Stage 3

Options

Replies

• manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Jnh, you can do it. Your first BWM might have a high time. Don't worry about that. Just get through it what you can. I did and by the 3rd workout , my time was down to 3:40 (guesstimating don't have my book).

His Child, welcome to stage 3. Start out with what you can but I bet you'll be surprised at what you can do.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    All right, finished Stage 3 this morning. Here are the results (keep in mind my heaviest dumbbell is 25 lbs and I probably could have gone heavier on some of these) No inches lost, but my clothes are fitting better, can't quite figure that one out.

Workout A
    Snatch - 25 < 25 (definitely could have gone up on these)
    single leg deadlift - 20 < 25
    bent over row - 65 < 80
    single arm o/h squat - 10/20 < 20/25
    incline press - 20 < 25
    plank - actually got more dificult I think because I was pushing so hard with my weights
    woodchop - 10 < 30

Workout B
    deadlift row - 70 <75
    partial leg squat - BW < 25
    lat pulldown - 70 < 75 (I really struggle with these, don't know if it's because I don't have anything to put my legs under)
    back extension - don't have this equipment at home, did cobra and tried the swiss ball with body weight only
    YTWL - 8 < 10
    Ab exercises - too easy, but did them all

I'm off for vacation then will start Stage 4 when I get back.
  • HisChild2011
    HisChild2011 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Well then! I liked stage 3...except for the fact that I feel like I was at the gym forever!!!! Did workout A and felt pretty good about it. didn't lose all my stregth while doin cardio :) I did feel really awkward doin that dumbbell snatch thing. Maybe I'm not doin it right, but I have no iea what muscles I was workin and why. But anyway - also felt awkward doin that one where you squat with one arm in the air and the other one hanging??? Weird - but forge ahead I shall! Legs were shaky after the BWM but I loved it! I need to get my bottom half workin :)

Have a great friday everyone! And congrats on finishing stage 3 jennie!!!!!
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    Hello all. Will be starting Stage 3 next week. Am I excited? Heck ya!
  • manic4titans
    Options

Hello, Kel! I only have one more workout of stage 3 which I should complete tomorrow.

I am feeling pretty tight tonight. I don't notice it until I am sitting. Maybe that 30 minute jog on the treadmill was not a good idea today. NAH! Glad I did it. :happy: gotta burn this fat off
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options

I start Monday too :). I am so, so sore from my workout yesterday. I'm excited to be moving on and still with the program but I hate the first couple of workouts of a new stage b/c I feel like a complete reject the whole time. Hahaha!
  • manic4titans
    Options
    I finished stage 3 on Saturday and took after pics. My hips and thighs have not changed but from the very first stage until now I see small changes in the abdominal area.

Here are my results.

one armed dumb bell snatch 10>17.5 (I could not finish all sets with the 17.5 BUT I got up there )
    Single leg Romanian dead lift 15>25
    barbell bent over row 45>70
    squat shoulder press (in lieu of single arm squat) 3>10
    incline bench press 12>22.5
    reverse wood chop 12.5>17.5
    planks 75 seconds was my best
    BWM 3:40 (not sure if that is accurate because my other times are greater than 4 minutes but that's what I have written down.)

Barbell Romanian dead lift 45>85
    squats (in lieu of partial leg ) 50 pounds . Due to the nerve damage, I can not hold the oly bar on my trap so I throw dumb bells up on my shoulder.
    wide grip lat pull 72>84 (not at all times)
    back extension BW> 22.5
    YTWL standing 3>10
    swissball crunch 10 lb overhead to 22.5 (2 sets )
    prone jackknife and lateral flexion
    corbra 90 secs
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    great numbers Maniac and welcome to stage 4. I need more people over there :)
  • jnh17
    Options
    Finished my first A workout. I hate first workouts because I never know just where I need to be weight wise. I need to bump up on everything but I'm glad I didn't exhaust myself because the BWM made me want to give up, gain weight, and live happily obese forever. OMG! I just absolutely could not do a jump squat to save my life. I think my cooridination isn't that great PLUS it being the 3rd move in that series. I just kinda tried to jump, I guess. Ugh! I hate not being able to do it textbook style!
  • austelle
    austelle Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hey folks! Manic, sorry to see you go...I guess I took too long of a break and you are WAY ahead of me now ;) I'm so glad you are experiencing some strength increases!

I did 3 A for the first time today. What a bunch of strange exercises! I liked it though. The body weight matrix was a killer and I felt like I was going to barf afterwards. I literally hobbled out to my car...my legs STILL aren't working properly.

snatch 20
    deadlift 25
    incline press 20
    barbell row 65
    woodchop 40
    ...can't remember the others...
    its been almost 3 weeks since I lifted. it is good to be back!
  • autumn_mix
    autumn_mix Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Just started Stage 3 today, but MAN. Workout A was a mess!

Just some background, I have a lumbar herniated disc (tailbone) from a running injury in January. The only thing that causes pain is after a run, sitting on hard things, and sometimes lifting when it involves switching weight between my feet (if the weight is heavy enough). Stages I and II didn't really give me any problems. Only the reverse lunges from a box with forward reach were not gonna happen. Other than that things were great.

...But today was not so good. =(

I could not do the Dumbell Single-Leg Romanian Deadlifts. I am worried I am doing them wrong, I felt pretty silly for the first two reps, and then it hurt so I stopped. I substituted with Overhead Shoulder Presses from Stage I. Not sure if that was the best substitution, but I was in a pinch!

The usual late-night meathead crew was totally hogging both adjustable cables, so I didn't get to try the reverse wood chops. Will have to double up next time!

AND the bodyweight matrix?! HAHAHA. Oh man, that was terrible. The regular squats were great. The regular lunges hurt a bit. The jump squats totally winded me. And the jump lunges? Absolutely painful! Couldn't even do two! Did some extra regular lunges instead.

All I can say is, holy crap. The good news is that the dumbbell snatches (30lbs) and the bench presses (60lbs) make me feel like a superhero, so I will definitely keep at it! There was a guy on the bench next to me who was doing the same incline bench presses but with two 25lb dumbbells...beat him! Bwa ha ha ha! =)
  • jnh17
    Options
    Hi everyone! Just started Stage 3 today, but MAN. Workout A was a mess!

Just some background, I have a lumbar herniated disc (tailbone) from a running injury in January. The only thing that causes pain is after a run, sitting on hard things, and sometimes lifting when it involves switching weight between my feet (if the weight is heavy enough). Stages I and II didn't really give me any problems. Only the reverse lunges from a box with forward reach were not gonna happen. Other than that things were great.

...But today was not so good. =(

I could not do the Dumbell Single-Leg Romanian Deadlifts. I am worried I am doing them wrong, I felt pretty silly for the first two reps, and then it hurt so I stopped. I substituted with Overhead Shoulder Presses from Stage I. Not sure if that was the best substitution, but I was in a pinch!

The usual late-night meathead crew was totally hogging both adjustable cables, so I didn't get to try the reverse wood chops. Will have to double up next time!

AND the bodyweight matrix?! HAHAHA. Oh man, that was terrible. The regular squats were great. The regular lunges hurt a bit. The jump squats totally winded me. And the jump lunges? Absolutely painful! Couldn't even do two! Did some extra regular lunges instead.

All I can say is, holy crap. The good news is that the dumbbell snatches (30lbs) and the bench presses (60lbs) make me feel like a superhero, so I will definitely keep at it! There was a guy on the bench next to me who was doing the same incline bench presses but with two 25lb dumbbells...beat him! Bwa ha ha ha! =)

I commented earlier that I couldn't do the jump squats but I was just post workout and *meant* to say jump lunges. I put a hop in there but it was the sloppiest looking thing I've ever done. I went home after work (I work out at lunch) and tried to do them just by themselves and besides my back shoe coming off, I did it. So in conclusion, I'm basically not fit enough to do them after a workout and on the heels of 24 squats and regular lunges.

Oh and I'd sub regular deadlifts for the single leg romanian ones if physically I couldn't do them. I liked them and even though I did them with 15lbs (each hand), I can feel them today.
  • manic4titans
    Options
    I never mastered the jump lunges besides I don't think if I did I could do them with the regular squats, lunges , and jumping squats. When I did the high step walking lunges, I thought I was gonna pass out from it all.

Austelle, glad you are back in the swing of things. I need to take a break sometime. I had a "life got in the way" break a couple weeks ago. I went 6 days without lifting. Planning a break seems nicer for me. At least , I can enjoy the break instead of thinking "I need to get to the gym."
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh FINALLY finished this stage. So glad to be done with it. Though I can't say I'm looking forward to stage 4. I'm considering breaking and doing a personal workout a friend wrote up for me. I want more strength and I feel held back in pursuing what I really wanna be doing. But...crap....I started to really see results during this stage in terms of body composition. So...I'm in a dilemma.

Okay, here are my numbers. I feel like I didn't make much progress from start to finish either...kinda bothered by that but I know without having heavier dumbbells, I was limited to what I could with up to 25 lbs. :/

WO A:
    -One-armed DB snatch: 25# - 25# (see comment above)
    -I also decided to add in traditional deadlifts to this workout to really toast my hamstrings and booty - I started this in workout 3 - so I started at 115 lbs (where I think I left off the last this stage called for them) and ended up at 155 lbs (my goal was to reach my bodyweight by the end of NROL and I did it halfway through - VERY happy about this!)
    -DB single leg Romanian DLs: 25# DBs each hand (I really love these!)
    -Barbell bent-over row: 65# - 85# and hit a wall
    -DB single-arm overhead squat: 15/25 - 20/25
    -DB incline bench press: 25 DBs (I was really ticked about being limited here!)
    -Plank: 75 secs - 90 secs for all three
    -Rev wood chop - 25# DB

BWM - slowest was 3:51, fastest was 2:40.

WO B:
    -BB romanian DL w/bent-over row: 85# - 85# (just couldn't break through this wall)
    -Single let squat - did as written for the first workout but then these were just too easy and I wasn't getting anything from them so I started doing traditional low bar squats again - started at 115# and ended at 135#
    -Wide-grip lat pulldown: 93# - 103#
    -Added in overhead shoulder press here to try to beef up the workout - just did the BB and then 2 25# DBs
    -Did prone cobra for back extension since I work out at home, 90 secs
    -YTWL - my nemesis, hated this - 5# - 8# on the incline bench at 30 deg. Couldn't get to 10# with good form as I kept slipping off my padded bench. And bruised my knees every time. :/
    -Subbed out swiss ball crunch and used my powertec ab bench with 20 lbs on it for 3 sets of 20
    -Hip flexion - went with reverse incline crunches as written
    -later flexion - went with prone jackknife for 3 sets of 10-15

So I kinda modified the workouts just a wee bit by trying to make them a little more challenging when possible but not overdo it. Glad to be done and ticked that I couldn't get Selecttechs during this phase.
  • jnh17
    Options
    Quick question - I can't tell by the description in the book what the difference is in a regular bent over row, and an barbell romanian deadlift/bent-over row? It looks like there is no deadlift accept the very first initial lift of the barbell (like any bent over row would involve)?
  • worthyofchange
    worthyofchange Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!
    Did Stage 3 1A this morning. What a wacky group of exericses! People in the gym must have wondered where I came up with those? But I did have the book with me because I couldn't remember them on my own :tongue:

Awkward. The whole thing.
    I could only do 3 sets of 45 second planks and one body matrix (holy hell).
    Always good to have some room for improvement :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jnh17
    Options
    Quick question - I can't tell by the description in the book what the difference is in a regular bent over row, and an barbell romanian deadlift/bent-over row? It looks like there is no deadlift accept the very first initial lift of the barbell (like any bent over row would involve)?

Okay, I figured it out before my workout today. I actually really liked it but wasn't really fond of the workout as a whole for some reason. Maybe because of those single leg squats. Um...I hate those. They're super awkward :|. Plus, it took me forever to get through it! I didn't have time for intervals (which I'm disappointed about b/c I like to do them after the workout when I'm completely spent). I'll have to do them tomorrow by themselves. I can really push myself since I won't be so tired so I guess that's a win!
  • jnh17
    Options
    Hey everyone!
    Did Stage 3 1A this morning. What a wacky group of exericses! People in the gym must have wondered where I came up with those? But I did have the book with me because I couldn't remember them on my own :tongue:

Awkward. The whole thing.
    I could only do 3 sets of 45 second planks and one body matrix (holy hell).
    Always good to have some room for improvement :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I've never done planks before this program and was totally stoked to get 3 sets of 60 seconds BUT I did do the whole rest for as long as you planked and then finish the specified amount of time (90 seconds) so I actually did 6 sets (60/30; 60/30; 60/30). I'm sure people think I have a planking fetish at this point.
  • autumn_mix
    autumn_mix Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was confused by the Deadlift/Bent over row combo, too, but I think I got it. I could do a heavier weight than I could with just the regular bent over rows than I did in Stage I, so that felt good. OHMAGOD the single leg squats were killer! I also didn't have time to finish HIIT yesterday before the gym closed, so I will have to make up that session tonight. I was beat, too!

The YTWL's were hysterical! I had to go get the 8lb dumbbells from the senior's circuit room to be able to do it. Definitely feeling those today!
  • austelle
    austelle Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I just did Workout B for the first time and I have a question about the single-leg partial squats. Can you add weight to make them more challenging? I put one of those pre-weighted barbells behind my head after the first set.

YTWL's ...what the hell? What are they supposed to work? Why is it so awkward to hold your arms up like that? I brought my kindle in for the workout and felt like the world's biggest idiot referring to my kindle during the exercises...

Still working on figuring out the bent-over deadlift/row too...It feels like I am messing it up. Pick up bar, descend below knees, Row, then stand up? Repeat?

I kicked it up a notch for HIIT. 7.5-8 mph for 1 minute, 5.5 mph for recovery for 18 minutes. I think I'm ready to do 8 mph for 1 the speed intervals now.