Stage 1

Options

Replies

• lisaeshenour724
    lisaeshenour724 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Did B4 today. I am actually really excited about upping the sets from 2 to 3. And about trying to up my weights some more. So far I love this program!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Congrats to all of you! I didn't use a traier for Stage 1 and although I thought I had my form down, I really needed some help keeping the form right. I see a trainer now, thankfully he and I worked out a fee that it within my budget. It's really helped a lot!

For all of you suffering DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) I have a lovely phrase - FOAM ROLLER! Get one and you will be so glad you did. I bought mine at KMart - it's a 3-in-1 kind, perfect for all sore locations on my body!
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Finally finished up Stage 1 a couple of weeks ago. Didn't do the AMRAPs because it was clear I made some good strength gains, plus I had taken a couple of weeks off due to a death in the family so I was just ready to get it DONE so I could move on to something different!

Off to the Stage 2 thread, keep rockin' it out ladies!!! :drinker:
  • autumn_mix
    autumn_mix Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I made it through Stage 4 last year, but due to illness ended up taking the last few months off. I have decided I am going to start NROL4W over again, and this time my goal is to optimize my food intake so that my muscle gains aren't shrouded in fat! First workout is tonight, so fingers crossed I haven't lost all the wonderful strength I gained last year. If you are looking for fellow female weightlifting friends, feel free to add me!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Hi! I finished NROL4W last year. I did not lose weight or many inches but i think that had to do with my diet. Like Autumn, I am focusing on my diet and form. I have 2 herniated discs now so I must take my time to focus on form and make sure I do not further injure myself. I probably won't have the heavy lifts I had last year . That might be the reason I didn't see much difference. I was too focused on how much I could lift.

Anyway, I'm back and I'm sore today!
  • mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options

mcbellnz- Good luck working with a trainer. I've been thinking about that as well, but I think a once a month check in would be all i can manage right now.

Yes, it probably isn't in the budget so much, but my trainer is reasonably priced and a lovely girl who can really push me. I am terrified of hurting myself (and thus wasting my gym membership and money on physio while recovering) and I am currently a little intimidated by the massive guys that attend this gym. I get there early on the days I don't work with a trainer, so I don't have to wait to use a bar or rack, but I feel so much more confident with my trainer - this is in terms of "belonging" there and having her to watch my form for me.

As I get more confident, I might be able to cut back on the trainer time. (Workout B3 today!).
  • mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Whoop whoop. It was super hot today - 31 degrees C (about 88 degrees F for those who measure temperature that way), actually felt like summer.

Of course it was way hotter in the gym - but I still managed to up all my weights for my B3 workout. Now I just have to keep my food in check!
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies

I finally managed to go to the gym and re-started the program. Last year I made to the end of Stage 1 and then changed gym as my old one did not have a squat rack...I then fell of the wagon due to a long break before I could join the new gym. I did 1A today and love to be back. My legs were like jelly when I left the gym but it was great!

Hope to find some ladies here to share the experience with..

All the best
    Daisy
  • manic4titans
    Options
    Hey ladies

I finally managed to go to the gym and re-started the program. Last year I made to the end of Stage 1 and then changed gym as my old one did not have a squat rack...I then fell of the wagon due to a long break before I could join the new gym. I did 1A today and love to be back. My legs were like jelly when I left the gym but it was great!

All the best
    Daisy

Hi Daisy!

I finished the program last year! Restarting the program and really focusing on form. I hurt my back somewhere along the lines so I am easing into the program and focusing on form. That's my best advice to you. Don't be like me . I wanted to lift heavy and heavier each time . I know my form suffered, my diet wasn't the greatest, and lacked cardio to lose weight.

Good luck!
  • Daisy80
    Options
    Hey ladies

All the best
    Daisy

Hi Daisy!

I finished the program last year! Restarting the program and really focusing on form. I hurt my back somewhere along the lines so I am easing into the program and focusing on form. That's my best advice to you. Don't be like me . I wanted to lift heavy and heavier each time . I know my form suffered, my diet wasn't the greatest, and lacked cardio to lose weight.

Good luck!

Hi

I am already trying to improve my form and will make it my main focus :-)

What are you doing for your cardio? I have Chalean Johnson's Turbo Fire DVD's and this includes HIIT workouts..15min, 20min, 25 min and 30 min. I was thinking to just do that on my non lifting days...or maybe the odd class at the gym.
  • manic4titans
    Options
    The dr doesn't recommend me running/jogging , but he said the elliptical was ok. For now that's what I am doing. Previously, I used 30 day shred on non lifting days (not enough of it though to see an improvement.)
  • Daisy80
    Options
    I also quite like using the bike in the gym...
  • manic4titans
    Options
    I like the bike! I really can get to moving on it :bigsmile: BUT for religious reasons, I wear a skirt . If I wear a knee length skirt it rides WAY up. If I wear a flow-y skirt, it's great BUT when I do get to moving it flies around and shows just as much. :blushing:

That being said, I stick to the elliptical or treadmill at the gym.
  • hannydee
    hannydee Posts: 246
    Options
    Quick question about reps on the Lunges and Step-ups - can anyone help me?

I get that you are supposed to do 2 sets of 15 reps - however does that just mean just 1 set of 15 on each leg?
    Or am I supposed to do what is effectively 2 sets of 30, doing 15 reps per each leg per set?
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Quick question about reps on the Lunges and Step-ups - can anyone help me?

I get that you are supposed to do 2 sets of 15 reps - however does that just mean just 1 set of 15 on each leg?
    Or am I supposed to do what is effectively 2 sets of 30, doing 15 reps per each leg per set?
    Yup, it's 15 reps each leg.
  • jsextrasmooth
    jsextrasmooth Posts: 127 Member
    Options

This :smile:
  • manic4titans
    Options

This :smile:

yep
  • hannydee
    Options
    Thanks, lovely ladies! That's what I thought but just wanted to check before I launch into it properly. Had a go at workout A on Tuesday and going to attempt Workout B today, then will start at it full-pelt next week ;)
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    A little background: In Spring 2012, I was following NROLW. I loved it. I felt powerful and confident and despite being a short chick, I had no problem strolling into the weight section with the big boys. Then summer rolled around, I got busy with work and stressed about my father's death and stopped doing much of anything.

Fast forward: I've been calorie counting and exercising since the beginning of this month, going to Zumba with my friends 2-3 times a week and following a circuit training program on EA Sports Active 2 (cardio mixed with body weight strength training). I only have about 20 lbs to lose, and I know that what I really want is to reshape my body, not just see a number on a scale. I know I need to lift! I've lost all my confidence to get into the weight section, but I am DETERMINED to suck it up buttercup and get in there to start Stage 1 tomorrow!
  • hannydee
    Options
    @mcbellnz - I did B1 yesterday and also found the swiss ball crunch way too easy. Ended up doing 12 reps each time rather than 8 (but felt a bit naughty for not following the book!).