Hufflepuff Common Room

Options

Replies

• BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    Options
    Looks like you figured it out. If I had actually put the word quote inside the [ ] in my explanation, it would have activated the "quote subroutine" function.

I will be checking out the spreadsheet to see what the new challenges are myself.
  • cowsstealmythong
    cowsstealmythong Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Quiet common room this week.
    Pretty down in the dumps. TOM is destroying my motivation this week. So back at it as soon as I find where I put my motivation. Perhaps my other pants?

Yoga: I've never tried it, does anyone recommend it?
    And tonight starts my nightly walking (again), whether I want to or not.

BMc, you rock. Just sayin. :)

Stay cool everyone. :)
  • skinnysuzie
    skinnysuzie Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Quiet common room this week.
    Pretty down in the dumps. TOM is destroying my motivation this week. So back at it as soon as I find where I put my motivation. Perhaps my other pants?

Yoga: I've never tried it, does anyone recommend it?
    And tonight starts my nightly walking (again), whether I want to or not.

BMc, you rock. Just sayin. :)

Stay cool everyone. :)

I think you just may find your motivation tonight on your walk, sometimes motivation is a little shy and you may not get a glimpse of it until your 2nd or 3rd time out, but keep your eyes open 8 )
  • skinnysuzie
    Options
    Happy Sunday July 1st, wow where is the summer going?
    I was just wondering if the new challenges are going to be posted here in our house, or if I need to go to the Great Hall to find them (which I haven't done yet). I will do that later, I am off to run before it gets tooo hooot out there--whew, stay cool everyone.
  • Molly_Louise
    Molly_Louise Posts: 503
    Options
    Hello Hufflepuff!! This is going to be a lengthy post, sorry in advance! I will post Hufflepuff relevant things towards the top of the post and my own personal updates towards the latter half :)

I am so sorry for my absence this week. I have been working almost every day and I've been so exhausted because of it, so I have been logging from the MFP meaning I haven't been online to post! I have also had some problems with my laptop but I am getting a new one tomorrow so I will be active once again! I hope you've had a great week, I've missed talking to you all.

Here is the new spreadsheet for July! https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArisWe6qmbHrdFVoLWtFem12THRkSDk2UU95dWpPM1E#gid=0
    You will notice that there are not many names on our spreadsheet anymore. I have made the decision to delete the names of those who have not posted in the common room recently, with recently being on the past 2 pages. I did this because I felt that having their names on the old spreadsheet left a lot of gaps and blank cells, so having the active names on there will make things a lot easier.

If I have deleted your name I have not deleted you from Hufflepuff!! You are more than welcome to re-join us and I understand there will have been reasons for your absence, but please understand I have not deleted you from the Spreadsheet for a malicious reason, purely to make things easier for those of us who are still here. You can simply add your name to the bottom of the spreadsheet (please don't add yourself alphabetically as it may mess things up!) and log as usual.

Also, if you are not entering details into the spreadsheet on any given week, simply leave that cell blank rather than putting " -" in it or anything else like that, as I think that was the thing messing up our spreadsheet.

Can you believe we're already in the seventh month of the year? Next month will mark my 1 year anniversary here on MFP :) Recently I have had a big hair cut! I had long ringlet style hair which I frequently straightened, but about 2 weeks ago I had 6 inches of it cut off and now I have shoulder length straight hair! I also have a fringe (which I googled and discovered is called "bangs" in the US!). It is taking some getting used to, naturally, but I think I like it :) Here are some pictures, of before and after! :)

Before

November 2011 - I'm in the middle
    5.jpg

April 2012 - Left
    4.jpg

May 2012 - Middle
    3.jpg

After

June 2012 - Right
    1.jpg

June 2012 (the same night) - Second from the left
    2.jpg
  • Molly_Louise
    Molly_Louise Posts: 503
    Options
    Okay so I am not sure why both pictures when I am in the middle are huge, but you get the idea! :)
  • skinnysuzie
    Options
    Molly, thanks, I know it must be difficult to do the Hufflepuff HOH things when you are so busy, and just wanted you to know we all appreciate the time and work you put into our house. Your hair cut is adorable, love your 'fringes"
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    No challenges listed on the Great Hall to date.
    Where did the weekend go?? Finishing the last of the laundry now!
    Sorry to drag down the team with my weight this month...I feel like I gained more than what I planned to lose. Had a pretty good week last week...I am confident they will show up at the scales this week!

Lisa...sometimes I walk is just what you need to pull yourself out of the dumps. Go for it!
    Molly...Love the fringes, great pictures
    BeeJ great job with bootcamp, keep it up!

Happy Monday to all Hufflepuffs
  • skinnysuzie
    Options
    No, I didn't see any challenges listed in the Great Hall either 8 ( --will check back later tonight. Hope everyone has a great week! A short one for some of us that are lucky enough to get holidays off. Then I am on vacation next week. Flying out on Saturday to visit my daughter and her honey!
  • BMcC9
    Options
    As a way of doing semi-structured but NOT Aerobic-Step, I bought a second-hand copy of Wii Walk It Out. Tried it out yesterday and today, and really like it.

The music keeps cycling through various paces, (some fast, some slow stroll). You have to keep pace with the song that is on, and the more "record fragments" you collect, the wider the song selection becomes (up to 120 songs altogether). It tracks -among other things, how many steps, how many miles, how many calories burned, and other daily / weekly stats.

So I can be walking rain or shine or heatwave or frost-bite warning. And once I get all 3000+ (or was that 30000+) elements like cars, trees, houses, suspension bridges etc open, I can enjoy the finished landscape, or create a new "player" and start opening everything up all over again.

Oh, and every day, they scatter 7 "rainbow balls" across the island. Find all seven, and a rainbow puts itself in the sky until the next day. I have 6 out of 7 so far today, and am hoping that when I go back in later this afternoon, I still only have one more to find.
  • vasogoma
    vasogoma Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone :D Hope you are enjoying the start of July :) This month is super special, wanna know why? It is my birthday. I will turn 20. This weekend I voted for the first time, things are a little chaotic in Mexico because of the elections and all that.
    Also, one day after my birthday I will participate in my very first race, a 5k one. My brother is coming with me and maybe my boyfriend will tag along also. It is a nocturnal race, which makes it even more amazing.
    Happy monday to everyone! Good luck with your monthly goal :)
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Oh, and every day, they scatter 7 "rainbow balls" across the island. Find all seven, and a rainbow puts itself in the sky until the next day. I have 6 out of 7 so far today, and am hoping that when I go back in later this afternoon, I still only have one more to find.

I found the last piece of the rainbow ... and between my 3 sessions, I clocked an unbelievable 9.4 miles and burned over 900 calories. (VERY A-typical ... not enough hours in the day for this much game-time on a work-day) I still want to get enough time in to cover 15 miles by the end of the week. If that turns out to be easily do-able, I will aim for 20 miles next week.

Happy birthday, vasogoma!
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Made another rainbow yesterday. 3.9 miles in just over 2 hrs (combined time of 2 sessions) .... With Boot Camp in the middle!

And I now have the Zodiac constellation Libra in the sky (permanent - unlike rainbows which you have to re-create each day)

Quite fitting that Libra should be the first, as it is actually my Real Life Zodiac sign!
  • BMcC9
    Options
    Yesterday, I made another rainbow - launched an airship (zeplin-type floating airship) - and completed 5 Zodiac Constellations (how fitting that #2 happened to be Capricorn, my DH's Sign)

All this in three combined sessions that totalled OVER 7 HOURS!! (and that's on a work-day! :huh: ) and over 722 calories burned.

Between Boot Camp class, and some other family chores tonight, I anticipate a "mere" 2 hrs or so before supper and that will be it for tonight ..... or will it? (cue sinister music)
  • cowsstealmythong
    cowsstealmythong Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone had a happy and safe 4th of July (to those who celebrate.) My daughter and I just stayed in. The rest of the family went out on the boat and needed my car to get there. -shrug- there will be more. :)

So, I've been walking or running nightly since the first. I really think I'm getting the hang of it. I'm starting to look forward to 7pm to get out and just do it. (I won't go any earlier from fear of death by heat, and I'm SO not a morning person.) Yesterday I mapped my run (I usually go about 1.5-2 miles a night) and I actually jogged exactly HALF of my 1.5 mile route while doing jogging/walking intervals. I'm SO proud of myself. I'm hoping to be able to jog that in one go (without walking) by the end of the month. :) Need to get some new music on my MP3 player. Dubstep/techno/hard rock are GREAT for running too. lol.
    Still watching what I'm eating (or trying to) yesterday I kinda ate whatever within limits. :)

Thanks Suzie and Karen for the words of encouragement. :)
    Molly. You look great! Lovin the locks!
    BeeJ- you're a freaking work out rock star!
    Vale- happy birthday! :D
  • BMcC9
    Options
    BeeJ- you're a freaking work out rock star!

:blushing: It's not so much that I am a "work rock star" as "I have a new toy" plus "I need to get a life" :laugh: Spending that long walking in place in front of the tv for days on end is almost pathetic from a different point of view :wink:

But thanks for the complement!
  • carolinagirl7
    Options
    Vale Happy Birthday! I hope you had a great day!
    Lisa Great job with the running. I often find music motivates me as well during a workout
    BeeJ great job with the rainbows. Is this on wii fit as well? At least you are moving...inside or out your doing great with your activity. Keep it up!
    Suzie I hope you had a great 4th visiting your family!

Happy belated 4th to my fellow American Hufflepuffs. Lazy day at the pool and made homemade pesto (is there anything better than basil pesto, fresh tomato and mozzeralla cheese sandwiches?) As far as the challenges go for the week...I do a modified squat with a balance ball (shaped like a log) behind my back every other day, and with the sugar challenge...I am a complete failure due to the fruit I eat. I think I have done a decent job this week of keeping the junk sugar within my macro limit which for me is a step in the right direction
    Happy Friday to all!
  • skinnysuzie
    Options
    Vale Happy Birthday! I hope you had a great day!
    Lisa Great job with the running. I often find music motivates me as well during a workout
    BeeJ great job with the rainbows. Is this on wii fit as well? At least you are moving...inside or out your doing great with your activity. Keep it up!
    Suzie I hope you had a great 4th visiting your family!

Happy belated 4th to my fellow American Hufflepuffs. Lazy day at the pool and made homemade pesto (is there anything better than basil pesto, fresh tomato and mozzeralla cheese sandwiches?) As far as the challenges go for the week...I do a modified squat with a balance ball (shaped like a log) behind my back every other day, and with the sugar challenge...I am a complete failure due to the fruit I eat. I think I have done a decent job this week of keeping the junk sugar within my macro limit which for me is a step in the right direction
    Happy Friday to all!

I have been unable to find the Owl and Newt challenges for the week, so haven't been able to do them 8 ( --I haven't looked in the last couple of days, so it's a wash for this week I think. Next week I am on vacation, so will get back to O's and N's when I get back.
  • carolinagirl7
    Options
    I have been unable to find the Owl and Newt challenges for the week, so haven't been able to do them 8 ( --I haven't looked in the last couple of days, so it's a wash for this week I think. Next week I am on vacation, so will get back to O's and N's when I get back.

They were posted on the great hall. Weeks 2 and 3 are posted as well. I thought you were already on vacation! Have a great time!
  • BMcC9
    Options

The rainbows etc are courtesy of Wii Walk It Out game (also available for Playstation, apparently) Here are my "news feed" descriptions on what rainbow making and constellation making are all about:

An explanation about why I keep saying "I'll make you a rainbow" (for those who have not heard about it via various Groups I am in .... I got the Wii Walk It Out game just last week.

Part of the built-in "hook" to keep you coming back is ... every day they scatter 7 coloured balls across the virtual island. When you have "collected" all of them, a rainbow appears in the sky, and stays there until midnight (real time). The next day, you have to "make a rainbow" all over again. One of my private goals is to "make a rainbow" every day for the entire month of July. It only took me about 25-35 minutes yesterday .... then I kept on walking for a grand total of the equivalent of 5 miles.

About "Zodiac" and "constellation" references - a major part of the way Walk It Out works is - you don't just "tour around" (as in Wii Fit Plus Free Wheeling biking for example). You literally affect you environment by "unlocking" trees, fountains, apartment buildings etc.

One long-term "hook" is - they scatter blue balls with a star in the middle (numbers of ball and positions keep changing hour by hour through the day) - each ball is "part of a zodiac constellation" The total # balls needed for any given constellation is probably equivalent to the number of stars that form it (some need more, some need less). As you collect the last piece needed, the constellation appears permanently in the night sky.

Another "hook"is, you don't get to access all 120 songs right off the bat - you have to "collect" record fragments as you are walking around, and your song collection gradually increases – once you reach a critical mass, it becomes worthwhile to considering selecting a sub-set (many to choose from, like “just Girl Singers” or “just techno-club” or “Kiddie Collection” for the junior crowd) Until then, it is better to select “All Songs” so that you have more than 2-3 tunes cycling through.

I know I won't be keeping the same # hours per day after the first week (this isn't exactly high-intensity aerobics - but it wasn't designed to be, either :laugh: ) BUT ..... SO far .... I have traveled more than 25 virtual miles just since Monday. And that doesn't count my marathon 9 miles plus on last Sunday :noway:

:laugh: You can see know why I can say of myself : "Girl, you need to get a LIFE!"