Stage 1

Options

Replies

• manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    thankyou, have you added weight to the crunch? on your chest or holding it "behind" your head?
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    thankyou, have you added weight to the crunch? on your chest or holding it "behind" your head?

No, but that's a really good idea. Thanks!
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    My step up steps are a lot lower. There isn't one that high in the gym so I just have to go with the plastic things they have there.

Urgh my deadlifts aren't getting any better because I know my form is right off. I'm sticking with just using the bar until I can get it right. It means I'm not going to failure but I'd rather not do my back in.
    I had a few things that made me happy. I've hit 6kg (or 13lbs) in each hand for the shoulder press with is awesome because I know that's what I ended on the first time I did it.
    I'm also really pleased with the 50 lbs pull down. It was on the last set and it was hard but not to failure so I'm going to add another 5lbs next time. Lunges are vastly improving too. Other than the deadlifts they are the thing I hate the most. Still only carrying 8kg (17lbs) in total for those.

Does anyone else find the swiss ball crunches a bit too easy?

stick with those deadlifts...they are actually one of my favorite's!

Yes, SBCs are pretty easy. I have done 25 reps per set from the beginning and have slowly added weight that I hold over my head. I think it would be dangerous to try it with the weight I would need to only do 10!!
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

I found them too easy until I moved the ball further down my back. If it's too high up I get too much support and it's too easy.
  • mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options

I found them too easy until I moved the ball further down my back. If it's too high up I get too much support and it's too easy.

My PT suggested I put my feet up on the wall while I do these (along with holding 10kg on my chest). I found it much harder - especially as I felt like I might fall off - I am sure I ended up using more muscles than I usually do just to keep me on the ball in that position.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    So, last night I got a rare evening workout in. It was a late night Sunday night and things just fell into place with the kids. I like workout B better than workout A and really felt good about my progression.

Deadlift 11@105/10@115/10@120
    Dumbbell shoulder press 10@40/10@45/10@45
    Wide grip lat pulldown 10@80/10@80/10@80 (these were tough...have not added weight for 2 workouts)
    Lunge 10@40/10@45/10@45
    Swiss ball crunch 25@10/25@12.5/25@12.5

I felt GREAT when I was done!

I'm seriously impressed with your shoulder press weights!!

Me too!
    Workout 1B #2
    Deadlift 135x5, 95x10. 95x15
    Dumbbell shoulder press 20x10, 15x, 20x10, 15x5
    Wide grip lat pulldown 70x15, 70x15
    Lunge 30x30, 40x30
    Plank 45 sec. 45 sec

20-30 lb. Kettlebell swings to warm up and as finisher
  • thankyou4thevenom
    Options

My PT suggested I put my feet up on the wall while I do these (along with holding 10kg on my chest). I found it much harder - especially as I felt like I might fall off - I am sure I ended up using more muscles than I usually do just to keep me on the ball in that position.

Two very good suggestions. Thanks for those.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I am using the spreadsheet to log my workouts and make notes. The spread sheet lists 6 sets for each workout, but my understanding is that I am suppose to do 2 reps of each exercise. Am I suppose to do each exercise twice or 6 times? Then when I get to fewer reps I am suppose to use more weight, right?

I thought I had this nailed down, I guess not.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    The first 2 workouts in A and B are 2 sets of 15 reps. You start with 2 sets of squats. Then you'll do a set of rows followed by a set of push ups. Repeat that. Then do a set of step ups followed by a set of prone jack knife. Then repeat that. Add weight as you feel you can and still keep good form. Good form is more important than upping weight.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I am using the spreadsheet to log my workouts and make notes. The spread sheet lists 6 sets for each workout, but my understanding is that I am suppose to do 2 reps of each exercise. Am I suppose to do each exercise twice or 6 times? Then when I get to fewer reps I am suppose to use more weight, right?

I thought I had this nailed down, I guess not.

Right? I don't really understand why these logs have 6 reps, but do what Chicbuc said.
  • kellyscomeback
    Options
    I had it down until I saw the 6 reps. So I'll just keep ignoring them.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    According to the book, it is 2 sets of 15 reps, so it must just be an error.
  • lcuconley
    Options
    good workout this am: workout 1A6:

Squat: 10@110, 10@115, 10@115
    pushup: 20w/feet on step, 20 w/1 riser, 12 w/2 risers
    seated row: 11@75, 10@80, 10@80
    step up: 10@45, 10@50, 11@50
    prone jackknife: 3X25

so, this am for my step-ups, I saw the cardio step sitting there with a ton of risers, so I decided to try step-ups with 6 risers. It was so much better and more stable than using the padded bench I always use! I can't wait to go up on weight when I do 1A7!
  • Holmfridur_Gestsdottir
    Options

so, this am for my step-ups, I saw the cardio step sitting there with a ton of risers, so I decided to try step-ups with 6 risers. It was so much better and more stable than using the padded bench I always use! I can't wait to go up on weight when I do 1A7!

Wow! So impressive! Have you tried pushups with feet in TRX bands? That's great for added challenge, just tried it the other day and it makes it harder to stabilize yourself than the benches/steps do. I plan to elevate my feet a bit for each session. Love that exercise :smile:

One question though. Do you do your step ups with 45 lbs in each hand or do you have 22,5 in each? Or do you use a barbell? If you are doing the step ups with 45 lbs in each hand, how does it feel? I am doing the lunges and step ups with 12 kg (26,5 lbs) in each hand and my palms hurt while doing them even though I have lifting gloves when holding them. I am very grateful for the invention of lifting gloves by the way :smile:
  • lcuconley
    Options

Wow! So impressive! Have you tried pushups with feet in TRX bands? That's great for added challenge, just tried it the other day and it makes it harder to stabilize yourself than the benches/steps do. I plan to elevate my feet a bit for each session. Love that exercise :smile:

One question though. Do you do your step ups with 45 lbs in each hand or do you have 22,5 in each? Or do you use a barbell? If you are doing the step ups with 45 lbs in each hand, how does it feel? I am doing the lunges and step ups with 12 kg (26,5 lbs) in each hand and my palms hurt while doing them even though I have lifting gloves when holding them. I am very grateful for the invention of lifting gloves by the way :smile:

thanks. TRX bands is a great idea, but my gym keeps them hidden away so that we pay trainers to do TRX. I think I am going to try putting a plate on my back next time.

OMG...22.5 in each hand:laugh: I totally agree that hand strength can be a limiting factor in lunges and step-ups. I used to use lifting gloves, but stopped when I decided I was stronger without them. Make sure that your grip is not pinching any skin at the top of your palm: slide your fingers over the bar so that fleshy part goes back toward your wrist. (Not sure if that makes sense.)

what are you doing in your avatar pic?
  • thankyou4thevenom
    Options
    So I'm back from doing Workout A for the 4th time and I think the pain in my shoulder was from bad form. It didn't hurt when I moved the bar back slightly on my shoulders during my squats. Lesson learnt!
    I also decided to try a full push up today and managed one very bad one. Hahahaha. Hey at least I got up there and down again without falling flat on my face. :happy:
    I think I've hit the upper level on the weight I can lift on the seated row and now need to get the form right. I think I'm going to get my gym partner to make sure I'm sitting correctly next time we go.
    Step ups are becoming an issue more so because my grip is bothering me. In the last set today I was using 7lb weights and my wrists weren't liking them. I need to improve my grip strength.
    I still can't get off the swiss ball after a prone jacknife without falling off. Well at least I'm giving everyone a laugh! :wink:
  • lcuconley
    Options
    So I'm back from doing Workout A for the 4th time and I think the pain in my shoulder was from bad form. It didn't hurt when I moved the bar back slightly on my shoulders during my squats. Lesson learnt!

I still can't get off the swiss ball after a prone jacknife without falling off. Well at least I'm giving everyone a laugh! :wink:

Glad to hear your pain was not anything serious!

I agree about the PJKs...its awkward to begin with and add exhausted abs! When I start, I put my hips on the ball and walk forward with my hands. When I am done, I do the opposite. I still feel so clumsy.
  • Holmfridur_Gestsdottir
    Options
    thanks. TRX bands is a great idea, but my gym keeps them hidden away so that we pay trainers to do TRX. I think I am going to try putting a plate on my back next time.

OMG...22.5 in each hand:laugh: I totally agree that hand strength can be a limiting factor in lunges and step-ups. I used to use lifting gloves, but stopped when I decided I was stronger without them. Make sure that your grip is not pinching any skin at the top of your palm: slide your fingers over the bar so that fleshy part goes back toward your wrist. (Not sure if that makes sense.)

what are you doing in your avatar pic?

Good point with the grip, I will be checking that out next time, for sure.
    The picture shows me jumping on a trampoline. My daughters do gymnastics 2x a week and 2 times a year, at the end of each semester, the teachers invite the parents to train with the kids. That's just awesome and jumping on the trampoline was a part of that program. I think this may be the only pic of me from that day where my hair wasn't in my face or something :laugh:
  • kellyscomeback
    Options
    This is the first workout program where I am not working out 6 days a week. It's a nice treat to have the weekends 'off', I just have to get use to it.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It is awesome, isn't it Kel?

I was supposed to go last night for my workout A w 2, but the snow prevented me from getting there. So I just got through. I think I pushed myself sufficiently since my legs were shaking for about 20 minutes afterward. It throws my week off though because my plan was Sunday/Wednesday/Friday workouts due to my schedule. Now I'm gonna have to try to get up early Monday to get myself back on track.