Stage 1

Options

Replies

• stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    A suggestion to all of you if you plan to continue lifting and you can thank Holley for this tip. VERSAGRIPS!!!! OMG what a difference when you DL and do rows, and good when you press as well! There are several varieties, I bought the "branded" Versa Grips, but found out after that there's another "versa grip" made of leather that breaks in easier. I can only comment on the ones I use and I gotta say I LOVE them! My grip sux after 25DB and my DLs were stalled at 110 because my grip would fail.
    I've heard about Versagrips & they look cool! Since I already have straps & gloves I probably wouldn't buy them myself, but I would if I didn't have stuff already. I might have to pull them out soon since I'm up to 115 on DL - I'm ok for now with the alternate grip, but after progressing a few more lbs I might need the straps.

Haven't checked in for a while because I skipped quite a few workouts over the last 3-4 weeks due to a death in the family, but surprisingly when I got back to it I was still able to progress the weight which was kinda awesome. I only have maybe 4 workouts left in Stage 1 then the AMRAPs so I better pull my book out to see what's coming next in Stage 2.
  • stubbysticks
    Options
    Work out 4A for me tonight. I like the lifting and I'm always amazed at myself when I can up the weight. I tried stepping up onto the bench, but it seemed too wobbly (or maybe I was too unbalanced), so I had to go back to using the aerobics stepper. I've never seen anyone at my gym stepping up onto the bench before. Are the stepups pretty unique to this workout?
    I've seen people step up onto benches before & that's what I do. Perhaps your gym's benches are just rickety?? By all means if you need to use aerobics steps to get a more stable step, then do it.
  • lisaeshenour724
    lisaeshenour724 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I just started last week. Have done 2 A workouts and 2 B workouts. Due to my own reading errors, I wasn't sure what squat they were wanting, so I've just been squatting with dumbells. I just realized I should have been using the bar on my shoulders for that. I'm a little nervous about doing it, but am ready to try.

My other issue was that the only bars available for the deadlift the first time I went were the curled bicep bar. Is it okay to deadlift with these?

Soreness from last week has totally gone today. I can just feel a little soreness in my arms from yesterday's workout. I am having some lower back pain though. Can't decide if it is soreness or something else.
  • stubbysticks
    Options
    I just started last week. Have done 2 A workouts and 2 B workouts. Due to my own reading errors, I wasn't sure what squat they were wanting, so I've just been squatting with dumbells. I just realized I should have been using the bar on my shoulders for that. I'm a little nervous about doing it, but am ready to try.

My other issue was that the only bars available for the deadlift the first time I went were the curled bicep bar. Is it okay to deadlift with these?

Soreness from last week has totally gone today. I can just feel a little soreness in my arms from yesterday's workout. I am having some lower back pain though. Can't decide if it is soreness or something else.
    Do you mean the bar with the zig zags in it (the EZ bar)? You could deadlift with it if you can find a comfortable way to grip it, you'd want to try to grip the straight portions though I would think. Gripping the angled parts wouldn't allow proper form. Also keep in mind the EZ bar only weighs 17.5 lbs vs. the olympic bar which is 45 lbs.
  • lisaeshenour724
    Options

Do you mean the bar with the zig zags in it (the EZ bar)? You could deadlift with it if you can find a comfortable way to grip it, you'd want to try to grip the straight portions though I would think. Gripping the angled parts wouldn't allow proper form. Also keep in mind the EZ bar only weighs 17.5 lbs vs. the olympic bar which is 45 lbs.

Thank you! That is what I was referring to. Gripping it hasn't been an issue for me. And I have only been counting it as 15 lbs. It is good to know how much it really weighs though. Thank you!
  • mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I did my first workout today! So workout A1 I guess. Both myself and my trainer were saying "hmmm doesn't seem like a very long workout" and "this will be easy - pish tosh" and the like. Well, by the time I was onto the step ups I was trashed - that workout kicked my a**!

Warmed up with the olympic bar (I think it is 24kg/53lb) on squats, so put an extra 10kg on for my 2 sets of 15.
    Did pressups on my knees - I wanted to do them on my feet, but my trainer suggested starting on my knees.
    Seated row was tough, just managed the two sets of 15 with 35kg.
    Step ups were slow and shaky (by this time in the workout), and I managed the prone jacknife sets fairly well, but I have done them before.

So I am definitely feeling it! Felt a little nauseous at the end of the workout...but it has gotta be good for you, right? Got a great sweat up and all red faced.

Will pick up my workout diary with my starting measurements in it when I go in for workout B1 on Wednesday - have a measurement goal to get to, rather than a weight goal at the moment, but I have a lot of fat to lose - so I imagine my weight should get down by about 7-8kg before I hit those measurement goals - am I right in believing that this programme should help me shed fat fairly decently? I am currently eating a calorie deficit also.

ETA: Step ups were weight free for my first workout. Will have to have another look at the book, but am I meant to increase my weights at each workout?
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    WOW, completed my first ever workout this morning. I was tough, but I loved it.
    I doscovered that I cannot do squats, my husband said my form is terrible. I have to use the windowsill for push ups, and the step ups killed me!!!!!n Oh and the jack knives - not easy.
    So I have a long way to go, but I can only get better from here.
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options

ETA: Step ups were weight free for my first workout. Will have to have another look at the book, but am I meant to increase my weights at each workout?

I am just about to restart the program on Wednesday. I was nearly done with Stage1 first time around. It took me a while before I could add weights as my form just wasn't good with weights. I only added the weights when I could still doing the step up without using the leg to push me off the floor...hope that makes sense...
  • Daisy80
    Options
    WOW, completed my first ever workout this morning. I was tough, but I loved it.
    I doscovered that I cannot do squats, my husband said my form is terrible. I have to use the windowsill for push ups, and the step ups killed me!!!!!n Oh and the jack knives - not easy.
    So I have a long way to go, but I can only get better from here.

One thing I loved about the program is that you will see a little improvement every week...I find that really motivating!
  • mcbellnz
    Options

I am just about to restart the program on Wednesday. I was nearly done with Stage1 first time around. It took me a while before I could add weights as my form just wasn't good with weights. I only added the weights when I could still doing the step up without using the leg to push me off the floor...hope that makes sense...

That totally makes sense - thanks for that. I think I need more practice on my stepups before I use weights, and will probably start with little weights (2kg) when I do graduate. I was often leaning my hand on my working leg/knee during the step up in the second set (if you can imagine that).

Should I be trying to up my other weights every workout? As in I put 10kg on the bar for my squats, should I put 7.5kg each end on the bar for my next A workout, or concentrate on going lower in my squats? I will have to do my next A workout without my trainer so am a bit worried about my form/adding more weights by myself. I did manage the squats okay though - comparatively I don't think I would be ready to put my seated row up (or only go up 2.5kg) for the next workout......

Any thoughts???
  • Daisy80
    Options
    I personally would say get your form right on the squats first and then add weight. The squat is such a major lift and you should really focus on form first. I personally added weight but then struggled to go parallel so took weight off again to practice form.
    On the other lifts if you can with good form I would increase the weights.
    I tried on every exercise in every workout to up the weights. If I couldn't finish the set properly I would take weight off again. I always wrote all that on my workout log sheet too...

Overall I try to master my form while increasing the weights but keeping focus on form. :smile:
  • lisaeshenour724
    Options
    Did workout B3 today. I was able to deadlift 60 pounds. Might not seem like a lot, but it was huge for me!
  • mcbellnz
    Options
    Will be doing workout B1 this afternoon - am a bit worried about the dumbbell shoulder press, as I have had a bit of trouble with my left shoulder in the past. Not sure what I could replace this exercise with if I can't lift any weight. I will have my trainer there to check my form and offer advice though.
  • sara4159
    sara4159 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Is it weird that I'm lifting the same amount for deadlifts and lat pulldown? Both are at 70. I would have thought my legs would be stronger than my arms and upper back. Maybe it's just one of those you start where you start, no need to make judgments. But I am curious.
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I just completed Stage 1 B1. Not great.
    I was not as confident as A1. Also, my legs still hurt from Monday which made lunges hard. I did them but not as low as I wanted.
    I stretched a lot after this workout, I'm hoping I will be as sore tomorrow.

I am hoping when I do this again on Monday my legs will be ok and I can really get into it.
  • sara4159
    Options
    I was really sore the first week, but as I've gone along, it's gotten better. I'm still sore, it's just not as bad. I like the sore feeling, it means I really worked and pushed myself.
  • mcbellnz
    Options
    I just completed Stage 1 B1. Not great.
    I was not as confident as A1. Also, my legs still hurt from Monday which made lunges hard. I did them but not as low as I wanted.
    I stretched a lot after this workout, I'm hoping I will be as sore tomorrow.

I am hoping when I do this again on Monday my legs will be ok and I can really get into it.

I feel almost exactly the same as you - my legs were uber sore from Monday's squats, so lunges hurt, but I don't think I went heavy enough on all of my weights this time around - it was not nearly as hard as the A workout.

For shoulder press and lat pull down I ended up upping my weights for the second set, and it was a better challenge. Will start with those weights next time. Definitely need to use heavier weights for the lunges, and need to find a more advanced swiss ball crunch - it was too easy (not that I am boasting, but I have a lot of fat to lose and I want to see results so I need to work hard)!

Workout A2 is tomorrow - will keep my weights the same and work on form, will try pressups on my toes and will try step ups with weights this time probably (just did body weight last time).

ETA: I am not nearly as sore today as I was yesterday (but I didn't hurt as much on Tuesday from Monday's workout, hurt more yesterday - Wednesday).
  • jillybean_75
    jillybean_75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    First, WTG for everyone on their lifting stats! I just restarting lifting and I am on 1A (3rd A workout). I am increasing my weights at every workout, and I love it. But the one I have issue with is the deadlift. I started on 1B -1st workout at 50, then increased to 60 1B - 2nd workout. It feels good to me, and I feel like I can move up. However, I am using a barbell, the kind with the weights already on the end of it (not ones you can add or reduce weights). I have a hard time getting the bar off the rack and back on again as I increase my weight. Is this weird?

I am doing pretty good with my weights, 95lb squats, 17.5lb dumbbell shoulder press, 85lb seated rows, 75lb lat pulldown, and just dumbbells for lunges and step ups (onto a weight bench, not sure of the height, but feels high...ugh).

Am I just crazy and feeling weak? Is there a better way to do the deadlifts?
  • mcbellnz
    Options
    Did workout B2 yesterday evening, and the weights were much more challenging. I can feel it today - especially in my back and butt. I will have to release my newly purchased foam roller from it's plastic wrap and stretch everything tonight.

Wednesday the reps go down, and the weights will go up again! How exciting. I am aiming to work with a personal trainer once a week (obviously I have too much money) and twice in a row when I move onto the next stage - just to check my form and help me choose an appropriate starting weight.

Hope everyone else is enjoying Stage one!
  • sara4159
    Options
    I'm on B6 tonight after work. I'm excited to increase my dead lift and shoulder press weights, and hopefully my step-ups on to the bench will be less wobbly.

mcbellnz- Good luck working with a trainer. I've been thinking about that as well, but I think a once a month check in would be all i can manage right now.