Stage 3

Options

Replies

• manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I will be here tomorrow!!! I haven't looked through any of the workouts or read this completely. UGH! I hope I won't die. LOL
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies!

1st workout totally kicked my butt! I know I did not do those jumping lunges with totally correct form and I can't do jumping squats so did regular ones.

One armed snatch < 25
    single leg deadlift < 20
    Bent over row < 70
    1 armed squat < 10/20
    Incline press < 20
    Plank < 90
    Wood chop < 20
    BWM < 2:44, 2:30

I just spent $200 on heavier dumbbells and now it looks like I still need more. Better search for some deals.
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    First B workout last night. I ended up super-setting most of it so I could finish before the fitness center closed. I like the A workout a lot better. I had to do the dreaded YTWL standing up because I bruised my chest (don't ask :blushing: ) and could not lie on the bench. Also, for some weird reason, I am afraid of the back extention machine. I feel like I am going to flip over it so I can not get in the right position. I am going to have to work on that.

Still liking Stage 3 more than Stage 2. I am actually feeling sore!
    You can try the YTWL on the swiss ball if you're still sore next time. May be a little softer and won't hurt your chest as much. There are some videos online showing it done.
  • ellie78
    ellie78 Posts: 375
    Options
    So about the hip flexion exercises. I assume that as with most of the exercises in the book the 3rd listed is the toughest being the incline reverse crunch. I started this one and just couldn't even do it, not from a muscle standpoint, I didn't feel like my body had enough room to move. I tried at a couple different heights and it just didn't feel right so I did the the 2nd on the list, the reverse crunch on the floor and I did not feel a thing the first set so I ended up going back to the prone jackknife which I feel throughout my entire core. What's the deal with these exercises? Anyone have tips on the incline reverse crunch? Or am I backwards and the jackknife is the hardest? Instead of doing the incline reverse crunch could I do that leg lift machine? It seems like that would be comparable.

I also would like to say I hate the YTWL. Tiny little 5 lb dumbbells and I could barely get through the reps each set!
  • realrayne10
    realrayne10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I hate incline reverse crunch. I ususally just hold myself up on the dip machine and pull my knees to my chest from there. I am less inclined to swing myself up that way. I agree though, I feel the most burn on the jack knife so that is what I am doing in Stage 3.

I did Workout 2A today. Still liking it, although I seem to have some sort of mental block when it comes to the 20# dumbbells and the 15# are too easy. I think I am going to have to pack my weighted gloves next time to try to bridge that gap.

The biggest NSV???? I cut a whole minute off the BWM! I went from 04:08 last week to 03:05 this week!

I need to add more cardio back in to my week now though, I feel like I am building muscle, but I am not burning fat like I would like. Gonna have to hit the pavement for a 6 mile run tomorrow if it is under 100 degrees out. :ohwell:
  • dandelion39
    dandelion39 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Hi all--Just finished reading this entire thread. It's so helpful to get everyone's tips/queries ahead of time!

I started the stage this morning, and wow--it totally kicked my butt! I loved it. I felt much more "at home" with it than I ever did with Stage 2, even though the BWM was a killer. I can't believe how fast you guys are on that--I was over 4 minutes on both sets. I hope I can cut it down next time. My legs were like Jello walking to my car...and I know I'll feel it tomorrow.

I'm going to *try* to do some added cardio on non-lifting days for this stage. Like you, RealRayne, I'm frustrated with the fat loss part of this equation. But I really like admiring my muscles in the gym mirror while I'm doing my stuff :) Now If I can just get them to show a bit better....

P.S. I didn't see a back extension thingy at the gym today, which is weird, because it's pretty well equipped. But if they don't have one I guess I can use a ball--any tips for that modification from anyone?
  • manic4titans
    Options
    I did workout A today. I HATE the body weight matrix. How do yall finish it? I was able to do the squats and lunges. Then the jumping lunges I could only do 6 and 12 of jumping squats. So for my 2nd round I started with the jumping squats and did 18 and only 6 of the jumping lunges. It took me a total of 7ish minutes to complete the 2nd set. Do I keep on until I do them all or do what I can?

I can really feel my hamstrings tightening up. I feel like this workout isn't as strenuous as stage 2 (minus the BWM). Maybe I'll change my tune later :laugh:
  • samntha14
    Options
    I don't jump between my lunges . I stay on one leg and swing the other front lunge 1 back lunge 2 front lunge 3 back lung 4 and so on. When I get to 12 I switch legs. I also take little 10 sec. breathers every 6 jumping squats. Otherwise I will collapse. I do it in about 4.5 minutes.
  • ellie78
    Options
    I just had to stop and rest during the jumping ones in the BWM. I just did as much as I could and then once I felt like I could do a couple more I did.....it got a little shaky at times but I made it through.
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Did workout A today...after taking a week break after stage 2. Haven't had a chance to read through this thread yet so hopefully will get some time to do that because I have some questions. I work out at home...and I only have dumbbells that go to 25 lbs. Doing this workout was too easy for me because I didn't have heavy enough DBs for many of the moves. :/ Wondering if there is a way to modify or use the barbell with some weight on some of the moves.

So here are my thoughts/starting weights:
    *One-armed DB snatch: 25# - I like this move, it's kinda fun. I need heavier weight though as the 25# was too easy.

*DB single-leg Romanian DL: 25# DBs each hand - another fun balancing move...I could totally feel my hamstrings throughout the movement - it was awesome. Would like heavier weights. Can I use the BB for this?
    *Barbell bent over row: first set at 65# - too easy, second set at 75# still too easy, third set at 85# - challenging.

*DB single-arm overhead squat: 15# overhead, 25# b/w legs - weird movement...seemed too easy so will attempt more weight overhead next time
    *DB incline bench press: 25# DBs each hand - need heavier weight, too easy

*Plank: first set at 75 secs, 2nd set at only 55 secs, 3rd set at 60 secs. Will be interesting to see if I make it up to 90 secs before this stage is over. LOL It's quite challenging getting over 60 secs and also a mind block, I think.
    *Reverse wood chop: used 25# DB (no cable system)....seemed much too easy, not sure how to modify again for heavier resistance

Body Weight Matrix - *growl* - I hate jumping lunges. They just kill me!! First set took me 3 mins 51 secs. Heart was pounding and legs were stiff. Told myself I was going to beat my first set score because that seemed to take too long. Second set came in at 3 mins 16 secs but I was a bit sloppier on the jump squats (went ATG for the regular squats but only to parallel for jump squats). The jump lunges seem to be the hardest and most time-consuming for me as I need to take quick breathers in between every six or so. Watching the timer keep count just keeps me more anxious about it. :/

So any suggestions on how to make some of the DB moves more challenging without going out and purchasing more DBs? I'd like a set of SelectTechs but money is a little tight right now. :/
  • manic4titans
    Options
    OH MY WORD! I can't bend over. My hamstrings are TIGHT!

I know I need to increase weights for the upper body exercises.
  • jenniet04
    Options
    Did my first B workout today, wasn't as bad as I thought it would be from the comments I remember reading on here. I workout at home also and don't have a back extension thing, so was going to do them on the ball, then totally forgot about that and did the cobra instead. So here is what I remember from this morning since I don't have my sheet with me

romanian deadlift/row - 70 lbs
    single leg squat - more difficult than I thought, hopefully I can add weight next time
    lat pulldown - 70 lbs (this is where I left of in stage 1)
    cobra - too easy, need to try the ball next time (book didn't say how long so I only did about 40 seconds since I figured that's how long it would take to do the back extension exercise)
    YTWL - 8 lbs (the T was the hardest part for me)
    prone jackknife - instead of swill ball crunch since I hate it
    Incline reverse crunch - difficult but was able to do it
    lateral flexion - easy but did them
    prone cobra - 90 seconds (easy)

Got up late so only did 10 minutes of intervals, but it would have only taken me an hour to do the whole thing. However, I don't follow the rest intervals by counting seconds. I use my HRM and when my HR is down to about 115, I start the next exercise so it probably goes quite a bit faster doing this and I also superset the abs, hip and lateral moves.

Jen (MrsRip) - I need heavier weights for some things as well since I only have DBs that go up to 25# also. I just spent about $200 getting them, so am going to look on craigslist and see if I can find anything. I think I remember seeing a dumbbell bar that you can put free weights on,but don't know if the weights would need to be smaller or not. I may look into that also. Don't know about modifying moves to make them more difficult. I think you could use a barbell with the singe leg romanian lift and I would use a barbell for the incline press also.

on the BWM - I definitely needed to take a break when doing the jumping lunges and I just kept going until I could get them all done.
  • samntha14
    Options
    That's a really good idea with the HRM I have mine on but I don't really use it during actual lifting portion. I may try that. Thanks for the idea.
  • ellie78
    Options
    Did A2 last night. I managed to cut a minute off my first BWM matrix set last night, so that seemed like a pretty good accomplishment. The gym was super crowded, well I should say the weight room was super crowded. I guess you can tell it must be nearing swim trunk season because there were about twice as many guys in there as normal lifting weights like there was no tomorrow, grunting and dropping and everything. It was sort of funny actually.
  • HisChild2011
    HisChild2011 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm finishing stage 2 tonight! Do you guys think resting until Monday will be long enough for me to start Stage 3 on Monday???
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Hischild, when was your last break? I don't have the book beside me and someone please correct me if I am wrong, but you should take a break every 4- 6 weeks.

My thoughts are you can go ahead and start up this week or wait until Monday and take a week long break after this stage. You WILL need it. :bigsmile:
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    First B workout last night. I ended up super-setting most of it so I could finish before the fitness center closed. I like the A workout a lot better. I had to do the dreaded YTWL standing up because I bruised my chest (don't ask :blushing: ) and could not lie on the bench. Also, for some weird reason, I am afraid of the back extention machine. I feel like I am going to flip over it so I can not get in the right position. I am going to have to work on that.

Still liking Stage 3 more than Stage 2. I am actually feeling sore!
    You can try the YTWL on the swiss ball if you're still sore next time. May be a little softer and won't hurt your chest as much. There are some videos online showing it done.

That's a really good idea with doing them on a swiss ball. I'll have to try that tonight when I do Workout 3B. The bench really hurts my chest and I find it hard to breathe since it's a lot of pressure on my lungs. Makes that exercise even harder!

I did Workout 3A on Monday (only got to do 1 NROLFW workout last week so I'm trying for 3 this week) and I managed two new awesome personal bests!

I did 60 lbs total on my incline bench press! A 30 lb dumbbell in each hand. It was tough, but not impossible. I felt like a beast, hahahaha.

And then, when I thought it couldn't get any better, I FINALLY held a plank for 90 seconds! I've only been able to do 70 seconds so far, but this time I put my towel down on the mat so my arms wouldn't slide from the sweat and it worked much better. I only held 90 seconds for the first one, but I did 75 seconds for the second and third. Definitely getting better.

It looks like I only have 3 Phase 3 workouts left, then I'm moving up to Phase 4. Based on my schedule so far, that will likely happen in the middle of next week. I've got 3B tonight, 4A probably Friday night, and then 4B on Monday.
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Ladies, I need immediate help. I am suppose to do my first B workout today , and I am just now looking over the workout. I know I can not do the YWTL due to the nerve damage. I was able to do the Cuban snatch standing up with very low weights last stage. So, should I do this standing up or do you have an alternative suggestion?

Thanks!
  • jenniet04
    Options
    Mary - I think trying the YTWL standing up is a good idea. It's definitely much harder doing them while on the incline bench.

00trayn - great job on the incline press!

HisChild - I agree with Mary (manic). Depending on when you last rested, you can go straight into Stage 3 if you want. Other wise, just listen to your body and if you're ready to lift on Monday after that short break, then go ahead and do that.
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Yes, I did the YTWL standing up with my 3lb wimpy weights. My left arm could easily hold 10-15 pounds . I had months of P/T with no improvement with the right shoulder so I doubt if I will ever get to increase that weight. Once a nerve is damaged (or fried in my case) there's no coming back .

I was not happy with Workout B. Anyone else? I perspired some but I wasn't heaving.

I tried 95 pounds on the deadlift. Boy, was that hysterical. I strained so much I almost peed on myself. Picking it up was fine but when I bent over to pull up....... :laugh: I backed it down to just the OLY bar for the 1st set, added 10 more pounds for the 2nd set, and added 5 for the last set. Next time I will add 5-10 more on the sets.

I got nothing out of the single leg squat. maybe hold weights next time?

Lat pull down 72 pounds. I tried 84 pounds . I never mastered that weight on stage 1 but a few pulls. Hopefully by the end of stage 3 I can pull 84.

My gym doesn't have the back extension.

No problem with the other exercises. I even managed to increase the weight over my head (Swiss ball crunch) from 8 lb ball to 15 pound weight. Definitely will hold 20 pound next time.