Stage 1

Options

Replies

• chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm fighting off a cold, so I just wasn't up to my second A workout yesterday. I did stronglifts instead. It was challenging, but doable. Now I can't decide if I want to stick with stronglifts or try to make it through NROLFW one more time. I've started and not finished twice, partly due to circumstances beyond my control, but things are stable at home now and I have decent equipment. Decisions, decisions...
  • chicbuc
    Options
    A little background: In Spring 2012, I was following NROLW. I loved it. I felt powerful and confident and despite being a short chick, I had no problem strolling into the weight section with the big boys. Then summer rolled around, I got busy with work and stressed about my father's death and stopped doing much of anything.

Fast forward: I've been calorie counting and exercising since the beginning of this month, going to Zumba with my friends 2-3 times a week and following a circuit training program on EA Sports Active 2 (cardio mixed with body weight strength training). I only have about 20 lbs to lose, and I know that what I really want is to reshape my body, not just see a number on a scale. I know I need to lift! I've lost all my confidence to get into the weight section, but I am DETERMINED to suck it up buttercup and get in there to start Stage 1 tomorrow!

Get back in there and lift!!! You will feel so empowered!!!
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    A little background: In Spring 2012, I was following NROLW. I loved it. I felt powerful and confident and despite being a short chick, I had no problem strolling into the weight section with the big boys. Then summer rolled around, I got busy with work and stressed about my father's death and stopped doing much of anything.

Fast forward: I've been calorie counting and exercising since the beginning of this month, going to Zumba with my friends 2-3 times a week and following a circuit training program on EA Sports Active 2 (cardio mixed with body weight strength training). I only have about 20 lbs to lose, and I know that what I really want is to reshape my body, not just see a number on a scale. I know I need to lift! I've lost all my confidence to get into the weight section, but I am DETERMINED to suck it up buttercup and get in there to start Stage 1 tomorrow!

I was in the same boat. I changed my gym and it took a while before I could join the new one.I was worried about going back and face the guys in the weight section. I went back this week and it was great! The feeling of being proud being a woman and using the free weights came straight back. Just do it! You'll feel great!
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Yes! I am so pumped to get back in there!

In the interest of being accountable and tracking everything, here's my beginning stats:
    CW: 126lbs
    GW: I have no idea; I'm more about the mirror than the scale
    Waist: 28
    Abdomen at navel: 31.5
    Hips: 35
    Thigh: 23.5

20130126_104641.jpg

20130126_104702.jpg
  • mcbellnz
    mcbellnz Posts: 145 Member
    Options

I am in the same boat as you - looking to reshape my body, reduce my body fat and drop two dress sizes. Good luck! I am about to start week three on Monday of NRoL - will wait four weeks before redoing my measurements and fat caliper pinchyness.
  • mcbellnz
    Options
    @mcbellnz - I did B1 yesterday and also found the swiss ball crunch way too easy. Ended up doing 12 reps each time rather than 8 (but felt a bit naughty for not following the book!).

I did B3 on Friday and found it a bit harder holding a 10kg dumbbell on my chest at the same time - I was pretty trashed though from putting all my weights up - although only a little bit!

Does anyone else have terrible grip strength on the deadlift? I wear little bike gloves (as I lost one of my weight training gloves), but I have to do an alternative grip on the deadlift even though I am only lifting 49 kg in total (49 x 2.2 = 107.8lb). I even had to put my 10kg dumbbells on my shoulders to do lunges because my arms were sore from the deadlift. It is not comfortable - but my gym only seems to have a 5kg and then 30kg weight bag (to hold across your shoulders/back).

Anyway, bring on week three tomorrow!
  • Coquette6
    Coquette6 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Woo, it felt sooo good to be lifting again! None of the men paid me any attention - or if they were, I certainly didn't notice from focusing on my squats. Started with just the bar, so 45lbs and could just manage 15 reps the first set and 12 the second set. Really looking forward to start adding plates to that bar.
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    Hi everyone.

A little background about me. I started NROL4W in 2012, got to Stage 4, ran a half-marathon and fell off the fitness wagon. I have not lifted in MONTHS (with the exception of deadlifting occasionally); therefore I am starting at Stage 1...all over again. I wouldn't feel right jumping back in to Stage 4 since it has been so long.

It's nice to see some of the same faces around. I have missed you all and the boards so much!! I hope to meet and learn about the other members on here too.

So, question for those that may be lurking and can provide insight. How much should I cut from my weight to start over. I last deadlifted 195 if that helps any. Should I cut it in half since I am going to be adding more weight each time as well as having so many more reps to start?

Thanks ladies. Happy lifting!
  • chicbuc
    Options
    At least you retained some strength! I'm starting with a 35# squat and body weight step ups. Shameful...lol. I did deadlift 105 pounds for 2 sets of 5 on Friday, but I LOVE deadlifts!
  • mcbellnz
    Options
    At least you retained some strength! I'm starting with a 35# squat and body weight step ups. Shameful...lol. I did deadlift 105 pounds for 2 sets of 5 on Friday, but I LOVE deadlifts!

I had to start with body weight step ups too, but was happy I could actually add weight almost immediately. I find deadlifts really hard! Obviously my back is fairly weak. Love filling in my workout chart at the gym and putting new weights on it - instead of just dating the chart and filling in the same thing over and over again.

Just a question for those in the know - I start week three this week, and my PT changed my appointment to Tuesday due to scheduling conflicts. I had already booked in to have a hit of squash (basically my first time ever, just for fun) on Thurs, so I can't do Tues, Thurs, Sat, so instead will do Tues, Wed, Fri - has anyone else missed a rest day this early in the programme? I am sure I will be fine......
  • chicbuc
    Options
    I wouldn't skip a rest day ever. They are vital. It would be better to only lift 2 times this week than skip a rest day.
  • jillybean_75
    jillybean_75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

I have about 70 lbs to lose...and I get right in there with the big boys. Honestly, I was intimidated at first, but I really don't care what anyone thinks anymore. I am in there to do what I need to do, not to worry about what they think of me. Go in there, strap on some gloves, and keep lifting. I find it refreshing when I am finished lifting to come out feeling all powerful, like WOW, I just squatted 115lbs, or deadlifted 100lbs. Just be you and don't worry about what the boys think. ;)
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I haven't lifted in months either . When i finished NroL4W , I played around with NROL4abs then hurt my back. So I am starting back here with body weight. KUDOS to you who can start with some weight. I am sure I could but I don't want to further injure myself.
  • mcbellnz
    Options
    I wouldn't skip a rest day ever. They are vital. It would be better to only lift 2 times this week than skip a rest day.

Eeek, okay. I guess I will see how I am feeling on Wednesday, but give myself permission to skip the workout if I need to.
  • okidoki7
    okidoki7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    hiya, im re-starting from stage 1, got to stage 3 then stopped due to injury...im actually lifting heavier now than what i was when i was doing the plan before, but i think thats more to do with the fact i now know what im capable of, so starting with higher weight...i think we all need to just do what we are capable of, i work out at home (so have to improvise as best i can with some things) i have to use my stairs for step ups, previously i was stepping up on the second step, but am now on the bottom step due to knee issues, but im holding 12kg dumbbells, and just doing what i can.....

feel free to add me for support :)
  • kr381806
    kr381806 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Question about the Step Ups...I finished workout 8A last night and it was 3 sets of 10. How do you make sure that you're working out each leg the same amount? When it was just 2 sets of 15, it was easy to just focus on one leg per set.

Last night I kinda split up the 10 reps into 5 per leg. Sorry this is a goofy question haha, but it just felt weird last night!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this has been answered before, and I have searched around but I couldn't find it.

If you are working out 3x per week, then stage 1 goes for 5 weeks (8 workouts), then in week 6 you are doing the Special Workouts?

The details of Workout A

Squat 15 reps - then rest for 60 seconds - Squat 15 reps

Then Alternating sets means you alternate the next two exercises all the same day? Or does this mean you alternate them on every other day you do Workout A?

Pushup 15 reps - rest 60 seconds - Seated Row 15 reps - rest 60 and then repeat for second set of both?

And alternate the next two exercises the same, between Step ups and Prone Jackknife.

Follow the chart accordingly to decrease reps/increase weights when possible.

Do I have all that right? I see people referring to "I did B1 today" so that makes me confused about the alternating sets thing.
  • chicbuc
    Options
    You've got it exactly right, deksgrl. I didn't do the special workouts the first 2 times I didn't finish the program, so I probably won't do it this time either.
  • elaine_des
    elaine_des Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    to kr381806

you are suppose to do 3 sets of 10 with each leg, 3 sets for the right, 3 set for the left.
  • tigertrax3
    tigertrax3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Should i be sore after workouts? After my second workout(which i thought kicked my butt) i wasn't sore at all the next day, not even a bit. Is that a sign that i should up the weights?