Stage 3

Options

Replies

• austelle
    austelle Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh FINALLY finished this stage. So glad to be done with it. Though I can't say I'm looking forward to stage 4. I'm considering breaking and doing a personal workout a friend wrote up for me. I want more strength and I feel held back in pursuing what I really wanna be doing. But...crap....I started to really see results during this stage in terms of body composition. So...I'm in a dilemma.

Just do it, Dizzle. ;)
  • autumn_mix
    autumn_mix Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I added weight to the single leg squats - I held dumbbells in each hand. Not sure if we're supposed to, but I'm not sure how else to get a burn on only 6 reps.

I feel like the deadlift/row combos are tricky, I keep messing up when to count each rep. So I started thinking about it like: alright, just do a deadlift, then lean over until the bar is below my knees, pump up (row) the bar into my chest and back down, and then deadlift again. Repeat. I totally screwed up the count though, like every set.

Had to do yesterday's HIIT today since I didn't get to it before the gym closed and I was crazy beat after weightlifting. Kicks my *kitten* every time!
  • austelle
    Options
    Today's A workout was wierded out by the storm. ... I go to a 24 hr gym and of course, on Sunday evening it was dead in there. Then a storm hit and the power went out during the planks and then again during the body weight matrix...I drove home in pouring rain and there was a tree down across the road...yikes! I much prefer the gym when the lights are on and other people are working out too...
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Today's A workout was wierded out by the storm. ... I go to a 24 hr gym and of course, on Sunday evening it was dead in there. Then a storm hit and the power went out during the planks and then again during the body weight matrix...I drove home in pouring rain and there was a tree down across the road...yikes! I much prefer the gym when the lights are on and other people are working out too...

At least you weren't doing intervals on the treadmill! Ugh...that's always been a fear of mine! :noway:

I was pretty pleased with my BWM during Friday's workout. I actually did lunge jumps halfway decently! I workout at 24 hr fitness and for some reason, it was PACKED during my workout. I normally do stuff that requires lighter weights, planks, pushups, etc in the group x room (the one that looks like a dance room with all the mirrors and stuff) but it was packed too. Not that there wasn't room for me to do the BWM but I look like a freak so I snuck into the cycling room (which has opaque glass too -- win!) and felt much more comfortable since absolutely nobody could see -- unless there were cameras but mentally I'm assuming there aren't.

I'm just having a hard time doing Stage 3 in a decent amount of time. Friday, my nanny was sick so I was off and was able to do 2A completely by the book and it took me a GOOD 90-100 minutes! That resting for 105 seconds is tough. I know we're only doing 6 reps which means pretty serious weight and then 105 seconds enables us to do 3 sets at that heavy weight, but still!
  • worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Only lifted once last week and I'm announcing here that I'll get back on the wagon this week!

My kids are now off school for the summer. My schedule needs an overhaul and I'm not sure how lifting will fit in.

I think I will try to hit the gym at 7am so that I can go before dh goes to work. I know some people do that everyday but I'm not one of those people :laugh: :cry: :laugh: :cry:
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Finally joining you lovelies over here in Stage 3. My God, that body weight matrix almost killed me today-I literally had the shakes after the 2nd round. Ugh.

Starting weights:
    One armed DB snatch-started with a 25 lb. DB and went up to a 30. That felt good.

DB Single Leg Romanian Deadlift-used two 20 lb. DBs. Was off on my right foot, but the left felt good. Would y'all stay with that weight or increase on only the left side?

Barbell Bent Over Row-started with 55 lbs, went up to 65 lbs, ended with 85 lbs.-I felt like my form was a little compromised with that increase, should have went to 75.

DB single arm overhead squat-used a 30 lb. and 15 lb. DB. The thought of going to 17. 5 and 35 is pretty scary.

Incline Bench Press-used two 25 lb. DBs- that was perfect for me!

Plank- did 2 min., 90 sec. then 2 min. again. Tough!

Reverse Wood Chop-I felt like I was doing these wrong-when I pulled the rope handle up, it kept rubbing my shoulder. 30 lbs. was good.

BWM: 2:35, 2:37-and then I had to sit down until the shakes subsided. Good Lord!

Oh-and did this workout seem to take forever or what? I reset my watch to time the matrix, but was in the gym for almost 2 hours!
  • austelle
    Options
    hey mstawnya, welcome to stage 3. You are doing the body weight matrix so fast! Congrats. I have done it twice and it just about kills me every time...

Agreed on the lengthy workout. It takes me about 2 hours also.
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Did my first workout tonight... Question? Really necessary to wait the 105 seconds between sets? I could tell with the increased weight that I needed more of a rest but 105 is a long time!!! What is the harm in shortening the rest period to say 75 sec like stage 2?
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    Rest enough so your heart rate comes and you catch your breath. I did about 60 sec in stage three, but I need the 90 in stage 4. apparently the structured breaks are a thing of the past in his new I've heard.

As for the bent/row: holding barbell, you bend at the hips until the bb is at your knees, then pull it into your chest, drop back to the knees and return to standing position.
  • jnh17
    Options
    Did my first workout tonight... Question? Really necessary to wait the 105 seconds between sets? I could tell with the increased weight that I needed more of a rest but 105 is a long time!!! What is the harm in shortening the rest period to say 75 sec like stage 2?

Both of these workouts take forever. Plus, I don't get as winded either. Normally I'm completely soaked with sweat. I'm wondering if it's because Stage 3 isn't very leg intensive like stage 2 (ALL those variations of lunges)? I hate it because I just don't have time to do HIIT the same day and I REALLY want to do it directly after lifting. I"m doing it today which is much better than nothing, but still. On the A workouts, I just suck it up and take a long (LONG) lunch because I'm sure the BWM would be a piece of cake (okay, maybe not THAT easy) if I were completely fresh.

I took 60 seconds for my B wokout yesterday and I was still in the gym for an hour.

BTW I absolutely hate the single leg squats. Never felt so awkward in my life.

And Mrs. T, with the single leg RDL, I would NOT use 2 different weights. Sidenote, I really LIKE this lift!
  • samntha14
    Options
    If you do the single leg squat from the top of a bench, you great range of motion stability and easier to increase weight.
  • HisChild2011
    HisChild2011 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Starting stage 3 over tomorrow with you guys. Had a break due to some health issues. Here I come BWM!
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Rest enough so your heart rate comes and you catch your breath. I did about 60 sec in stage three, but I need the 90 in stage 4. apparently the structured breaks are a thing of the past in his new I've heard.

I agree with Samantha. I have never actually timed the rest periods. I use my HRM and when my HR is back down to a normal range, I move on to the next exercise and I actually don't rest between the ab movements at all because my HR doesn't get up that high and that helps cut out some the time length.
  • Jessica1274
    Jessica1274 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I have never had knee issues until this stage. My right knee started to feel weird. I think it is the ligament that crosses the knee. I'm going to see an ortho in a couple weeks. I wanted to get it seen about before it's a problem, because I do NOT want to mess up my lifting. In the meantime, I decided not to do the one-leg squat and lunges, as those really seem to aggravate the problem. :(
  • worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Did 1B today!
    Actually I only had 45 minutes available in parking so I rushed it and got everything in except the prone cobras and the intervals. I did the prone cobras when I got home (20 minutes later) and I'll get on the treadmill later.

I still miss the basic squats and deadlifts from stage 1. The YTWL is killer but you should have seen me crank out those prone jackknives today - woot!

Edit to say that I only rest as long as I need to as well. I don't rest in the ab exercises until the end of the series then I rest a bit and do them all again.
  • annamerrick
    annamerrick Posts: 78 Member
    Options

I agree with Samantha. I have never actually timed the rest periods. I use my HRM and when my HR is back down to a normal range, I move on to the next exercise and I actually don't rest between the ab movements at all because my HR doesn't get up that high and that helps cut out some the time length.

HELLO STAGE 3! Did 1A today and I have to admit that I kind of liked it (except for the BWM, of course, that is just pure evil!) Glad to see others' opinions on rest time. 105 seconds is just TOO long! I'm resting around 75 seconds but also going by my heart rate/breath.
  • jnh17
    Options

Edit to say that I only rest as long as I need to as well. I don't rest in the ab exercises until the end of the series then I rest a bit and do them all again.

This is a good idea. I may do this for my 2 remaining A exercises. I was giving myself 60 seconds in between but that adds up to a LOT of time with THREE seperate ab exercises!
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Starting stage 3 over tomorrow with you guys. Had a break due to some health issues. Here I come BWM!
    Welcome back!
  • samntha14
    Options
    I also power through the ab section as a super set. I rest for about 1 min after I finish all 4 exercises. I've enjoyed reading the Stage 3 stuff as I get ready for stage 5.
  • jnh17
    Options
    Got down to 2:38 on the BWM yesterday. I went directly to my car afterwards (should have walked on the treadmill for a bit but wanted to get back to the fam) and it took me a GOOD 20 minutes before I recovered enough to be able to talk on the phone. Hahaha!