Stage 1

Options

Replies

• manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    just wanted to jump in to bump the thread.

I've completed 5 workouts so far. I'm really loving the program this time around.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    First workout done, it was the trial & error like I expected it to be. I have to get to know my machine, find the best resistance, find out the best way to do squats w/o a rack and pay attention to how many reps to do (I did 2-15 reps on the prone jack knives, oops!).
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    This morning there were quite a lot of people in the gym, but only 3 people in the weight sectioon. And guess what, they were all women. I was one of them!!!!

The men were on cardio machines, the women lifting weights.

I have been using the Smith machine for squats, no other option at my gym, however the husband just got some weights at home so this morning I did my squats with the real bar, no machine before I went to the gym to finish. The gym is 3 mins from my house so this is no big deal.
    The first set I used the same weight as last time, the next 2 sets I added weight. I liked this much better than the smith machine.
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Ha ha...that's brilliant! I still haven't seen a woman in the free weight area....
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    This morning there were quite a lot of people in the gym, but only 3 people in the weight sectioon. And guess what, they were all women. I was one of them!!!!

The men were on cardio machines, the women lifting weights.

I have been using the Smith machine for squats, no other option at my gym, however the husband just got some weights at home so this morning I did my squats with the real bar, no machine before I went to the gym to finish. The gym is 3 mins from my house so this is no big deal.
    The first set I used the same weight as last time, the next 2 sets I added weight. I liked this much better than the smith machine.

Cool...go lady lifters!

Awesome way to avoid the smith machine!!
  • lcuconley
    Options
    So, last night I got a rare evening workout in. It was a late night Sunday night and things just fell into place with the kids. I like workout B better than workout A and really felt good about my progression.

Deadlift 11@105/10@115/10@120
    Dumbbell shoulder press 10@40/10@45/10@45
    Wide grip lat pulldown 10@80/10@80/10@80 (these were tough...have not added weight for 2 workouts)
    Lunge 10@40/10@45/10@45
    Swiss ball crunch 25@10/25@12.5/25@12.5

I felt GREAT when I was done!
  • lcuconley
    Options
    First workout done, it was the trial & error like I expected it to be. I have to get to know my machine, find the best resistance, find out the best way to do squats w/o a rack and pay attention to how many reps to do (I did 2-15 reps on the prone jack knives, oops!).

Congrats getting the first one under your belt! I always go over on the reps for PJK and SBC. :smile:
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    So, last night I got a rare evening workout in. It was a late night Sunday night and things just fell into place with the kids. I like workout B better than workout A and really felt good about my progression.

Wide grip lat pulldown 10@80/10@80/10@80 (these were tough...have not added weight for 2 workouts)
    Lunge 10@40/10@45/10@45

Wow I am impressed with you lifts! Especially the shoulder press and lunges...amazing...
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Lunge 10@40/10@45/10@45

You should feel great! Those are awesome numbers, especially on the deadlift! Impressive!
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    yes be proud!! I wasn't lifting that much until halfway through the program!
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options

Lunge 10@40/10@45/10@45

I'm seriously impressed with your shoulder press weights!!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Is it silly for me to think that after one workout, my muscles feel stronger and my tummy feels a little more flat? Maybe I'm imagining it, but I like it. Doing Week 1, workout B tonight.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    Is it silly for me to think that after one workout, my muscles feel stronger and my tummy feels a little more flat? Maybe I'm imagining it, but I like it. Doing Week 1, workout B tonight.

i was having that feeling this am..especially the flat stomach, which isn't the case!. I think working out, especially lifting, makes you more aware of your muscles. Its a great thing!!
  • kellyscomeback
    Options
    Step Ups - How high is your step?

I saw a video on the NROLFW forums that said it should be just below or at knee level but that seemed really high when I tried it (I used a chair that was at knee level). I can feel it now just above my knees but it was HARD for me to do all 12 reps with a 15 lb dumbbell in my hand.

Should I try a shorter step (which would be about shin level) or less weight?
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I have a rough time with step ups. My legs are weak. I use the bench which puts my leg a bit higher than parallel since my legs are short. I just did 3A with 15 pounds total and barely made it through my reps...as in I know it wasn't one leg dragging me up the last few. I let the other leg pitch in and help. I'm not sure of the answer to this question, though...lol.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options

I saw a video on the NROLFW forums that said it should be just below or at knee level but that seemed really high when I tried it (I used a chair that was at knee level). I can feel it now just above my knees but it was HARD for me to do all 12 reps with a 15 lb dumbbell in my hand.

Your step sounds like it's the right height, so use less weight. It helps if you shift most of your weight to the "stepping leg" when you have the foot on the step. It forces that leg to do most of the work. You might need to use just body weight until you get the form down.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    All I could find for a step was a wood wine box. Which also isn't very strong, but I can stand near the side of it without breaking. Until my bf has time to build me one. But now that I think about it, I could bring in a short picnic bench seat which would be both stronger and higher.
  • lcuconley
    Options

Your step sounds like it's the right height, so use less weight. It helps if you shift most of your weight to the "stepping leg" when you have the foot on the step. It forces that leg to do most of the work. You might need to use just body weight until you get the form down.

i agree.
  • kellyscomeback
    Options

i agree.

Sounds good, I'll try 10 lbs Friday.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    My step up steps are a lot lower. There isn't one that high in the gym so I just have to go with the plastic things they have there.

Urgh my deadlifts aren't getting any better because I know my form is right off. I'm sticking with just using the bar until I can get it right. It means I'm not going to failure but I'd rather not do my back in.
    I had a few things that made me happy. I've hit 6kg (or 13lbs) in each hand for the shoulder press with is awesome because I know that's what I ended on the first time I did it.
    I'm also really pleased with the 50 lbs pull down. It was on the last set and it was hard but not to failure so I'm going to add another 5lbs next time. Lunges are vastly improving too. Other than the deadlifts they are the thing I hate the most. Still only carrying 8kg (17lbs) in total for those.

Does anyone else find the swiss ball crunches a bit too easy?