Hufflepuff Common Room

Options

Replies

• BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    Options
    For everyone who has been putting anything off (MFP related or just in general)

http://images.google.com/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&q=a+round+tuit&gbv=2&biw=1024&bih=614&sei=VvzhT-XBKYbk0QHM_v3iAw

Let me know how you intend to use yours!
  • skinnysuzie
    skinnysuzie Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I couldn't remember what a Plank was so I looked it up and one of the demos had some comments following.
    The commenter wrote: Me: the plank is easy, no problem

30 seconds later-- Me: OMG!!!

heehee, I thought it looked pretty easy too, but was forwarned by this comment. I guess it is easy, it is just difficult to maintain for any length of time. So simple, but effective.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    I couldn't remember what a Plank was so I looked it up and one of the demos had some comments following.
    The commenter wrote: Me: the plank is easy, no problem

30 seconds later-- Me: OMG!!!

heehee, I thought it looked pretty easy too, but was forwarned by this comment. I guess it is easy, it is just difficult to maintain for any length of time. So simple, but effective.

Yup, it is one of those sneaky static exercises that are simple to get into position, but how long you can hold it is directly proportional to muscle strength (in this case core)

See http://exercise.about.com/od/exerciseworkouts/ss/howtosquat_8.htm for similar static work on the lower body via "wall sits"
  • BMcC9
    Options
    The heatwave has (somewhat) broken, so maybe I can get out my hoop after supper tonight! This has been a bad 10 days or so for me (in terms of special occasion meals keeping turning up under my nose plus excessive heat depleting exercise energy) So the fact that I scored ANY downward change between last Friday and today (a "whopping" 1/4 pound) is a bonus, I suppose ...
  • skinnysuzie
    Options
    Well I didn't quite get the 3 1/2 pounds off from last weekends getaway, only worked out once though, and was 'in the red zone' of my food diary too many times as well. Next week, I am going to work harder and hopefully will get that final 2 lbs off. Persistence will get us there!!!
  • Molly_Louise
    Molly_Louise Posts: 503
    Options
    So sorry I haven't been active this past week, thanks to everyone for keeping the house up!

A 3lb loss this week for me, though I put that down purely to the amount of hours I have been working across my two jobs. My new job I really don't like. My work 'colleagues' aren't very nice to me and I'm left to try and work things out for myself, which would be somewhat okay had I been shown just a little bit of what to do. My manager is very unapproachable too, so I am considering leaving earlier than planned.

If you haven't seen Kelly's post in the Great Hall thread, from July onwards all houses will have the same OWLs and NEWTs challenges and compete against these too. You can find a more detailed post in the Great Hall thread.

Can you believe it's July in a week?!
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Great job with the weight loss Molly! I think it found me! I am finally back on track with eating and exercise from vacation. I have not been following along with the owl and newt challenges, but getting ready to get into the swing of them this week! Have a great week Hufflepuffs!
  • skinnysuzie
    Options
    So sorry I haven't been active this past week, thanks to everyone for keeping the house up!

A 3lb loss this week for me, though I put that down purely to the amount of hours I have been working across my two jobs. My new job I really don't like. My work 'colleagues' aren't very nice to me and I'm left to try and work things out for myself, which would be somewhat okay had I been shown just a little bit of what to do. My manager is very unapproachable too, so I am considering leaving earlier than planned.

If you haven't seen Kelly's post in the Great Hall thread, from July onwards all houses will have the same OWLs and NEWTs challenges and compete against these too. You can find a more detailed post in the Great Hall thread.

Can you believe it's July in a week?!

Thanks for the update Molly, I don't go to the Great Hall as much as I should. Hang in there with the new job. I'll never understand why people are so mean, It's like they hire you to do a job but then want you to fail, a little bit of direction in the beginning does a world of good.

My brother-in-law (43 years old, cholesterol of 73 --with medication) had a heart attack this weekend, He is ok, but it really brings home just how important it is to eat healthy and get regular exercise.

Have a great Monday everyone ((if there is such a thing)) --Suzie
  • cowsstealmythong
    cowsstealmythong Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Good lord. THIS RAIN! I've been getting pounded by Debby. Something like 8 inches in 24 hours.
    Its been impossible to get outside for a walk, so we're going kinda stir crazy inside. Therefore, making it a few ultra lazy days.
    After this all passes, I need to find some SERIOUS motivation and will power.
    Oh, my application for a scholarship to the Y got denied. :(
    Hope everyone is well. <3
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Can't believe I somehow skipped checking in here over the weekend!

It is probably embarasment that - after almost 6 months of Boot Camp and 3 months of MFP food-logging - i am beyond the first flush of "Let's DO this" and losing steam as the reality of just how LONG the Long Haul will be has started to set in :blushing:

I have averaged out to a net loss of ZERO over the 3 weeks of June, and both my food-listings and non-boot camp exercising is becoming increasingly spotty and questionable.

I HAVE to find that thing about "renovating your body is like a major renovation on your house ... EXPECT things to go off schedule or over budjet from time to time - you don't abandon the house-renovation half-way done. Why do the same with your body / life?" It was a wonderful comment on one of the first "I need motivation help" threads I commented on. Wish me luck finding it again! Now I"M the one who needs it! (:flowerforyou: to self)
  • skinnysuzie
    Options

It is probably embarasment that - after almost 6 months of Boot Camp and 3 months of MFP food-logging - i am beyond the first flush of "Let's DO this" and losing steam as the reality of just how LONG the Long Haul will be has started to set in :blushing:

I have averaged out to a net loss of ZERO over the 3 weeks of June, and both my food-listings and non-boot camp exercising is becoming increasingly spotty and questionable.

I HAVE to find that thing about "renovating your body is like a major renovation on your house ... EXPECT things to go off schedule or over budjet from time to time - you don't abandon the house-renovation half-way done. Why do the same with your body / life?" It was a wonderful comment on one of the first "I need motivation help" threads I commented on. Wish me luck finding it again! Now I"M the one who needs it! (:flowerforyou: to self)
  • skinnysuzie
    Options

I HAVE to find that thing about "renovating your body is like a major renovation on your house ... EXPECT things to go off

schedule or over budjet from time to time - you don't abandon the house-renovation half-way done. Why do the same with your

body / life?" It was a wonderful comment on one of the first "I need motivation help" threads I commented on. Wish me luck finding it again! Now I"M the one who needs it! (:flowerforyou: to self)

I am not sure how to copy someone else comment to reply to it. My comment usually runs in with their commentary. Hang in there, now is when the work sets in. Persistence is key. We all have days/weeks when we just don't feel like logging or keeping track of what we are eating, that is why being a part of this community is such a blessing, We help each other through those times. How many times have I heard from someone (not necessarily Here), well I tried to lose weight but I was only losing 1/2 lb a week or a pound a month, will in a years time that would be 12 pounds. You can do it!!
  • BMcC9
    Options

I am not sure how to copy someone else comment to reply to it. My comment usually runs in with their commentary. .....

Try hitting "Quote" again, but pause and look carefully before writing anything. You will see that there is a "Start-Quote" code on a line by itself at the top, and a "Close-Quote" code on its own line at the bottom. If you have nested quotes, there will be pairs within pairs

Start-Quote code
    Start-Quote code
    "What Beej wrote ..... "

/Close-Quote code

"What you wrote .... "

/Close-Quote code

Just make sure the new input you write is BELOW the last /Close-Quote code. Or remove the top and bottom pair so that only "What Beej wrote ... " is between the Quote-codes, and nothing you wrote is, then post. That will undo the nesting-quotes effect.

And thanks for the encouragement .... that's why I'm here ..... to receive as well as give ....
  • skinnysuzie
    Options
    Thank you BMC, love your profile pic. I will play around with that tonight. Have a great day!!
  • skinnysuzie
    Options
    wow!! where is everybody??? Nobody at all signed on in the last 24 hours...hope that means everyone is out enjoying the summer 8 )
  • BMcC9
    Options
    wow!! where is everybody??? Nobody at all signed on in the last 24 hours...hope that means everyone is out enjoying the summer 8 )

I've been wondering the same thing .... are we the only two Hufflepuffs left in the WORLD?!?!?!?! :huh:
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Sorry all...I am still here! Enjoyed the heck out of my cool days this week. Now up over 100 over the weekend...sigh...I hope I can get out on my bike at sunrise...been itching to ride again. Exhausting week, I keep falling asleep before I get something posted! I've stuck to my exercise goals this week and done okay with eating...I still feel vacation weight weighing on me though

BeeJ remember that weight loss occurs in stages and your body needs time to "catch up" before it can start losing again. You have made some incredible progress so far. Stay strong and stay with the plan.
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Some encouraging NSV last night at boot camp. It was Night of 1000 exercises (10 moves - 10 times each - 10 rounds). When we did this at the end of April, 1 was finishing round 9 when the next-slowest were finishing Round 10 ... so I was doing round 10 while everyone else was doing cool-downs.

Last night, I was near the front of the pack for all ten rounds. And for the first 4 rounds or so, my ten burpies were jump-back-to-pike instead of step-back to pike.
  • skinnysuzie
    Options
    Some encouraging NSV last night at boot camp. It was Night of 1000 exercises (10 moves - 10 times each - 10 rounds). When we did this at the end of April, 1 was finishing round 9 when the next-slowest were finishing Round 10 ... so I was doing round 10 while everyone else was doing cool-downs.

Last night, I was near the front of the pack for all ten rounds. And for the first 4 rounds or so, my ten burpies were jump-back-to-pike instead of step-back to pike.

Ok BMc--let's see if this works...I did not see a 'start quote' and '/close quote".. I know Molly said the Owls and Newts are going to be between the houses now....better step up my game. We Huffies want to win!!
  • skinnysuzie
    Options
    Perfect!!! Thanks