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Good morning, I think I strained something in my knee last night at zumba--think I need a new pair of shoes--I'm thinking my running shoes are not the best choice for zumba--love a reason to shop 8 ) Have a great day everyone.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Happy Tuesday to all Hufflepuffs! Glad Monday is behind me! Jump roping for 5 minutes straight was hard work...must incorporate in more days!

If you managed to "jump rope for 5 minutes straight" (even if it was hard!) you are WAY ahead of me. I am lucky if I do 10 hops in a row before my feet tangle the line (and that's at "school-yard speed", not "boxer super-fast speed". :ohwell:

Does the "five minues" include untangling, or only actual jumping? Or is there a target number of "jumps over the rope" (even if it takes more than 5 minutes to do them all)? :huh:

I want to incorporate more variety this month, but so far I am sticking a little tooo close to the familiar "bench step" (3 X 30 minutes streched over a 3 hr period last night, although 2 X 30 mins tends to be my "norm" on non-boot camp days) But then, Mondays DO have 2 fave shows, (with an hour for Netflix inbetween) and most of the rest of the week's tv i don't care one way or another about (except for the odd Nova offering, and Fridays used to be decent, but neither show I like was on at all last week, so I am wondering if they are in hiatus for the summer :cry: )
  • keyboardwench
    keyboardwench Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Today I decided to go for a run at 11pm, the weather is perfect for that right now (kinda warm yet with enough cold breeze), I finally put my Polar HRM to use and I couldn't believe the numbers it started showing, in less than 5 minutes or jogging my heart rate was already at 204, I practically had to walk super slow and then try again with jogging to keep with the heart rate recommended by my instructor to burn fat. It is official, I am COMPLETELY out of shape xD

Haha I love this about a heart rate monitor. I was that way too. It was awful, I couldn't barely breathe and I'd be jogging at a slow pace wondering why.

Think I'll be going for the big five NEWTs for 60 minutes of cardio tomorrow, that's my usual cardio day along with Saturday. My normal cardio is just a work out video but I think I'll add a walk with the dogs or swim, depending on the weather.

Might as try for those either jumping jacks or jump rope today!
  • BMcC9
    Options
    I have hand weights and resistance tubing available. My boot camp instructor says I had best put extra effort on my whole upper body (including core- front, back and sides)

Anybody have suggestions of routines? or a web-site I could look some up? I don't have / do dvds, but if you list what is ON the DVD I would work from that ....
  • skinnysuzie
    Options
    Yes, I think your untangling time counts towards your total time, I am jump roping at a super slow pace. The first time I jump roped (well besides when I was little), my heart rate quickly climbed to about 170 and so I have backed down my pace quite a bit. The goal is to get our heart rates up, not have them beat right out of our chests. Well, I am off to run.....see you'all tomorrow.
  • carolinagirl7
    Options
    Good Morning!
    I agree completely that as long a heart rate stays up, and you are giving it your best effort, untangling time counts, I did actually make it 1min and 12 sec before I tangled up at my best. My HR was through the roof as well, I figure it can only get better!

BeeJ great goals you have planned for yourself, I look forward to positive progress results!
    Suzie, I hope your foot is feeling better

Karma continued...if the rule of 3's applies, lets take bets as to the 3rd thing to go wrong...(please let it not be the air conditioner!!!) The fridge got delivered, and after my hubby got everything organized, he sat down and the TV wouldn't work...luckily that is still under manufacturer warranty...
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Morning, all. I am still at home (on a weekday no less) because family members are ill and need taking care of (not me - I'm fine).

I just found out how wast and well microwaving turkey bacon works ... so now I have a new workday breakfast option. YAY! (was getting a bit bored with the default setting :laugh: )

It's not raining today (so far), so I hope to try out the skipping again. maybe i can beat my own record of how many skips before i tange :bigsmile:
  • carolinagirl7
    Options
    Happy Friday...I can't believe 3 days of work then off to Vegas! We are going to go see the Cirque du Soleil O show...can't wait...the rest is still up in the air. Good news from my doctor, my cholesterol levels are down. I really think the last read (in December and scary high) was a fluke, but the latest levels are even lower than before the fluke labs, and for the first time my LDL (bad) was below 120 and the HDL (good) was 60. Now to correct that pesky Vit D deficiency she found...LOL I tried to get her to write me out of work on medical leave so I could get lots and lots of sunshine, but she gave me a supplement to take instead!

BeeJ up to a 1:21 my highest skips without tangling up. I find if I really focus I do better, focusing on the clock is how I time myself! I should start counting the jumps!
  • skinnysuzie
    Options
    Happy Friday...I can't believe 3 days of work then off to Vegas! We are going to go see the Cirque du Soleil O show...can't wait...the rest is still up in the air. Good news from my doctor, my cholesterol levels are down. I really think the last read (in December and scary high) was a fluke, but the latest levels are even lower than before the fluke labs, and for the first time my LDL (bad) was below 120 and the HDL (good) was 60. Now to correct that pesky Vit D deficiency she found...LOL I tried to get her to write me out of work on medical leave so I could get lots and lots of sunshine, but she gave me a supplement to take instead!

BeeJ up to a 1:21 my highest skips without tangling up. I find if I really focus I do better, focusing on the clock is how I time myself! I should start counting the jumps!

Ok how about an unofficial challenge--let's all count the number of consecutive jumps we can do without goofing up and see who can get the highest number of jumps in 8 ) --I am pretty sure it won't be me....
  • BMcC9
    Options
    I haulled out my stability ball, and will be checking out online site full of related exercises that can work both core alone and upper-body / core stability combinations.

Even just sitting on it with my feet not touching the floor is good core-endurance training. But I have other things in mind too :wink: Might not be as big a "in the moment" calorie burn, but as I get these muscles better trained, mu resting metabolism will be rising and I will be burning cals more efficiently just by being alive.
  • Molly_Louise
    Molly_Louise Posts: 503
    Options
    Hey guys! Happy Friday!

Sorry I've been quiet for some of this week, it sure has been a busy one. I started a new job on Wednesday and so far it seems okay.

I will be on vacation from the 10th to the 17th of June and so Karen will step up as head of house for the time I am away. However, on the 14th through to the 19th, Karen is also away so there is a period of a few days that the house will have no head of house. After Karen and I spoke, we have decided that it may be beneficial for someone in the house to step up to the role of Head of House briefly for the 3 days we will both be away. Karen is likely to be able to log in while I am not, which is why we are making this decision in case Karen can't access MFP and if someone joins the house, has questions etc. If any individual specifically wants to take on the role then please message myself and/or Karen, though if no one wants the role (which is absolutely fine, as the house will be okay!), then the responsibility will fall to everyone to welcome new members, explain the rules, give links to the spreadsheet and so on.

We're all doing fairly well at the OWLs challenges but not so well on the NEWT challenges. I think we're all finding it fairly hard! I know I am. My sugar in take is a lot higher than it should be and there's only been one occasion I think where more of it was natural than refined, but I am working hard! I'm sure you all are too :)
  • skinnysuzie
    Options
    i am finding it difficult--actually impossible-- to stay under my alloted sugars for the day. I find my breakfast takes up all of my sugars for the day, but I like the convenience of yogurt for breakfast as I can easily eat it in the car on my 40 minute commute to work in the morning, then with a piece of fruit for my mid morning snack--I am over my sugars 8 (....hmmm.....what to do......

Well it is beautiful outside. Hope everyone has a fantastic weekend.

Molly, congratulations on the new job. I would be happy to cover those few days when you and Karen are both gone if she is unable to log in. Just let me know if you need me to, as there may be others also that volunteer.
  • keyboardwench
    keyboardwench Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the new job Molly! That's fantastic.

I'm another person struggling with the sugars here. I never realized how much of it was in everything, this has been real eye opening for me.

Yesterday I had 90g of sugar. 90! Although somehow 58grams were from my banana, raspberries, grapes, greek yogurt, whole wheat spaghetti, bell peppers, potatoes, and cucumbers so I made it to the half allotage of healthy? Yikes never realized how much sugar was in healthy foods. I need to look into more about the effects of too much sugar.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Everyone, keep in mind that the NEWT is merely an AWARENESS challenge, and I will have to double check the way it is written on the spreadsheet, but it is NOT supposed to be the % of CALORIES from good vs bad that gets you points, it is the NUMBER OF ITEMS!

For example, 1 Tim Hortons muffin has more (refinded) sugar :angry: than 3 glasses of 1% milk (with natural lactose) and an apple (natural fructose) :bigsmile:

So that makes 1 "bad sugar" log entry vs 4 "natural/good" sugar log entries. Congratulation, you win a NEWT. :flowerforyou:

Whether or not you go over the "recommended total sugar allowance" is not part of the point-earning. But seeing it is part of the awareness exercise.
  • vasogoma
    vasogoma Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for the lack of activity, I've been a little sick and have been absent from MFP except for just logging what I've been eating and then going back to sleep.I'm much better now, though :)
    During this week I noticed just my milk for breakfast and dinner were enough to make me go over my recommended sugar intake. Oops!
    Happy Sunday to everyone! :)

BTW is it just me or is our spreadsheet going crazy?
  • skinnysuzie
    Options
    Good morning everyone, Well my weight stayed essentially the same (up almost half a pound), and I did more exercise than usual (hoping to make it my usual)--so i am anticipating a nice loss next week 8 ),

Excited --my hubby got my bike up and running--both tires were flat. Now I can start riding again (maybe it was all of Jenns talk that made me want to ride my bike again --), it's probably been 4-5 years since I have ridden it. That's about to change--Ohhhh yea!

Have a great day everyone.
  • skinnysuzie
    Options
    I am so sorry for the lack of activity, I've been a little sick and have been absent from MFP except for just logging what I've been eating and then going back to sleep.I'm much better now, though :)
    During this week I noticed just my milk for breakfast and dinner were enough to make me go over my recommended sugar intake. Oops!
    Happy Sunday to everyone! :)

BTW is it just me or is our spreadsheet going crazy?

Yes, the spreadsheet is "going crazy", I did log in my weekly weight, but did not update newts or owls as I don't want to put them in the wrong column---hopefully Karen will be able to correct this.