Stage 3

Options

Replies

• annamerrick
    annamerrick Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Did 1B today. Enjoyed the workout, but did anyone else find that they didn't really get their heartrate up like in the other workouts? I never really felt winded or anything, even though I felt I was doing adequate weights. Maybe because it is mostly upper body/back exercises?
    Did 95lbs on the Dead/Rows, 20lb DBs on the partial squat, 80 lbs pulldowns, 25lb plate on back extension, 5lb DB YTWL (tried 10 lbs but that didn't work so good for the Ys and Ts...!)
    And on a somewhat-whiny sidenote, I really wish my gym had something in between 5 and 10 DB for the YTWLs. I can handle the 10's for the Ws and Ls, but not so much for the Ys and Ts.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Did 1B today. Enjoyed the workout, but did anyone else find that they didn't really get their heartrate up like in the other workouts? I never really felt winded or anything, even though I felt I was doing adequate weights. Maybe because it is mostly upper body/back exercises?
    Did 95lbs on the Dead/Rows, 20lb DBs on the partial squat, 80 lbs pulldowns, 25lb plate on back extension, 5lb DB YTWL (tried 10 lbs but that didn't work so good for the Ys and Ts...!)
    And on a somewhat-whiny sidenote, I really wish my gym had something in between 5 and 10 DB for the YTWLs. I can handle the 10's for the Ws and Ls, but not so much for the Ys and Ts.

Yes on the HR thing. I said the EXACT same thing about it probably being due to not working the legs as much.

And that blows that your gym doesn't have anything between 5-10lb dumbells. UGH! Maybe just do more reps with the 5lb'ers?

My gym has ONE set of 27.5 lb dumbbells which is what I use for the incline press. Yesterday, one of the dumbbells was missing. I looked EVERYWHERE for it (and at all the weight others were using) and couldn't find it. I ended up doing 25lbs 10x's. I *may* have been able to go up to 30lb'ers but mentally don't have that confidence yet!
  • worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I did 2A today and I didn't do the full body weight matrix again. I find it so hard to get through the plank and then there is this ****ing BWM waiting for me!

I'm whining. And pouting.

I've considered:
    1. Do 12 of each exercise instead of 24 and work my way up. This seems like I could do it and feel slightly successful.
    2. Do 1 whole set (as written) and then work my way up to a second set.
    3. Cry my way through 2 whole sets no matter how long they take... and go even earlier to the gym.

Otherwise 2A went better than 1A... lifted heavier.
  • annamerrick
    Options

Yes on the HR thing. I said the EXACT same thing about it probably being due to not working the legs as much.

And that blows that your gym doesn't have anything between 5-10lb dumbells. UGH! Maybe just do more reps with the 5lb'ers?

My gym has ONE set of 27.5 lb dumbbells which is what I use for the incline press. Yesterday, one of the dumbbells was missing. I looked EVERYWHERE for it (and at all the weight others were using) and couldn't find it. I ended up doing 25lbs 10x's. I *may* have been able to go up to 30lb'ers but mentally don't have that confidence yet!

Oh, good.....I was hoping I wasn't the only one! The weights in my gym are ALL over the place too.....its SO frustrating! I really don't understand why its so hard to put something back in its place when you're done with it.....today I walked in and on one of the squat racks there was a barbell loaded with 10lb plates. I assumed someone was using it so I went to the other rack. I watched the whole time I was in the room (about 45 min) and no one ever used that loaded barbell. Who just leaves the plates on and walks away?? Clean up after yourself! Clearly this is a hot topic for me....... :)

I'm sure could do 30's for 6 reps if you knocked out 10 reps with 25's! Give it a try next time!
  • annamerrick
    Options
    I did 2A today and I didn't do the full body weight matrix again. I find it so hard to get through the plank and then there is this ****ing BWM waiting for me!

I'm whining. And pouting.

I've considered:
    1. Do 12 of each exercise instead of 24 and work my way up. This seems like I could do it and feel slightly successful.
    2. Do 1 whole set (as written) and then work my way up to a second set.
    3. Cry my way through 2 whole sets no matter how long they take... and go even earlier to the gym.

Otherwise 2A went better than 1A... lifted heavier.

The BWM is the devil! lol....I think all of your options are good, depending on how much time you have to spend. I think you'll improvements very quickly if you choose to decrease the number of reps.
    Great job increasing your weights!! :)
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I also power through the ab section as a super set. I rest for about 1 min after I finish all 4 exercises. I've enjoyed reading the Stage 3 stuff as I get ready for stage 5.

I did that too-only because I was rushed, but it seemed to work out better. I'd rather save those long rests for when I really need them. :)
  • mstawnya
    Options

Super woman! How do you hold the DBs when you do the partial leg squats? I don't think my balance is there yet.
  • jnh17
    Options

Oh, good.....I was hoping I wasn't the only one! The weights in my gym are ALL over the place too.....its SO frustrating! I really don't understand why its so hard to put something back in its place when you're done with it.....today I walked in and on one of the squat racks there was a barbell loaded with 10lb plates. I assumed someone was using it so I went to the other rack. I watched the whole time I was in the room (about 45 min) and no one ever used that loaded barbell. Who just leaves the plates on and walks away?? Clean up after yourself! Clearly this is a hot topic for me....... :)

I'm sure could do 30's for 6 reps if you knocked out 10 reps with 25's! Give it a try next time!

You are preaching to the choir. I have seriously been this close (my finger and thumb are REALLY close together as I'm typing this ;)) to absolutely going balistic about not reracking weight. Biggest pet peeve EVER. I just imagine everyone dropping their weights all at once to turn and look at the crazy woman (me) yelling at some muscle head that I don't get paid to rerack his 500lbs that he "squats" half an inch in between sets of flexing in the mirror (can you tell I've rehearsed this?). Hahaha!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options

You are preaching to the choir. I have seriously been this close (my finger and thumb are REALLY close together as I'm typing this ;)) to absolutely going balistic about not reracking weight. Biggest pet peeve EVER. I just imagine everyone dropping their weights all at once to turn and look at the crazy woman (me) yelling at some muscle head that I don't get paid to rerack his 500lbs that he "squats" half an inch in between sets of flexing in the mirror (can you tell I've rehearsed this?). Hahaha!
    I think we can all agree on this one, and let's be sexist here. WHY CAN'T MEN PUT STUFF BACK!? I waste so much time at the gym just looking for my dbs. THere are three sets of 20's and 2 sets of 15's and I can never find either. :mad: I really like the idea of just increasing the reps when you can't find what you need. good one.
  • annamerrick
    Options

Super woman! How do you hold the DBs when you do the partial leg squats? I don't think my balance is there yet.

Thanks! :) I just hold the weights down at my sides. I actually think it helps me with my balance....kind of weighs me down so I don't wobble too much.
  • annamerrick
    Options

I think we can all agree on this one, and let's be sexist here. WHY CAN'T MEN PUT STUFF BACK!? I waste so much time at the gym just looking for my dbs. THere are three sets of 20's and 2 sets of 15's and I can never find either. :mad: I really like the idea of just increasing the reps when you can't find what you need. good one.

LOL @ jnh and samntha....we could just start a group for women who need to vent about men not putting s*** away....in and out of the gym. I could probably go on forever (I live with 3 of them...! :) )
  • austelle
    austelle Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone's suggestions on rest time, I ditched the 105 seconds of rest in between sets and just let my heart rate slow down a little instead. I also took no rest in between ab sets. It was great! Cut my workout down to about 1 1/2 hrs. That body weight matrix is a killer...I banged it out though....barely. When I get to those jump squats at the end my body is all like, REALLY??
    I kinda like the way my legs are looking while I do the squats though. I can see definition and muscle...no more chicken legs :)
  • jnh17
    Options
    Thanks to everyone's suggestions on rest time, I ditched the 105 seconds of rest in between sets and just let my heart rate slow down a little instead. I also took no rest in between ab sets. It was great! Cut my workout down to about 1 1/2 hrs. That body weight matrix is a killer...I banged it out though....barely. When I get to those jump squats at the end my body is all like, REALLY??
    I kinda like the way my legs are looking while I do the squats though. I can see definition and muscle...no more chicken legs :)

Just got back from this workout. WAY better! I didn't feel like I was standing around the whole time. I actually just rested about 60 seconds in between each set and did the ab work with no rests (well, except after the 3 sets of each). I finished in about 44 minutes and had time to do my HIIT without feeling like I was SO late for work.
  • mstawnya
    Options

Thanks! :) I just hold the weights down at my sides. I actually think it helps me with my balance....kind of weighs me down so I don't wobble too much.

Thanks! I'm gonna try that next week.
  • mstawnya
    Options
    So, I had no idea how to get past the 25 lb. DBs for the incline press so I was doing 10 reps. Today, I made the leap to 30 lb. DBs and did it! I was so excited! Then I hopped off the bench, swung my leg around it and smacked my shin. Ouch! Limped my DBs back to the shelf and now have a lame bruise.
  • cpa8198
    cpa8198 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies... I'm starting Stage 3 tonight after a week and a half break. Wish me luck!
  • jnh17
    Options
    Hi ladies... I'm starting Stage 3 tonight after a week and a half break. Wish me luck!

Kill that BWM tonight!

I saw some woman doing jump lunges with 10lb dumbbells today at the gym. I instantly hated her for making it look so easy. Sure, she wasn't doing it right after 24 squats/regular lunges but it was so text book perfect. Still jealous!
  • austelle
    austelle Posts: 108 Member
    Options

Welcome to stage 3 and good luck! Enjoy the body weight matrix and the next week of incredible DOMS you'll be experiencing....just kidding...not really :)
  • autumn_mix
    autumn_mix Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    So earlier this week, My fiance joined me doing the last BWM...and he was DEAD TIRED. My super-fit boxing phenom of a fiance was SUCKING WIND, ladies. Alas, we do not exaggerate our torture! :drinker:
  • worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    So earlier this week, My fiance joined me doing the last BWM...and he was DEAD TIRED. My super-fit boxing phenom of a fiance was SUCKING WIND, ladies. Alas, we do not exaggerate our torture! :drinker:

Always nice to have another point of reference!!!